What if the Xbox One was all digital, no discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DrRockso87 (2507 posts) -

What if Microsoft announced the Xbox One is an "all-digital" console. No discs, just digital. Would the reaction have been worse than it was?

#2 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Yep, a whole lot worse, but I wouldn't mind it since I'm trying to go digital more for next gen consoles.

#3 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -
That would be suicide.
#4 Posted by GravityX (679 posts) -

What if Microsoft announced the Xbox One is an "all-digital" console. No discs, just digital. Would the reaction have been worse than it was?

DrRockso87

It would have been the same, people want their disk. So they can collect games, get shafted by Gamestop, socialize with their friends. People hate change. I'm going all digital next gen regardless.

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -
as long as the price was right like PC!
#6 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

GravityX

It would have been the same, people want their disk. So they can collect games, get shafted by Gamestop, socialize with their friends. People hate change. I'm going all digital next gen regardless.

only idiots think they get shifted by a company who makes it's earnings off traded games... They CAN'T give you what you would got off ebay BUT, IF you are smart and take use of their special offers every couples weeks you can come pretty close!
#7 Posted by GravityX (679 posts) -

[QUOTE="GravityX"]

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

k2theswiss

only idiots think they get shifted by a company who makes it's earnings off traded games... They CAN'T give you what you would got off ebay BUT, IF you are smart and take use of their special offers every couples weeks you can come pretty close!

It's you getting shafted. Buy a 60 buck game traded back for 25 bucks if that. And they sell it for 55 bucks. Thats a shaft. Anways if you like to be shafted that's fine.

#8 Posted by Alpha_S_ (390 posts) -

I personally would have preferred if they had tried to go all digital over the half way attempt they went with which tried to impose onerous restrictions on physical copies without offering all the benefits of a truly digital system. 

#9 Posted by GravityX (679 posts) -

I personally would have preferred if they had tried to go all digital over the half way attempt they went with which tried to impose onerous restrictions on physical copies without offering all the benefits of a truly digital system. 

Alpha_S_

They knew getting rid of disk would piss off the big box stores, so they couldn't go all digital. They should have just made it where you wanted to go all digital, with benefits like early releases, family share, etc.

#10 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

Then the Xbone would truely have been a gimped PC. 

#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="GravityX"]

GravityX

It's you getting shafted. Buy a 60 buck game traded back for 25 bucks if that. And they sell it for 55 bucks. Thats a shaft. Anways if you like to be shafted that's fine.

You walk in gamestop to sell your game you should already know that they need give you less then what they would get... They are pretty much a middle man. That is business, they are providing a service for a price. END of story. Going through ebay is more of a shaft... Charged 9% for doing nothing! besides hosting website that cost pennies to run
#12 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="GravityX"]

GravityX

Uh my brother usually sells his games for like around 70% of what he bought them for. You act like having options for selling your games is a bad thing.

#13 Posted by kinectthedots (1593 posts) -

Exactly the same as it is now!

xbox fans would say they always wanted it and that it's the thing that made them decide to get it over PS4.  I remember for the short while that the always online DRM for x1 was real...xbox fans were saying it was good for the industry and everyone should embarrass it, yeaaah.  

#14 Posted by navyguy21 (12730 posts) -
It would fail like PSPGO
#15 Posted by GravityX (679 posts) -

[QUOTE="GravityX"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"] only idiots think they get shifted by a company who makes it's earnings off traded games... They CAN'T give you what you would got off ebay BUT, IF you are smart and take use of their special offers every couples weeks you can come pretty close! cain006

Uh my brother usually sells his games for like around 70% of what he bought them for. You act like having options for selling your games is a bad thing.

That's fine. Your choice. I don't do it. To each their own.

#16 Posted by Basinboy (11003 posts) -

I'd adopt.  I plan to with PS4 and already operate that way on my PC.

#17 Posted by lamprey263 (22875 posts) -
remember the PSP Go? to put it simply, retailers wouldn't sell it since they can't sell games for it, you'd have to live next to an MS store to get one or rely on mail orders
#18 Posted by Born_Lucky (1615 posts) -

DrRockso87

All digital would mean that 80% of gamers worldwide wouldn't be able to buy games for it on a regular basis.

It would have been the dumbest move since the invention of the wexerflop.

What's a wexerflop?  . . Exactly.

#19 Posted by kuu2 (6888 posts) -

All planning on being all digital.

#20 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

this is sw so obviously, two discs bad.

one disc better.

no discs  lawdy lawdy glory hallelujah no discs makes games bettah!!!!!

#21 Posted by Darth-Samus (3995 posts) -

Pretty random made-up proposal.

However, I would never, ever, ever purchase one.

#22 Posted by AdobeArtist (22792 posts) -

If it matched Steam pricing model, it could work. The savings would provide incentive.

But that would be an unlikely scenario, even more so than consoles discarding physical media altogether.

#23 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

If it matched Steam pricing model, it could work. The savings would provide incentive.

But that would be an unlikely scenario, even more so than consoles discarding physical media altogether.

AdobeArtist

How is all digital less likely then discarding phyiscal media? Aren't they the same? :? 

#24 Posted by AdobeArtist (22792 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Jonwh18

How is all digital less likely then discarding phyiscal media? Aren't they the same? :? 

I meant the chances of console DD pricing matching Steam (PC) being less likely than the platform getting away from dics.

#25 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Then it wouldn't exist to me.
#26 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

I meant the chances of console DD pricing matching Steam (PC) being less likely than the platform getting away from dics.

Ohh, that makes more sense. 

#27 Posted by Brean24 (1659 posts) -
That would be awesome. I have bought two retail games in the past 5 years(Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2), and in that same time period I have bought and downloaded hundreds of games on Steam.
#28 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

AdobeArtist
It would be too much of a niche market. Retail presence pushes a huge amount of games to both gamers and general consumers. Digital only market would kill popularity regardless of prices. There would also be a huge risk of retailer backlash. Its quite possible the only place to buy your consoles would be online.
#29 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

GravityX

Or use ebay & shop smarter so you don't get shafted by anyone.
#30 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Would have been a tragedy.

#31 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -
I would like it if not for my stupid Internet cap.
#32 Posted by RR360DD (11543 posts) -

I actually think there would have been less of a shit storm, because with digital copies of games, people know they can't just lend it to a friend or sell it on or buy used (not yet anyway). So yeah, they would've taken heat from people with slow internet connections / old fashioned collectors but otherwise wouldn've been great.

Effectively they did reveal a digital console. Only difference being that they allowed you to install the game from a disc rather than download it for people who have slow internet. Yet people where stupid and joined the hate bandwagon, thinking MS were stipping them of their 'rights' by not allowing them to lend to a friend etc etc.

But at its core it was a digital console with the convenience of installing games off disc.

I hope they still enforce their vision in a couple of years. F*ck the whiners, let them cry. :cool: