What are happening to the split screen console games?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Daious (1877 posts) -

Bungie and Insomniac who have had splitscreen/local co-op for a decade no longer have the mode in their new titles. Other titles as well are missing split screen. Other than racers and certain COD games there just doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it on PS4 or Xboxone.

I hate to see this trend continue. Does anyone know some aaa titles with split screen coming out?

#2 Posted by Telekill (4973 posts) -

I thought couch coop was already dead?

#3 Posted by NFJSupreme (5386 posts) -

the internet happened a while ago. I do think the feature should always be there though.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

Duh ! Gamers are lonlier than ever and would rather play online or all alone in single player mode than to share the couch with another human being.... This is your future.... This is "Next-Gen" at its finest !

#6 Posted by santoron (7890 posts) -

That switch hit last gen. You're just watching the last couple stragglers join the herd.

#7 Edited by Basinboy (11350 posts) -

#8 Edited by vickissv2 (1779 posts) -

I forgot people don't ever want to play games with other people living in the same house or who they have over.

But then again, the cop out response would be: as graphics and gameplay advance split screen does put more of a strain on hardware.

#9 Edited by lamprey263 (24963 posts) -

online co-op and competitive MP happened, so sure maybe split-screen co-op and MP might be phasing out in many instances, but at the same time online multiplayer in games has really expanded the way games are made and played

#10 Posted by ConanTheStoner (6876 posts) -

Nintendo games + fighting games.

The only real havens for local mp.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@vickissv2

Proof that 8th Gen is actually not that Powerfull.

#12 Posted by bezza2011 (2700 posts) -

I'm totally with you, the more social media aspects come in the game, the more alone your becoming, I mean days are gone of mates coming round for beers and pizza playing a co op game of a racer or a fps and leaving them out is just not right in my eyes, I mean it's making gaming more anti social than social in a way, soon people won't have friends they'll just have there internet buddies, instead of interacting properly with other humans it will be a quick hello at school and are you on tonight? instead of do ya fancy coming round and chilling playing on my new game. crazy to think that there driving that out of us and wanting us to play just online.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@bezza2011

Yep... I also though it thought it was funny how Social Media is making us lonlier. Infact I'd say MMO players are the lonliest people ever..... Wouldn't it be nice to have a an MM (Massive Multiplayer without online) game instead ?

#14 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14154 posts) -

Nobody has friends IRL now.

#15 Posted by Bigboi500 (30512 posts) -

Today's gamers have no friends irl, so it's been replaced by online play with strangers and internet "friends".

#16 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16991 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

Don't forget sports games. It's still the classic local MP genre on consoles....at least for me.

#17 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (426 posts) -

I suggest you get a WiiU if you want local coop. They actually have some good titles out for coop. SM3DW and MK8 come to mind.

Yeah, what a lot of people in this thread are saying is true. People are becoming less social in real life. Apparently a study was done in Japan, kids were more interested in video games than dating. The world is very online connected nowadays.

#18 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (4427 posts) -

Never liked split screens. Taking over half the screen for a game is annoying IMO.

That's i think fighting, sports and other games are better for co-op gameplay.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

Being more "connected" online has made us very disconnected. Whats funny is on consoles you actually have to pay for this privelage. Infact sometimes you have to pay for this privelage more than once i.e. Elders Scroll Online: The Game + the Game's subscription + XBL Gold. Why would anyone go out of their to avoid human contact this much yet still want to play with others ?

#20 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16991 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Being more "connected" online has made us very disconnected. Whats funny is on consoles you actually have to pay for this privelage. Infact sometimes you have to pay for this privelage more than once i.e. Elders Scroll Online: The Game + the Game's subscription + XBL Gold. Why would anyone go out of their to avoid human contact this much yet still want to play with others ?

As a dad, I noticed it's the preteens who tended to gather around the couch for local multiplayer/splitscreen. Once they reached their teens, they started demanding their own rooms, their own electronics/gadgets, their own privacy. Online gaming reinforces those demands.

Heck. My youngest is already demanding her own room. I may lose my den soon.

#21 Posted by Gue1 (11003 posts) -

always hated split-screen.

#22 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto

As a son.... Independence is a big deal...... However even when I wanted my freedom I still wanted to play games with people in the same room. You know I have a Twitter account but I never tweet anything... Its just a nice way to gather all the things I like and follow them and remain updated..... Sometimes I follow people but if they make a single tweet about "lol... Cake and Beer for Breakfast its totes awesome" then they get the boot, I reserve that feature for real friends.

I even got rid of my Facebook account and 10 "friends" in the process, If I can't see, hear, smell and touch you.... Then you're not really a friend.....

True friends engage a minimum of 3 of your senses, the best friends will let you taste them :D. Thats the friend rule..... Also It would be nice to play Gears of War splitscreen with my mom..... Its a much more powerfull bonding experience than Breast Feeding and Child Birth ! Can't say the same about Social Media and Online Multiplayer.

#23 Posted by bezza2011 (2700 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

As a dad, I noticed it's the preteens who tended to gather around the couch for local multiplayer/splitscreen. Once they reached their teens, they started demanding their own rooms, their own electronics/gadgets, their own privacy. Online gaming reinforces those demands.

Heck. My youngest is already demanding her own room. I may lose my den soon.

Don't say that I'm losing a room by the minute 1 already taking my big room and another on it's way to take my other room, I have a loft room left anymore kids and i'm f**ked lol, that's the thing tho pre teens now, I was still gaming with my mates until around 20 it was a great reason to get all together and have a laugh plaing against or with each other, this function has nearly become extinct and it basicly now makes you stay away from friends to be with friends.

#24 Edited by Motokid6 (6135 posts) -

@Gue1: How does one hate split screen?

#25 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@bezza2011

Even though I stress the importance of human contact and I have a crippling fear of dying alone.... I still have no desire to have a family of my own..... Maybe its because my family sucks.... Its nothing serious, I just hated it. So I'm never struck for having my own space..... Everything is my own space ;) .... Although I am the epitomy of untidyness and a woman in my life would make me a more respectable human being.... But damnit I'm just happier living in my own filth like an animal :( I don't ever want to be a better person.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (42322 posts) -

I don't know about this gen(as it just started), but there was plenty of couch play last gen with my Wii and 360.

#27 Posted by ConanTheStoner (6876 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Don't forget sports games. It's still the classic local MP genre on consoles....at least for me.

Haha, how could I forget. It's been a while since I've been into sports games, but those are the ultimate in your face shit talking games.

#28 Edited by bezza2011 (2700 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@bezza2011

Even though I stress the importance of human contact and I have a crippling fear of dying alone.... I still have no desire to have a family of my own..... Maybe its because my family sucks.... Its nothing serious, I just hated it. So I'm never struck for having my own space..... Everything is my own space ;) .... Although I am the epitomy of untidyness and a woman in my life would make me a more respectable human being.... But damnit I'm just happier living in my own filth like an animal :( I don't ever want to be a better person.

Hahahahahaha Good at least you have a goal in life, in a way gaming is making that choice for young gamers nowadays.

#29 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@bezza2011

I wouldn't too much.... They will realise their mistake before its too late.

#30 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6724 posts) -

local Coop is a Nintendo exclusive now ;)

ok bad joke but might aswell be true. My guess that it is partly the net, partly the amount of raw power needed to run modern games, and everyone WHO wants to play have to go buy a copy of said game each that is the issue. (Props for FC4 if it really is true what they said at e3, might be a good compromise :) )

#31 Posted by donalbane (16370 posts) -

The new Master Chief collection is the only one that comes to mind. I know they're old games technically, but there you go.

#32 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17430 posts) -

Well, nintendo still does it.

A lot of developers/publishers believe though that local co-op is dead and that online is the way to play.

#33 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7754 posts) -

Nintendo seems to have a monopolwii on that type of game play.

#34 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

Get a Wii U. much every game on it is splitscreen.

#35 Posted by parkurtommo (27575 posts) -

I think yahtzee put it quite well in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAJRw4flK40 (not in the beginning, more in the middle). Local co op is really the only advantage that consoles have over PC.

That said, local co op is very unimportant nowadays. I think people tend to be more introverted these days and more to themselves, and friendship is a different relationship now. That may just my biased observation though.

#36 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3281 posts) -

Some low-budget games still include that like Peggle 2 and Trials Fusion I think(don't know if it is split screen but I am just talking couch co-op). Then you have games like Child of Light where another player can control the fairy-like companion apparently.

So not sure if being off-topic but for me in general I do not feel like couch co-op experience is being completely neglected for the smaller games, but for some high profile games like COD I think it would take too much time or money for the developer to do it. It is just a different market today and online is where it is at, but yeah I hope the trend stops soon I still want to see that stuff in some games at least for when people come over.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

I know as you get older you can't game together with your friends..... But why don't people game together with their significant others ?

#38 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

I know as you get older you can't game together with your friends..... But why don't people game together with their significant others ?

#39 Posted by Silverbond (16115 posts) -

How did I end up in System Wars circa 2009?

#40 Posted by wolverine4262 (20059 posts) -

Im more annoyed by Ninty's reluctance to have full featured online mp in 2014.

Even if splitscreen isnt there, your friends can still take turns. If I have a friend that lives half way around the world, thats not really an option.

#41 Posted by SecretPolice (22955 posts) -

Visions and memories of the N64 four player split screen games, great times.

Also, Xbox & 360 had split screen built in to most games I remember.

#42 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@wolverine4262

Or maybe he's not really your "friend"..... He's just some guy you know who lives on the other side of the planet.... Its not really much of a loss.

#43 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

Progress is happening.

#44 Posted by wolverine4262 (20059 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

Right because proximity to a person determines whether or not you are friends. What a stupid thing to say.

#45 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4232 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Progress is happening.

Biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard.

Imagine Goldeneye without split screen and only online multiplayer. :::shudders:::

Anyone who doesn't realize this a ploy by gaming companies to push more consoles is blind. I feel bad for college kids and recent grads who have to buy multiple consoles to game with their friends. I live with siblings as roommates and it's ridiculous to expect us to buy four Xbox One's to play Titanfall together, or two PS4's to play COD together.

Anyone who doesn't lament the loss of split screen multiplayer either is younger than 25, has no friends or didn't start gaming gaming until last gen. I hope Halo 5 still has split screen.

Everyone criticizes Nintendo for all the things they do wrong, but this is one area where they are LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of Sony and MS. I'd rather talk shit to my friend in the same room after I knock him off a stage in Smash than be on a mic talking to someone who I don't know.

Nintendo got it right.

#46 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@wolverine4262

This is the part where I say "Obviously thats not what meant, you oversimplified my point" but nope.... I mean it... Long distance relationships suck.... Proximity makes a world of difference. It really does. So instead of improving multiplayer these guys should be making hardware that mimics your friends presence in the same room with you.... A virtual presence machine , like the one Sheldon had in Big Bang Theory ! Friendship is better in closer proximities.

#47 Posted by wolverine4262 (20059 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

90% of what you say on this board is pure nonsense. You do not know my circumstances or experience with long distance relationships. Stop trying to push your half baked opinions on everyone here.

#48 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@wolverine4262

Don't kid yourself you know very well you would rather have your friends near you than miles away...... still doesn't explain whats stopping you from playing with other people in your proximity..... Couch co-op with a complete stranger is miles better than online multiplayer with your best mate !

#49 Posted by wolverine4262 (20059 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Once again, trying to shove your opinion down my throat.

The world is significantly more connected today. Its not uncommon for people to become friends online. Its just a real shame that Ninty doesnt seem to value or care about those relationships.

#50 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

@wolverine4262

Because they suck ! Duh ! Its a consolation prize.... Its not what people want, its what people settle for and I'm gona shove that oppinion deep inside any and every orifice you have with no shame what so ever... Because you know it true.... ! :)