What do you think will happen to Wii U and Vita?

• 57 results
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16880 posts) -

Wii U - I think Nintendo will try to save grace for another year or two before they announce a new console. Smash & Zelda will do good, but probably won't match previous series numbers (like Mario Kart).First/second party games will do great critically, but meh sales-wise. Nintendo people will buy it for sure. Everyone else will move on. Legacy wise - may end up being the worst Nintendo console.

Vita - I'm thinking Sony will throw the Vita a couple more bones before they really just let it go. Maybe we'll see a Gravity Rush 2 (I hope). Japanese games, multiplats, indies will have a home with Vita. Vita fans will continue to love their console. Everyone else will wonder what a Vita is or type #lolvita. Sony will mostly likely take another shot at handhelds. They will certainly learn a lot from Vita.

What do you think, SW? Let us know your thoughts.

#2 Posted by silversix_ (14083 posts) -

What do you think will happen to N64? Its not important that's what. Both the vita and wiiu are a waste plastic and metal. Nintendo can't abandon wiiu because it'll hurt them for next gen so expect WiiU to live at least another 2 years and probably 3. Vita, well, not like its alive now...

#3 Posted by Zelda187 (717 posts) -

They'll both pretty much fade into obscurity

I'll always root for Nintendo, even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. But the console game has totally passed them by. They appealed to a huge niche/casual audience with the Wii, but that's not happening again. It was a fluke.

They should just go all in with the handheld market, which they rule with an iron first and can do better than anyone. Sony should put all of their resources towards the PS4, not dick around with handhelds. The 3DS is certainly superior to the Vita.

#4 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26278 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

I'll always root for Nintendo, even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. But the console game has totally passed them by. They appealed to a huge niche/casual audience with the Wii, but that's not happening again. It was a fluke.

They should just go all in with the handheld market, which they rule with an iron first and can do better than anyone. Sony should put all of their resources towards the PS4, not dick around with handhelds. The 3DS is certainly superior to the Vita.

I'm sorry but... lol

#5 Edited by Raptor_Herc (186 posts) -

I imagine they'll be manufactured and sol for a while then, like any other console, get discontinued.

Perhaps the more interesting question would be what their successors will be like in light of their poor sales performance.

#6 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7503 posts) -

Nothing. They will both be around for the entirety of this generation despite all the gloom and doom idiots spew. They will be niche systems that cater to their fanbases.

#7 Posted by Zelda187 (717 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

I'm sorry but... lol

What's funny about it?

When the hell have the Vita, PSP, Gamegear, etc ever given a Gameboy or DS a run for their money?

#8 Edited by HernandeZzzz (155 posts) -

The Wii U will have the swift and certain death it deserves. A replacement will be around in two years. It will be seen as Nintendo's biggest flop of all time (excluding the Virtual Boy, of course).

The Vita will be around for a while longer. It will continue to get severely underrated, but undeniably unique, japanese games and indies. AAA titles will vanish. Contrary to popular belief, it won't be Sony's last handheld console.

#9 Posted by lostrib (34657 posts) -

lolvita

probably continue on as a PS4 add on

#10 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16880 posts) -

What do you think will happen to N64? Its not important that's what. Both the vita and wiiu are a waste plastic and metal. Nintendo can't abandon wiiu because it'll hurt them for next gen so expect WiiU to live at least another 2 years and probably 3. Vita, well, not like its alive now...

Hate to break it to you dude, but they discontinued N64 in 2003 :(

#11 Edited by xscrapzx (6394 posts) -

@Zelda187: The fact that the 3ds isn't doing all that great either. The bottom line is handhelds strictly for gaming are a very very niche market at best and a small one at that. They are no longer competing amongst themselves, they are now competing against the billions of tablets, smartphones, and any other 4-7 inch screen mobile device that does way more than what either one does. Its a stagnate market that is flooded and is now going to slow over the next few years. The days of the 3ds and the vita, in my opinion are pretty much over. Its very hard to sell someone a handheld that does strictly gaming when half the world is trying to limit the amount of crap they have in their pockets as is.

#12 Posted by Blabadon (25952 posts) -

The Wii U will be fine. The Vita will suffer more and more.

#13 Posted by MirkoS77 (7177 posts) -

I don't know. Don't really care about the Vita aside from it giving me the ability to play TLoU in my bed. Have a Wii U, Zelda is really all I'm looking forward to at this point, and that's a heavy if. It'll be supported for a few more years, will see bumps in sales here and there, but ultimately end up selling worse than the GC or around the same.

It's going to be very interesting to watch Nintendo over the coming years. They have reached a position where they are going to need to change, or they are going to really, really suffer. Hopefully they can do it, though with investors keeping the same dinosaurs in charge, it's going to be a riot to witness.

#14 Posted by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Nintendo will continue to support the Wii U with their first party goodness… Sony will continue to treat the Vita as a indie device with some sub-par Japanese games.

#15 Posted by Zelda187 (717 posts) -

@xscrapzx said:

@Zelda187: The fact that the 3ds isn't doing all that great either. The bottom line is handhelds strictly for gaming are a very very niche market at best and a small one at that. They are no longer competing amongst themselves, they are now competing against the billions of tablets, smartphones, and any other 4-7 inch screen mobile device that does way more than what either one does. Its a stagnate market that is flooded and is now going to slow over the next few years. The days of the 3ds and the vita, in my opinion are pretty much over. Its very hard to sell someone a handheld that does strictly gaming when half the world is trying to limit the amount of crap they have in their pockets as is.

I agree that handhelds are becoming relics, but that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market since the original Gameboy dropped back in '89.

#16 Posted by KBFloYd (13207 posts) -

idk... i wouldnt be surprised if the cancelled both tomorrow.

nintendo have to do an xbox 180 next gen.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (56082 posts) -

Wii U will continue to sell horrible numbers in the background and be generally irrelevant in the scheme of larger things in the industry, but at the same time, it will continue to get some awesome games from Nintendo such as Zelda and Smash. I expect Nintendo will announce a successor for 2016, so that the Wii U can have a four year lifespan, the shortest 'acceptable' lifespan they can have for the console before ditching it entirely. It's sell in the vicinity of 20 million units, but history will look on it kindly, for its amassed collection of great Nintendo exclusives.

The Vita will be supported, if only by Sony (retailers might drop it outside of PS4 bundles, and Sony may just continue selling it via their online store), but its sales will be negligible. Sony itself will make no original big games for it, and its library will be relegated to niche efforts from Japan, and indie games. Most big Vita exclusives, such as Uncharted and Gravity Rush, will inevitably make it over to the PS4 sooner or later, presumably via PSN. There will be no PS Vita successor, and the handheld will be their last one ever. I assume its final sales will be 20-25 million units.

#18 Posted by Telekill (4400 posts) -

After October, unless Walking Dead Season 3 comes to it, the handheld will be dead in my book.

#19 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (530 posts) -

The Wii U will probably end up close to the Gamecube. Around to 20-25 Million in its lifetime.

The Vita is failure at best at this point. Its a fucking Wii U controller rip-off for the PS4 now. I'm shocked Sony themselves are still supporting it!.....Oh wait lol

#20 Posted by farrell2k (5810 posts) -

Realistically, this gen has just started, and the WiiU has plenty of opportunity to move forward, and the console is nowhere near dead. The system will probably sell 20 or 30 million, get a few third party games, and in 5 years from now we'll see a replacement.

The Vita is done. Nintendo won that war already. It's pointless to even discuss it.

#21 Posted by cainetao11 (16913 posts) -

They will get together and produce the VitaU or maybe the Wiita

#22 Posted by drummerdave9099 (653 posts) -

I have a feeling the successor to the WiiU will be super casual focused again.

#23 Posted by KingsofQueens (2176 posts) -

WiiU will continue to struggle all throughout this gen, and probably sell at a pathetic 40 million +

Vita will likely be phased out in 3-4 years. A new successor? They'll probably offer some kind of tablet integrating PSN+ or PSNow into it.

#24 Posted by MBirdy88 (7733 posts) -

They will struggle but have good games / uses ..... if money isn't a problem and your not a whiny little b*tch they are actually both good in different ways.

#25 Edited by Speak_Low (955 posts) -

Funny how all the Sheep are estimating 20-30+ million as the Wii U's lifetime total.

So, somehow, the Wii U is going to possibly pass the N64 numbers, when it can't even beat a single N64 month in sales, and the Wii U is just at 5-6 million sold through now and struggling like hell (even with MK8 out).

(the above graph hasn't been updated. Does it matter?)

When Sheep estimate something, it's better to shave off 30%-40% from that number to get the real final figures. I'm sure at launch they thought the Wii U would be kicking all sorts of PS4/X1 ass and leading, or doing far better than 5-6 million worldwide today. Just keep lowering the lifetime sales number and you'll get there one day.

The Wii U won't even pass 15 million total. Wii U had to bust its ass for almost two years to hopefully get 10 million (if it will even get that by January 2015). SSBU, Zelda U and the remaining games are not enough to make the Wii U add another staggering 15-25 million to the current total, in even less time. Momentum, sales legs and "people tired of PS4/X1 and going to Wii U " are just Sheep dreams. I never see it in the actual sales figures.

#26 Edited by super600 (30320 posts) -

Funny how all the Sheep are estimating 20-30+ million as the Wii U's lifetime total.

So, somehow, the Wii U is going to possibly pass the N64 numbers, when it can't even beat a single N64 month in sales, and the Wii U is just at 5-6 million sold through now and struggling like hell (even with MK8 out).

When Sheep estimate something, it's better to shave off 30%-40% from that number to get the real final figures. I'm sure at launch they thought the Wii U would be kicking all sorts of PS4/X1 ass and leading, or doing far better than 5-6 million worldwide today. Just keep lowering the lifetime sales number and you'll get there one day.

The Wii U won't even pass 15 million total. Wii U had to bust its ass for almost two years to hopefully get 10 million (if it will even get that by January 2015). SSBU, Zelda U and the remaining games are not enough to make the Wii U add another staggering 15-25 million to the current total, in even less time. Momentum, sales legs and "people tired of PS4/X1 and going to Wii U " are just Sheep dreams. I never see it in the actual sales figures.

The WiiU has had a slow start. The monentum of the console has started to change slowly.The Gamecube had a decent start, but started to slow down significantly about 3 years after it launched. There is a chance it will get over 20 million. The WiiU may be a late bloomer in terms of sales.

#27 Posted by Heirren (16572 posts) -

I think the fad party that is up in arms over the ps4 will fade over the course of the gen. The consistent gamer crowd--those that have been playing games for a long while--will branch over to pc, and pick up a wiiu. It baffles me how people are blinded by Sony. The wiiu is the gamers console.

#28 Posted by Bigboi500 (29363 posts) -

Nothing. They will both be around for the entirety of this generation despite all the gloom and doom idiots spew. They will be niche systems that cater to their fanbases.

Bingo.

#29 Edited by lamprey263 (23201 posts) -

they supported the GameCube for 5 years so Wii U still has at least another 3 years left before they come out with something else

Wii U sales have picked up decently, not great but not abysmal like before, Vita sales too were improving until whatever happened that Sony hasn't talked about where they're not supplying them to retailers in greater numbers

I think both Sony and Nintendo will keep them around for a few more years and hope for the best, but it would be bad for them to drop support prematurely

#30 Posted by MirkoS77 (7177 posts) -

@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

The WiiU has had a slow start. The monentum of the console has started to change slowly.The Gamecube had a decent start, but started to slow down significantly about 3 years after it launched. There is a chance it will get over 20 million. The WiiU may be a late bloomer in terms of sales.

Nintendo and momentum don't belong in the same sentence. They're barely incapable of creating it, much less sustaining it, due to a few reasons: long periods between releases and very little marketing. They just let it sit there are expect it to sell. Not really any push behind it, which is strange as the Wii had a very enthusiastic energy from Nintendo during most of its life. It's like with the U, they don't believe in it. Almost an obligatory feeling. I don't know who's in charge of marketing at the big N, but they need to be fired.

#31 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26278 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

What's funny about it?

When the hell have the Vita, PSP, Gamegear, etc ever given a Gameboy or DS a run for their money?

You do realize 3DS is getting it's ass kicked by iOS platforms, right? I don't think they should be considered competition, but Nintendo and several other people do. Last I checked, the audience who bought DS and Wii's jumped ship to mobile, so...

#32 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16880 posts) -

@Heirren said:

I think the fad party that is up in arms over the ps4 will fade over the course of the gen. The consistent gamer crowd--those that have been playing games for a long while--will branch over to pc, and pick up a wiiu. It baffles me how people are blinded by Sony. The wiiu is the gamers console.

Wii U has a few gems, but compared to what Sony and MS are doing, it's pretty weak. Also, multiplats are a huge deal and Nintendo really has nothing on that front.

#33 Edited by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

Doesn't work like that. If the products aren't sustainable, they won't continue to be produced. There is no such thing as a niche video game console anymore, particularly in that these systems require continual online support and maintenance. Major companies like MS, Sony, Nintendo need HITS, they aren't going to waste time on products that don't fulfill their business goals. Rather than support non core products, they will simply stop producing the hardware.

Retailers don't even bother to allocate space for Vita on their shelves. The end has already begun for Vita, Sony isn't supporting it (despite the new "slim" model), retailers aren't supporting it. I think it is inevitable it will be completely gone from the U.S. market within 12-24 months.

Wii-U demise isn't nearly that imminent. But there is no way it's going to last the entirety of the generation (if you mean until like 2020, which is probably where the other consoles will stretch their full support). Wii-U will surely need to be replaced by '17 or '18. If they allow it to go further than that, it will end up far worse for them then the end of the Wii's life (I think the crash at the end of the Wii was a momentum killer that carried into the Wii-U). The Wii-U is already a failed product for them, so I'm sure they are already planning heavily for their next steps. The very survival of the company is at stake again.

#34 Posted by Aljosa23 (24756 posts) -

Vita is already dead but Wii U will stick around for at least 3 more years and is just now hitting its stride.

#35 Posted by farrell2k (5810 posts) -

WiiU will continue to struggle all throughout this gen, and probably sell at a pathetic 40 million +

Considering that it's been almost two years and Nintendo has sold only about 7 million, I am sure they are hoping that they sell 40. That would be a huge success for them, but I suspect the number will be closer to 25 million.

#36 Posted by Legend002 (7029 posts) -

Wii U will be alright at least until 2016.

Vita is a dead hardware.

#37 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

an

@Heirren said:

Wii U has a few gems, but compared to what Sony and MS are doing, it's pretty weak. Also, multiplats are a huge deal and Nintendo really has nothing on that front.

The 3rd party has been the real deal-killer for Nintendo for awhile. Even with the Wii selling like gangbusters, 3rd parties gave it far less support than the others due to such a low attach rate. Although the Wii at least had it's fair share of interesting "niche" 3rd party games to make up for it's lack of major multiplats. The Wii-U doesn't even have that angle.

It's interesting that the previous poster even has to bring up PC, and then the Wii-U as a companion console. That's ultimately what the Wii-U is ideal for, a "companion" console. But the reality of the market is most people in the world aren't PC gamers in the hardcore sense. They are looking for consoles to deliver the AAA experience, and might only play indie games on PC, IPAD or phone. If people are looking for just one primary "do it all" console, the Wii-U is basically a fail. I think Nintendo had the right idea to try and bring in 3rd parties at the very beginning, but actually keeping them is a very difficult thing to do unless people actually buy the games.

#38 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6990 posts) -

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to attract the kind of gamer who would purchase third party games on one of their consoles unless they create a media machine like the Playstation or Xbox. Personally, I have no use for another media machine or 3rd party games on consoles, but it would probably be in Nintendo's best interest to go that route. I just hope they never do.

#39 Posted by LustForSoul (5844 posts) -

Sony is not going to let the Vita go, that's an extreme. They might make newer ones that are cheaper, like the one with a cheaper screen on it. Do you have any idea how bad of a rep they'd get if they just drop a product that has sold millions?

#40 Posted by krizalidzero (20 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: I think you're kinda right, yet not. It's not the lack of media-ness that hurts the Wii U, it's the lack of gaming power. Anyway, all of this in the Hardcore market, then for the casuals, their biggest mistake was to name it Wii again (yeah, you can't even see the U unless you know beforehand).

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I have no thoughts on either. I have no desire to own either and never think about them at all until I come to these forums and see a thread/post about one and/or the other.

#42 Posted by Zelda187 (717 posts) -

I'm not sure why people even assume that the Wii U will sell as much as the Gamecube.

There are a shitload of people out there who don't even know that a new Nintendo console exists.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6990 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: I think you're kinda right, yet not. It's not the lack of media-ness that hurts the Wii U, it's the lack of gaming power. Anyway, all of this in the Hardcore market, then for the casuals, their biggest mistake was to name it Wii again (yeah, you can't even see the U unless you know beforehand).

I think most of the 3rd party console sales go to people who only own 1 console, and it makes sense why the media features would be a sticking point to them. I think you are correct that the console should be on par power-wise with the competition as well. It needs to do both, really. Just look at the Gamecube for evidence. Tons of power, no media features, no mass sales.

#44 Posted by parkurtommo (26515 posts) -

@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

It certainly won't be "booming" at any point.

#45 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22424 posts) -

Nintendo will ride out the wii u for atleast 2 -3 more years to build up goodwill with it's fans and Sony will continue to sweep the vita under the rug like it never happened

#46 Posted by super600 (30320 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

Nintendo and momentum don't belong in the same sentence. They're barely incapable of creating it, much less sustaining it, due to a few reasons: long periods between releases and very little marketing. They just let it sit there are expect it to sell. Not really any push behind it, which is strange as the Wii had a very enthusiastic energy from Nintendo during most of its life. It's like with the U, they don't believe in it. Almost an obligatory feeling. I don't know who's in charge of marketing at the big N, but they need to be fired.

Nintendo has a good chance of selling 5+ million next year if they play their cards right since a lot more games can be spread out throughout the year next year.Even though they really need to market the console more I think they are slowly showing people why they need to buy the console. The gamecube peaked in it's second year on the market from what I recall.

#47 Edited by xscrapzx (6394 posts) -

@Zelda187: Never denied that aspect of it. I'm just simply pointing out that they have a lot more competition to deal with. I just think their time in the handheld market is up as well as sony's is with the Vita. The one thing that Sony has that Nintendo does not is a Smart Phone division, which could be the saving grace for any future Vita like device. I know this is off the subject, but this is why MS went the route or planned to go the route they did with the XBOX One and introducing all those other entertainment options, because without them its very hard to sell a $400 dollar device that just games. When people can go and get a PC or a similar device for cheaper or at the same price that is multifunctional, its sways people from spending the money on a console. This is what is now happening with the gaming handhelds, they are pricing themselves out of the market and market that is flooded at that.

#48 Posted by Zelda187 (717 posts) -

@xscrapzx said:

@Zelda187: Never denied that aspect of it. I'm just simply pointing out that they have a lot more competition to deal with. I just think their time in the handheld market is up as well as sony's is with the Vita. The one thing that Sony has that Nintendo does not is a Smart Phone division, which could be the saving grace for any future Vita like device. I know this is off the subject, but this is why MS went the route or planned to go the route they did with the XBOX One and introducing all those other entertainment options, because without them its very hard to sell a $400 dollar device that just games. When people can go and get a PC or a similar device for cheaper or at the same price that is multifunctional, its sways people from spending the money on a console. This is what is now happening with the gaming handhelds, they are pricing themselves out of the market and market that is flooded at that.

I agree with everything except this.

The PS4 didn't roll out a bunch of gimmicky features. Sony made it clear from Day 1 that their primary focus was gaming first and foremost with the PS4.

And what's happened? The PS4 is outselling the XBone by a 3-to-1 margin.

#49 Posted by xscrapzx (6394 posts) -

@Zelda187: I hate to break it to you, but Sony is only successful right now because of MS fumbling. Had Sony taken the same approach and trying to introduce all these other features, both would have been even , or depending on said features and who offered more would be in the lead. Had MS not looked like fools and shut down their PR department for the first 6 months of 2013 the race might be a little more closer than what it is currently. With that being said, really what you pointed out has nothing really to do with my major point. The numbers you see right now of consoles that are sold for both MS and Sony is most likely your hardcore audience, its getting the other 120+ million to jump from the 360 and PS3. Sure my numbers are probably really off and there are probably plenty of everyday gamers who haven't moved to the next gen for whatever reason, but there are probably a big number of people who also purchased a console because of the sloth of features that are on the console other than gaming. The problem you have now is almost every device you own can practically run netflix and every other app in existence. They are no longer just competing amongst themselves, they are competing against a much larger and broader market as everything is getting consolidated.

#50 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

Hopefully a long and prosperous life....