What happened to Tactical Shooters??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Will they ever come back?? what do you think??

it is a long time since a good tactical shooter release. last true tactical shooter was GRAW PC (not gears of recon console). yes its niche genre and there were not enough tactical shooters. but atleast there were plenty of good tactical shooters back.

and Games Like Rainbow six and Ghost Recon which represent tactical shooters are now cinematic Arcade Shooters. and look at new Ghost recon. how much arcade game it is yet market as tactical shooter where u cant even commads your teammates. will we see glorious  tactial shooters again??

Disciss

#2 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
PC gamers were too casual for them.
#3 Posted by freedomfreak (39059 posts) -
Another one of these. Always the same stuff. uninspiredcup is a much better hermit than you are. I'm definitely voting for him as hermit king.
#4 Posted by muffin200 (733 posts) -

Crap like Metro and stalker just melted down the PC shooter market until it colapsed in on itself. 

#5 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

You should try Valkyria Chronicles, Sniper-kun.

It's amazing.

Valkyria.Chronicles.full.1078987.jpg

#6 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

It's amazing.

Sagem28
Too hardcore for sniper
#7 Posted by Consternated (489 posts) -
Same thing that happened to arena shooters. Too inaccessible for yer average gaming chap nowadays...
#8 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

It's amazing.

rjdofu
Too hardcore for sniper

its animu game. so its piece of cake and not tactical hardcore game.
#9 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

It's amazing.

SNIPER4321

Too hardcore for sniper

its animu game. so its piece of cake and not tactical hardcore game.

I'll bet that game kicks your butt.

Way more difficult than your kiddie FPS games.

#10 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1605 posts) -
They stopped making them.
#11 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2106 posts) -

it is a long time since a good tactical shooter release. last true tactical shooter was GRAW PC (not gears of recon console). yes its niche genre and there were not enough tactical shooters. but atleast there were plenty of good tactical shooters back.

and Games Like Rainbow six and Ghost Recon which represent tactical shooters are now cinematic Arcade Shooters. and look at new Ghost recon. how much arcade game it is yet market as tactical shooter where u cant even commads your teammates. will we see glorious  tactial shooters again??

Disciss

SNIPER4321

They stopped making it becuase those games flop

#12 Posted by nutcrackr (12457 posts) -
No market. Even swat 4, which was a well made tactical experience, sold paltry amounts. Takedown: Red Sabre barely got enough funding to create a buggy, under-featured demo
#13 Posted by MonsieurX (29466 posts) -
Not relevant anymore,JRPG took the crown
#14 Posted by AdrianWerner (27982 posts) -

They never were all that popular to begin with. The biggest maker of them (Ubisoft) turned into arcade FPS. Thanksfully we have Arma, Red Orchestra  and mods. Plus Ground Branch, Insurgency 2 and Project Reality 2, are coming. Shame about Takedown though.

#15 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Call of Duty happened.
#16 Posted by T_0_D (1123 posts) -

The bottom line: more money in run and gun arcade shooters. You can still play tactically in Gears, COD, BF but you have to play with friends and work together. If you do, you will have a ton of rage quits rolling in and out of your room.

#17 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
#18 Posted by lockjaw333 (1741 posts) -

Call of Duty happened.OreoMilkshake

I do miss planning a mission and failing horribly in the original Rainbow Six on PC.

Honestly nowadays with a job, wife, house and young son I wouldn't have the time to get into games like the original R6 or Ghost Recon. Something like Battlefield has just the right amount of tactical play for me these days. I can still think and set up traps and play tactical if I want.

But to answer your question, I think maybe because tactical shooters just weren't that fun.

#19 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
You made this same exact topic a few months ago. Nothing's changed.
#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6883 posts) -

Wow. Such an original and creative thread. Have a cookie SNIPER.

#21 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

You get points for originality.

#22 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1986 posts) -
I would kill for a new Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon on the next gen consoles. I miss the days of sneaking around maps and peaking around corners on multiplayer maps.
#23 Posted by MicrosoftPR_Ray (0 posts) -

Disciss

SNIPER4321
There was 3 released this month. Just because you don't look does not mean they are not there
#24 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1584 posts) -
Call of Duty happened.OreoMilkshake
#25 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9485 posts) -
Im hoping that there will be a MAG2 on PS4.
#26 Posted by glez13 (8663 posts) -

Rainbow Six 3 and SWAT 4 were boss. Well the last tactical shooter on PC I can remember is GRAW and it was hardly good.  The problem is this type of games are really hard and it takes time to be good at them. They also soon fall victim of their own AI and any sort of related glitches your companions may have.

I played The Bureau: XCOM Declassified the other day and almost the same weird AI glitches than GRAW everywhere. Takedown: Team Sabre a complete unfinished mess. Tactical Shooter will continue dead for a while.

#27 Posted by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

I would like to see more tactical shooters myself.

But the market is dominated by casuals. I know it hurts.

#28 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

it is a long time since a good tactical shooter release. last true tactical shooter was GRAW PC

SNIPER4321

No, GRAW 2 on PC was also a tactical FPS.

#30 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

You get points for originality.

Michael0134567

And you get points for sarcasm :P

#31 Posted by NFJSupreme (5148 posts) -
tactical shooters are niche games and the big studios don't do niche games for the most part anymore. They leave that to the indies
#32 Posted by cainetao11 (16838 posts) -
Cracks me up how something had to ruin them. Maybe the just don't sell. This is,after all a business.
#33 Posted by The_Power_of_X (448 posts) -

Sony and its plethora of COD-mitation shooters(Resistance, MAG, Killzone, etc.) happened. 

#34 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

Console kids happened.