What if ps4/X1 were monsters that rivaled uber PCs but..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

were released in 2011? What would the hardware be like? Would they be more powerful than the consoles we have now? How much RAM would they have? How much would they cost? Would they be bigger, use more power, be louder, have more overheating issues?

Finally, would they be considered a true next gen leap back in 2011 considering they are using top of the line PC hardware?

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

@Motokid6: my thoughts exactly. Didn't know how to respond to this thread initially

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

A high end PC of 2011 would indeed be more powerful than the PS4 and Xbone

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Not sure i understand the question. But if a console used high end hardware itd be just as expensive as a high end pc. At which point youd just get a pc.

this. they need to be cheaper than high-end PCs in order to have any market.

anyway, the later the console is released, the better performance it will have for the same planned retail price. moore's law. as long as the price consist of mainly the silicon used, and not peripherals...

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

Consoles will be cheaper as they are designed for gaming while the computer is designed to do a lot more and does a lot of processing in the background. The main benefit of the console is that everyone has the same experience while on the pc the developers has to start with the lowest allowed PC specification and the experience is different across the board. It isn't a leveled playing field when it comes to comes to online gaming.

The player with the better specs will always have the advantage.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xplode_games

@-Snooze-: None of you dumbasses know? Ok, i'll tell you. If the PS4 had been released in 2011 with high end specs, then it would've cost let's say $500. Because Sony is not dumb enough to release another $599 console.

However, the specs would put it probably a bit under a Radeon HD 6970 which would make it a shade weaker than the PS4 we have now.

Also, there is no way in hell the PS4 even the uber model in 2011 for $500 would have 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM. It would have 4 GB or possibly 8 GB of DDR3. In either case that would make it slower than the PS4 we have now.

The CPU would be roughly the same but maybe a 6 core instead of an 8 core because they are already losing money even at $500 and they don't want to go bankrupt.

This "uber" PS4 would big a big box that is difficult to cool and is much more unreliable than today's PS4.

The biggest difference would be that it would've shocked everyone back in 2011 with such amazing high end specs. And for the entire gen everyone would talk about how powerful the PS4 is.

Instead everyone today considers the PS4 a weak console that is not a true next gen jump.

Kind of how everyone just a year ago thought the PS3 was so damn powerful because it was for like a couple of years before PCs really left it in the rear view. But console gamers never got over it and still until just recently gushed over the amazing hardware.

Thoughts?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

were released in 2011? What would the hardware be like? Would they be more powerful than the consoles we have now? How much RAM would they have? How much would they cost? Would they be bigger, use more power, be louder, have more overheating issues?

Finally, would they be considered a true next gen leap back in 2011 considering they are using top of the line PC hardware?

7970 was release around Dec 2011. 7970 will still beat 7850 at 900 Mhz (~1.84 TFLOPS)

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xplode_games

@ronvalencia: Actually the 7970 was announced in December 2011 and released in January or February 2012 I believe. I remember when I bought my PC in April 2012, I wanted a GTX 670 and I couldn't find one because they were just released and still sold out. The 7970 was released earlier in the year and I found it too expensive for the performance back then.

Had the PS4 been released in 2011 with a 6970, everyone would've been over the moon about it. They would've said it's a monster console with graphics that rival high end PCs. And it was true for the end of 2011 especially when you take optimization into account.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

If I was a charming stud I'd have a girlfriend by now.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xplode_games

If I had read the topic and subsequent intelligent replies, I wouldn't have come in here and made a dildo out of myself.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Xplode_games said:

@ronvalencia: Actually the 7970 was announced in December 2011 and released in January or February 2012 I believe. I remember when I bought my PC in April 2012, I wanted a GTX 670 and I couldn't find one because they were just released and still sold out. The 7970 was released earlier in the year and I found it too expensive for the performance back then.

Had the PS4 been released in 2011 with a 6970, everyone would've been over the moon about it. They would've said it's a monster console with graphics that rival high end PCs. And it was true for the end of 2011 especially when you take optimization into account.

9th of Jan 2012 was for retail.

7970 was "paper launched" on 22nd Dec 2011. http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-launches-worlds-fastest-2011dec22.aspx

For optimizations, Wii U has it's own "Mantle" like graphics APIs for AMD Cypress (VLIW5) type GPU and AMD could have recycled Wii U's API work for the PC.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#15 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Oh no here comes Dr. Google.