What IP's haven't gotten stagnant?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Notice how I'm saying stagnant. Not bad. A great game can be still be stagnant so long as doesn't reach the heights that it's predecessors set. Most franchises work in the way that the first entry or two is really impactful, but after that, they don't innovate nearly as much and repeat the same mechanics. Sometimes, there are major changes in direction that work like "Resident Evil 4". But otherwise, most go from "wow, this is amazing" to "hmm, this is good".

Gears of War judgment flopped.
Halo 4 was not nearly as impactful as Halo 1, 2 and 3.
Uncharted 3 failed to match up to Uncharted 2
Zelda has got in a repetitive rut in trying to copy Ocarina of Time
New Super Mario Bros has a total lack of direction
Yearly sports sequels: FIFA, Madden, NBA, etc.
Fighting game sequels (most of them)
Mass Effect 3 (where do I begin with this one?)
Let's be honest: GTA V was a ton of fun, but not nearly as revolutionary as older entries for their time

What sequels (esp in a series with more than 2 entries) haven't stagnated.

#3 Edited by gameofthering (10139 posts) -

I suppose that would be most games.

#4 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25602 posts) -

Rayman...? Donkey Kong...? This is why I would impose a rule of no less than three years between new iterations of an IP, were I the lord of gaming.

#5 Edited by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Rayman...? Donkey Kong...? This is why I would impose a rule of no less than three years between new iterations of an IP, were I the lord of gaming.

Well, Donkey Kong's gameplay hasn't evolved much at all. It hasn't had a revolutionary entry since the Country series.

And Rayman, it avoids stagnation by constantly changing itself up: 3D , then Rabbids, then 2D

#6 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 was one of my favorite games when it came out, now i dont even care enough to rent them.

Arkham City was my favorite game this gen, Origins did nothing for me.

Mass Effect 2 was one of my favorite games this gen, 3 did nothing for me.

90% of shooters.

Maybe Uncharted unless they do something way different.

#7 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70789 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Mass Effect 3 (where do I begin with this one?)

i would disagree with this one. But i think Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Need for Speed, NBA 2k and a few others have managed to have a quality in their games and maybe revived the series or managed to keep it going by making better sequels

#8 Posted by PAL360 (26733 posts) -

Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA, Red Dead, Bioshock...

#9 Posted by getyeryayasout (7183 posts) -

As much shit gets talked about Nintendo rehashes, they typically make significant changes and gameplay alterations between iterations of their franchises. They don't stagnate.

#10 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24924 posts) -

When you start getting to the third game most have probably figured it all out by then.

What Companies tend to do for the 4th game or beyond is they either Change it up dramatically (Control Change, Skill Tree Change, Item Addition, New Characters, etc.) (examples: Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 or Resident Evil Code Veronica to Resident Evil 4) or put the ip on hold so people would speculate and generate hype. (examples: Beyond Good and Evil 2, Half Life 3, or Shemune 3.) (examples of games that actually exist with this level of hype: The Elder Scrolls, Super Smash Bros, Grand Theft Auto)

#11 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

As much shit gets talked about Nintendo rehashes, they typically make significant changes and gameplay alterations between iterations of their franchises. They don't stagnate.

Unfortunately, they do.

3D Mario is an example of where they continue to be inventive. But elsewhere, they suffer the same burden as every other developer.

#12 Posted by Heil68 (43508 posts) -

Uncharted

Mass Effect

Elder Scrolls

#13 Posted by TheEroica (13326 posts) -

There is not a conceivable chance that Mass effect is a stagnant franchise... Bioware handled the franchise well by telling a three part story staggerd by 2 years a piece and now creating a new story in the same universe... Mass Effect 4 is easily my most anticipated game...

Also, did UBIsoft just prove that given proper care, listening to fan feedback and making sensible changes, that assassins creed refuses to be a stagnant franchise?

Oh and portal.... Easily the freshest franchise going... The next portal game will crush souls with its goodness....

#14 Posted by Boddicker (2535 posts) -

I suppose that would be most games.

Assassin's Creed -- Ubisoft is going to milk this cash cow dry until people lose interest.

Mass Effect -- EA pretty much destroyed this franchise.

Fallout -- needs a drastic setting change badly. I would love to see the Great War from the Chinese side. Atleast give us Hawaii or Alaska. All this Boston talk leaves me cold.

GTA -- as great as 5 is supposed to be I have zero interest in yet another GTA.

Bioshock -- needs to incorporate more RPG elements as promised and fully reneged (sp?) on with Infinite.

Batman: Arkham Asylum -- I lost interest after playing the first one. Probably just me.

Most Fighting Games need a reboot.

#15 Posted by gameofthering (10139 posts) -

@Boddicker: All seems about right.

I especially hope Batman gets changed up a bit in the next game.

#16 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21562 posts) -

Mario, i am playing 3D world and it's as fun as ever.

Splinter Cell, i'm having more fun with the latest so bring on the sequel on next gen.

Fallout, after 3 and new vegas i'm hungry for more fallout.

Farcry, after 3 i wanna see what setting 4 will be and 3 is addicting, i spent hours just exploring.

#17 Posted by Netret0120 (2041 posts) -

Several games. Most infact. As long as it's still fun i'm not too bothered and the odd new ip

#18 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Any game series that have a 4th installment are usually stagnant

#19 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

All except the Nintendo games

#20 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4370 posts) -

Pretty much gaming as a whole is fairly stagnant nowadays. Which is okay in my book no longer many games that look appealing to me but ends up not delivering. It's much easier to know what I want and just ignore everything else now. . with of course a few exceptions such as wonderful 101 not sure what to make out of that.