What do you value the most in a video game?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by charizard1605 (58305 posts) 1 year, 19 days ago

Poll: What do you value the most in a video game? (83 votes)

Mechanics and interactivity 29%
Player Agency 1%
Graphics (Technical and/or artistic) 6%
Sound Design (Ambient and/or musical) 1%
Controls 2%
Story and Presentation 27%
Production Values 0%
Replay Value and/or Lasting Appeal 17%
Game Design 17%

First off, I would like to start by saying that there is no right or wrong answer. This thread is not an attempt to make a 'holier than thou' statement. But given how diverse games have become, and how different they all can be from one another, I attempted to try and understand what System Wars values the most in a video game. I hope that everyone will answer this question honestly.

If I had to rank it for myself, in decreasing order of importance, it would be Mechanics and Interactivity->Player Agency->Game Design->Sound Design->Controls->Graphics->Production Values->Story and Presentation->Replay Value and/or Lasting Appeal.

I do think all nine of them are variously important (depending on the kind of game it is- an epic story would make no sense in a Madden game, for example), but if I had to rank all of them, Mechanics and Interactivity would be first and foremost, with Player Agency a close second (for example, the reason I love Skyrim so much even though it has so many other failings is because it has so much Player Agency- I can do what I want, when I want, where I want; this is also the reason I disliked Skyward Sword, it took away too much Player Agency from me, especially compared to previous Zelda games).

Of course, often, I run into games I like a lot which seem to defy my preferences, but on the whole, I think the kinds of games I like are pretty consistent with my preferences up there.

#51 Posted by locopatho (20385 posts) -

The first thing I require in a game is accurate camera and fluent controls. That is why so many Wii titles were crap to me, motion controls + lack of second analogue stick for camera = me often frustrated. Also why I can't play many early 2D (Atari to NES) and 3D (N64/Saturn/PS1) where the developers hadn't worked out how to do them properly.

Once I have that, the next thing I require is fun gameplay. Doesn't matter if I'm solving puzzles, driving cars, shooting aliens, stabbing dragons, etc. I want understandable, fair, challenging, varied and enjoyable gameplay. Trivially easy games tend to bore me, while unfairly hard games frustrate me. ((I'm fine with the likes of Super Meat Boy and the Souls games, they are fair challenges) Nor do I want to do the same thing over and over again.

After that, a sense of freedom and pretty graphics would be the next major things I'd look for.

Basically, I adore games like Skyrim because of this hierarchy. Skyrim has the camera and controls working fine, it has endless amounts of varied and fun gameplay, it has the complete player freedom, and it has very nice graphics too.

#52 Posted by kuu2 (7375 posts) -

The feeling it gives me when I play it. Nothing else matters.

#53 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

It's all about balance.

If a game has equal balance of mechanics, aesthetics, story, and technology; then the game itself is more likely to be a decent game. Therefore I value all of them equally.

Also, @charizard1605 , 'Game Design' as you put it in your poll covers the ENTIRE lot under it, so I guess Game Design is the only correct answer in your poll!

#54 Edited by handssss (1837 posts) -

Needs to either have great replay value or the game needs to last long enough for me to where I can enjoy myself for awhile and then be ok with setting it down without playing it again (until after X amount of months or years pass)

#55 Posted by bbkkristian (14957 posts) -

I really have to say the soundtrack, if I can jam to the soundtrack during a boss fight or venturing the world, my overall opinion of the game would be more in favor.

Other than the soundtrack, the game design, specifically It's technical environments. What were the developers trying to portray, and did they succeed? Do I feel like I am in their world? I use all of these questions when critiquing a video game.

#56 Edited by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2087 posts) -

That it's fun. It can come from various things, be it a wonderful story or brilliant gameplay. So you'll see me playing Visual Novels with the same mindset I play a Mario game, for fun.

#57 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21810 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

I really have to say the soundtrack, if I can jam to the soundtrack during a boss fight or venturing the world, my overall opinion of the game would be more in favor.

Other than the soundtrack, the game design, specifically It's technical environments. What were the developers trying to portray, and did they succeed? Do I feel like I am in their world? I use all of these questions when critiquing a video game.

Exactly and Nier is the best example of this.

#58 Edited by Zassimick (6674 posts) -

I can't give a straight answer because it depends on the game. As long as I'm enjoying it, doesn't matter if the gameplay is lackluster or the story falters.

#59 Posted by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

Challenging and engaging but ultimately fair gameplay.

#60 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

A polished game with new gameplay idea's, we get way to many rehashes.

#61 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9631 posts) -

That's tough to answer. It really all depends on the genre of the game I'm playing.

#62 Posted by GerardoExber (79 posts) -

Story and Presentation

#63 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

Enjoyability. :)

#64 Edited by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

Story and presentation. To this game to me the games i remember the most and found the most enjoyable to play through were ones with good story and presentation. Given they also had fun gameplay, but i mostly remember the stories and it's what i use to sell the game for others to play.

Saying a game was fun is very subjective even among friends(I find for example a challenging game fun), but you tell them the game had a good story and it was fun, they'll come back to you like "oh good story?"

#65 Edited by Boddicker (2820 posts) -

Replay Value by a mile.

That's why most of my favorite games are strategy.

Games with 10-20 hour campaigns are nice, especially ones with multiple options like Dishonored, but I can't bring myself to pay $60 for something that I'm going to play thru once and usually never feel the urge to play again.

#66 Edited by 3SidedSquare (297 posts) -

LOL at voting for graphics. Really?

I'd rather every game have N64 graphics and have incredible gameplay than have all games be mediocre but be visually incredible (see: Crysis).

But if that's what gaming's about for you, then more power to ya.

#67 Posted by MrTakeda (141 posts) -

A Video game must be fun and contain some replay value to make it worthwhile purchasing instead of just renting, if a game fails to do either of these then the highest score it can possibly hope to achieve is a 6/10. Story, Graphics, sound design, etc, are a bonus. However, a game that can achieve all of these and not lose itself along the way is a 9/10. Its all about balance.

#68 Posted by Phreek300 (202 posts) -

I value story and presentation the most. RPG's are my favorite genre for that reason. Gameplay comes second. Sound is third. Graphics are fourth. If all are well balanced then production value falls into place.

#69 Posted by Zen_Light (1236 posts) -

What I like most is the fact that playing mature and violent games make me appear more manly on message boards.