What do the next-gen twins bring to the table?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Keeping this discussion simple and unbiased, I do not own either of the two next-gen systems(Xbox One or PS4) and I would like to know the unique features for both. In the same way that the 3DS allows stereoscopic 3D or the Wii U has a controller with a tablet sized screen, what unique qualities does the PS4 or Xbox One have that no other console has?

Since it is my belief that a console needs to justify its existence with unique qualities and innovations, I would like to apply this mentality to the new next gen consoles.

In the past this mentality has proven worth while in determining the overall worth of a system. For example:

N64- Introduced the modern joystic

PS1- Introduced dual-joystics and clickable sticks as well

Dreamcast- Web Browser

Wii- Motion Control

NES- D-Pad

and the list goes on...but you get my point.

SO what justifies the Xbox One and PS4's existence??

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mariokart97

@farrell2k said:

The Dreamcast made online play on consoles mainstream, for as mainstream as the Dreamcast actually was.

The XB1 and PS4 are consoles that no one asked for, and do not differentiate themselves in any meaningful way from their predecessors.

I agree, the Dreamcast did make leaps into the quite new online-gaming world we so commonly know today. I love that by the way, that Sega was actually thinking in the right direction. But you truly don't think PS4 and XBONE bring anything new??

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

TV, movies and streaming rentals instead of BC.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

That's a completely ridiculous way of judging a consoles worth. With this logic Sony should have just stuck with the PS1 for the past 20 years because what did the PS2 even bring to the table, you know, apart from improved processing power which allowed for more realistic and immerse worlds as well as new game types that were nowhere close to being possible on the PS1.

So here's what's unique about the PS4 and Xbox One: they have more power than any of the consoles before them and that's as a perfectly justifiable reason for them to exist.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mariokart97

@deadline-zero0 said:

TV, movies and streaming rentals instead of BC.

That's pretty wack since my Wii U has netflix and netflix>>>>TV a long time ago....

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

They're not suppose to bring anything but serve as a medium for playing video games.

Sony made it clear that's the message for the PS4.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Wait, is this the Uber sheep Mariokart97 from way?!

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mariokart97

@bobbetybob said:

That's a completely ridiculous way of judging a consoles worth. With this logic Sony should have just stuck with the PS1 for the past 20 years because what did the PS2 even bring to the table, you know, apart from improved processing power which allowed for more realistic and immerse worlds as well as new game types that were nowhere close to being possible on the PS1.

So here's what's unique about the PS4 and Xbox One: they have more power than any of the consoles before them and that's as a perfectly justifiable reason for them to exist.

With your logic wouldn't the PC be the best platform since it has the most power every single generation? Except I would argue that unique qualities about a system's controller that allows new and unseen gameplay is more important.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Sharing clips with your friends and live streaming.

Or you know, you could just play the cool ass games that release.

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SeriousGaming
Member since 2014 • 91 Posts

What do the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo bring to the table besides more colors and more buttons? 16-bits? That's just double 8-bits! More of the same.

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

With your logic wouldn't the PC be the best platform since it has the most power every single generation? Except I would argue that unique qualities about a system's controller that allows new and unseen gameplay is more important.

New and unseen gameplay is not necessarily good or an improvement.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

They bring alot of things to the table, but Backwards Compatibility and Local Multiplayer aint one of them so ****'em ! :p

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mariokart97
@SolidTy said:

If these games existed on other platforms could they be just as kick ass? Because if they could then what is the innovative quality that makes the games kick ass on that particular platform in the first place?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I can see that MC97 is still as mad as ever.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

HD ports.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Well your arguement is flawed because neither the 3DS or the Wii U offer any new forms of gameplay.... not any that stand out anyway. 3D is just graphics processing.... and adds nothing gameplay wise. the Wii U pad ... is just a controller with a touch screen... at best just an extra menu screen or portable console (I'm not saying its bad) but nothing ground breaking from a gameplay perspective. also the Wii Motes life was short lived.... after its hype went away.

The Twins offer power, more social/internet based features that bring them out of the stone age, proper multitasking ect ect.

A perpiperal will only take you so far... as Nintendo are finding out....

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SeriousGaming

@mariokart97 said:
@SolidTy said:

If these games existed on other platforms could they be just as kick ass? Because if they could then what is the innovative quality that makes the games kick ass on that particular platform in the first place?

If those other platforms were less powerful, then no. *Cough* Wii U *Cough*.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mariokart97 said:
@SolidTy said:

If Dreamcast gets credit from you for something as lame as a web browser, then I've answered your question. Sharing Clips and Live Streaming games on consoles. There you go.

As far as these new machines, they are new. Key word: New. They haven't been out a year yet to impress anyone, just like any new machine. I remember when my brand new Wii U from 2012 was a rough start. Same for 2005's 360. 2000s PS2, 1996s N64, etc. I've been gaming decades, this is nothing new for me. Make this thread next summer, a year from today, and I'll probably have some answers for you on what games are kick ass and validate these machines. If I don't, then I'll say these are the worst machines ever in my long history of gaming, but I doubt it.

Personally, I play my last gen games more than current gen, but I knew this going in that a first year is rougher.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@farrell2k said:

The XB1 and PS4 are consoles that no one asked for, and do not differentiate themselves in any meaningful way from their predecessors.

People don't want anything different though. The gaming populace doesn't want a console that does something new or something that proclaims it will try and bring "new" to the table

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Funny, I always looked at what games a system had to determine if they were worth existing.

NES = Mario

Sega Genesis = Sonic

PS1 = GT3, Tekken

Saturn = Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon

N64 = Killer Instinct, Super Mario 64, Star Fox

Dreamcast = Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure

PS2 = MGS2, FFX, Tony Hawk, Tekken Tag

Xbox = Halo

PS3 = Uncharted, MGS4, Demon's Souls

Xbox 360 = Forza 3, Halo 3

Xbox one and PS4? so far???

Xbox one = Forza 5

PS4 = Infamous Second Son

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SeriousGaming

@R3FURBISHED said:

@farrell2k said:

People don't want anything different though. The gaming populace doesn't want a console that does something new or something that proclaims it will try and bring "new" to the table

Exactly. The Wii was a success because it appealed to a demographic other than that gaming populace.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mariokart97

@MBirdy88 said:

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Well your arguement is flawed because neither the 3DS or the Wii U offer any new forms of gameplay.... not any that stand out anyway. 3D is just graphics processing.... and adds nothing gameplay wise. the Wii U pad ... is just a controller with a touch screen... at best just an extra menu screen or portable console (I'm not saying its bad) but nothing ground breaking from a gameplay perspective. also the Wii Motes life was short lived.... after its hype went away.

The Twins offer power, more social/internet based features that bring them out of the stone age, proper multitasking ect ect.

See I see your point with the social gaming, that makes sense, I won't deny you that.

In the defense of the Wii U, I have played Black Ops 2 with the Wii U Pro controller and had the Wii U Gamepad on the stand in front of my TV and display the map on the Wii U Gamepad and can quickly look between the TV(where the action is) and the Wii U Gamepad(For the map) whereas with all consoles before it I would have had to pause the game and un-pause to do the same thing.

It acts as a secondary screen while I play on the Wii U Pro controller and it helps me to occasionally blow up enemy care packages since I see where they are landing on the map since I have enough time. Nothing super groundbreaking but do you see how it isn't really possible on any other platform?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Sony and MS are bringing a bunch of nonsense. Gamers bought into it last gen and they will continue to do so this gen.

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriousGaming

@mariokart97 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

See I see your point with the social gaming, that makes sense, I won't deny you that.

In the defense of the Wii U, I have played Black Ops 2 with the Wii U Pro controller and had the Wii U Gamepad on the stand in front of my TV and display the map on the Wii U Gamepad and can quickly look between the TV(where the action is) and the Wii U Gamepad(For the map) whereas with all consoles before it I would have had to pause the game and un-pause to do the same thing.

It acts as a secondary screen while I play on the Wii U Pro controller and it helps me to occasionally blow up enemy care packages since I see where they are landing on the map since I have enough time. Nothing super groundbreaking but do you see how it isn't really possible on any other platform?

But that's not new or innovative. The DS already did that a decade ago.

Glue a DS to an Xbox 360 and call it innovative.

Hate_me_now22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hate_me_now22
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

With that mindset, nobody should buy a new car until they can start flying or running on clean energy. Technological advances happen in small, incremental steps, with each step building on top of the other. These news systems offer more power, an ease of us, new games operatic at better resolutions with lower weight times, and more multiplayer options. Most importantly, our purchases of them fuel the market so that technology can KEEP advancing and so you can eventually get that huge, monumental, proclaim-it-to-the-mountains advances.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mariokart97

@seriousgaming said:

@mariokart97 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Not quite. I understand they both use the dual screen idea but the DS doesn't provide an equal experience. With the Wii U I have the standard large HD TV but I also have the smaller Wii U gamepad screen to the side of it. With the Wii U I can more easily position the screens to my liking rather than the DS where it is more restricted.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@mariokart97 said:

What do the next-gen twins bring to the table?

What next gen twins?

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts
  • Strong 3rd Party support
  • Multiplat Big Budget titles and franchises
  • which can lead to Newer Ips

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

Funny, I always looked at what games a system had to determine if they were worth existing.

NES = Mario, Contra, CastlVania, Zelda, Duck Tales, Metroid, Mega Man 2

Sega Genesis = Sonic, Gunsar Heros, CastleVania(Bloodlines), Streets of Rage 2

PS1 = GT3, Tekken, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Abes Exodus, CastlVania SOTN, Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Cross

Saturn = Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon, House of The Dead, Virtua Cop, Clockwork Knight 2, Gaurdian Heros, Deep Fear

Had to add a few games to those systems, as they were my favorites. Also what is GT3 on the Playstation ?

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriousGaming

@mariokart97 said:

@seriousgaming said:

@mariokart97 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@mariokart97 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Not quite. I understand they both use the dual screen idea but the DS doesn't provide an equal experience. With the Wii U I have the standard large HD TV but I also have the smaller Wii U gamepad screen to the side of it. With the Wii U I can more easily position the screens to my liking rather than the DS where it is more restricted.

A minor convenience, not a huge leap forward or anything. Sounds about as innovative as wireless controllers, or the Gamecube controller featuring a d-pad that can be accessed by moving the thumb from the control stick, as opposed to moving the entire hand like the N64 controller required.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I think theses consoles were just a way to soften down the complaints of last gen's consoles getting old. It's basically more of the same. I'd say they're more like a PS3 and 360 2.0.

Who even cares at this point... It's pointless. No one listens.

Just keep gaming. And if you ever get tired of getting ripped off, move to PC, where you'll get slightly less ripped off.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Consoles are for playing games.....that is ultimately the only justification needed for their existence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The logic in the OP is ridiculously bad. A console does not need a defining trait to exist. It needs great games to exist. As of right now, the PS4 and Xbox One are both lacking in that department, but you can bet your ass they will have great games down the line, enough great games to justify them.

If you want more proof that defining traits are ultimately useless, let's pick two systems you pointed out in the OP: 3DS and Wii U. 3DS and Wii U are great systems, but not because of the 3D or the tablet, but because of the great games that they have. These games are great not because of the 3D or tablet, but in spite of them. Therefore, by extension, the 3DS and Wii U are great not because of their gimmicks, but in spite of them.

Ultimately, it's about the games. PS4 and Xbox One will be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yet the Wiiu, with the best games, is not fine.

It sure is fine. Is it setting the world on fire? No. Is it selling well? No. Is it losing a lot of money? Yes. Are the software sales good enough to justify continued investment? Yes.

The system is a failure, but the software ecosystem continues to exist and grow. From my perspective, as a gamer? More games=fine. I'll leave it to Nintendo to worry about the number crunching.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@farrell2k said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yet the Wiiu, with the best games, is not fine.

It sure is fine. Is it setting the world on fire? No. Is it selling well? No. Is it losing a lot of money? Yes. Are the software sales good enough to justify continued investment? Yes.

You sure Nintendo agrees with that?

You can't sell software without people having the hardware, not to mention when the PS 4 and Xbones software become stronger it will take a bit out of the already hurting Nintendo. Nintendos software is stronger now basically because it had a years head start when the Wii U first launched it had crap as well and it doesn't have that 3rd party support.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

PS1 = Introduced nothing new apart from optical disc based copy protection that was difficult to circumvent without modding, don't know of any prior use.
PS2 = Upgraded PS1
PS3 = Upgraded PS2
PS4 = Upgraded PS3

Xbox = Introduced nothing new
Xbox360 = Upgraded Xbox
Xbox One = Upgraded Xbox360 with Kinect 2.0 camera bundled, unless something else come with a bundled camera.

NES = Introduces nothing new
SNES = Upgraded NES
N64 = Upgraded SNES
Gamecube = Upgraded N64
Wii = Slightly Upgraded Gamecube with first motion controller bundled with a console.
Wii-U = Upgraded Wii with tablet controller.

When I mean upgraded I mean increased overall specification, obviously the architecture changes. And when I mean introduces nothing new I mean nothing new in the form of previously existing technologies or stuff that has been done before.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They made them more like PCs but with low/mid range parts.

Next gen offers:

Better graphics than last gen. That is a given.

Microtransactions.

Pay2win.

More DLC.

Remasters.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#40  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@farrell2k:

Neither brings anything new to the table. Unless you count removing many features their predecessors had.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

TV and SPORTS! Oh and games, one of these days.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Xbox One has P90X for kinect which looks pretty interesting.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

The most positive change I have seen is more developers switching lead platform to pc.

Thank you for switching to gimped pc architecture Sony and Microsoft.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Microtransactions.

Pay2win.

More DLC.

Remasters.

Nailed it.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

What "justifies their existence?"

Is revolution necessary for evolution?

MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

DVD drive = More storage for games, DVD player,

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Games?