What Defines a Next-Gen System?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamernaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamernaz
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Is it Graphics and Power? Then its PS3 and 360

Is it Innovation, something different to the table? Then PS3 and Wii with new gameplay functionality

Its Online and Content? Well then its all three even though Wii has yet to have a online game it does have growing library of games

Hd? PS3 and 360

I mean, there are a bunch of topics that could define or undefine a next-gen system as a next-gen system.

What do you define as a next-gen system because honestly all three are next gen just they do next-gen differently.
hoankiemdinh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 hoankiemdinh
Member since 2004 • 685 Posts
Xbox 360.
gamernaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamernaz
Xbox 360.hoankiemdinh
really does it? Does it define it? So your telling me that 360 is the pinnacle of next-gen systems? So anything above 360's functionality is better than next-gen?
Dr_Evil_PhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dr_Evil_PhD
Member since 2006 • 1507 Posts

next-gen system = a system one gen ahead of current-gen systems

/thread

gamernaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamernaz

next-gen system = a system one gen ahead of current-gen systems

/thread

Dr_Evil_PhD
well duh, smart ass. But what makes it a next-gen.
geist117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 geist117
Member since 2006 • 4419 Posts

360, PS3, PSP, Wii, and DS are 7th generation systems. Next gen would be 8th generation. Anybody saying different is probably borderline retarded.

gamernaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamernaz

360, PS3, PSP, Wii, and DS are 7th generation systems. Next gen would be 8th generation. Anybody saying different is probably borderline retarded.

geist117
depends upon how far you go back but yeah. Kinda makes you think that we are still doing something that was done back in the 80's.
Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
[QUOTE="geist117"]

gamernaz

depends upon how far you go back but yeah. Kinda makes you think that we are still doing something that was done back in the 80's.

Yup we are. We are still playing games.:) And that aint gonna change.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
well duh, smart ass. But what makes it a next-gen. gamernaz

Exactly what he said makes it next gen. It does not matter what kind of graphical prowess a console/system has. As long as it is the next step in gaming released from the respective company, it is the next-generation.
gamernaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamernaz
[QUOTE="gamernaz"][QUOTE="geist117"]

Weslii

Yup we are. We are still playing games.:) And that aint gonna change.

not far a long as time. Hell, i still have my ps1 in storage and the games. Will never trade in my playstaions. Sentimental Value.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
Next-gen= Improved system from last gen
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
The hole package, graphics, inovation, gameplay, psychics, online you need them all to make the ultimate next gen console.
Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Mystikef
Member since 2003 • 5125 Posts

Is it Graphics and Power? Then its PS3 and 360

Is it Innovation, something different to the table? Then PS3 and Wii with new gameplay functionality

Its Online and Content? Well then its all three even though Wii has yet to have a online game it does have growing library of games

Hd? PS3 and 360

I mean, there are a bunch of topics that could define or undefine a next-gen system as a next-gen system.

What do you define as a next-gen system because honestly all three are next gen just they do next-gen differently.
gamernaz

It simply means the next generation of video game consoles.  Next-gen is used to describe every generation BEFORE it comes out.

Right now there is only CURRENT gen (360, PS3, Wii) and LAST gen (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) and then all of the previous generations, as well. 

There are no Next-gen consoles announced, but they will be PS4, Xbox 720, and Wii 2.

BigBadButters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBadButters
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
there is no way in hell Nintendo will name the "N6" Wii 2.
there wont be a 720 because then eventually the name would be longwinded they need a new name
PS4 is probable
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
A next gen system is a system that comes after the previous generation.That's basically it.It has nothing to do with graphics or anything,except that it has improved from the last system.
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
Just bringing something different to the table that wasn't around before makes them next-gen. Aside from downgraded graphics the Wii is the most next-gen because it makes you look a gaming differently. Madden for the 360 plays no different than Madden for the PS1/PS2. Same game mechanics just better graphics/newer modes. Madden for the Wii makes the game much more involved, and has you participate more in the game rather than just pressing X.
Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mystikef

there is no way in hell Nintendo will name the "N6" Wii 2.
there wont be a 720 because then eventually the name would be longwinded they need a new name
PS4 is probable
BigBadButters

I did say they were not announced... and, therefore, I was not stating those as the actual names.  I had to refer to them as something to get the point across.

That point being that the current gen of consoles should no longer be refered to as "Next-gen."  That is what they are called before they are all available on the market.

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

It's pretty simple.

You add the latest hardware into the console so their is a significant performance increase.  That is "Next Gen"

Current Gen = PS2, Xbox, GC and Wii

Next Gen = 360 and PS3

Adding a new gizmo to hardware dated almost 5 to 6 years ago does not make a console "Next Gen".

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AgentVX

That point being that the current gen of consoles should no longer be refered to as "Next-gen."  That is what they are called before they are all available on the market.

Mystikef

See folks, this is an arguement put out by Wii fans all the time.  So then just to make the Wiinies all happy, I will adjust their twisted logic into something they can understand.

Last Gen = PS2, Xbox, GC and Wii

Current Gen = 360 and PS3

Hope this will help the Wiinies!!!

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Isn't this obvious? Just look at how we talk about generations concerning family, grandfather, father, son, grandson etc
Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mystikef
[QUOTE="Mystikef"]

AgentVX

See folks, this is an arguement put out by Wii fans all the time.  So then just to make the Wiinies all happy, I will adjust their twisted logic into something they can understand.

Last Gen = PS2, Xbox, GC and Wii

Current Gen = 360 and PS3

Hope this will help the Wiinies!!!

Being that I am an avid 360 fan...  I could take offense by that.

The GameSube, PS2, and Xbox were once referred to as "next-gen" consoles.  That was before they came out.  Thus the word NEXT.  Next-gen = next generation = the next generation of consoles to arrive on the market.  Current gen = the generation of consoles currently on the market = PS3, 360, and Wii. 

Maybe the Wii does not live up to the same technological standards as the 360 and PS3...  but it doesn't make a difference.  It is the current gen console from Nintendo, just as the 360 is the current gen MS console, and the PS3 is the current gen Sony console. This is not that complex that I should have to explaint it four times.

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AgentVX

Isn't this obvious? Just look at how we talk about generations concerning family, grandfather, father, son, grandson etcPangster007

Sure, you could look at it that way.

BUT, the Wii is like one of your 63 year old aunts that divorced her husband and got half of the 20 million dollar estate that married the 19yr old body building pool boy.

Sure, she got a new sidekick, but she the same 63 yr old wrinkly diaper wearing aunt.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

[QUOTE="Pangster007"]Isn't this obvious? Just look at how we talk about generations concerning family, grandfather, father, son, grandson etcAgentVX

Sure, you could look at it that way.

BUT, the Wii is like one of your 63 year old aunts that divorced her husband and got half of the 20 million dollar estate that married the 19yr old body building pool boy.

Sure, she got a new sidekick, but she the same 63 yr old wrinkly diaper wearing aunt.

is that what really goes on in your mind? If you're just joking, fine.
glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts

The next console after its predecessor. Duh.

But for all those fanboys out there, my opinion of a next-gen system is one that improves upon its old one in some way. All of the 3 consoles do this in some form or another. 360 and PS3 hugely enhance graphics, Wii enhances graphics slightly, and brings in a new style of control.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts
Well, I can't understand why do you people still name those systems "next gen systems".

Xbox 360 and PS3 are next-gen? I mean, where's the logic?

If we follow some logical pathway, it should be like this...

past-gen: xbox, ps2 gamecube

current-gen: xbox360, ps3, wii

next-gen: xbox720, ps4, whatever nintendo invents