What does Xbox live have that PS3 doesn't?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

I recently traded my PS3 for a 360 only to find out I had to pay for online. This is stupid to me no matter how I look at it, but people seem convinced Live is well worth the extra cash ... only problem is no matter how many times I ask nobody seems to want to tell me what makes Live so much better. Oh ... and I just opened my inbox to find a point loss message for asking what Xbox live does on the 360 forum.

#2 Posted by wayne_kar (2090 posts) -

if all you want to do is play on your own against random people online then live really does not offer anything to justify the cost. But as soon as you have a group of friends that want to play together then PSN's flaws become clear. Live is a constant through out EVERY 360 game. some PS3 games just dont support voice chat at all.

but the real stupid thing here is buying a expensive purchase with your eyes closed.

#3 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -
Well...almost alot of nice content and DLC maybe..netfliks? Some things are also restricted to US/UK/AUS/EU. Hell..in some countries i checked CANNOT even access a PSStore (Seriously)
#4 Posted by Vadamee (1195 posts) -
Fun. Ease. Personality. Playing on PSN is like playing Perfect Dark with a bunch of bots. Playing on XBL is like having your friends there with you, in the room. /thread
#5 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

if all you want to do is play on your own against random people online then live really does not offer anything to justify the cost. But as soon as you have a group of friends that want to play together then PSN's flaws become clear. Live is a constant through out EVERY 360 game. some PS3 games just dont support voice chat at all.

but the real stupid thing here is buying a expensive purchase with your eyes closed.

wayne_kar

I can invite friends whenever I want in all the online PS3 games I have. It never even occured to be I'd have to pay for such a basic feature. Never had a problem with voice chat so I can't really say anything either way. Expensive? Nah, I bought my PS3 400 euro with two free games, 2 free joypads and a mike. When I bought the PS3 first it had a 40gb HD but I later put my old 120gb laptop hard drive in. To put that in perspective the total price of my Wii, considering all the add-on I had to buy comes to around 500 euro.

#6 Posted by ThePhantomGamer (1813 posts) -

The only thing I can think of is bratty little kids.

#7 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

There always seems to more content on xbox live. Xbox live get a at least one arcade game most weeks, all arcade games have demos, there seems to more game demo comes on xbox live, more trailers and preview for games etc.It used to be that the 360 got some demo before the PS3 but am not sure if that still happens.

The PSN has improved alot since it first came out but a lot of improvement they added was asked for because they where added to the 360 but Sony still hasn't added everything that people wants yet. Cross game chat, quick launch of games from XMB etc

#8 Posted by KodiakGTS (1262 posts) -

Parties (Party Chat, Group Joins, Party Watch (w/Netflix))
Netflix Connectivity
XBLA and Indie Games
XBL Primetime (1 vs 100, etc)
Complete Integration

#9 Posted by Totalgym9000 (1456 posts) -
Fun. Ease. Personality. Playing on PSN is like playing Perfect Dark with a bunch of bots. Playing on XBL is like having your friends there with you, in the room. /threadVadamee
Thats just totally wrong, If all your friends are on xbox live then of course xbox live is going to feel a lot more fun, But if all your friends are on PS3 then your going to have a blast playing online as well, for me all my Friends have ps3s and we have had a blast playing on the PSN. on the other hand I Dont have any friends on the 360 mainly because ive only paid for live once and never again since it's free on the ps3.
#10 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

Well...almost alot of nice content and DLC maybe..netfliks? Some things are also restricted to US/UK/AUS/EU. Hell..in some countries i checked CANNOT even access a PSStore (Seriously) Ratchet_Fan8

DLC? That's not a feature exclusive to the 360. PS3 has had DLC content since it started. And on my 360 I'm currently able to access a lot of the DLC demos without paying for Live. The only difference I noticed is that on the 360 they make it so you have to have a paying Live account to download some demos which are free on the PS3.

What's netflix?

I've never had any problem with acccesing the PS3 store, in fact you're the first person I've ever seen mention it. Why should I pay extra to fix a problem I've never had.

#11 Posted by bronxxbombers (2840 posts) -
Wait for navyguy. He has a great list of everything.
#12 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

wayne_kar
This is fairly accurate.
#13 Posted by sexy_robot_man (1002 posts) -

I recently traded my PS3 for a 360 only to find out I had to pay for online. This is stupid to me no matter how I look at it, but people seem convinced Live is well worth the extra cash ... only problem is no matter how many times I ask nobody seems to want to tell me what makes Live so much better. Oh ... and I just opened my inbox to find a point loss message for asking what Xbox live does on the 360 forum.

dizzyrhino

An actual sense of community and complete intergration.

#14 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

sexy_robot_man

yeah. knowledge that it will work pretty much the same for every single game
#16 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

ThePhantomGamer

K ... I can agree with that one. It's the same reason I bought the COD4 map packs on PS3.

#17 Posted by treyskillz (1576 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vadamee"]Fun. Ease. Personality. Playing on PSN is like playing Perfect Dark with a bunch of bots. Playing on XBL is like having your friends there with you, in the room. /threadTotalgym9000
Thats just totally wrong, If all your friends are on xbox live then of course xbox live is going to feel a lot more fun, But if all your friends are on PS3 then your going to have a blast playing online as well, for me all my Friends have ps3s and we have had a blast playing on the PSN. on the other hand I Dont have any friends on the 360 mainly because ive only paid for live once and never again since it's free on the ps3.

he means comunicating with friends online, is just easier on live. Even messaging is easier, private chat, party chat (crossgame chat), I'm not saying it's worth $50 but I do like it better (live just seems easier to control, more user-friendly IMO)

#18 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

Why did you give up your PS3 for a 360?

#19 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

[QUOTE="sexy_robot_man"]

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

Jandurin

See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday without problems. When I buy newly released games my only worry lies with the devs who more tan likely messed up their programming ... as is the problem on both consoles nowadays. But inevitably along comes a patch to solve the problem.

#20 Posted by Myzz617 (2026 posts) -

you pay mor ebecause your 360 will fail one day so you can pay again and waste more $$. Honestly i dont see the difference I have both and depending on the game depends what system i get it for. Live does have a larger community whichk means more meat heads your going to run into as well.

#21 Posted by snakefist5000 (186 posts) -

From what I'm told, the money people pay for Xbox live goes towards bandwidth for Microsoft. This allows game company's put demos and DLC on xbox live for free, unlike PSN where the developers have to pay.

I always think that Xbox Live gets ridiculed too much just because of It's price. Also, I think it's stupid to say PSN is better because it's free when, essentially, you get what you don't pay for. And that is less content.

Remember guys, this is just my own opinion.

#22 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -
See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday dizzyrhino
I thought you sold your PS3.
#23 Posted by wayne_kar (2090 posts) -

[QUOTE="ThePhantomGamer"]

dizzyrhino

K ... I can agree with that one. It's the same reason I bought the COD4 map packs on PS3.

with the price drop they will come. oh yes they will come.
#24 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

campbell1874

Because 360 games have traditionnaly been a lot cheaper or tend to reach lower prices a lot faster after release. Until a while ago I couldn't find a copy of Little Big Planet for under 70 euro. Now that's all started to change though. The other day I saw MGS4 for 20 euro ... nearly ripped the box in half.

#25 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

you pay mor ebecause your 360 will fail one day so you can pay again and waste more $$. Honestly i dont see the difference I have both and depending on the game depends what system i get it for. Live does have a larger community whichk means more meat heads your going to run into as well.

Myzz617
Thats an interesting way to spin having a bigger community.
#26 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday Jandurin

Oh you quick witted scamp picking up on a simple error on my part as you did. Bravo you've foiled my nefarious scheme to single handedly topple Microsoft ... which given some of the replies here wouldn't be too hard.

#27 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="campbell1874"]

dizzyrhino

Because 360 games have traditionnaly been a lot cheaper or tend to reach lower prices a lot faster after release. Until a while ago I couldn't find a copy of Little Big Planet for under 70 euro. Now that's all started to change though. The other day I saw MGS4 for 20 euro ... nearly ripped the box in half.

I bought MGS4 the week it came out for $35. Sometimes it pays to look around for deals.
#28 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="sexy_robot_man"]An actual sense of community and complete intergration.

dizzyrhino

See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday without problems. When I buy newly released games my only worry lies with the devs who more tan likely messed up their programming ... as is the problem on both consoles nowadays. But inevitably along comes a patch to solve the problem.

When the arcade/PSN game Battlefield came out it had problems with people not being able to use the mics. The PS3 owner couldn't do anything about it but the 360 owner could just connent to a party where they couldstill talk to friends when playing the game.

Did the PS3 version ever get fixed?

#29 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday dizzyrhino

Oh you quick witted scamp picking up on a simple error on my part as you did. Bravo you've foiled my nefarious scheme to single handedly topple Microsoft ... which given some of the replies here wouldn't be too hard.

Many have tried and failed before you.
#30 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]See, this is what I don't get, I play my PS3 online everyday dizzyrhino

:lol: Best post of the day.
#31 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

[QUOTE="campbell1874"]

dizzyrhino

I agree. I dont understand why games stay such a high price with the PS3 but the 360 prices drop fast?

#32 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

[QUOTE="campbell1874"]

campbell1874

I agree. I dont understand why games stay such a high price with the PS3 but the 360 prices drop fast?

Publishers set the price for games. Used games tend to sell at a percent of the new games, so if the publisher won't lower the MSRP, the game stays high in price. Since Sony is the publisher on most of the games people complain about being so highly priced, it stands to reason Sony is reluctant to lower prices on games it knows will sell at higher prices.
#33 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -

campbell1874
now that i'm looking at PS3 games, I've noticed the same thing. WTF do PS3 games cost so much?
#34 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -
[QUOTE="campbell1874"]

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

SpruceCaboose

Publishers set the price for games. Used games tend to sell at a percent of the new games, so if the publisher won't lower the MSRP, the game stays high in price. Since Sony is the publisher on most of the games people complain about being so highly priced, it stands to reason Sony is reluctant to lower prices on games it knows will sell at higher prices.

stupid hateful Sony
#35 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="campbell1874"]

Jandurin

stupid hateful Sony

I would buy more games if they were cheaper. Instead I buy 360 games.

#36 Posted by Cow_tipping (602 posts) -

[QUOTE="campbell1874"]

Jandurin

now that i'm looking at PS3 games, I've noticed the same thing. WTF do PS3 games cost so much?

maybe because they are blue-ray disc they keep the price the same longer to make up for the cost of printing those disc

after all blue-ray disc cost more than dvd's so it could be worse

i know i would hate it if ps3 games cost $70-80 because they are blue-ray

#37 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24001 posts) -

dizzyrhino

because a guy that would hang out in sw would not know about the xbl fee...:lol:

if you are just going to make stuff up none of us can help you

#38 Posted by Jandurin (95552 posts) -

Instead I buy 360 games.

SpruceCaboose
yeah, 360 will remain my mutliplat device i think
#39 Posted by krazy-blazer (1759 posts) -

wayne_kar

You can play with friends on PSN, and we're not talking about Ps3 games we're talking about the console, The Ps3 itself supports voice chat outside the game,so if you haven't tried please don't say anything Mr.Fanboy
Well...almost alot of nice content and DLC maybe..netfliks? Some things are also restricted to US/UK/AUS/EU. Hell..in some countries i checked CANNOT even access a PSStore (Seriously) Ratchet_Fan8
You can make an account registered with another country, i did it to download demos, problem solved

And speaking prices, If you can't afford something don't attack it, and besides Ps3 Games are more expensive because it is Blu-ray, Also Not everyone can afford PS3/PS3 Games

#40 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="campbell1874"]

Cow_tipping

maybe because they are blue-ray disc they keep the price the same longer to make up for the cost of printing those disc

The cost of a Blu-ray disc is largely irrelevant. The differences in gross cost to the companies is less than a dollar.
#41 Posted by 93soccer (4602 posts) -
[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"]

I can invite friends whenever I want in all the online PS3 games I have. It never even occured to be I'd have to pay for such a basic feature. Never had a problem with voice chat so I can't really say anything either way. Expensive? Nah, I bought my PS3 400 euro with two free games, 2 free joypads and a mike. When I bought the PS3 first it had a 40gb HD but I later put my old 120gb laptop hard drive in. To put that in perspective the total price of my Wii, considering all the add-on I had to buy comes to around 500 euro.

They are talking about cross game invites and chat which you can't do on psn. Also, you can get into parties and just talk or watch movies in a virtual theatre with your avatars and friends. Plus, Live is really extensive and updates quite regularly with atleast a major update every year.
#42 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

Riverwolf007

because a guy that would hang out in sw would not know about the xbl fee...:lol:

if you are just going to make stuff up none of us can help you

I don't hang out here. In fact I think this my first post in this forum ever. I was stupid to assume a very basic feature that is free on the other systems would be free on the 360.

#43 Posted by krazy-blazer (1759 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cow_tipping"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] now that i'm looking at PS3 games, I've noticed the same thing. WTF do PS3 games cost so much?SpruceCaboose

The cost of a Blu-ray disc is largely irrelevant. The differences in gross cost to the companies is less than a dollar.

PS3 Games cost $59(about 23KD in my country) at most (not special editions like Collector edition)
#44 Posted by Totalgym9000 (1456 posts) -

From what I'm told, the money people pay for Xbox live goes towards bandwidth for Microsoft. This allows game company's put demos and DLC on xbox live for free, unlike PSN where the developers have to pay.

I always think that Xbox Live gets ridiculed too much just because of It's price. Also, I think it's stupid to say PSN is better because it's free when, essentially, you get what you don't pay for. And that is less content.

Remember guys, this is just my own opinion.

snakefist5000

As far as content from the xbox live store goes you dont really because you get all the content with a silver account, all you have to pay for with live is to play games online that is why a lot of non 360 fanboys call out **** on microsofts behalf because you should never ever have to pay for PEER TO PEER gaming it's total ****, the Money they earn off of xbox live arcade should be more than enough to cover these so called banbwidth costs.

#45 Posted by campbell1874 (1920 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="campbell1874"]

Cow_tipping

I thought that in the past but i notice with multi-plateform games they can come down in price for the PS3 and 360 at the same time.

I think its what TC said. Its Sony just keeping the prices high to make extra profit.

#46 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Cow_tipping"]

krazy-blazer

PS3 Games cost $59(about 23KD in my country) at most (not special editions like Collector edition)

Cool story. Now what does that have to do with the cost of raw Blu-ray discs ready for pressing?

#47 Posted by SpruceCaboose (24583 posts) -

I thought that in the past but i notice with multi-plateform games they can come down in price for the PS3 and 360 at the same time.

I think its what TC said. Its Sony just keeping the prices high to make extra profit.

campbell1874
Not for nothing, I am not the TC. I don't want credit for this thread.
#48 Posted by dizzyrhino (885 posts) -

[QUOTE="dizzyrhino"]

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"]

93soccer

They are talking about cross game invites and chat which you can't do on psn. Also, you can get into parties and just talk or watch movies in a virtual theatre with your avatars and friends. Plus, Live is really extensive and updates quite regularly with atleast a major update every year.

Cross game chat? What do you mean cause you can text message people any time on PS3, send them voice messages, there's also the camera and the mike you can communicate when ur not in game. And PS3 has that MMORPG playstation home which, even though I never bothered with it, is incredibly extensive and customizable. There's even some pretty cool mini-games hidden in playstation home like home go-kart-racing, cards, bowling, pool, a mini-arcade, among others I can't really remember. There's even this cool feature where you can download special game rooms, like the African village from RE5 and explore it using your avatar. Best of all it comes free with the PS3 ... so really you're automatically getting a game with it. And hell, sony even hire directors to make HD movies exclusive to the PS3 then distribute it through PSN for free. They actually make movies for you!

#49 Posted by JediRiff (2159 posts) -
What does Xbox Live have that the PS3 doesnt?? Me!!!! :D Seriously, though.. its really going to boil down to preference.
#50 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
It has a pricetag.