What do you expect from the next Nintendo handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

It probably doesn't feel like it, but the 3DS will be three years old in a couple of months (and four years since its original announcement). By 2015 or 2016, we can expect them to announce a new handheld (based on traditional product life cycles, as well as changing expectations and rapidly evolving mobile tech). What do you think their new handheld will be like?

Personally, I think they learned their lesson with the 3DS (and Wii U): they cannot sell 'premium' products. The market rejects a premium handheld. Their next handheld needs to go back to the basics, a cheap, capable, sturdy handheld with great battery life. The 2DS might be an indication of where they plan on going.

But what do you see the next handheld being like? The GBA got us the clamshell/backlight/rechargeable battery, the DS got us two screens, a microphone, Wi-fi, and a camera, the 3DS got us 3D.

What will the hook of the next handheld be? A regular Nintendo handheld, no gimmicks, but HD screen? Or will it double as a smartphone/tablet? Will it be the fabled Nintendo hybrid?

What do you expect the next Nintendo handheld to be like?

#2 Edited by DocSanchez (1102 posts) -

I predicted the 3DS completely wrong, so the lesson is, whatever they release, it has a solid fanbase which will propel it to big things.

I suggested the smartphone and tablet market may affect sales greatly but never underestimate the handheld market.

As for what form it will take, no idea. Where can they go?

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

I predicted the 3DS completely wrong, so the lesson is, whatever they release, it has a solid fanbase which will propel it to big things.

I suggested the smartphone and tablet market may affect sales greatly but never underestimate the handheld market.

As for what form it will take, no idea. Where can they go?

Honestly, I see them going back to the basics. Basically imagine them releasing the PS Vita, but in 2016. Might have one inevitable gimmick (I predict TV streaming), but that's about it.

#4 Posted by drekula2 (1653 posts) -

- HD resolution

- Wii equivalent specs

- Able to message friends and video chat with them

- Third party apps and indie dev tool kits

- Wii-U (and its successor) crossplay

- And a strong launch title

#5 Edited by DocSanchez (1102 posts) -

@charizard1605: They might just come up with their own tablet device. And that's not me being snarky, they might think of diversifying.

#6 Posted by Kiro0 (1164 posts) -

Another gimmick, another Pokemon, and absurd sales.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605: They might just come up with their own tablet device. And that's not me being snarky, they might think of diversifying.

Yeah, I've figured they might do that before too. But then they would inevitably be caught up in a hardware war of razor thin margins, an OS that they do not control (unless they fork it like Amazon), and repeated iterations (basically a new product expected every year), with possibly not enough revenue from software to back it up (premium priced software on tablets wouldn't sell as much).

I don't know, traditional handhelds still have a place. I assume they will have at least one more generation, before they switch tack.

@drekula2 said:

- HD resolution

- Wii equivalent specs

- Able to message friends and video chat with them

- Third party apps and indie dev tool kits

- Wii-U (and its successor) crossplay

- And a strong launch title

- agreed

- 3DS already does this, we're looking at something Vita level for the next time

- Yep

- Yeah

- Assuming there is a Wii U successor, sure

- Definitely

#8 Posted by babycakin (1400 posts) -

So we had DS, then 3DS so now its time for HD3DS or HDS? lol

#9 Posted by Zassimick (5987 posts) -

I expect great games and furthering tech. I don't think they'll shy away from two screens but they'll further the idea in some way.

#10 Posted by AznbkdX (2922 posts) -

I see them doing virtual reality or some shit.

#11 Posted by Desmonic (10336 posts) -

A decent screen first and foremost. It's a crime watching any CGI cutscene on that screen... Either a decent LCD or if the prices come down, an OLED like the OG Vita.

Also two analogs/sticks. Other than that I wouldn't change much.. maybe more power? That doesn't necessarily translate to better games (though Vita is starting to finally show it can).

Still a decent screen and less jaggies in full 3D games would already go a looooong way IMO :P

#12 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1130 posts) -

Simple: Nintendo TS (tri-screen)

or maybe Nintendo HDTS.

#13 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Depends on who's in charge. Right now they would probably just make another DS with Vita specs. They could however make a cheap tablet that plays Nintendo games though, but it has to be portable enough for the Japanese to take on their bus/train rides to work/school, thats critical.

#14 Posted by NFJSupreme (4539 posts) -

If their next handheld isn't a straight up cell phone I'm not interested.

#15 Edited by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Nintendo puts the power of the Wii U into a device that looks like the 3DS (but with dual analogs, and all that other witchcraft)

And then Nintendo allows the new handheld to dock into the HDMI-in port on the back of the TVs, and the Wii U Pad can connect wirelessly to the device.

That way you can access the entirety of Nintendo's library on one device that serves as a portable when you want it to, and a home console when you want it to.

And thus the greatest handheld/console gets created.

#16 Posted by Super_King_Fly (50 posts) -

Before the next gen handhand they will make the 1DS.

then they should make a new GB SP

#17 Edited by AznbkdX (2922 posts) -

Seriously though I'm expecting it to be multi-purpose. Everything has just about everything nowadays, so I fully expect phone usage, a movie player and gaming handheld all in one. Things have gotten cheaper over the years so I don't see them skimping too much on those features, but do expect them to add their "Nintendo magic" to it which will gimp the device or add pointless additions to it. These things will give it an identity for sure which is good for the crowd and should be fun every once in a while, but I have a feeling that these additions would be inefficient or underutilized.

#18 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

Nintendo HDS

#19 Edited by bbkkristian (14305 posts) -

Superior exclusives like all previous handhelds before it.

#20 Posted by kazrium (1542 posts) -

I expect greatness, nothing less from Nintendo.

#21 Edited by lamprey263 (21022 posts) -

hopefully it'll play DS and 3DS games, that should make the transition smoother

#22 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

If their next handheld isn't a straight up cell phone I'm not interested.

I hope you are never interested in a Nintendo handheld

#23 Posted by GreySeal9 (23255 posts) -

I expect it to dominate. If Sony decides to make another handheld, I fully expect Sony fans to once again foolishly claim that it beat the next Nintendo handheld because of its superior hardware, and then get owned when Nintendo once again cleans house.

I hope the next Nintendo handheld has a decent launch line up tho. The 3DS launch line up was pretty embarrassing in spite of the handheld presently being an absolute beast.

#24 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4336 posts) -

With the way the console market has treated them. Thinking a Console/Handheld hybrid and even including a regular controller for tv play.

#25 Edited by SolidTy (40376 posts) -

I have little to no expectations, the next Nintendo handheld will release and it will get 1st party games on it that I'll play. Probably two analog sticks shipping on the machine would be an expectation, along with PS360 type graphics (close enough), and low cost.

I put the vast majority of my expectations on home consoles though, because I hook those home consoles up to many other expensive components. The handhelds travel with me and provide me a distraction when I'm at the airport, hotel room, train, plane, or dentist's office.

#26 Posted by _Matt_ (8334 posts) -

Hmm, so long as it's got a nice screen (should be 720 at this point), 2 analogs, and at least as much power as the Vita; then I would probably be interested.

#27 Edited by Joedgabe (4987 posts) -

Just games, which they are delivering, but what more can one ask for after that from a handheld.? I do wish to see some titles back on the system that were on the DS. But that's more up to the developers not nintendo.

#28 Posted by EZs (1309 posts) -

I expect triple screen.

#29 Edited by finalstar2007 (24170 posts) -

All i want is for them to make a normal handheld for once.. please just once ever Nintendo i want you to make a normal handheld and that means no two screens sh*t, no 3D sh*t, fast software and good UI, big normal sized screen ( same size as the Vita's would be perfect ) screen, internal mic, internal HDD, a good friends list without the friends code sh*t.

please Nintendo start making good hardware! invest just a little more!

#31 Edited by ShadowDoubt (32 posts) -
@EZs said:

I expect triple screen.

The 3DS U, it will come packaged with a 3rd tablet like device, smaller than the Wii U tablet, that functions as another controller so that two people can play games on 1 3DS U.

All i want is for them to make a normal handheld for once.. please just once ever Nintendo i want you to make a normal handheld and that means no two screens sh*t, no 3D sh*t, fast software and good UI, big normal sized screen ( same size as the Vita's would be perfect ) screen, internal mic, internal HDD, a good friends list without the friends code sh*t.

I totally agree; a new age gameboy would be amazing.

#32 Edited by voljin1987 (621 posts) -

Xenoblade chronicles HD port on lauch.. well, who am I kidding.. it will prolly have new super mario 3d world for launch (not a bad thing)

#33 Posted by blaaksheep (135 posts) -

I Imagine High definition will be the draw. the big question is will they Drop the 3D ??

'Nintendo HDS' sounds about right

#34 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

No O-LED No buy.

#35 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (23658 posts) -

Bigger Screen and 2nd Analog and Vita like Graphics I guess.

#36 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5698 posts) -

Their next handheld should be a Wii U controller than can function independently of the Wii U.

#37 Posted by Aparthide (235 posts) -

@charizard1605: The 3DS has Wii specs? Wth. Sometimes you say the most ridiculous stuff. It's not even that difficult to compare them thanks to DK. DK on the Wii requires 4x more power than the one on the 3DS.

#38 Posted by Raptor_Herc (104 posts) -

Hopefully they'll come up with a new name that will clearly indicate that it is not mistaken for being just another DS with (insert gimmick here) tacked on.

It will have roughly Wii U graphics, ditch two screens for one and make it multi-touch (but perhaps include a capacitive stylus to preserve 3DS backwards compatibility).

Software-wise, it will just have a Nintendo ID and hopefully have an account-based ID. It might even have a good web browser ^^.

#39 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (23658 posts) -

@charizard1605: The 3DS has Wii specs? Wth. Sometimes you say the most ridiculous stuff. It's not even that difficult to compare them thanks to DK. DK on the Wii requires 4x more power than the one on the 3DS.

Uh, okay. But the games still look similar to it's Console counter part.

#40 Posted by gameofthering (9633 posts) -

I like the 2 screens. Mostly because of inventory management + one screen can be a map.

#41 Posted by XboxDone74 (1739 posts) -

Hopefully it will be more like the Vita. Better hardware. Apps and functioning online. Better games.

#42 Posted by MonsieurX (26946 posts) -

Hopefully it will be more like the Vita. Better hardware. Apps and functioning online. Better games.

I lol'd first,then I cringed

#43 Edited by XboxDone74 (1739 posts) -
#44 Edited by MonsieurX (26946 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I lol'd first,then I cringed

Someone's in denial,poor fanboy.

Besides P4G and Gravity Rush,you don't have much left

#45 Posted by PonchoTaco (1661 posts) -

More screens.

#46 Posted by Animal-Mother (25032 posts) -

It'll just be a more powerful 3DS without the 3D

#47 Posted by DarkGamer007 (5995 posts) -

I think after this generation Nintendo is going to attempt to merge their home consoles and portable devices into one single unit. Think the Wii-U controller but as it's own standalone device, with the functionality of gaming oriented tablet.

Also similar to this:

A device that would have removable controls so it could function like a normal tablet for multimedia purposes such as watching Netflix or reading e-Books, and then connected to a controller for gaming at home or on the go.

#48 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5698 posts) -

I think after this generation Nintendo is going to attempt to merge their home consoles and portable devices into one single unit. Think the Wii-U controller but as it's own standalone device, with the functionality of gaming oriented tablet.

Also similar to this:

A device that would have removable controls so it could function like a normal tablet for multimedia purposes such as watching Netflix or reading e-Books, and then connected to a controller for gaming at home or on the go.

I agree, and I really hope that they make it completely compatible with the Wii U. That way you can play your handheld/console games in HD on your tv if you have a Wii U or you can play them in sub-HD on your handheld device. You would also be able to use it as a second tablet controller for local multiplayer, and it would create a way for Nintendo to save the Wii U if things don't pick up.