What few underaprreciated gems should everyone have in their game collection?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

Since most of us our thinning out our library and getting ready to buy the new systems, what are a few games do you think everyne should have on their shelf? Your personal favorite cult hits, or games that just got lost behind Call of Duty and Skyrim ect.

I am gonna go with Spec Ops The Line. Gameplay is decent and the graphics are OK considering the devs split bloom all over the place but it is one of the few shooters with a great story.

Mirror's Edge would of been another choice but I think that game has had enough people talk about it that EA is doing a sequel. I did think Syndicate (I never played the old ones so it was new to me), Alan Wake, and Bulletstorm should be at the least, played through.

#2 Posted by tagyhag (15869 posts) -
Idk, everyone has different tastes.
#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26011 posts) -

overlord

ace combat 6

stranglehold

warhawk

#4 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

Dark Messiah: Best first person melee I have comes across. Chivalry is a close second but that is MP only.

Hard Reset: An awesome retro-esque FPS

Orcs Must Die 2: Outstanding co op third person tower defense game with tons of replay value

#5 Posted by locopatho (22682 posts) -
In the wake of the Sim City controversy, I must yet again recommend Tropico 3: it's a city builder set on a Cuba like island during the cold war. You build houses and play the economic game, but must also choose political positions, fight elections (or ban them), bribe or kill enemy politicians, keep people happy with jobs, bribes or brute force, etc. Great stuff altogether.
#6 Posted by Jack-Burton (2433 posts) -
#7 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26011 posts) -

In the wake of the Sim City controversy, I must yet again recommend Tropico 3: it's a city builder set on a Cuba like island during the cold war. You build houses and play the economic game, but must also choose political positions, fight elections (or ban them), bribe or kill enemy politicians, keep people happy with jobs, bribes or brute force, etc. Great stuff altogether.locopatho
tropico was always better than sim city.

#8 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

Cryostasis:sleep of reason. Great game and practically unknown. 

inb4 someone says a really well received well known game and claims it's underrated

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#9 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12047 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]In the wake of the Sim City controversy, I must yet again recommend Tropico 3: it's a city builder set on a Cuba like island during the cold war. You build houses and play the economic game, but must also choose political positions, fight elections (or ban them), bribe or kill enemy politicians, keep people happy with jobs, bribes or brute force, etc. Great stuff altogether.Riverwolf007

tropico was always better than sim city.

No it wasn't. Driver San Francisco Mark of the Ninja Forza Horizon Project Gotham racing 4
#10 Posted by SolidTy (49938 posts) -

Mario all

Kirby all

Zelda all

Pikmin all

Metroid all

#11 Posted by SolidTy (49938 posts) -

Half-Life all

Witcher all

Portal all

Doom all

Command and Conquer most

Doom all

Diablo all

Starcraft all

PC RPGs not included, a whole giant list if I did.

#12 Posted by KiZZo1 (3974 posts) -

Zack & Wiki.

#13 Posted by Jack-Burton (2433 posts) -
[size=28]Moonstone[/size] I love that game with a passion would love an XBLA or PsN remake, gaming wizards ol'Jack says make it so.
#14 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

This gen:

• 3d dot game heroes
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Folklore

All time:

• Dark Cloud 1 + 2
  • Klonoa 2
  • legacy of kain: soul reaver 2
#15 Posted by immortality20 (8534 posts) -

Rayman Origins
Shadows of the Damned
Dark Sector
Bulletstorm
Bayoneta
Alice: Madness Returns
Bourne Conspiracy
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Wet
Alan Wake
Crackdown 1 & 2
Darksiders 1 & 2 
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Condemned 1 & 2

These games are all awesome and under $20. 

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#16 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18413 posts) -

Xenoblade. I understand that it's very well known on this site but its sales indicate that not many people knew about it outside the internet. It's a highly accessible, yet amazing RPG. That and Radiant Historia. Both are awesome, easily some of the all time greats.

#17 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. so much fun.
#18 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

.Jack-Burton

A Commodore 64 game ...

Mr Burton you are just the dude. 

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18413 posts) -

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. so much fun.Some-Mist

Is it really that good? I still need to beat the original on my Wii from the VC... It's a tough ass game :P

#20 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Disgaea 4 - Really everyone I know who has given this SRPG a good try ended up loving this game and addicted. I think more people should look past the art style and give this wonderful game a try.

There a  few other games like Journey, Heavy Rain, 3d dot game heroes, SOTC and ICO, I love them but I can see some people just not enjoying them. So everyone even not in RPG's or SRPG's should give Disgaea 4 a try.

Go Buy It Right Now and be prepared to put in 80+ hours worth every sent of your purchase.

fo_0-2.jpg

#21 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

Any true gamer should play Amnesia at least once.

Immersing yourself in that game is just amazing.

#22 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Risen, Space Rangers 2, King's Bounty, Legend of Grimrock, Cryostasis are some of my favorite.

#24 Posted by themajormayor (25229 posts) -

GDDR5 is the embodiment of an underrated gem.

#26 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. so much fun.turtlethetaffer

Is it really that good? I still need to beat the original on my Wii from the VC... It's a tough ass game :P

I'm not really a fan of the original to be honest.. I would say that star successor improves on Successor of the Earth in nearly every way. Using the gamecube controller is insane tough, and the wii-mote actually feels pretty natural with it. I typically prefer using the GC controller too. video of a pro playing easily the best rail shooter I've ever played.
#27 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

Singularity

The Saboteur

#28 Posted by Chrome- (1695 posts) -
Alpha Protocol
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
#29 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Nier. A game too complex and brilliant for it's own good, released in a time when spectacle is more cherished than genuinely great storytelling and high art. Such a shame that it will never obtain the notoriety it deserves.

#30 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
apart from all of the games mentioned: Deathsmiles
#31 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -
  • Sonic 06
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
  • Mugen Souls
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Catherine

If you didn't play any of these games this generation, you sure were missing out. ;) I feel bad for you. :P