What exactly do people see in a Zelda game to get so hyped?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Is it just brand loyalty? Everybody went nuts at E3 with the Zelda trailer, I understand that Zelda appeals to an audience far bigger than just gamers...but what exactly do people see in it? Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda.

I mean seriously, Zelda is always like 4 steps back from the other games. 2015 and just now do they decide to try "open world" (which im pretty sure will either be extremely restrictive OR very small). The story is nothing special either, it's pretty mediocre and short, and filled with cliches of the saga (for example:the main villain switches halfway through the story). They just use the same recycled plot and change a few things to make it look a bit different.

Really at this point, Zelda has nothing going for its name other than brand loyalty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Ah, yes, I love all this knowledge you have of what the final product will be like, thanks to your insight into the game's development. Can you also please tell me how many dungeons the game will have? And if they made the combat more difficult? Thanks.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Bayonetta is gonna be bundled with Bayonetta 2.

Get hyped, lightleggy!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Dat pony tail for the new game.

Once you play a LoZ game you know why, they are just hella fun.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

They are fun games, even if it's mostly nostalgia. I don't think I've played a Zelda game I didn't enjoy.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lightleggy

@charizard1605 said:

Ah, yes, I love all this knowledge you have of what the final product will be like, thanks to your insight into the game's development. Can you also please tell me how many dungeons the game will have? And if they made the combat more difficult? Thanks.

Did you even read the thread?

Why do people get hyped about it? Also, yes when the franchise has been doing the same for literally 16 years, it's a pretty safe bet to make a prediction.

It still doesn't changes the fact that as far as the genre goes, it's miles behind other games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

I like the games. I've missed a bunch, which sucks, but i'll be jumping right into this.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

The thing at e3 was kinda lame lol. But people are crazy about it because they are long time fans. Nothing more complicated than that.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

I wasn't aware the was an expiration date for when to do open world in video games. This is a huge leap for the series & should bring some big changes to the zelda formula.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

You're pretty ignorant if you think the Zelda series hasn't evolved since Ocarina of Time.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Not sure, last 2 games flopped.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'd have to disagree about the gameplay not evolving "1 bit since OoT." Someone didn't play Skyward Sword...

To answer the question: because I know it will be a quality game that even at it's worst will probably be better than a majority of games on the market. And it's an incredibly journey forged around a core theme, utilizing its simplicity to create an inspired adventure.

That, and every other game has been stellar so why not be hyped? Why am I and many others also hyped for Uncharted 4 when we barely saw anything for that?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Nonetheless, I'm not as hyped as most people are for it. I got what I expected, so I am satisfied. There's still not much info on it, once things start being announced for it my hype will rise more.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It is 100% brand loyalty and Nintendo has earned it. All 3D Zelda titles have been amazing so far, so people get hyped when a new one is announced, even when no gameplay is shown. Oh, and here's hoping you are right about the game being extremely restrictive.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Lol lightleggy thread.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'd say the same thing about Uncharted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

A Link Between Worlds flopped? News to me, I thought it was GotY here last year, beating out competition like GTA5 and TLOU.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Heil68 said:

SS & BW were amazing games that sold well.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lightleggy

@Zassimick said:

I'd have to disagree about the gameplay not evolving "1 bit since OoT." Someone didn't play Skyward Sword...

To answer the question: because I know it will be a quality game that even at it's worst will probably be better than a majority of games on the market. And it's an incredibly journey forged around a core theme, utilizing its simplicity to create an inspired adventure.

That, and every other game has been stellar so why not be hyped? Why am I and many others also hyped for Uncharted 4 when we barely saw anything for that?

I actually did played Skyward sword, Or should I say ocarina of sword?

There were no big gameplay additions, Heck I wouldn't even consider the bird to be an addition since it's basically just a faster epona.

Its the same formula we've been seeing for all these years.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000

@lightleggy said:

@Zassimick said:

I actually did played Skyward sword, Or should I say ocarina of sword?

There were no big gameplay additions, Heck I wouldn't even consider the bird to be an addition since it's basically just a faster epona.

Its the same formula we've been seeing for all these years.

I think the thing you need to consider is that just about everybody but yourself loves that formula.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox
@lightleggy said:

Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Said only people who haven't played a Zelda game since OoT.

Even Twilight Princess, which was OoT 2.0 made some strides to move the genre forwards.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Alil something called GAMEPLAY ! ! !

You're probably unfamiliar with the term.

and you can take your Witcher, Dark Souls and Skyrim and you can suck it ! :p suck it good !

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

A Link Between Worlds flopped? News to me, I thought it was GotY here last year, beating out competition like GTA5 and TLOU.

Last 2 console games flopped, better?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Infinitely so =-3

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@jeager_titan said:

Is this thread for serious?

You are in the presence of the mighty lightleggy. Bow your head in awe of his stupid.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Is it just brand loyalty? Everybody went nuts at E3 with the Zelda trailer, I understand that Zelda appeals to an audience far bigger than just gamers...but what exactly do people see in it? Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Every other game like it, like the witcher, dark souls, or even skyrim is waaay better at the adventure genre than Zelda.

I mean seriously, Zelda is always like 4 steps back from the other games. 2015 and just now do they decide to try "open world" (which im pretty sure will either be extremely restrictive OR very small). The story is nothing special either, it's pretty mediocre and short, and filled with cliches of the saga (for example:the main villain switches halfway through the story). They just use the same recycled plot and change a few things to make it look a bit different.

Really at this point, Zelda has nothing going for its name other than brand loyalty.

That's false, there are different nuances, tweaks and full blown changes to the combat mechanics between the 3D Zelda games, which you'd know if you would play them back to back, and Skyward Sword's combat is completely different, so that point you raised is fundamentally, and painfully wrong.

Shallow? The series features far more puzzle solving and exploration than almost anything resembling an action-adventure game. Witcher, Dark Souls and Skyrim are RPGs that are worlds apart in differentiation from Zelda. Why would you even mention them? Because you thought that the Zelda series was of the RPG genre? You're wrong.

They already stated that the world won't be restrictive or small, and i'd rather take their word over yours. Just because the story is simplistic, doesn't make it bad.

Your thread is a joke.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

To answer the O.P., I'd say h-o-p-e. People see hope for the Wii U when it comes to Zelda because they have always been epic and always seemed to raise the bar.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Right. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time have the exact same design philosophy. Totally.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@PannicAtack said:

Right. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time have the exact same design philosophy. Totally.

Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask really do mix things up quite a bit, but OOT, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess all are pretty similar.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox

@farrell2k said:

What do people see in Zelda? Zelda, one of the grandparents of adventure gaming? You cannot be serious. I suspect that the op is just a dumb ass looking for attention. Go play HALO or Killzone and leave us alone.

Kind of unfair to compare Halo and Killzone. Halo is actually a quality series that has advanced the genre with several iterations (at least on consoles), while Killzone is just derivative.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

i ask myself the same thing about most of sony`s first party game. i really dont mind zelda games because they are classics. but 4 little big planets in 10 years how many uncharteds? rachets. argg i am not buying a ps4 till they bring out some other games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@monson21502 said:

i ask myself the same thing about most of sony`s first party game. i really dont mind zelda games because they are classics. but 4 little big planets in 10 years how many uncharteds? rachets. argg i am not buying a ps4 till they bring out some other games

It's actually five LittleBigPlanet games in six years, with the PS4 game (LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, LittleBigPlanet for PSP, LittleBigPlanet for PS Vita, and now LittleBigPlanet 3).

It's also five Uncharted games in eight years with Uncharted 4 (Uncharted:: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted: Among Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Deception, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and now Uncharted: A Thief's End).

Too many Ratchet games to count, so not even gonna bother with that.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@lightleggy said:

What's your favorite game? So I can tell you how it's crap and wonder how on earth you could enjoy it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

They flopped hard on Gamespot (some Nintendo fans sent Jeff G death threats for giving TP 8.8/10). And that's all that matters in System Wars.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

oh ok, well in that case TLOU got over 200 GOTYs and is sitting at what 95%?

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

You know I actually have a hard time putting into words what I enjoy about Zelda. Rewarding exploration, a great soundtrack, fun dungeons. Not to talk trash, but I wouldn't really say that the Witcher series or Skyrim really have those qualities. Dark Souls does, and I do enjoy it, but if you're looking for something that's less of a downer Zelda is the way to go.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PurpleMan5000

@Heil68 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

The Last of Us really was a fantastic game. Easily one of the best games of 2013 and among the best of last gen.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Between Worlds is my third favorite Zelda and from a design standpoint is probably the best designed Zelda game to date. No bullshit tutorials, dungeons can be completed in almost any order if you purchase the proper weapons, the puzzles are fresh and more complex, and the dungeon design is phenomenal. I don't know how anyone could say A Link Between Worlds is a flop.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@Heil68: The same reason cows still hype TLOU remake even though the PS3 version flopped. And same reason they still hype Uncharted 4 even though Golden Abyss flopped: Gamespot scores aren't everything.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Heil68: The same reason cows still hype TLOU remake even though the PS3 version flopped. And same reason they still hype Uncharted 4 even though Golden Abyss flopped: Gamespot scores aren't everything.

Well ask Charz about SS and his love for that game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

back in the day when zelda was my number one franchise I liked it because there really weren't many games like it and because of the tv show. You explored and look for items and stuff that made you more powerful. I mean, what cold have been better than a game where you explore the world with a shield and sword killing stuff? And the shield wasn't just for show either, you could actually repel attacks with it. Then we have the classic premise of a knight trying to save a country from evil and save the princess. Nintendo did a lot with practically nothing on the NES.

Why I stopped linking zelda? Zelda OOT was mindblowing for its time. It had the best graphics,unique combat system, day/night cycles, you could ride a fucking horse in a 3D plain, the time travel, etc. OOT was the best game of that generation but the franchise didn't evolve beyond that and I simply got fed up with it and jumped ship to sony that had a much wider library of games and never looked back. Most of my favorite games are Playstation games.

As to why people still like them? Well, they are still good games. And people still love pokemon even though that franchise has been the same from the start. I like Megaman X so much I could be playing the same kind of game the rest of my life and I think that's it. Depending on your taste and tolerance some people just love to play the same shit over and over again. COD series would be another example of people loving a formula.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Nostalgia.. Next question.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox

@Heil68 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

And lost to a handheld Zelda game here. Ouch.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Why do gamers hype up any game? Why hype up teaser trailers and cgi?