What happened to Shin Megami Tensei series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 malatato
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

The only thing I know is that persona 5 is in development and the only smt game this gen is 2 remakes (smt persona 2 innocent sin and smt persona 3) and a ds game. Is there going to be SMT game in console aside from persona?

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Nope. Atlus (the company that makes SMT) changed management (which streamlined their focus), and console development is just too expensive for niche Japanese companies.

That's why you see the SMT series flourishing on handhelds (PSP remakes, two DS SMT games, etc.), because it's just more cost-effective for the company.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

I don't think there are any plans for the consoles outside of Persona 5. However, Persona 5 is all I need.

Handhelds had a couple IIRC.

malatato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 malatato
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

Nope. Atlus (the company that makes SMT) changed management (which streamlined their focus), and console development is just too expensive for niche Japanese companies.

That's why you see the SMT series flourishing on handhelds (PSP remakes, two DS SMT games, etc.), because it's just more cost-effective for the company.

peterw007

that's too bad.. I was hoping to see lucifer in hd

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Really disappointed, The HD version of Digital Devil Saga 3 was one of my most anticipated titles coming into this gen. Atlus lied to me, big big let down.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

peterw007

Atlus is still publishing and developing on consoles but I do admit their attention has shifted a lot to handhelds. Catherine turned them profit and they're already developing a Persona fighting game for consoles as well. And we are expecting Persona 5 to be a future release on consoles.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I'll be getting whatever they release. I Love Persona and SMT and even if I don't own the console, I'm still gonna support the series. I am NEVER selling my Persona 1 and 2 PS1 Original copies. :D
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The only thing I know is that persona 5 is in development and the only smt game this gen is 2 remakes (smt persona 2 innocent sin and smt persona 3) and a ds game. Is there going to be SMT game in console aside from persona?

malatato

Moved to handhelds. Devil Survivor 2 is coming up, so anyone interested in it better get it fast before it goes out of print.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

ZIVX

Atlus is still publishing and developing on consoles but I do admit their attention has shifted a lot to handhelds. Catherine turned them profit and they're already developing a Persona fighting game for consoles as well. And we are expecting Persona 5 to be a future release on consoles.

I thought Arc System Works was developing the Persona fighting game?

And considering the Persona team only started really working on Persona 5 after Catherine was finished ~11 months ago, I would expect a 2013 release at the earliest.