what happened to this place ?!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2567 posts) -

it used to have alot of users

but now i noticed that there is pretty much only few good posters here and the rest are trolls and even those trolls are few as well

is this because the new look for Gamespot that made most people leave here?

#2 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3910 posts) -

am i on the good posters list? please tell me i must know

also the bone happened aka the y box haha it turned people away from gaming

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (39235 posts) -

Yes. Quite a few people left.

Combine that with a TOU nobody cares abut, and you get System Wars. Although honestly, it's not that different. We just have a lot less legit users here.

Like me. I'm so good.

#4 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

I am sure GS ask themselves this every day...

#5 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

inb4lock

But yes, a lot of people left because of the redesign. Among other things.

#6 Posted by nutcrackr (12469 posts) -

redesign = broken stuff, less community interaction and slower site = rage quits.

#7 Posted by -Damien- (5302 posts) -

well because this is the only gaming board left in gamespot. Other gaming boards are managed by gameFaq, you can't post on them from gamespot

#8 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2567 posts) -
#9 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2567 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

I am sure GS ask themselves this every day...

yeah that was the dumbest idea from them and i also think their reviews are part of the reason why most left

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (39235 posts) -
#11 Edited by -Damien- (5302 posts) -
#12 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6389 posts) -

A lot of Things happened.

The first dent likely came with the departure of Jeff Gerstman and a handful of the staff members, which left a good deal of users with doubt about the site.

The second (and more visible negative) was the change of the TOU on the forums. Believe it or not, there used to be conversations on sw and ot, not just trolling threads and rabid cows, but a fairly well patrolled place where it was possible to have a discussion. When the new TOU (since then changed atleast once since) most users WHO were interrested in actual conversation left, since there were nolonger room for anything but the criminally insane that you often see in this sub forum.

All because some moron thought that the average user here had an ounce of selfcontrol and logical thought, and wish for a good community.

The third was the redesign without a doubt, had the new GS launched in the state it is in now, it might not have been so bad, but it was quite horrible and incredibly buggy, almost killing off the site alone.

If GS are to have just the semblence of a forum it once had, it would need new way more strict TOU for the forums, I know they have already gotten stricter once, but while I am fine with people jabbing at eachother, Whole threads dedicated to the bile of a specific person is simply not pleasent. And I do miss the time where threads having no actual facts in them, would be locked up faster and harder then you could say "F*** Nintendo"

#13 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3910 posts) -

@CyberLips: why this would get locked i'm an old user here ?

@ghostwarrior7 86freedomfreak yes both of you are good users

well screw u i dont care what u think anyway u what this place fukin sucks!!!!! oh..wait.. u said im good yaaayyyyyy this song comes to mind

#14 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2567 posts) -

@-Damien-: yes you too :)

@Maddie_Larkin said:

A lot of Things happened.

The first dent likely came with the departure of Jeff Gerstman and a handful of the staff members, which left a good deal of users with doubt about the site.

The second (and more visible negative) was the change of the TOU on the forums. Believe it or not, there used to be conversations on sw and ot, not just trolling threads and rabid cows, but a fairly well patrolled place where it was possible to have a discussion. When the new TOU (since then changed atleast once since) most users WHO were interrested in actual conversation left, since there were nolonger room for anything but the criminally insane that you often see in this sub forum.

All because some moron thought that the average user here had an ounce of selfcontrol and logical thought, and wish for a good community.

The third was the redesign without a doubt, had the new GS launched in the state it is in now, it might not have been so bad, but it was quite horrible and incredibly buggy, almost killing off the site alone.

If GS are to have just the semblence of a forum it once had, it would need new way more strict TOU for the forums, I know they have already gotten stricter once, but while I am fine with people jabbing at eachother, Whole threads dedicated to the bile of a specific person is simply not pleasent. And I do miss the time where threads having no actual facts in them, would be locked up faster and harder then you could say "F*** Nintendo"

all good points

i sad that the mods let the few trolls with their alt accounts from all sides run wild and bash games they have never played just because they are not one their system of choice

#15 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: Because SW is a place where we talk about games and systems, it's not the place to rant.

#16 Posted by Telekill (4406 posts) -

System Wars has become the System Cold Wars. Xbox players were ripping PS players at the beginning of last gen and then with this gen it was the reverse. Both sides must have gotten sick of it.

#17 Posted by Zaibach (13444 posts) -

The lunatics took over the asylum

#18 Posted by Alcapello (798 posts) -

xbox happen

#19 Edited by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -

I noticed the greatest drop off was after the redesign. I think a lot of people also rage-quit after the industry was pretty much gift-wrapped and air delivered to Sony. What is there really to "war" about? Not owning a PS4 is pretty much like dipping your balls in sugar water and sitting in a fire-ant hill.

#20 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9526 posts) -

Pretty much what Maddie_Larkin said. This forum's been on a downward spiral the past few years. The redesign was the worst. This place is a shell of what it used to be.

One other thing that I believe has encourage people to leave is GameSpot's click-bait articles/reviews and the way they try to troll users. Feedbackula was the worst about it. GameSpot likes to talk down to its users, so that didn't help people stay after the redesign either.

#21 Posted by Gamerno6666 (563 posts) -
#22 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16895 posts) -

redesign pretty much ended whatever gamespot had left

#23 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin said:

This, absolutely this. Back in the day most of these threads would have been locked, so most of the threads left were decent. Put it this way, now we get about 10 decent threads in a good week, we used to get that in a day or two.

The silver lining is that there's nothing to get addicted to anymore. I used to waste far too much time here before.

#24 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -
@Zaibach said:

Perfectly put lol.

-

Look at the egos of some of the Playstation fans now 'yeah it's cos we won' lol.

#25 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -
#26 Posted by freedomfreak (39235 posts) -
@_Matt_ said:

Dat owl *dies of adorable overload*

They're the best :3

#27 Posted by PlayStationWins (10 posts) -

SONY was kicking MS's ass from the start of this generation. This made a lot of lemmings asshurt.

While the lems are ragetyping and crying, everyone else is laughing at their expense.

#28 Edited by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Zaibach said:

Perfectly put lol.

-

Look at the egos of some of the Playstation fans now 'yeah it's cos we won' lol.

Oh please, as if your crying about it is any fucking better. I've yet to decide which is worse. The cow stampede or the utter butthurt ego crush of the Lems.

You lost a console war before it even begun and all you guys can do is mope around and blame ebola, jock itch, Iraqi genocide and System Wars "downfall" on the cows. Give it a rest.

#29 Posted by thehig1 (1418 posts) -

I have only been here since March so I have never seen what here was like before the redesign and when there was more users. I like it here as it though its entertaining enough to visit daily.

#30 Edited by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

I don't come here that often anymore ever since the design change. Even for news, the clip baiting got too heavy and the main page got spammed with Eddie's copy paste articles.

#31 Posted by Gamerno6666 (563 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: Hey man look at this topic. You might get your answer. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/how-gamespot-degenerated-over-the-years-31480981/?page=2

#32 Posted by Telekill (4406 posts) -

@Shewgenja: That actually made me chuckle quite a bit. lol

#33 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Once ISpeakFact was gone, this place went to shit.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29578 posts) -

Good riddance.

xboxdone74 as well

Oh wait,you're still here

#35 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

SONY was kicking MS's ass from the start of this generation. This made a lot of lemmings asshurt.

While the lems are ragetyping and crying, everyone else is laughing at their expense.

A new cow recruit! Welcome to the herd my friend.

#36 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2580 posts) -

it used to have alot of users

but now i noticed that there is pretty much only few good posters here and the rest are trolls and even those trolls are few as well

is this because the new look for Gamespot that made most people leave here?

yes . Even news articles barely reach 500 or in rare cases 1000 comments . Back then any controversial article used to hit 20,000-30,000 comments without breaking a sweat .

#37 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Dat owl *dies of adorable overload*

They're the best :3

Please stop murdering me Freedom.

Anyone ever told you it's wrong?! D:

#38 Posted by parkurtommo (26534 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Good riddance.

xboxdone74 as well

Oh wait,you're still here

LoosingEnds.

hnnggg

#39 Posted by dommeus (9237 posts) -

@Shewgenja:

This cow mentality of 'if you ain't a cow, you a lem' is equally as stupid as the plethora of copy pasted pro-playstation topics that have been so prevalent the past few years.

Arguably most of the people who roll their eyes at the stampede are not lems. they are just bored users who can see how negatively the new TOU has affected the board.

At least news articles are still posted here.

#40 Edited by IgGy621985 (4632 posts) -

When Davekeeh left, this place fell apart.

#41 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10324 posts) -

Don't forget all the Spambots !

#42 Posted by B4X (3646 posts) -

FUD/ Hyperbole/ site debilitating bugs / entire threads dedicated to butt-hurt, jelly, meltdown/ integrity of the content on the site/ cows out of the pasture/ shilling and name calling/ ps4 photo mode/ X1 Kinect/ stupid.

#43 Edited by tonitorsi (8303 posts) -

It wasn't only the re-design part, but GS pretty much canceled out all the user-created content it used to have. Unions being the most absurd one.

Many (amazing) Gamenights were structured together because>unions and generally was one of the chunkiest sections that boosted and consistently maintained legitimate site traffic.

Union wars (a nonetheless contributing factor) was also pretty damn funny back in its golden days.

Take out one of the highlights that made people come to this site and you have a great number of members becoming either full time lurkers or permanently bolting to Gaf as a result.

Gamespot will forever remain in the shadow of Gaf. They practically handed out its members in a silver plate to Gaf the moment everything went nuts.

Lack of direction and site mis-management elicits just that.

Unrecoverable fuck ups to be honest.

#44 Edited by BldgIrsh (1657 posts) -

I question your views on a "good" user.

-Damien- isn't a "good" user.

#45 Posted by intotheminx (597 posts) -

I haven't been posting here long, but one problem I can clearly see is the users. No offense, but a lot of them are lazy and refuse to have a rational discussion. It's like some of you are incapable of delivering a argument with supporting details. It's always the same argument against certain platforms, which usually consists of one sentence or even one word at times(I'm looking at you lostrib)like they are just trying to bump their post count. Also, the same topics are being rehashed every other day. It grows tiresome and the users here aren't new user friendly. It's a turn off. I believe if the mods were more strict it could help in the long run.

#46 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -
#47 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4047 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Zaibach said:

Perfectly put lol.

-

Oh please, as if your crying about it is any fucking better. I've yet to decide which is worse. The cow stampede or the utter butthurt ego crush of the Lems.

You lost a console war before it even begun and all you guys can do is mope around and blame ebola, jock itch, Iraqi genocide and System Wars "downfall" on the cows. Give it a rest.

I'm not a lem. I've been as critical of MS lately if not more so. And all I'm doing is stating facts.

Again with the ego, who blamed the cows? Your lot aren't the centre of anything, just what's left over. How can your theory even be close to correct considering the downfall of SWs began much before this gen started or had even officially been announced?

So where have all the herms gone? The Sheep? The herms used to be pretty dominent here, now they just don't really care. Not everything is about cows and lems and this isn't console wars it's system wars.

Also, what you call a Playstation 4 victory is barely a mark on video gaming history at this point, yet while the Playstation One and Two were dominating like fuck, SWs was still decent, explain?

Shit those console owned the industry, with like 75% exclusives and an obscene amount of games unlike the competition, something that absolutely will not happen now, in contrast most games now are multiplats, exactly what is so exciting about the PS4 that I'm supposed to care about? Sales... lol.

PS4 is looking pretty vanilla in Playstation's history right now.

#48 Edited by tonitorsi (8303 posts) -
#49 Posted by mikhail (1141 posts) -
#50 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

I miss the old days sometimes!! Greta discussions and if anyone remembers the SW Newsletter with fantastic art and quotes and news created by site members, it was glorious, it has changed quite a lot.