What happens if Samsung and Apple joins CONSOLE MARKET?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

What would happened if Sony goes bankrupt, Samsung takes Sony place over? and then at the same time Apple kills Microsoft and Apple also joins into console war?

Right now: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft

Later: Nintendo, Samsung, Apple

What would happened with Gaming?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I don't think anyone is interested in getting into the console market.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

MacboxStation-I

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FreedomFreeLife

Would we see more Kinect style games? More console controller games? More Table type games?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They'll probably lose money

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife:

If that happens, then Nintendo will get all my console money from then on.

Apple make overly expensive fashion accessories with no real power; and while I love Samsung, I don't think they have what it takes to make a decent console.

Also colour me impressed, you made a decent thread.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Massive losses for both companies.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

god no, would not buy an apple product. Maybe if google released one.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FreedomFreeLife

@_Matt_ said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

Apple make overly expensive fashion accessories with no real power; and while I love Samsung, I don't think they have what it takes to make a decent console.

But im not sure how long Nintendo can stay alive because if you look at Sony then Sony loses a lot money, massive losses and they dominate right now console market... but Samsung is 5 time bigger and richer than Sony... and Apple is 2.5 time bigger than Microsoft. For Apple it would be no problem for buying Nintendo out. Apple expensive, yet dominating PC and mobile market. Why is that so?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Groce. Samsung and Apple are the kings of advertising with overhyped (still quality) products.. They are each a mix of the worst aspects of Nintendo and Microsoft. It works out fine in their existing products but I don't think it would translate to the gaming market

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They would be a fitting replacement since Nintendo and Sony are on the way out.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

They will lose BILLIONS of dollars from R&D, Marketing,Manufacturing,games,exclusives

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

I think if someone else got into the business it might be under a Steambox manufacturer.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@_Matt_ said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

But im not sure how long Nintendo can stay alive because if you look at Sony then Sony loses a lot money, massive losses and they dominate right now console market... but Samsung is 5 time bigger and richer than Sony... and Apple is 2.5 time bigger than Microsoft. For Apple it would be no problem for buying Nintendo out. Apple expensive, yet dominating PC and mobile market. Why is that so?

1. Nintendo has been incredibly profitable and is not remotely close to bankruptcy. The WiiU might not be doing well, but after the Wii, DS, and now 3DS, Nintendo is on very firm financial ground.

2. Sony is doing well in its gaming sector (well at least the PS4 is, not Vita), but its other business sectors are doing horrendously. Samsung has destroyed Sony in the TV market, they've given up on their PC sector, and their mobile phone sector (which has gotten a lot better with Xperia) is still struggling against Apple and Samsung.

3. Apple is not dominating the PC/Mobile market. Their share of the PC market is tiny, and in the mobile sector, they're losing ground to Samsung and other Android devices (that's not to say they're not doing incredibly well, but they're certainly not "dominating" that market).

As for the idea that someone could come in and take over the console market....well, I doubt that would happen. Companies like Samsung and Apple would rather devote their resources to the mobile market, whose sales utterly and completely eclipse the console market. It's simple math: which business would you rather own, the company that sells mobile devices to every man, woman, and child with new, expensive iterations every year (which people are willing to buy) or the company that releases a new product once every 7-10 years, relies on royalty fees for games sold, and whose primary market are 13-25 year olds with very little disposable income?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

apple would sell a system as powerful as a ps2 for $800

samsung might a console worth buying

they would both build a square box and apple would sue them again for having smooth corners...

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

They would be a fitting replacement since Nintendo and Sony are on the way out.

lol You better hope those 2 companies do not enter the console war. They will KO your beloved MS in no time and you will never hear about Xbox ever again lol

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

What would happened if Sony goes bankrupt, Samsung takes Sony place over? and then at the same time Apple kills Microsoft and Apple also joins into console war?

I don't see any of that happening. If all 5 companies get into the market, it will be flooded and we'll experience another Crash like we did back in the 80's. It seems Amazon is more ready then Apple or Samsung to get into the console business. Their only problem is they have nothing but Android games, which most gamers could care less about.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Apple console?..will cost $1000usd yet only have the same hardware specs as Xbox One. :p

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Apple console?..will cost $1000usd yet only have the same hardware specs as Xbox One. :p

This. People think microsoft overcharges imagine what Apple would do.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

I suspect they wouldn't attempt to compete in the general console gaming market. They'd likely lowball, and attempt to appeal to a wider market. Similar to something like AppleTV offering game support.

Apple forayed into the console market before, and failed horribly. They are at a completely different place now, and will likely build on what is currently in place.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Samsung won't bring a console out, they would of seen how the Ouya worked out and thought best not, andriod based gaming just doesn't work as a home console style, it just doesn't .

Apple on the other hand could make a pretty sleak console if they really wanted to, I mean there up there with Microsoft when it comes to computers and there tablets and air laptops are just amazing graphically, I don't think I've ever seen a screen so clear and bright before in my life.

but Steam are bringing out them steam machines, and it even looks like more of a game changer is what amazon seem to be doing, there buying up a few half decent companies and hiring some devs aswel, there more likely to be bringing some sort of console out it seems.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@FreedomFreeLife said:

would be very strange.

before i had a vote of no confidence, and 'after' i have a vote of no confidence.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By inggrish

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@_Matt_ said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

Samsung and Apple being bigger than the 'big 3' doesn't mean they can make a decent console. In fact, in my eyes it could mean the exact opposite; them being rich means they know how to make money and milk people of their money; I would rather not have some glamorous yet ultimately crap console for far more money than they are worth.

For instance, I would imagine if Apple had made a console this gen, it would have been almost identical to the Wii U in specs and features. It would have a high quality screen on the pad, sure, but the rest of the console would be almost the same; except stupidly expensive and maybe look prettier.

An Apple or Samsung console will likely be along Nintendo's business model, but without the decent first party.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

The Samsung GalaxyStation

The Apple Ibox

Probable would feel just about the same as now. Underpowered consoles that struggle as soon as they are released.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inggrish

@k2theswiss said:

apple would sell a system as powerful as a ps2 for $800

samsung might a console worth buying

they would both build a square box and apple would sue them again for having smooth corners...

Preeeeetty much.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

consoles would start to look "sexier" as people would be saying

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Apple MacPad, twice as expensive as the competition despite not offering anything better, and every year it gets a newer release that adds little things that the competition has had since launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well I am sure Apple would make a remarkable looking console, but just like the rest of the products, the inside is pretty average (abeit usually put together nicely).

I suppose we would likely see a console like that, a very pricy console, but at best very average in terms of specs, fairly relaible.

On the software side it would not do too well, Apple might have alot of Cash reserve, but they have shown time and time Again that they don't really use that cast to do alot of research, rather they would license what others have made.

So the Apple console would likely do far worse in terms of software then just about any other console, reliable, look good, not be powerful.

Samsung would have a far better chance of entering the console market, given how they can PRODUCE almost EVERYTHING they need internally and write it off, Means that they be bale to put a powerful console up.

They will liekly feel fairly cheap, and in rue samsung style, have every possible kind og hardware and software possability thrown at it, yet excell at none. Samsung does not have the best coding department, and internally Samsung seems confused as to where the products should go, look at thier phones and such, likely the most powerful in class, TVs high ranking in the average consumer TVs. but all of them has softwar that would make a blind man cringe.

Now here is the important part: None of them has a focus on the livingroom for them, the Whole "dominate the livingroom" once had meaning, it does not now, due to the advent of smartphones, why only dominate the livingroom, when you can dictate peoples Lifes?

None would be prepared for atleast 2 gens of continuous losses las is almost standard in the console buisness. None would be interrested in playing guarddog in the software for each such system. (Apple had a try at consoles once, and they dropped it faster then a hot potato).

But I do bring you another Scenario which MIGHT happen TC. What if ther ecame to be a unified console archetecture, where different Makers, could make thier take on the console? We might just have seen a glimpse of the future with the Steambox, not the steambox itself, but what if the Whole console maker thing went third party? with services as Playstation, Xbox and Steam simply being programs or apps running on it?

In that case I could see both apple and samsung want atleast a try. They would not have to have the huge headache of the software side, or dealing with publsihers and Devs constantly, bogging Down the bottom line, but simply deliver hardware? As of now the steamboxes are not that, there should be some base componant part to this, a minimum for each "gen" with each Company free t oadd to that, such as instead of MEchanical HDDs then SSDs, more USB ports, better build and such.

And then each 5 years swap to a new bottumline, with each Company free to add what they think is worth it.

But the scanario you put out TC is fairly pointless, as there is Little Money to get in gaming, especially as ha hardware manufactor, the Whole "Building at a loss" certainly does not look to be the way farwards if we look at MS or Sony, both game up on that this time around, Nintendo never foolish enough to try, since most gamers don't buy enough games to make that model sustainable, and the "Pay to online" either needs big incentives, which cost, or consumers will not pay such fee.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

More competition = good thing

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

Apple would sell IOS games with an upgraded AppleTV. I don't think Samsung wants to enter the market now. They don't have the shared infrastructure to make the move make sense IMO. Amazon will enter the market however. I can see them selling a console for an upgraded Prime membership.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I love how the OP snuck in Sony going belly up. Jesus, do you Lems jack off to this or something? You better start worrying about Steambox and Amazon, real talk.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Krelian-co: Well, there are the Kool-Aid drinkers. They'll buy anything Apple and at any price. He He. ☺☺☺

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Apple are only interested in making over priced under powered gimicky garbage, that has already been filled my Microsoft, well unless Apple want to take them on head to head...

Samsung is the only other company that deserves a little respect. think they are busy doing other stuff to be able to expanding into devoting time and money into consoles though, their other businesses are probably more profitable investments.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14413 Posts

Gaming will be doomed.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

flappy bird the console version more free to play games

CARNAGES41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CARNAGES41
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

Samsung could do well

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11230 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Who's to say that Apple will price their console like they do their smartphones? not every apple product is overrated garbage like the iPhone.

Recently been into to Macbooks, Macbook pro may be expensive, but it destroys any ultrabook from Sony or Samsung or Asus that actually cost the same yet, poorer battery life, no IPS panel, no retina-esque display (usually 1440x900 / 1920x1080p instead of Macbooks 2880x1800p!) + lower build quality etc. There's a reason it gets 5/5 ratings everywhere.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

samsung? stick to tvs and phones.

apple...go ahead, just be smarter than ms and not make their console a money drain

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

This is not a good thread or a good topic to talk about.

hoyalawya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 hoyalawya
Member since 2014 • 344 Posts

I can see more companies enter the console market in the near future. The smartphone, tablet and TV markets are getting saturated. There won't be a lot of growth in those areas. The TV provider market (cable, satellite, etc) has been exclusively owned by the telecom companies (at least in the USA). Despite mobile device growth, the large part of the population still watch several hours of TV daily. I see it as the new frontier for the big tech companies. They can sell their own contents, take a cut from content provides, sell subscription, make profit from the boxes, etc. Soon everyone will be competing to put a computer underneath your TV set.