What difficulty do you normally start with?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What difficulty do you normally start with? (109 votes)

Very Hard 10%
Hard 22%
Normal 57%
Easy 6%
Very Easy 5%

I used to always play on normal, but now I find myself picking hard mode more and more often. I guess I got skillz with a z. What about, you SW?

• 
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Normal. Unless it's a legitimately bad game.

then wat

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@commonfate said:

then wat

Oh right. Easy. Easiest.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#53 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts
@SolidTy said:

Right on!

Protip: It's special literary test that helps me identify the "special" users around this very special forum. :)

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Always normal, then hard. Where's the fun if the game is too easy?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@remiks00 said:
@SolidTy said:

Right on!

Protip: It's special literary test that helps me identify the "special" users around this very special forum. :)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidTy said:

@remiks00 said:
@SolidTy said:

Right on!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#57  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I play on normal because the way they increase the difficulty tends to be completely uninteresting and even annoying. The normal difficulty seems to be the one they actually developed, and the others are just some variable modifiers.

Also, unlocks are gone, so there is way less incentive to even bother with hard difficulty. The rare game that does offer incentives (so not just score or achievements) I play on more difficulties. Bayonetta 2 I played on all difficulties.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#58  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Usually hard for the first playthrough, and the hardest for the second one.

Im surprised so many people dont like a good single player challenge, though! I beat Dragon Age Inquisition recently on hard, and realised that only 1.5% got that trophy.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Game series I enjoy (Highest diffiuculty)

Every other game (Normal mode)

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

I collect saved files just to unlock crushing difficulties. I can't play games on easy, if I do the game suck like balls.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I usually start on normal then switch to hard if it's too easy. I just did that in Diablo 3 on the PS4, it was ridiculously easy on normal so I started again on hard and that's quite easy too. I don't know if I can be bothered starting again on the next difficulty up, I'm too far through it now.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I usually start with the easiest difficulty available because i play games to enjoy the story without frustration or raging so couldnt care less about challenges or any of that bs.. its all about having a fun experience without the need to throw my controller.

Same here, i've nothing to prove by playing a difficulty that could frustrate me and get in the way of me enjoying the story so i'll start with easy to see how it is.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Easy.. i dont play games to get frustrated. Plus, The easier the game is - the faster i finish it - so i can move on to the next game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Normal. Most games aren't fun enough to play on harder difficulties.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Normal by default and change it up if it's too easy.

It depends on the game though, for example some RTS games I'll play on easy (Star Craft) and others I'll play on hard (Total War) off the bat and alter accordingly.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

For FPS and third person shooters i choose hard, everything else normal.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

If there chics around I'll usually play on hard if I had to choose the setting, or remember one of my easy game if I didn't had to choose the setting.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#68 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I almost always start on normal, but in the case with something like the Last of Us, I started with Hard for a better experience.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#69 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Depends on the game. I turn it down far enough for me to not die every few minutes. Life's too short to replay the same sections of a video game over and over.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#70 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Normal pretty much always.

Also,

ITT: Butthurt over other people starting their games on hard difficulty.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#71 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Normal. I want to enjoy the game at moderate settings during my first playthrough. After that, I'll consider turning up the difficulty.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@SolidTy said:

@inb4uall said:

@SolidTy said:

Very Hard/Veteran...unless it's not available then I play on Hard and then play again on Very Hard. Very hard and Hard feel to me like "Normal" and Normal feels like super easy, and I have no idea how easy feels since I don't ever play on easy.

The games today are way too easy. I feel like there is no challenge at all if I play on normal or lower, it's like going through the motions.

It's not that I'm sooo good, it's that the industry got huge and made games easier over the decades to be more welcoming to fans. I don't mind it as long as they have harder modes to make the game for gamers of a bygone era.

On a rare occasion, I will play on Hard or Very Hard and it feels too cheap or broken, then I will go down a notch. In my experience though, that's just faulty programming as the devs just amped the AI to cheat and is no fun either.

It's not an "ego driven thing", it's a "make it fun for SolidTy" type of thing. I buy and play games games to have fun. Easy games aren't fun for me. Games that are way too easy I get too bored with and I like to know that I'm a better gamer today than I was 10 years ago...or that's the goal at least. To evolve.

It's about balancing the fun and making sure I don't feel like I'm six years old again and there is no challenge. I grew up in the arcades where you had to stretch a quarter, so getting good saved you money. I only had lunch money by skipping lunch to work with.

It's my secret on why I have such a high gamerscore, many platinums, and a high PC/Nintendo completion rate...I play on harder difficulties which truth be told, doesn't feel hard at all with modern games.

Some games don't have difficulty and that's usually okay, but I find those games to be easy normally. You unlock a harder mode afterwards and I wish that mode was available the first time.

I do hate Auto AI/auto difficulty. That's junk imo. I've gotten into arguments because of that. Skilled gamer: "Man, that fourth level was pretty tough!" Terrible gamer: "No, it was easy as pie." Ruins conversations about the game because each experience is unique but ultimately you don't decide on a difficulty and you don't know if you are terrible or good, because the game decides for you. I want to know I'm improving and I can't know in those situations.

Although my post was intended as an honest answer and not intended to provoke any type of jealousy or rage, I've decided to rewrite my post SW style to better reflect this forum and the pictures of rage that accompany this forum. Sometimes I forget where I am.

---

I ONLY play Veteran or harder. Very Hard and Veteran are too easy, but I settle for it. I typically play games while I'm parachuting out of airplanes though, just to add to the difficulty. If you play on any other mode you are a toddler, or at least the have retained the skills of a toddler.

The games today ARE TOO EASY which is why I do stunts involving trains, hang gliding, boats, and motorcycles.

If I'm really feeling risky, I won't look both ways crossing a street while playing games on my handhelds.

I'm sooo good, 'nuff said.

There is no rare occasion, I will play on ONLY Very Hard and it's BAD ASS! If the game is too easy, I will take the game outside,launch it in the air, and use my custom built flame thrower on the disc. I'm that hardcore.

It is entirely an "ego driven thing". I buy and play games to destroy them and mock users online. I live for the high octane thrills that only combining mountain dew, x-treme sports, and gaming provide...Simultaneously!!!

It's about balancing the hardcore skillz I have in spades and making sure I stay hardcore. Pass the skills a little to locals and I even opened up a video game DOJO, the first of it's kind. I grew up in the arcades where you had to stretch a quarter, so getting good saved you money. I only had lunch money from other kids that freely gave up their money when the saw me skating past them in the halls.

It's my secret on why I have such a high gamerscore, many platinums, and a high PC/Nintendo completion rate...I play on only the hardest difficulties which truth be told, still is way too fuggin' easy peasy! I have a bunch of high scores, nanny nanny boo boo! I can't help it, I'm that hardcore.

Once a kid said, I was easycore, but I argued back, NO I'M HARDCORE not EASYCORE! That kid learned his lesson and began to cry. Poor kid.

Some games don't have difficulty and I refuse to play them now. I'll leave all of those games behind because they are clearly for babies. b

I do hate Auto AI/auto difficulty. I'm hardcore and even auto difficulty is way too easy because, you guessed it, I'm hardcore. I've gotten into arguments because I'm so badass and hardcore. I'm quite the super Skilled super gamer and no one here can do anything about that. ME: "Man, that fourth level was SUPER SIMPLE, I'm AMAZING!" Terrible gamer: "No, it was teh too hardz."

It never ceases to amaze me how you can turn anything into a giant block of text no one wants to read.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Start on normal, play on hard if I want a replay, then very easy if I just want to have a quick play.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@SolidTy: what he's saying is, usually someone who needs to talk a lot to convey a simple point has problems articulating themselves properly.

In the year 2015, your boss, friends, co-workers, heck even philosophy professors prefer it when you don't o off tangent. Prefer it when you are concise and straight to the point. Brevity is king not verbosity. This stupid thread asked a simple question and so, there was absolutely no need for that. All things consider, it is a another multiple choice question that has three possible answers:

• Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard

Anything else is excessive BS whether your opinion is written fluently or not. Like stated above, majority will think its bull shit based on the simple context of the question asked. Now if the question was lets say, "What are the cultural effects of video games?" then I could understand due to the complexities that surround that question.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Usually hard. It offers a nice challenge without being too frustrating that it takes away from the experience the first time through.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#76 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58918 Posts

On newer games the hardest difficulty. The are incomparably easier to older titles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@notorious1234na:

Isn't that what Grammaton Cleric used to do ? How come when he does it its okay ?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Normal for majority

Hard/Very hard for fighting genre ( Street Fighter / Tekken / Mortal Kombat etc )

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

It depends if it is a great game like wonderful 101 and bayonetta and so on I will play it on all the modes because I enjoy them. If it is a boring shooter or wrpg that I fell for the hype like fallout and skyrim then I will but it on easy just to rush the game so I can say at least I got my money worth then sell it as soon as possible and if it is a boring fighting game like Doa I just will not waste my time so yeah it depends.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@inb4uall: jibber jabber master ya know.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Depends. If it's a series that I'm a familiar with, then hard, legendary, mania, or what have you. If it's something like a shmup, or a game from a genre that I don't typically play, then probably normal for the first run. The only difficulty settings that I don't touch are easy and below.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

If the difficulties are well balanced, I will go for the highest difficulty settings.

But when the highest difficulty setting means nothing more than HP bloat, I go for the second highest difficulty setting. For games with a lot of depth, I will also go beyond the highest difficulty and embrace self imposed challenges. Something that some people appearantly think I am an idiot for doing.

In X-COM, I hacked the save games to terminate all funding from the funding nations and had to rely entirely on looting. In Jagged Alliance 2 I used the weakest mercenaries.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@Link3301 said:

Normal pretty much always.

Also,

ITT: Butthurt over other people starting their games on hard difficulty.

Yep! I've participated in about 30+ "What difficulty to you start on" threads over the years and this thread turned out to be wonderfully special. lmaonade.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I usually start with the easiest difficulty available because i play games to enjoy the story without frustration or raging so couldnt care less about challenges or any of that bs.. its all about having a fun experience without the need to throw my controller.

Yeah 100% agree... I always start on easiest, then if I play it again I work my way up.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#85 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

noramal....hard mode doesnt make it more fun for me. I only do hard mode because of a trophy anyway.

The only games that i played on harder difficulty was tekken...then i realized there it wasnt more challenging...it was more cheesy...and you counter it with being cheesy yourself.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#86 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Normal, Hard if I hear the game is too easy on Normal.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Depends on the game, but I've been more interested in the hard difficulty lately.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Normal on my first playthrough

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#89 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I guess I don't have skillz. I go Normal and unless I want to replay, I never see the harder levels.

I used to play on Hard mode but as I'm getting older I'm not as good at games as I once was so nowadays I play on Normal.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Normal but sometimes after not playing a game for a long time and just kinda want to got through the SP for the story & stuff, I'll play on easy and feel like a hulking badass and don't get in mah way. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It depends on how the difficulty scales. Always on a hard difficulty if the added challenge is done in a decent way. For example, imo, Halo is more enjoyable on the step below Legendary(with only one person). I've beat the games on Legendary, but the difficulty seems to simply increase the amount of times needed to hit the enemies--and I think I remember 'rules' of the game even being broken, like headshots and back melees.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I tend to stick with normal unless it is a fighter then with in about a month the game is switched right over to the hardest difficulty there is.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I go with easy difficulty every time at a first playthrough, then if i want to replay it i go with normal difficulty.

@Heirren said:

It depends on how the difficulty scales. Always on a hard difficulty if the added challenge is done in a decent way. For example, imo, Halo is more enjoyable on the step below Legendary(with only one person). I've beat the games on Legendary, but the difficulty seems to simply increase the amount of times needed to hit the enemies--and I think I remember 'rules' of the game even being broken, like headshots and back melees.

With Halo:CE being the sole exception. The game is boring at any other difficulty below Heroic. At Heroic, it's a completely different experience. It's like the game was built to be played in co-op on Heroic. It's an incredibly enjoyable experience.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#94 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@sukraj said:

@cainetao11 said:

I guess I don't have skillz. I go Normal and unless I want to replay, I never see the harder levels.

I used to play on Hard mode but as I'm getting older I'm not as good at games as I once was so nowadays I play on Normal.

Everything but your Johnson gets harder with age.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#95 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@sukraj said:

@cainetao11 said:

Everything but your Johnson gets harder with age.

Thats what the wife says.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

im surprised so many play games on easy... last time i played on easy i was like 14 and im 27 now lol. What is the point of playing on easy when you can do it blindfolded and still win (especially in games nowdays)?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulu_Lulu

@silversix_:

The point is people want to see them cutscenes....... besides difficulty is done rather poorly in games these days.....

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@silversix_:

The point is people want to see them cutscenes....... besides difficulty is done rather poorly in games these days.....

if that's the case why not just watch some1 play the game on youtube or twitch? No need to spend a penny and is easier than Easy Mode, literally...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Lulu_Lulu

@silversix_:

Exactly...... its like it never occured to them.....but nope..... they insist on playing the game.....

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#100 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I always start on normal and go on hard after finishing the game.