What if XB1's specs were different?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

I don't know in depth answers about tech specs. So what if the XB1 had 128MB of ESRAM vs it's 32MB for example? Or what if it had 12GB of its RAM? What if it's processor was 2.25GHZ? What if it had combinations of these? What are some what if scenarios and how it would play out?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Seriously, whats with all these new accounts in the last couple of weeks?

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

I don't know in depth answers about tech specs. So what if the XB1 had 128MB of ESRAM vs it's 32MB for example? Or what if it had 12GB of its RAM? What if it's processor was 2.25GHZ? What if it had combinations of these? What are some what if scenarios and how it would play out?

no difference at all, its bottlenecked by the slow and cheap GPU

GPU costs up to 40 or 50% of a gaming machine and thats were M$ got cheap

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Batt1eRatt1e

@Nengo_Flow: Son, I had an account at GS long before you were even thought of. Try like 2003-2004. I stopped coming here. What's with every single time someone new makes a post someone asks the idiot question, what's with these new accounts? I don't, what with these old accounts? Answer the question or get off the thread.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
@batt1eratt1e said:

@Nengo_Flow: Son, I had an account at GS long before you were even thought of. Try like 2003-2004. I stopped coming here. What's with every single time someone new makes a post someone asks the idiot question, what's with these new accounts? I don't, what with these old accounts? Answer the question or get off the thread.

aw... he's all upset

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Batt1eRatt1e

@Nengo_Flow: Oh yes, fuming

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:
@batt1eratt1e said:

aw... he's all upset

haha

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

cows will still be cows with ps4

even if the x1 was more powerful bad PR is what has hurt it the most (Still think don tried to sabotage consoles so everyone play shitty zanga games)

esram is harder to work with and would still be same boat where the 32gb is right now

12gbs may been nice but, it's even with ps4 and that isn't the issue as it's the speed of it.

~o well one had to be weaker then the other and shouldn't be any shocker that the ps4 is.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The gpu would still be much weaker on the x1.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Well if the Xbox One was equal to the PS4 in power it wouldn't have the negative press on the gaming forums about bad ports. That does eventually filter into the general audience and can hurt the reputation.

Other than that nothing will have changed.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

Actually It has16 GB of ram.8 GB eMMC NAND Flash and 8GB of DDR3. lol:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, SW would always have a merry Christmas.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

If the GPU was as good or better than PS4's I'd get it ... enthusiastically. But just a little over 1 tflop doesn't cut it. Both of these systems should have been a minimum of 2 tflops. At least PS4 is somewhat close to that.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Specs don't change whats behind Microsoft's paywall.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

in the holy gaming texts written on http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ by the prophets of gaming, a prophecy was unveiled. "In the year of 2013 the savior of gaming, PlayStation 4, Son of Sony, will be born" .

^ This mean that there are no alternate worlds where the PS4 wouldn't dominate.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

No point of have 128MB of ESRAM and 12GB of RAM when the GPU is unable to take full advantage of it. Not to mention ESRAM is expensive and the die area would be quite large, contributing to the overall size of the console.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

What if they ditched Kinect and put that money into the X1's hardware? That's the only "what if" that needs to be asked.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@leandrro: lol. I wish I could believe only the good things, gathered from pro Sony sites too. Keep that brainwash to yourself.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@indigenous_euphoria said:

@batt1eratt1e said:

Actually It has16 GB of ram.

8 GB eMMC NAND Flash and 8GB

of

DDR3. lol:P

Please stop posting when u have no clue what ur talking about...

Nand flash has nothing to do with ram in this system andis just a sstorage for the OS and updates...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It would still have the same boring exclusive franchises and they'd still be few and far between.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

@indigenous_euphoria said:

@batt1eratt1e said:

Actually It has16 GB of ram.

8 GB eMMC NAND Flash and 8GB

of

DDR3. lol:P

Please stop posting when u have no clue what ur talking about...

Nand flash has nothing to do with ram in this system andis just a sstorage for the OS and updates...

You took me seriously lol:p But i don't believe that's it's sole purpose is for OS updates. and I know Nand Flash isn't the same as ram. Nand cant be used for heavy write operations. The Nand would deteriorate too fast.

I can see this doing server caching tho. With tiled resources and HSA it really would help because it reads the data faster than a standard hardrive and would accelerate serial processing and further compression for a server cache.

8gb nand is massive for server cache too. This is how Cloud will have massive memory. 8gb nand per console memory will never be a problem. The only problem is the 8gb Nand cant be really utilized offline as its purpose is probably to accelerate and provide memory for cloud caching. Just a thought

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

tc

i think it would be a moot point, at least for me it would be.

if xb1 were far more powerful than ps4, it would still come down to games for someone like myself. personally, forza 5 is the only next gen console exclusive i'm remotely interested in, and i'm not going to buy an xbone just to play it.

but i guess the greater question relates to how more graphics, a better reveal etc would have affected initial sales of xb1 vs ps4.

who knows? i think ms handled their reveal very poorly and failed to describe what they were up to. sony gained a lot of momentum, and I suspect quite a few people were ready to jump on next gen after the very long 7th gen.

maybe if the showings had been more even, the console war would seem more even now.

one things for sure - if ms wanted to charge $499 instead of ps4's $399, well, with or without kinect I expect better graphics from the more expensive system.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

It would overheat and the bloated ram would be a bottleneck to its weak processor.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

@batt1eratt1e: Hooah bro. I used to wonder that but Ive seen and used both consoles now and they're both damn good consoles. I don't know why or how power became so important, because the PS2 wasn't all that powerful, yet awesome. Also if I was all crazy about power then I wouldn't game on a console, I'd have the true power in gaming, a top notch PC.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

If the Xbox One was the more powerful console, this board would be exactly the same down to the last post, only the fans would swap and make the same arguments for different consoles.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@realjaysonguy said:

If the Xbox One was the more powerful console, this board would be exactly the same down to the last post, only the fans would swap and make the same arguments for different consoles.

Yes.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

No, wrong direction.

If MS didn't want to bet on 8 GB GDDR5, it should have configured for 2GB GDDR5 + 8GB DDR3 memory set-up and relocated the 32MB eSRAM chip space for a large GPU.

Such config was shown as iBuyPower's $499 Steam machine with Radeon HD R9-270 (2.38 TFlops). Radeon R9 270 plays BF4 better than PS4's 1.84 TFlops GPU.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#28 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

It would be bigger. Right now its a really big ugly looking VCR. With better specs it would be the size of 10 ps4s lol

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

More expensive then less market penetration.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@batt1eratt1e said:

@Nengo_Flow: Oh yes, fuming

meh chana not fuming

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I wouldn't give a shit what the specs were.

Im not interested in xbox one because....

1) Price is too high.

2) It has no games on it that I want, or any announced that I want. Given microsofts track record of the types of games it pushes I don't forsee it having many exclusive must own games.

3) I don't want or care about Kinect.

4) It pushes too much on multimedia all in one box stuff I don't care about when all I want a gaming system for is to play games.

5) It forces a purchase of XBL in order to talk to friends, send messages, use Netflix and so on for a price that costs more for PS+ which isn't required as much and gives back a lot more.

And a dozen other little things that have nothing at all to do with the systems specs. Xbox one doesn't interest me not because of its lack of power, but because of everything else. Ill get one at some point but it will be another year or 2.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178831 Posts

What if. What if I hit the lottery.....

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@realjaysonguy said:

Preeeeetty much.

Also I would have probably got an XBO instead of a PS4 as first 8th gen machine.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The Specs don't change whats behind Microsoft's paywall.

This has always been my biggest philosophical gripe with Microsoft's consoles, OG XBox excluded. AA batteries, charge kits, netflix behind paywall, WiFi adapters (until hardware updates)...they milked the shit out of you with the 360.

I didn't get an OG Xbox because, well, it wasn't anywhere near as good as PS2 in terms of software.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

I'm not really concerned with the specs. Moreso their policy and attitude toward software development.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Microsoft could have done this way differently. But they prioritized media capabilities and Kinect instead of gaming, which was'nt really surprising when you look at the last years of the X360.

Like previously stated here, more of the same slow memory wouldn't help the X1. It would have to have a faster main memory and a better GPU.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Lot of what if's won't change what is. Besides if they did improve the specs the xflops price would be even higher.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

the console, its power nor its price is the problem , Its M$. I knew M$ was a greedy arrogant corporation last gen and its why I had zero interest in the 360. The 360 was breaking weeks after launch and M$ didnt even care until 2-3 years down the line. They're still a greedy arrogant corporation but they decided to be open about it and thats why they are struggling to this day..I find it comical that lems are relying on a price drop or a new kinect free version this early into the gen. M$ is not the type of company that price drops after 2 months.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I still wouldnt care about it cause none of MS 1st party titles are interesting. Sony always delivered in high quality exclusives so I still would support playstation