What do xbox owners really get with MS announcing TR?

• 78 results
#1 Edited by Midnightshade29 (5336 posts) -

Really now, think about this for a second. An xb1 owner is watching that conference expecting new game announcements, new ips and all that, and MS announces that a multiplatform game that was announced 2 months ago that is synonymous with the competition will be exclusive in 2015 holiday for xbox..

The game was already announced for xbox 2 months ago... what do xbox fans get. Why should they even be happy over this? To gloat? They didn't get a new game at all.

This is the difference between MS, sony and nintendo.... MS takes games away, while Sony and Nintendo add to the industry. Shady practices for a shady company...nothing more.

Now if this wasn't announced a month ago and MS was publishing this to help fund the game being made, then sure that would be fine...but just doing this to deny PC and PS4 gamers.. how does that help the xbox gamers? It doesn't....and anyone there that cheered for that is a moron. All this does is show that MS doesn't have a creative bone and would rather moneyhat then fund new ips.

So answer me this...what does the average non system wars xbox owner get from this? It's a game they already knew they were going to be able to buy == nothing new.

#2 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10592 posts) -

TR is Tomb Raider? I don't play those types of games (action adventure platformers), so I don't care about it at all.

#3 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1215 posts) -

They get a B class Uncharted and the ability to throw it in Pplaystaton fans faces for a bit.

I don't even think they care about having it as an exclusive...they just care they can finally throw something in "our" faces and go "HAHAHAHAH".

Sun shines on a dogs ass at some point.

#4 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

I'll repost my take from another thread:

Now that MS's careful statements have shown exactly what they paid for I'm honestly surprised the XBox fans aren't upset.

Every platform has a budget, and Spencer chose to spend a chunk of his not on improving his own platform by adding a game, expansion, dlc, or even a desired console feature, but on slowing the release of a game on other platforms. Does this make life better for his customers? Nope. Will it convince many to buy an XBone? Nope, and even less likely to help since it's still coming to 360 at the same time.

So he just blew a wad of cash to pretend his platform has something unique for a few weeks. And to even get THAT much out of it he has to spend the next year and a half trying to avoid questions or answering them with BS PR speak that everyone has by now learned to decipher. That sounds miserable. Just about the biggest waste of resources I can think of.

I've made no secret that I think Spencer has done a fantastic job bringing XBox back to respectability and far faster than I thought possible. But this is a move with no winners, one I doubt even he could defend if pinned down on the matter.

#5 Posted by sailor232 (4808 posts) -

I guess I'm a moron. Good move by Microsoft, a lot of angry people, so much fun to watch.

#6 Edited by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

A game with a vomit-inducing, shaky-assed camera system.

#7 Posted by vashkey (33749 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

They get a B class Uncharted and the ability to throw it in Pplaystaton fans faces for a bit.

I don't even think they care about having it as an exclusive...they just care they can finally throw something in "our" faces and go "HAHAHAHAH".

Sun shines on a dogs ass at some point.

It's saying that you even identify yourself as a fanboy, really

#8 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Nothing but a B class Uncharted that they would of gotten anyway, except they now can throw it in PS4 owners faces until the time on the exclusivity runs out.

#9 Edited by farrell2k (6328 posts) -

Lara croft is a relic of the 90s. The series has outlived its desire, so it doesn't really matter.

#10 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3283 posts) -

Cows have so much to be happy for with the PS4. Why are you all getting so bent out of shape over Tomb Raider? It will be a timed exclusive anyways. Calm down and go play your 1080p's

#11 Posted by TheRealBigRich (734 posts) -

Do you think that having this as a exclusive for at least a little while wont sell 1 extra Xbox one? I just don't get the it wont help sell consoles bit maybe not millions but every little bit helps in my opinion .

#12 Posted by intotheminx (703 posts) -

Xbox fans get absolutely nothing, but MS might get some new customers. Will it be a significant amount? Probably not.

#13 Posted by cainetao11 (17699 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

Really now, think about this for a second. An xb1 owner is watching that conference expecting new game announcements, new ips and all that, and MS announces that a multiplatform game that was announced 2 months ago that is synonymous with the competition will be exclusive in 2015 holiday for xbox..

The game was already announced for xbox 2 months ago... what do xbox fans get. Why should they even be happy over this? To gloat? They didn't get a new game at all.

This is the difference between MS, sony and nintendo.... MS takes games away, while Sony and Nintendo add to the industry. Shady practices for a shady company...nothing more.

Now if this wasn't announced a month ago and MS was publishing this to help fund the game being made, then sure that would be fine...but just doing this to deny PC and PS4 gamers.. how does that help the xbox gamers? It doesn't....and anyone there that cheered for that is a moron. All this does is show that MS doesn't have a creative bone and would rather moneyhat then fund new ips.

So answer me this...what does the average non system wars xbox owner get from this? It's a game they already knew they were going to be able to buy == nothing new.

Wonderful OP's that scream of butthurt, is what everyone is getting.

#14 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5083 posts) -

They get to pretend they've won for a bit while ignoring the fact they have no new games.

#15 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5336 posts) -

@TheRealBigRich said:

Do you think that having this as a exclusive for at least a little while wont sell 1 extra Xbox one? I just don't get the it wont help sell consoles bit maybe not millions but every little bit helps in my opinion .

Why should your average xbox owner be happy about ms making more cash? Does it go into their pocket? This isn't a new game announced. This is a game that was already announced multiplat...but denied....only people that would be thrilled are system fanboys, and MS employees.

#16 Posted by monson21502 (8070 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

its better then a rip off TR clone on roller skates that almost dies every other step he takes but u cant really die with a story that gets worse and worse with each new game in the serries. sony needs to give uncharted a rest imo but thats all sony does is rehash games or rip off from other games and add shinny graphics .like their next game blood borne. they shoulda just do a remaster of demon souls or dark souls they are all pretty much the same thing

#17 Posted by lostrib (37552 posts) -

Well if they're non system warriors, they probably aren't those talking about it. So I doubt they care that much.

#18 Edited by lglz1337 (3853 posts) -

"This is the difference between MS, sony and nintendo.... MS takes games away, while Sony and Nintendo add to the industry. Shady practices for a shady company...nothing more."

all that has to be said!

/thread

#19 Posted by lostrib (37552 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

"This is the difference between MS, sony and nintendo.... MS takes games away, while Sony and Nintendo add to the industry. Shady practices for a shady company...nothing more."

all that has to be said!

shady company....hmmm kind of like a company that would install rootkits on users computers?

#20 Posted by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

TR is Tomb Raider? I don't play those types of games (action adventure platformers), so I don't care about it at all.

"It doesn't effect me, go screw yourself" Good one.

#21 Posted by lglz1337 (3853 posts) -

@lostrib: going back wayyyyy back in time i see, company's learn from their mistake MS obviously not !

and this is a huge mistake for both this game will not be a system seller and will be a huge sales flop!

#22 Posted by wis3boi (31458 posts) -

they get nothing, because they would have had it regardless. Everyone else loses

#23 Posted by lostrib (37552 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@lostrib: going back wayyyyy back in time i see, company's learn from their mistake MS obviously not !

and this is a huge mistake for both this game will not be a system seller and will be a huge sales flop!

well once you hit them with a class action lawsuit or two.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13607 posts) -

Haha ! I love when things turn to sh!it, makes people sit up and take notice, remember The DRM thing ? That was awesome.

#25 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3592 posts) -

Tomb Raider is great series . Even Uncharted was inspired by it .

#26 Posted by RR360DD (11979 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

"Why should they even be happy over this? To gloat?"

Of course.

Don't be a little bitch about it. Man up. Its system wars. Your whole post is a boat load of damage control. Its pathetic.

#27 Posted by Ribnarak (2298 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Midnightshade29 said:

i can't even sense the op's butthurt though. what he's saying is true though. Why go out of your way to make a game exclusive (which was a multiplatform). Can MS not make NEW ips?

(ps i don't play TR, but it definitely does seem like a good game).

#29 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

I could give a rats ass about shitty consoles, but this is SW gold. Keep it coming.

#30 Edited by SolidTy (43693 posts) -

They get the same TR game they were going to get on Holiday 2015 for 360 and Xbone, but now they have the special insight in knowing the other machines can't play that game until later.

Basically, they get the knowledge that the Xbox company once again spent money, not on new IPs and games, but on securing a game that was already coming to Xbox and ensuring that same game would be shelved on other platforms.

I'm an Xbone owner and I think this is a raw deal. I'm not even a Tomb Raider fan, but if I was I would buy this game on my 360 or Xbone next Holiday. This deal wouldn't change that.

This deal is to sell Xbones, but it doesn't reward loyal early Xbone buyers.

#32 Edited by littlestreakier (2930 posts) -

They get cows tears I guess. Personally I think MS needs to start investing money on new IPs and stop the timed exclusives.

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (17699 posts) -

@Ribnarak said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Midnightshade29 said:

i can't even sense the op's butthurt though. what he's saying is true though. Why go out of your way to make a game exclusive (which was a multiplatform). Can MS not make NEW ips?

(ps i don't play TR, but it definitely does seem like a good game).

I cant see how they went out of their way? The cut a check, or agreed to market it. Hardly out of their way. Also Scalebound and Phantom Dust are a new IP, and bringing back an old IP of theirs. They are doing that. As far as how does it help Xbox gamers? Is that all a company is supposed to try to do? They cant have any focus on grabbing new gamers?

Do I believe Rise of the Tomb Raider is a system seller? No. But I am not a market analyst on their payroll. Those people must think it will to some degree. Yes I already own the console, so this is nothing new to me. But neither is Arkham Knight, or the Witcher 3. I can play all of them. But out of 7 billion people on the planet, there isn't more than one that hadn't made the jump to this gen that loves TR and this is the push they need to decide on which console?

#34 Posted by SecretPolice (22219 posts) -

@littlestreakier said:

They get cows tears I guess. Personally I think MS needs to start investing money on new IPs and stop the timed exclusives.

Your first part is not only true but funny as well. The second part, whelp coincidently, at the show they showed a new IP that looks like a blast.. Scream Ride not to mention the others like Spark, Scalebound amongst others. :P

#35 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5083 posts) -

They get a sequel to a mediocre game that financially flopped despite 70 E3 best of show awards featuring a new and edgy Lara Croft.

And they'll snap it up because it's all theirs for six months.

#36 Posted by speedfog (3223 posts) -

That question can be asked to anyone, for example what did PS3 owners get from having MGS4 as an exclusive?

Now throw that question in a garbage bag and ask yourself 'Do I want to play it or not? If so, am I brave enough to buy an xboxOne?

#37 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Should enjoy getting slaughtered by Uncharted 4 next fall then they shall port it to PC and PS4 because of poor sales.

#38 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2902 posts) -

For gamers who already own an Xbone it offers nothing new, what it does offer Microsoft as a business is potential to gain more sales of their console. No company cares about the sales they have achieved, they care about the sales they can achieve.

From a Xbone owners perspective it offers nothing new to me, either way I would have been able to play it.

#39 Posted by RossRichard (2393 posts) -

They get a timed exclusive. Just like with Dead Rising 3 and Ryse.

#40 Posted by Effec_Tor (316 posts) -

They get an illusion of getting something new.

#41 Posted by GamersJustGame (322 posts) -

@Midnightshade29:

What do they get? They get Rise Of The Tomb Raider.

What do the rest of the people who bought it on PS3, PS4 and PC get? Screwed. Not right and it's bad business on SE part. Great move for MS. Securing an exclusive like this is smart. But for SE to even entertain the idea after millions of Playstation fans and PC fans bought the reboot and supported the game, they shit on consumers wanting to play the sequel on there platform of choice.

#42 Posted by parkurtommo (27211 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

Humans are jerks. There's your reason. Fanboyism is like some sort of morbid mutation of selfishness, loyalty and hate. Only bad things come out of it.

But really, the reason why you want exclusives is because the console may sell more. It's not to please current xbone fangirls; it's for the people who don't have one yet.

#43 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

a lot of butthurt cows making threads

#44 Edited by jg4xchamp (48319 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

The camera in the reboot was terrific.

#45 Posted by TheRealBigRich (734 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@TheRealBigRich said:

Why should your average xbox owner be happy about ms making more cash? Does it go into their pocket? This isn't a new game announced. This is a game that was already announced multiplat...but denied....only people that would be thrilled are system fanboys, and MS employees.

I'm reading through my comment but I don't see where I said anybody should ,could or would be happy. All I stated was that if doing this helps sell any number of Xbox ones than that is what they did this for . Nothing more nothing less so where did you get all that you said from

#46 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I heard they fixed it for the PC, but I don't think they did for PS4.

#47 Posted by jg4xchamp (48319 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I heard they fixed it for the PC, but I don't think they did for PS4.

There was nothing to fix (i had the og version), it's a standard third person shooter camera. The camera is perfectly fine and entirely in the control of a player like any other third person shooter.

#48 Posted by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

Tomb Raider is a Timed exclusive, it's just been confirmed so all this anger and fighting, just can stop now, Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive which means, it isn't helping Xbox One's sell more, when we know it's coming out later.

#49 Posted by TheRealBigRich (734 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

Tomb Raider is a Timed exclusive, it's just been confirmed so all this anger and fighting, just can stop now, Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive which means, it isn't helping Xbox One's sell more, when we know it's coming out later.

Stop ? its just starting lol now people will be even more angry for some reason even when we all knew it was timed

#50 Posted by littlestreakier (2930 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@littlestreakier said:

Your first part is not only true but funny as well. The second part, whelp coincidently, at the show they showed a new IP that looks like a blast.. Scream Ride not to mention the others like Spark, Scalebound amongst others. :P

lol, the first part needed to be said by someone. After reading your response I realized that I worded the second part poorly. What I meant to say was "I wish they would've invested whatever money they spent to make Tomb Raider exclusive, on a new IP". From what I can tell it looks like it's going to be a timed exclusive because Spencer's response always has some form of "Only place to play is Xbox holiday 2015".

With that being said, I think so far MS has done a great job bringing games to the XB1. I'm actually currently thinking about buying the white XB1 bundle with Sunset Overdrive. Two games that i'm excited about on XB1 are new IPs, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. Also very excited for Halo: MCC and now Tomb Raider. Haven't heard about Scream Ride, will check it out. I'm neutral about Scalebound, from what I can tell it looks like a new version of Crackdown.