What game genre Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 is severely lacking?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

You can name only 1 genre of each platform.

You can see all video game genre here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres

I played with Wii U, it has all adventure games(third person) or 2D but platform self lack of FPS games. Yes. FPS. Wii U only has ZombiU but it´s more like horror game. Console has no FPS games at all. Where is Red Steel? Goldeneye?

Playstation 4 is lacking of racing games. How come that biggest install base platform has no racing games? Driveclub is not even good racing game. Wii U had Mario Kart, Xbox One has already 2 high rated Forza but PS4 has none. PS4 has playstation plus, everyone has online but we don´t have any racing games. I wanna play open world racing games or just some awesome racing games against other people. Where is Modnation? Where the hell is MotorStorm?? Gran Turismo comes out like year 2020.

Xbox One has great racing games, so many good shooter, most online games, adventure games but lack of Platformer games. I really hope to see more those games.

In short:

Wii U - lack of violent and shooter games

PS4 - lack of racing games

Xbox One - lack of platformer games

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Wii U: Er, FPSs and RPGs, I guess
PS4: Fighting games and RPGs?
Xbox One: Platformers and RPGs

There is a distinct lack of RPGs on these consoles. FIX THAT, GUYS.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Wii U has FPS. They got BO2 and Ghosts, Zombi U and Deus Ex.

What they are missing is some RPG love. And they're missing it bad.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

RPGs...but every generation the quality ones seem to take awhile as they litter the last gen consoles with supreme titles like Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Persona, Xenoblade, etc.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

PS4: Fighting games

Huh? PC is the one missingsome fighting games. Consoles, specially the Playstation ones get almost all of them. System Arc games, MK, Tekken, SoulCalibur, Street Fighter, Naruto, DBZ, etc.

On topic, strategy games for all of them. Seriously.

The Wii U, due to lack fo 3rd party support, is missing alot of FPS, TPS, open world games, RPGs, etc.

The ps4 and xb1 vary. I guess mainly JRPGs, because they they float around between PS3, PS4, PSVITA, 3DS, etc. The xb1 is even worse for that genre

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Strategy games. All of them. Last gen 360 had a lot of quality ones whereas PS3 almost had none but this gen so far no one has any major ones apart from Zoo tycoon on xbone.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Call of Duty games does not have any DLC support and online is dead. Deus is also on PS3. So far Wii U only has 1 fps and its Zombi U what is really not FPS but first person horror. Well all RPG games are on PC. Each week they release some RPG game on steam or PC just.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Huh? PC is the one missingsome fighting games. Consoles, specially the Playstation ones get almost all of them. System Arc games, MK, Tekken, SoulCalibur, Street Fighter, Naruto, DBZ, etc.

The Wii U, due to lack fo 3rd party support, is missing alot of FPS, TPS, open world games, RPGs, etc.

The ps4 and xb1 vary. I guess mainly JRPGs, because they they float around between PS3, PS4, PSVITA, 3DS, etc. The xb1 is even worse for that genre

Well, right now, the Xbox One has Killer Instinct, the Wii U has Tekken and Injustice (and gets Smash Bros. next month), but to my knowledge, the PS4 has nothing in the genre.

Of course, this assessment stands true only as of now, and like you yourself noted, the PS4 will doubtless have an impressive lineup of fighting games soon enough.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Well, right now, the Xbox One has Killer Instinct, the Wii U has Tekken and Injustice (and gets Smash Bros. next month), but to my knowledge, the PS4 has nothing in the genre.

Of course, this assessment stands true only as of now, and like you yourself noted, the PS4 will doubtless have an impressive lineup of fighting games soon enough.

Injustice is on the PS4. And are you talking about Tekken TT2? Because that was on the playsation 3 when it release. A late prot doesn't change much.

Killer Instinct and SSB are exclusives. However, GG Xrd is exclusive to the PS3 and PS4. For now atleast. Seriously, P4 Arena is the 360, but GG isn't. WTF ASW?

The point is, fighting are not lacking on the PS4. Almost every single one of them will end up on the console has the geenration goes on.

And why is TC saying racing games on the PS4? So NFS Rivals, PCars, The Crew, and exclusives from Evolution and Polyphony doesn't count?

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

The PC has lots of fighters I own most all of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Injustice is on the PS4. And are you talking about Tekken TT2? Because that was on the playsation 3 when it release. A late prot doesn't change much.

Killer Instinct and SSB are exclusives. However, GG Xrd is exclusive to the PS3 and PS4. For now atleast. Seriously, P4 Arena is the 360, but GG isn't. WTF ASW?

The point is, fighting are not lacking on the PS4. Almost every single one of them will end up on the console has the geenration goes on.

And why is TC saying racing games on the PS4? So NFS Rivals, PCars, The Crew, and exclusives from Evolution and Polyphony doesn't count?

Oh right, I'd forgotten about the next gen port of Injustice.

Still, though, that does give the PS4 only one game to go against the two on Xbox One and WIi U respectively (and soon to be three for Wii U). When does Guilty Gear launch, though?

And yeah, I didn't get the racing games lacking on PS4 thing either.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Call of Duty games does not have any DLC support and online is dead. Deus is also on PS3. So far Wii U only has 1 fps and its Zombi U what is really not FPS but first person horror. Well all RPG games are on PC. Each week they release some RPG game on steam or PC just.

but they still exist. What doesn't exist is a Tales game, or any XSEED games, or Atlus RPG love. Hell I would be tickled pink for some last gen ports like the Symphonia collection.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

X1 and PS4 lol, where to begin.

The Wii U will always be missing genres, because there are many things that only the 3rd parties will bring. For example off the top of my head Fifa or Pro Evo.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEadliNE-Zero0

@charizard1605 said:

Oh right, I'd forgotten about the next gen port of Injustice.

Still, though, that does give the PS4 only one game to go against the two on Xbox One and WIi U respectively (and soon to be three for Wii U). When does Guilty Gear launch, though?

And yeah, I didn't get the racing games lacking on PS4 thing either.

GG Xrd is lauching this year. I believe in the west aswell.

Anyway, KI and SSB doesn't define the entire genre for a console. While Sony isn't investing in a first party fighting games, all other 3rd party ones will come to their consoles.

I just hope PC gets more fighting love, now that MK, DBZ, Naruto are on it. Hopefully Tekken 7 gets confirmed. (No, Kdramastars isn't a proper source).

But like i said, strategy games are the ones missing on consoles for obvious reasons.

m64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 m64
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

Wii U : sport games

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I find it funny someone made an excuse for wiius shooters a shooter is a shooter regardless of whether its on other platforms or not ....and wiiu has quite a few actually. Mass effect 3 007 legends dues ex the walking dead zombie u resident evil splinter cell

one genre I'd say ps4 and wiiu lack like most consoles last Gen this early on is the racing genre ps4 has two wiiu has 3 games in the genre not. Sure if hot wheels count and fast and furious is mission based driving

but the two games they have are wiiu

nfs most wanted mariokart8 and sonic all star racing transformed

ps4

nfs rivals

drive club

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

PS4\X1 the worthwile genre

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

PS4/XB1 are both missing Fighting, JRPG & RTS games. I'm hoping we here more about Fallout 4, Mass Effect, Dragon Dogma 2 and FF XV next year.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

RPG's

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Wii U is definitely lacking RPG at least until next year. I also agree that it lacks strategy games, other than Pikmin 3 I'm not sure it has any others (not including Virtual Console or indies). I think the Gamepad is actually perfect for strategy games, but oh well.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Following genres are missing or not big enough on each console :

Wii U : RTS , MMOs , Third Person Shooters , Modern Military Shooters , Survival Horror , RPGs , Action RPGs , Point and Click Adventure , 4x Strategy , War Simulators , Racing Sims , Online Shooters

Xbox One : RTS , MMOs , old school FPS , Survival Horror , RPGs , Platformers , Side Scrollers , Point and Click Adventure , Space Sims , War Simulators , 4x Strategy , Arcade Racers

PS4 : RTS , MMOs , Third Person Shooters , old school FPS , Platformers , Side Scrollers , Survival Horror , RPGs , Point and Click Adventure Games , War Simulators , 4x Strategy , Arcade Racers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Before I get to the list, let me share the requirements. A console must have at least three (somewhat good) games from any given (popular) genre to not go on the list. I may miss a few titles here and there, because I'm doing this mostly by memory, and I may just exclude others based on ratings and popularity. I'm also going to include a couple of games that have yet to be released, but are coming very soonâ„¢, like Smash. Feel free to correct me!

Wii U is lacking: Adventure, FPS, Flying, RTS, RPG, Sports, TPS, TBS.

PS4 is lacking: Fighting, Party.

Xbox One is lacking: Fighting, Flying, Party, RTS, RPG, TPS, TBS.

Now a deeper analysis on the qualifications of each console (yeah, I'm bored right now):

Wii U

• Action: Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, The Wonderful 101. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Adventure: Rise of the Guardians. - Does not qualify.
  • Fighting: Tekken Tag, Injustice, Smash Bros. - Qualifies.
  • FPS: Call of Duty: Ghosts, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. - Does not qualify.
  • Flying: No entries. - Does not qualify.
  • Party: Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Game & Wario. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies.
  • Platformer: Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Racing: Mario Kart 8, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Sonic & All Stars Racing - No more entries necessary.Qualifies with honors.
  • RTS: Pikmin 3. Does not qualify.
  • RPG: Mass Effect 3 and Child of Light. - Does not qualify.
  • Sports: Wii Sports Club. (Games such as Fifa 13 and NBA 2k13 are considered outdated/obsolete and do not make the list) - Does not qualify.
  • Survival Horror: Resident Evil Revelations, ZombiU, Lone Survivor. - Qualifies.
  • TPS: Sniper Elite V2. - Does not qualify.
  • TBS: No entries. - Does not qualify.

PS4

• Action: Samurai Warriors 4, Warriors Orochi 3, Shadow of Mordor. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Adventure: Hohokum, Sherlock Holmes C&P, Another World. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies.
  • Fighting: Injustice - Does not qualify.
  • FPS: Battlefield 4, Wolfenstein, Killzone. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Flying: War Thunder, Strike Zero Suit, Air Conflicts. - Qualifies.
  • Party: No entries. - Does not qualify.
  • Platformer: Rayman Legends, Fez, Oddworld. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Racing: Need For Speed: Rivals, Trials Fusion, Driveclub. - Qualifies.
  • RTS: Anomaly 2, Awesomenauts, Bladestorm. - Qualifies.
  • RPG: Final Fantasy XIV. Pier Solar, Child of Light. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies.
  • Sports: FIFA 15, NBA 2K15, Madden 15. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Survival Horror: The Last of Us, Alien: Isolation, The Evil Within. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • TPS: Dead Nation, Octodad, Sniper Elite III - No more entries necessary. Qualifies.
  • TBS: Worms Battlegrounds, Natural Doctrine, Transistor. - Qualifies.

Xbox One

• Action: Super Time Force, Warriors Orochi 3, Shadow of Mordor. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Adventure: D4, Sherlock Holmes C&P, Another World. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies.
  • Fighting: Killer Instinct. - Does not qualify.
  • FPS: Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Wolfenstein. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Flying: Strike Suit Zero. - Does not qualify.
  • Party: No entries. - Does not qualify.
  • Platformer: Rayman Legends, Guacamelee, Skylanders Trap Team. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Racing: Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 5, Trials Fusion. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • RTS: No entries. - Does not qualify.
  • RPG: Child of Light, TESO, Pier Solar. - Qualifies
  • Sports: FIFA 15, NBA 2K15, Madden 15. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • Survival Horror: Dead Rising 3, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation. - No more entries necessary. Qualifies with honors.
  • TPS: Sniper Elite III. - Does not qualify.
  • TBS: Worms Battlegrounds. - Does not qualify.

Conclusion (aka tl;dr):

1. PS4 has the most varied library but is lacking top-tier exclusives (that aren't remakes).
  2. Wii U is the least varied but is incredibly strong at the few genres it does have (Action and Platformers, in particular, are simply insane).
  3. The Xbox One is only slightly more varied than the Wii U, but is carried by some very interesting and well placed exclusives.
  4. Surprisingly strong Survival Horror lineups on both the Xbox and the Playstation.
  5. Strategy games on all consoles are of (somewhat) low quality.
  6. Indie games are a vital part of the libraries of modern day consoles.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@hernandezzzz: good list and explanations.