What are the best main menu themes of all time?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

Nice to see Secret of Mana being listed. Honestly, I never thought the game was that great, but it had some great tracks for sure.

And yeah, pretty much all of my other favs have been listed.

Guess I'll give Terranigma a shout out. I only got into it recently and its pretty decent. Definitely some good tracks.

Combat kind a sucks in SoM and the companion AI is dreadful, but the music is really, really nice. Outside nostalgia i never understood the praise tho, same goes for mediocre shit like UN Squadron and Knights of the Round.

Terranigma is a great game for sure. My favorite action - RPG on the system. Ilusion of Gaia is decent as well, tho not nearly as good or polished.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#102 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

how can it not be the MGS4 main menu ?? i dont even like the game too much,but damn that menu

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Monkey Island

of course..

Also

Uncharted series

Elder Scrolls

Soul Sacrifice

and the

Super Mario

is a classic

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Fur Fighters

Little Big Adventure 2

Resident Evil : Code Veronica

Timesplitters 2

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Duke Nukem 3D

Toy Commander

Age of Empires 2

Sonic 3D

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#105  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm a big fan of Phantasy Star 2's main menu theme.

It's so lonely and mysterious sounding. This is one rare case in which I like that the song sounds dated.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@Lucianu said:

Not a menu theme, but i gotta give a shout out to Mega Turrican (SEGA Genesis) stage 1 theme.

Brilliant game, brilliant music.

I love Mega Turrican; very rarely do I see anyone ever mention it. 1-2 is my favorite piece of music from it.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Metroid Prime is probably my favorite.

Worth mentioning Final Fantasy IX and the Halo games, Gears of War 1 (that one sends shivers down my spine), World of Warcraft, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and Super Mario World...

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#108  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Uncharted series

Metroid Prime

The Zelda series.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#109 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Obviously Brawl since you can choose which of the many great songs you want to hear.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#110  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

What? no one said Crysis 2? Maybe the game is just that hated....

seriously great theme song wasted.. makes you feel like shit about to get serious......

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Vanilla World of Warcraft
Guild Wars Nightfall
Guild Wars Factions (Sadly none of these themes are no longer the theme played in the main menu, this replaced them, and I dont like it nearly as much as the other 2)
Xenoblade (title screen makes for an excellent Screen Saver too)
Sid Meier's Civilization 4
Morrowind

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Wow, I freaking cannot believe I am going to be the first to mentions Final Fantasy 7's absolutely amazing main menu theme.

Such an incredible soundtrack that game has. Only game soundtrack I actually felt the need to buy.

The only problem with that is that it's not exactly memorable because it's just the Final Fantasy Prelude, which has been in every FF game besides x-2 and I think the XIII trilogy.

But I have to agree that FF7 has a ridiculously good soundtrack.

Yeah they do have the same songs being redone for the series. I just think it works perfectly for FF7.

I am extremely partial to FF7 though. Still is my fav game of all time and there is a butt-ton of nostalgia there.

I do think the soundtrack is pretty objectively the best of all-gaming. Uematsu's work with that game was just so God damn incredible!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By GreySeal9

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Wow, I freaking cannot believe I am going to be the first to mentions Final Fantasy 7's absolutely amazing main menu theme.

Such an incredible soundtrack that game has. Only game soundtrack I actually felt the need to buy.

The only problem with that is that it's not exactly memorable because it's just the Final Fantasy Prelude, which has been in every FF game besides x-2 and I think the XIII trilogy.

Yeah they do have the same songs being redone for the series. I just think it works perfectly for FF7.

I am extremely partial to FF7 though. Still is my fav game of all time and there is a butt-ton of nostalgia there.

I do think the soundtrack is pretty objectively the best of all-gaming. Uematsu's work with that game was just so God damn incredible!

I don't think FF7's soundtrack has aged particularly well. I think the "instruments" sound quite unnatural and the overall effect is somewhat tinny (not in that awesome retro way) and leaves me kind of cold. Don't get wrong. Many of the compositions are solid and some are even excellent (particularly Aeris's Theme and One Winged Angel), but I think that many FF soundtracks are much stronger in a melodic sense (especially that of FF6,8,9,10). I think FF7's soundtrack would really benefit from rearrangement. It sounds way too mechanical and dated to compete with some of the other FF soundtracks IMO.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I don't think FF7's soundtrack has aged particularly well. I think the "instruments" sound quite unnatural and the overall effect is somewhat tinny (not in that awesome retro way) and leaves me kind of cold. Don't get wrong. Many of the compositions are solid and some are even excellent (particularly Aeris's Theme and One Winged Angel), but I think that many FF soundtracks are much stronger in a melodic sense (especially that of FF6,8,9,10). I think FF7's soundtrack would really benefit from rearrangement. It sounds way too mechanical and dated to compete with some of the other FF soundtracks IMO.

It does have somewhat of a more computerized sound. Wonder if it was because it was their first foray into putting music on a PS1 FF game.

My dream is for them to remake the game and I would LOVE them to re-record that soundtrack for a remake.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By GreySeal9

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

It does have somewhat of a more computerized sound. Wonder if it was because it was their first foray into putting music on a PS1 FF game.

My dream is for them to remake the game and I would LOVE them to re-record that soundtrack for a remake.

Probably.

The closest we can get to a redone soundtrack is some of the rearrangements on YouTube, but I find that most of them lose the atmosphere of the original game. The ideal rearrangement would be to take the the same basic sound of the original tracks but beef them up and make them sound warmer.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#116 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Original need for speed underground was good

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#117 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The lack of Chrono Cross and The Witcher makes me sad for this forum.

Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

The lack of Chrono Cross and The Witcher makes me sad for this forum.

Ah. Forgot about the Witcher. Glad they're bringing that theme back for TW3, dunno why they left it out of 2.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

How have there been 118 posts in this thread without mention of FFXII's theme? I know it is kind of a rehash of previous games in the series, but it really sticks with me for some reason, especially the last 45 seconds.

Plus another vote for Halo (great mix) and FFX, so much nostalgia.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

only correct answers are:

Deus Ex: HR

Oblivion

Mass Effect

TLOU

Dragon's Dogma

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#121  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Metroid Prime, hands down. It's also one of the best looking intros. Also, Mafia and STALKER. Amazing themes right there.