What Gods should be in the next GoW?

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#1 Edited by misterpmedia (5914 posts) -

Pushing franchise fatigue & nonsensical immortal protagonist aside...

...if another God Of War game was coming out down the road, be it Kratos or new protag, which mythos would you love to see him bring down to our level and butcher? If you still think Greek, then what is there left for Kratos/newguy left to murder?

My vote...albeit..not very politically correct, goes to Hindu gods. I have nothing against the religion or anything like that I just think, personally, that the designs that have obviously been passed around from Hindu to Hindu(like most god depictions) through time are the most surrealist I've ever witnessed. That isn't meant as an insult in any way but more of a fascination. (Googles Hindu gods) Check these out, and think about them amped up to either Titan(GOW3) or God like scale(GOW1) and these would be some absolutely fantastic set pieces:

It's just the fact most seem to have more than 2 arms(at minimum) and several heads(or faces). There's also something so unnatural and unnerving about having blue or purple skin, that's just me though(creeps me out a little) Also getting weird Bayonetta vibes from most of them too.

I'm well aware that this game if made would be a global PR disaster but a guy can dream right? haha.

What other Gods take your fancy?

Avatar image for cainetao11
#2 Posted by cainetao11 (25900 posts) -

The GOP.

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#3 Edited by AdobeArtist (23539 posts) -

Thor!! I want to see a Kratos vs Thor battle :D

Avatar image for noodlevixen
#4 Posted by noodlevixen (480 posts) -

I seriously doubt they would use gods from a currently worshipped religion. Greek Gods are no longer worshipped therefore there's no controversy. They'd catch so much hell having boss battles with Jesus/Buddha/Muhammad.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#5 Posted by Boddicker (4214 posts) -

I think it's safe to say we'll see the Norse pantheon after all the "Vikings" show promos were attached to the GoW: Ascension demo.

The public is already atleast mildly acquainted with them thanks to the Thor movies and Vikings TV show (I've never watched it).

In all honesty I think as long as Hinduism is a thriving religion it won't be touched. A religion has to be for all intents and purposes DEAD, except for the few oddball worshippers. It would be interesting though. Isn't Kali destined to destroy the world so it can be remade? And the god Krishna's tale is eerily similar to Jesus' tale.

I would actually like to see the Egyptian Pantheon, but setting it in the bronze age could be a problem for the weapons and armor. Not to mention the tale of Horus which is very similar to Jesus lol.

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#6 Posted by misterpmedia (5914 posts) -

@noodlevixen said:

I seriously doubt they would use gods from a currently worshipped religion. Greek Gods are no longer worshipped therefore there's no controversy. They'd catch so much hell having boss battles with Jesus/Buddha/Muhammad.

haha, yeah agreed. Shame though. Leaping from arm to arm on one of those Hindu gods would have been insane. They're big enough to design a whole level around them.

@AdobeArtist said:

Thor!! I want to see a Kratos vs Thor battle :D

I see a lot of this. I think there's only so many giant nordic bearded men you could fight before it get's a lil samey though xD. Would be cool though.

Another favourite seems to be Egyptian too. I think the problem is trying to find a certain culture where the gods went down in history through art and recollection as being giant life forms towering over normal folk. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Ascension never really impressed, apart from the two fights between two giant bosses for the most part you were fighting 3 human sized Furies.

Avatar image for padaporra
#7 Edited by padaporra (3491 posts) -

They should pin Kratos against the romans... but that might be too much for him.

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#8 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

I'd like to see a new protagonist in the Egyptian mythology.

You guys actually want MORE Kratos? Why?

Avatar image for Boddicker
#9 Posted by Boddicker (4214 posts) -

@padaporra said:

They should pin Kratos against the romans... but that might be too much for him.

The Greek and Roman gods were basically the same. They just changed their names and modified their tales to fit into the Roman mindset.

Avatar image for padaporra
#10 Posted by padaporra (3491 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@padaporra said:

They should pin Kratos against the romans... but that might be too much for him.

The Greek and Roman gods were basically the same. They just changed their names and modified their tales to fit into the Roman mindset.

Not really, but I meant the romans, not the roman gods.

Avatar image for noodlevixen
#11 Posted by noodlevixen (480 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Another favourite seems to be Egyptian too. I think the problem is trying to find a certain culture where the gods went down in history through art and recollection as being giant life forms towering over normal folk. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Ascension never really impressed, apart from the two fights between two giant bosses for the most part you were fighting 3 human sized Furies.

I used to be a huge Egyptian culture sponge when I was younger. I do believe there were some gods who were giant, but also had animal characteristics. Most if not all Egyptian gods have animal characteristics. Also of note are Aztec, Mayan and Incan gods. Besides having names generally unpronounceable for the general population the also had some very grandiose, (and also viscious), gods. They're designs are also pretty interesting.

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#12 Edited by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

I would actually like to see the Egyptian Pantheon, but setting it in the bronze age could be a problem for the weapons and armor. Not to mention the tale of Horus which is very similar to Jesus lol.

What kinds of weapon/armor issues would there be?

Horus has been a villian in a game before, I don't think there was much of an issue then.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#13 Posted by Boddicker (4214 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

I'd like to see a new protagonist in the Egyptian mythology.

You guys actually want MORE Kratos? Why?

I don't want anymore Kratos. His story should have ended the trilogy, instead they milked 3 prequels out of us.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#14 Posted by Boddicker (4214 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@Boddicker said:

I would actually like to see the Egyptian Pantheon, but setting it in the bronze age could be a problem for the weapons and armor. Not to mention the tale of Horus which is very similar to Jesus lol.

What kinds of weapon/armor issues would there be?

Horus has been a villian in a game before, I don't think there was much of an issue then.

Shit would be made out of bronze lol. But then again MAGIC trumps everything so I take back that argument.

Avatar image for fend_oblivion
#15 Posted by fend_oblivion (6444 posts) -

Hindu deities have been used in the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Some of the gods have blue skin but it's for artistic purposes. Krishna is actually very dark, so artists paint Krishna blue instead.

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#16 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@Sword-Demon said:

@Boddicker said:

I would actually like to see the Egyptian Pantheon, but setting it in the bronze age could be a problem for the weapons and armor. Not to mention the tale of Horus which is very similar to Jesus lol.

What kinds of weapon/armor issues would there be?

Horus has been a villian in a game before, I don't think there was much of an issue then.

Shit would be made out of bronze lol. But then again MAGIC trumps everything so I take back that argument.

either way, it's a video game, and GOW at that. I don't think realism will a high priority.

Avatar image for kratosyoloswag
#17 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1823 posts) -

Egyptian gods would be cool. Maybe even gods and creatures from several religions and mythologies.

I'm excited to see how SSM is going to do the GoW reboot. I hope we get a new protagonist but Kratos remains in the game, and is still playable in some way.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#18 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9561 posts) -

I would say Egyptian or Norse mythology BUT I only want a new GOW if they fundamentally change it core gameplay. Ex. Make it open world, introduce a serious inventory system, an upgrade system etc.

Avatar image for Floppy_Jim
#19 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

SM should go after the HP Lovecraft gods. Kratos vs Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth.

Avatar image for zeeshanhaider
#20 Edited by zeeshanhaider (4358 posts) -

@noodlevixen said:

I seriously doubt they would use gods from a currently worshipped religion. Greek Gods are no longer worshipped therefore there's no controversy. They'd catch so much hell having boss battles with Jesus/Buddha/Muhammad.

Not mythological neither gods.

@AdobeArtist said:

Thor!! I want to see a Kratos vs Thor battle :D

Nah! I hate Norse mythology. Not cool at all. Very generic designs. I don't know but I heard that Persian mythology is very brutal and full of gore, so may be that. I was very active at Prince of Persia forums a few years back and heard that back there.

Avatar image for -God-
#21 Edited by -God- (3627 posts) -

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#22 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

@-God- said:

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

idk about Allah, but Jesus is depicted as being both non-violent and a part of an omnipotent being.

The Olympians weren't immortal or omnipotent, the christian god is, meaning that, if he wanted, he could unmake you with a thought.

also, the game just wouldn't sell well.

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#23 Edited by misterpmedia (5914 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

I'd like to see a new protagonist in the Egyptian mythology.

You guys actually want MORE Kratos? Why?

Personally I would want more Kratos in a number of ways, some not necessarily to be the main protagonist.

1: Playing him without any emotional investment makes for a better game because technically all you're doing it playing this badass c*nt of a person who's really good at killing things. Makes for a variety of '**** yeah' moments, for me anyway.
2: If he was protag again I would want at least a suitable nemesis. Something of an equal that can at least bring Kratos down to his knees to damn near failure. Rival duels or battles are the best thing usually in video games. You're on equal footing and there is a higher chance of you losing.
3: Kratos is the antagonist and the new game is that you play someone new who is finally going to put an end to his status. That ending boss battle fighting him would be insane. If Platinum was making this it would be like the Senator Armstrong hard.

@noodlevixen said:

@misterpmedia said:

Another favourite seems to be Egyptian too. I think the problem is trying to find a certain culture where the gods went down in history through art and recollection as being giant life forms towering over normal folk. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Ascension never really impressed, apart from the two fights between two giant bosses for the most part you were fighting 3 human sized Furies.

I used to be a huge Egyptian culture sponge when I was younger. I do believe there were some gods who were giant, but also had animal characteristics. Most if not all Egyptian gods have animal characteristics. Also of note are Aztec, Mayan and Incan gods. Besides having names generally unpronounceable for the general population the also had some very grandiose, (and also viscious), gods. They're designs are also pretty interesting.

never thought about those. Good catch. googled a few and they look just as absurd. Crazy stuff.

@fend_oblivion said:

Hindu deities have been used in the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Some of the gods have blue skin but it's for artistic purposes. Krishna is actually very dark, so artists paint Krishna blue instead.

Ah the more you know I guess. I don't know why it creeps me out lol. I guess it just seems so unnatural, which would be fitting for a godlike being that may or may not have existed.

@kratosyoloswag said:

Egyptian gods would be cool. Maybe even gods and creatures from several religions and mythologies.

I'm excited to see how SSM is going to do the GoW reboot. I hope we get a new protagonist but Kratos remains in the game, and is still playable in some way.

Lots of love for the egyptian ones. although looking at their designs there's not much going for them because all that's varied is the changing of the heads. Would be quite daunting though. Think the Eygptian gods are meant to be pretty unforgiving too.

@Floppy_Jim said:

SM should go after the HP Lovecraft gods. Kratos vs Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth.

Ha, another good shout. Kratos bringing down demons....that's almost going into Dante's Inferno territory :P

Avatar image for stationplay_4
#24 Edited by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

i'm pretty sure god of war is getting replaced with shadow of the beast. but if i have to chose he should fight the sumerian gods and then have them actually be ancient aliens. lololol

Avatar image for charizard1605
#25 Posted by charizard1605 (74242 posts) -

Yeah, let's piss off a billion Hindus worldwide, that sounds like a great idea!

Hell, why not do Christian or Muslim mythology, while you're at it?

They're not going to touch living religions- the Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian pantheons are all parts of dead religions, they can do those just fine without much controversy (although even there, they did piss off a portion of the middle east). Using a religion that's still alive and well, hell, is one of the largest religions of the world? Jesus Christ you are asking for trouble.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#26 Posted by lamprey263 (31311 posts) -

well, if we're gonna switch to Hindu gods we're gonna need a new hero

Avatar image for Couth_
#27 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

Jesus Christo and Moses

Avatar image for nervmeister
#28 Posted by nervmeister (15369 posts) -

Aztec/Mayan mythology. Plenty of gore and sacrifice associated with that mythos, so it would feel right at home in a God of War game.

Avatar image for Basinboy
#29 Posted by Basinboy (12155 posts) -

Egypt always sounded good for GoW

I'd rather Santa Monica move on, honestly. GoW is worn out - they're better off spending their efforts on other pursuits.

Avatar image for StrifeDelivery
#30 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1896 posts) -

I'm not certain why people are worried about Hinduism making a scene. Asura's Wrath for instance combined elements from Buddhism and Hinduism to make a decently fun game.

Edit: And even with Christianity, we look at Dante's Inferno. Sure, we don't have to face Jesus or God, but facing off against Satan's hordes? Not seeing a problem with that either.

Avatar image for not_wanted
#31 Posted by not_wanted (1990 posts) -

The Gods of the Arena obviously. :D

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
#32 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6936 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

Thor!! I want to see a Kratos vs Thor battle :D

Would be extremely one-sided battle for Kratos. Would love to see him tear down all the Norse gods.

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
#33 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6936 posts) -

@padaporra said:

@Boddicker said:

@padaporra said:

They should pin Kratos against the romans... but that might be too much for him.

The Greek and Roman gods were basically the same. They just changed their names and modified their tales to fit into the Roman mindset.

Not really, but I meant the romans, not the roman gods.

You mean human, MORTAL Roman soldiers? They wouldn't even make canon fodder. the 13th legion would make an easy job for 10,000 hit combo and raking up them orbs :P

Avatar image for cainetao11
#34 Edited by cainetao11 (25900 posts) -

Norse mythology is the logical choice. Or never extending the story from the end of GoW3, just keep telling tales from kratos' life. I'd rather see a human kratos from his time as a spartan general. Before the ashes turned him white and before he made the oath to Ares

Avatar image for Pikminmaniac
#35 Edited by Pikminmaniac (10651 posts) -

Kratos should definitely deal with an alien invasion. We need the scale to exceed the earth at this point.

Avatar image for Spartan070
#36 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

Thor!! I want to see a Kratos vs Thor battle :D

Reinventing the series based off Norse mythology would be epic, it would also help to replace my memories of Too Human

.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (94494 posts) -

The gods of clinical depression and alcoholism.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#38 Posted by jg4xchamp (57078 posts) -

None of them.

Put that boring ass series out of its misery already. Let that studio do something new, and not boring. Emphasis on new and not boring.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#39 Posted by foxhound_fox (94494 posts) -

And for those interested in Hinduism in video games need to check out SMT: Digital Devil Saga.

Avatar image for fend_oblivion
#40 Posted by fend_oblivion (6444 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, let's piss off a billion Hindus worldwide, that sounds like a great idea!

Hell, why not do Christian or Muslim mythology, while you're at it?

They're not going to touch living religions- the Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian pantheons are all parts of dead religions, they can do those just fine without much controversy (although even there, they did piss off a portion of the middle east). Using a religion that's still alive and well, hell, is one of the largest religions of the world? Jesus Christ you are asking for trouble.

Like I've said earlier, the Shin Megami Tensei games uses Hindu gods as designs for demons. Shiva, Vishnu, Parvathi, Hanuman, Yaksini etc. Atlus uses a wide variety of characters that are based on real religions too. Archangels Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer/Satan and they even used Jehovah as the last boss in SMT II :\

Atlus has avoided negative press so far. But I recall reading negative press about Fallout 3 because it had mutated cows called Brahmin (not a good idea, because the Brahmin are the upper-most class in the Hindu religion). Fallout 3 is not banned here in India though.

In the Middle East, God of War was banned because you kill "gods". This is an example of a game that uses a dead religion but still ended up getting banned. Heck, even Dubai banned God of War. And Dubai is pretty much the least restrictive Arab state out there :\

Avatar image for Gue1
#41 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

there is no way to introduce new gods into this world. Kratos killed everyone and basically destroyed the world. This series should stay dead forever but it seems that Santa Monica are a one trick pony. I hope they come up with a new IP and not a freaking GOW reboot or something. =/

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#42 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

there is no way to introduce new gods into this world. Kratos killed everyone and basically destroyed the world. This series should stay dead forever but it seems that Santa Monica are a one trick pony. I hope they come up with a new IP and not a freaking GOW reboot or something. =/

they were working on a new IP............. but they Todd Pappi left and a few months later everyone got fired and the IP got canned. They're in limbo right now.

Avatar image for SolidTy
#43 Posted by SolidTy (49392 posts) -

Naughty Gods.

The characters created will be the sons and daughters, and then the actual creators, breaking the 4th wall, will be the final bosses in at least a six part epic series.

Avatar image for -God-
#44 Posted by -God- (3627 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@-God- said:

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

The Olympians weren't immortal or omnipotent, the christian god is, meaning that, if he wanted, he could unmake you with a thought.

But he's fictional and was written to cause floods which killed millions, they can add that evil shit if they want.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#45 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9561 posts) -
@Nengo_Flow said:

@Gue1 said:

there is no way to introduce new gods into this world. Kratos killed everyone and basically destroyed the world. This series should stay dead forever but it seems that Santa Monica are a one trick pony. I hope they come up with a new IP and not a freaking GOW reboot or something. =/

they were working on a new IP............. but they Todd Pappi left and a few months later everyone got fired and the IP got canned. They're in limbo right now.

The entire studio isn't in limbo. Their still working on at least two projects. The Order 1886 and Cory Barlog's new project, which may or may not be a new GOW game. Stig's team may have lost their new IP but the majority of that team is still at SSM working on other projects.

Avatar image for Spartan070
#46 Edited by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@-God- said:

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

Mainly because those religions don't feature a plethora of Gods to add story and drama to the game, not to mention multiple godlike foes. The other religions being mentioned have dozens.

What, kill 10,000 humans on your way to one final battle with a God?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#47 Posted by StrongBlackVine (12563 posts) -

Kratos vs. Islam

Avatar image for -God-
#48 Posted by -God- (3627 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@-God- said:

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

Mainly because those religions don't feature a plethora of Gods to add story and drama to the game, not to mention multiple godlike foes. The other religions being mentioned have dozens.

What, kill 10,000 humans on your way to one final battle with a God?

You can kill angels and demigods. Before you fight god you can kill Jesus that can shoot nails at you, Noah who can shoot at you 2 of each species or whatever, Moses who can throw tablets at you, Different Popes who are dead and now Angels each with their own power, Kings like King James or other religious figures, etc.

Avatar image for Spartan070
#49 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@-God- said:

@Spartan070 said:

@-God- said:

How about the devs (and fans) stop being PC hypocrites pansies and put in Allah or Jesus?

Mainly because those religions don't feature a plethora of Gods to add story and drama to the game, not to mention multiple godlike foes. The other religions being mentioned have dozens.

What, kill 10,000 humans on your way to one final battle with a God?

You can kill angels and demigods. Before you fight god you can kill Jesus that can shoot nails at you, Noah who can shoot at you 2 of each species or whatever, Moses who can throw tablets at you, Different Popes who are dead and now Angels each with their own power, Kings like King James or other religious figures, etc.

...and this is why that game will never exist haha.

Avatar image for Coolyfett
#50 Edited by Coolyfett (5294 posts) -

@misterpmedia: Norse is the myth to go with. New protag, but let tc Carson do the voice again.