What happened to the steam machines hype?

#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16387 posts) -

Haven't heard about those things in a while. Are people still interested? Will the success of the PS4 hamper Valve's aspirations? I ask you SW, since you know everything. Me - I'm not really interested. I have a PS4 and if I want superior graphics/performance I would rather just build my own.

#2 Posted by nini200 (9452 posts) -

Those hype trains ran out of Steam.

#3 Edited by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

I'm probably going to be picking one up.

#4 Edited by edwardecl (1950 posts) -

I'm still interesting in the Linux gaming side of it, not so much the steam machines themselves.

#5 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16387 posts) -

@nini200 said:

I like it!

#6 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4039 posts) -

they're not really a 'hot product' to market, more of an option.

yes - i too would just build my own steam machine.

#8 Posted by Telekill (4305 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it was the $500-$5,000 price tags.

#9 Edited by SuddenlyTragic (734 posts) -

I pretty much already have one. I have an Alienware X51 which is roughly the size of the original PS3, which I have hooked up to my TV next to my PS4 and play with a 360 controller. The only difference is I'm not forced to use the Steam OS and my Alienware is upgradeable unlike the Alienware Steam Machine (terrible idea on their part by the way).

So no, I'm not interested in buying one. I'm interested to see how they do and how they affect the market but I won't be getting one. I'll probably get a new X51 when the new line of graphics cards comes out honestly. I love that thing, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

#10 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16387 posts) -

I pretty much already have one. I have an Alienware X51 which is roughly the size of the original PS3, which I have hooked up to my TV next to my PS4 and play with a 360 controller. The only difference is I'm not forced to use the Steam OS and my Alienware is upgradeable unlike the Alienware Steam Machine (terrible idea on their part by the way).

So no, I'm not interested in buying one. I'm interested to see how they do and how they affect the market but I won't be getting one. I'll probably get a new X51 when the new line of graphics cards comes out honestly. I love that thing, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Nice, I came close to getting a X51 this year, but I want to wait a little more.

#11 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Probably pick up once they get an announcement of release

#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6532 posts) -

@nini200 said:

I'm really steamed over your post.

#13 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4039 posts) -

you guys probably already knew this, but, you do know that a steam machine is just a PC with a Linux OS installed by default?

you can choose to install windows on a steam machine (which basically just turns it into a windows gaming pc at the cost of a windows licence)

#14 Edited by slimdogmilionar (424 posts) -

Truth be told I think everyone's happy with PS4 and XB1.

#16 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

you guys probably already knew this, but, you do know that a steam machine is just a PC with a Linux OS installed by default?

you can choose to install windows on a steam machine (which basically just turns it into a windows gaming pc at the cost of a windows licence)

No, Valve hates Windows and they've said that per person that installs Windows on their steam machines, they'll delay Half Life 3 by one year.

#17 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4039 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

No, Valve hates Windows and they've said that per person that installs Windows on their steam machines, they'll delay Half Life 3 by one year.

#18 Posted by sabaecc (7 posts) -
#19 Edited by SuddenlyTragic (734 posts) -

@SuddenlyTragic said:

Nice, I came close to getting a X51 this year, but I want to wait a little more.

I would highly recommend getting one when the time is right. I got mine about two years ago when they were first released. It came with a stock Geforce GT 545 but I swapped that out for a 660 Ti and it screams. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I absolutely love the size, and it can handle pretty much every game I throw at it maxed out (I have to turn a few settings down in Crysis 3, BF4, and a few others but that's just if I want 60fps). My one complaint is that it can't handle the top of the line cards. I would love to throw a 780 in there but the cards are too big for the case and require too much power. But other than that it's been the best PC I've ever owned hands down.

#20 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23410 posts) -

everyone realized you can go to a hundred pc sites and buy the same shit.

#21 Posted by melonfarmerz (1072 posts) -

Probably because we haven't had any news at all about them since last year.

#22 Posted by NFJSupreme (5111 posts) -

Valve hasn't shown their hand yet. No one cares what ibuypower's going to do.

#23 Edited by Kinthalis (5270 posts) -

There's barely any info on them yet, and the patina on these new consoles is still shining, kind of. As mroe and mroe games are 900p, 30 FPS and PC keeps on trucking ever forward, an ACTUAL announcement of actual hardware will probably get the hype going again.

#24 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

I'm more interested in seeing where steamOS takes pc gaming. I'd rather build my own pc but the OS stands to change the way we play pc games if valve plays their cards right and does a good job with this. It's going to take a lot of change but I'm excited to see how it all goes down.

#25 Posted by MBirdy88 (7360 posts) -

The whole idea is a half baked attempt for Valve to force Steam down more gamers throats.

I like and use steam.... but to me its no different to a damn console when its this forced in my face.... so much for the openess of PC gaming....

#26 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

@MBirdy88: If anything it offers more choice and openness. How offering another OS to play games on besides the almost monopolistic windows platform is forcing steam down peoples throats is just ridiculous.

#27 Edited by STEAMSBL0WSSAX (80 posts) -

it's not untill 2015 more are gonna be announced,steam licks balls tho.

#28 Edited by CroidX (953 posts) -

Valve have yet to release more information on their steambox. It will probably pick up when its closer to launch date when they unveil prices and etc.

#29 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

Steam machines aren't going to take off. They're going to be niche products that allow developers to set "standards" for PC gaming.

#30 Posted by MBirdy88 (7360 posts) -

@MBirdy88: If anything it offers more choice and openness. How offering another OS to play games on besides the almost monopolistic windows platform is forcing steam down peoples throats is just ridiculous.

... no... thats just your inner linux talking nonsense.

You fail to see what I am talking about, more and more games are becoming "Steam only" or "Origin Only" .... Steam prices are not even that good on new games and are often overpriced.... but people look past that because they buy friggin 10x ancient games for pennies...

Bottom line is, you need steam for alot of games on PC now, and that list is growing.

Those support STEAM OS are already supporting linux for the most part.

and once again, what linux fanboys want just because its "free" is not whats best for consumors... a payed for OS that actually has set standards is the norm. and that reflects in that so called "monopoly" of windows... really? are we really saying Windows has a monopoly on CONSUMOR computers now? no... just business.

#31 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

@MBirdy88: The Steam only games are generally the decision of a given publisher or developer not valve themselves. It's not steams fault these companies don't explore separate avenues of revenue or that companies that house their own sales services wish to keep games they develop and pay for on their service rather then the competitors. SteamOS does nothing more then offer another platform outside of Apple and Microsoft. Hell if you had read a little up on the subject your talking about, valve has even stated it doesn't wish to close the platform off and is open to competition selling games on SteamOS.

And as a person who buys games on a PC platform you can use any of those services or OS's on a single machine at any time thre is zero forcing going on here. It's not like using Steam will stop you from using origin. Or that using Windows can stop you from using steamOS. It's called competition and different stores/platforms are going to offer different incentives and products to get your sale. That is true choice and how the market should be run. You can use all of them no one or anything is stopping you or forcing you it's your choice.

Also if you didn't understand what I meant by "almost monopolistic windows platform" you could have asked rather then start off on a rant going no where. They essentially have a monopoly on gaming on pc as it contains the majority of tittles and games. Both linux and mac have a tiny fraction of that market, hence why I said "almost"

#32 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4039 posts) -

@ribstaylor1: if EA put Origin on SteamOS (Ubuntu, whatever) that would be great.

and yes really there is no negative to steam os at all. it's free, and the hardware on which it's installed will take windows - and windows has always cost money anyway.

#33 Posted by wis3boi (31004 posts) -

everyone I know who wanted one already has one by making their own

#34 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

The PS4 happened.

#35 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2194 posts) -

Steam Machines are part of long term goal . It is not something like PS4 or Xbox One that will will be released and everyone will be buying them day one . Just like Steam , it'll take years until we start to see results .
Main goal of Steam Machines was not to steal console customers but to stop closed platforms like tablets , to take over living rooms . That's something that Sony and M$ should've done .

#36 Posted by lamprey263 (22629 posts) -

they ended up costing like 2-3 times the amount of a desktop gaming PC