What do you think of the Metro series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I have only seen Metro 2033 and Metro LL for a few minuties on my friends gaming pc with the purpose to check out the visuals. I never really got to sit down and play the game for long . So once I heard the Metro Redux was coming out I decided to pick up the game on the PS4 since I never actually owned the other titles. These games seem to be highly regarded especially among pc gamers and I am curious to know why? Ive been playing the game for several hours( Although I have yet to really play Metro LL). But so far I am terribly disappointed with pretty much all aspects of the game. The issues I have with the game are not platform specific so I thought id give my impressions so far.

Visually the game features nice textures and lighting and runs without a hitch but its held back by horrible animations and terribly low poly character models. Its amazing to me they decided to to focus on 60fps when the HUD is so dam ugly you cant see half of whats going on most the time. Also the 60fps does nothing for the god awful animations which looked like it was taken from a claymation film from the 80s.

The pacing is terrible. You basically walk into a town talk to people, look at a load screen shoot the same monsters over and over again( i think ive seen a total of four) and rince and repeat. I cant believe the amount of load screens you have to go through as the world is not seemless at all. This is surprising since the world is terribly Linear and its like you are penalized for exploring by having to keep up with your air filters. It basically makes each staged timed.

So is Metro LL any better? And what are your thoughts on the series?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Its not a bro average whack-a-mole shooter. So, take away that mindset and replay the game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

flashlight recharge simulator.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The Metro franchise is alright. It's decent, not mind-blowing, but a good game series.

For those that never played the two Metro games, they are in the metascoring 77-82, lower AA range:

77/100 Metro 2033

80/100 Metro: Last Light

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I think Metro is better than any console exclusive FPS series I have played. Its not the best FPS series, but its good.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's definitely worth a play-through... It's not like most shooters like COD etc, which is a good thing.

There are some great moments in the games too I think. Last Light is the better game IMO.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If you like the STALKER series or like post apocalyptic games then you'll know why people like the Metro games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think it's absolutely amazing.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Metro is the best goddamn fps to have ever graced this earth.

And Metro LL is... more polished than the first one, pace-wise (because they are both effectively the same with the redux). I think the first one has a stronger atmosphere though. LL has more variety, it's more linear, and smoother.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@bldgirsh: I'm not really into the bro shooters, I actually enjoy the atmosphere it just has some fundamental gameplay problems.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@bldgirsh: I'm not really into the bro shooters, I actually enjoy the atmosphere it just has some fundamental gameplay problems.

The only "fundamental" problem with Metro's gameplay is the ridiculous stealth. BUT. Criticizing something like that is a lot like criticizing Mario because you can get rid of your enemies by jumping on their heads. It's a video game mechanic.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

is not a bro shooter so you are doing it wrong, is based on a series of books so they put focus on the state of the people, their lives in the metro and paranormal phenomena, i enjoyed it because it was highly atmospheric but you won't be shooting wave after wave of monsters.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

meh, they're alright.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

They're pretty rough around their edges but a lot of untapped potential seeps through the cracks and makes the experences something special, when compared to most shooters.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i got to play last light through ps+, it was oookay. absolutely nothing mind blowing and surprisingly very linear. i lost interest and quit playing but i plan on giving it another shot sometime in the near future.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

They´re good,somewhat of a linear version of STALKER but not as great.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

me love me some shooters