what do you call hardcore gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tacomh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tacomh
Member since 2003 • 1847 Posts

I see threads all the time about people saying the Wii is for casuals and doesnt appeal to the hardcore gamer. My question to you is, who do you describe to be a hardcore gamer?  In my opinion a hardcore gamer is somebody that plays games every chance they get, and masters them to the point they can play them blindfolded. Whether its getting 250 plus lines in Tetris all day or getting headshots with the longshot in  GeOW, it doesnt matter which genre, or whether the game has an "E" or "M" rating.

Dr_Evil_PhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dr_Evil_PhD
Member since 2006 • 1507 Posts
hardcore gamers are gamers that get all of the systems.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

I see threads all the time about people saying the Wii is for casuals and doesnt appeal to the hardcore gamer. My question to you is, who do you describe to be a hardcore gamer?  In my opinion a hardcore gamer is somebody that plays games every chance they get, and masters them to the point they can play them blindfolded. Whether its getting 250 plus lines in Tetris all day or getting headshots with the longshot in  GeOW, it doesnt matter which genre, or whether the game has an "E" or "M" rating.

tacomh
I agree.... so, uh.... what do we do now? Got any pop?
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
hardcore gamers are gamers that get all of the systems.Dr_Evil_PhD
I think that that would be rich hardcore gamers. A poor hardcore gamer is not less hardcore due to finances.
edeasknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edeasknight
Member since 2004 • 1222 Posts
hardcore gamers are those too busy playing games to post on fanboy forums
Dr_Evil_PhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dr_Evil_PhD
Member since 2006 • 1507 Posts

[QUOTE="Dr_Evil_PhD"]hardcore gamers are gamers that get all of the systems.dsmccracken
I think that that would be rich hardcore gamers. A poor hardcore gamer is not less hardcore due to finances.

you don't believe that people can raise $1250 in five years? (not including price drops). it's not impossible to have all three systems by the end of the their life cycle.

gamer4life85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamer4life85
Member since 2003 • 1203 Posts

You don't have to own all the systems to be hardcore. A hardcore gamer tends to follow the gaming business and spends most of hers/his time playing games.

liljon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 liljon546
Member since 2005 • 2301 Posts
A Hardcore Gamer is someone with no life, and plays video games all day.
dr-venkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dr-venkman
Member since 2006 • 1561 Posts
I play video games about three to four hours a day. Depending on the game, I'll play for more. I own a 360, a Wii, and I just recently bought a PS3. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer, more like someone who just doesn't have a life right now. I got addicted when Mario 3 was breaking all the records. I think a hardcore gamer is someone who plays for competition. Someone who would rather play online against unknown people and have their record/stats posted online so they can see who's in the lead. Ofcourse some people would say that when you start to think of real life as a video game then you're probably hardcore. Which is what happend to me after I played Oblivion for 32 hours in the first two days of release. I stopped playing to open a letter, and I had my Swiss Army knife in my hand. The first thing i thought about was "is my knife skill high enough to rip through the letter." I then realized I had been playing way too long!
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

You guys are silly. the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who buys more than like 10 games a year. A casual gamer is someone who buys less than that. It has nothing to do with how many hours you play a day, or what type of games you play. Thats it, nothing more to it. Its about how many games you PURCHASE.

The definition was created from a business perspective....because although hardcore gamers buy more games, they arent alot of hardcore gamers in comparison to the amount of casual gamers out there, which is why most gaming businesses are trying to appeal to casual gamers. Businesses want to turn all the casual gamers into hardcore gamers though.

Now, there does seem to be a correlation between the types of games that their respective gamers purchase.....

Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts

You guys are silly. the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who buys more than like 10 games a year. A casual gamer is someone who buys less than that. It has nothing to do with how many hours you play a day, or what type of games you play. Thats it, nothing more to it. Its about how many games you PURCHASE.

The definition was created from a business perspective....because although hardcore gamers buy more games, they arent alot of hardcore gamers in comparison to the amount of casual gamers out there, which is why most gaming businesses are trying to appeal to casual gamers. Businesses want to turn all the casual gamers into hardcore gamers though.

Now, there does seem to be a correlation between the types of games that their respective gamers purchase.....

out0v0rder

So it depends on who you ask??

Like to a game company "hardcore gamer" means "superconsumer" or "Big fat wallet"

Where as to someone "into" games it means "prefers Deus Ex to The Sims"

honestAB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 honestAB3
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
A Hardcore Gamer is someone with no life, and plays video games all day.liljon546
Playing games would be their life...
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
[QUOTE="out0v0rder"]

Tony_aaaa
So it depends on who you ask?? Like to a game company "hardcore gamer" means "superconsumer" or "Big fat wallet" Where as to someone "into" games it means "prefers Dues Ex to The Sims"

apparently, the terms were created by businesses though.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

[QUOTE="dsmccracken"][QUOTE="Dr_Evil_PhD"]hardcore gamers are gamers that get all of the systems.Dr_Evil_PhD

you don't believe that people can raise $1250 in five years? (not including price drops). it's not impossible to have all three systems by the end of the their life cycle.

Yea cause we all know games are free:roll:

I'd rather buy games than systems.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

You guys are silly. the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who buys more than like 10 games a year. A casual gamer is someone who buys less than that. It has nothing to do with how many hours you play a day, or what type of games you play. Thats it, nothing more to it. Its about how many games you PURCHASE.

The definition was created from a business perspective....because although hardcore gamers buy more games, they arent alot of hardcore gamers in comparison to the amount of casual gamers out there, which is why most gaming businesses are trying to appeal to casual gamers. Businesses want to turn all the casual gamers into hardcore gamers though.

out0v0rder

that post is too smart for system wars the mods are going to make you remove it. :lol:
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts
A hardcore gamer is someone who's stuck to the chair when they try to stand up when (if?) they're done playing
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
A hardcore gamer is someone who completes games rather than just beating them.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Someone who is respectful to all systems, no matter what.
mofaxfosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mofaxfosho
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
Hardcore gamers..like games..a lot.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts

tacomh
According to CNN Health studies about World of Warcraft, If you make gaming a lifestyle, then you are a hardcore. If it's just for entertainment and group activity, it's a casual.
Sumotaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sumotaii
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts
Hardcore gamer = Someone who has Neo Geo Aes with all the Metal Slugs on that hahahaha. And people who know Final Fantasy 7 on PSONE Sucks.