What (announced) Wii U exclusive are you looking forward to most?

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by charizard1605 (55613 posts) 5 months, 18 days ago

Poll: What (announced) Wii U exclusive are you looking forward to most? (94 votes)

Mario Kart 8 29%
Super Smash Bros. 23%
X 31%
Bayonetta 2 11%
Yoshi Yarn 0%
Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem 1%
Hyrule Warriors 3%
Sonic Boom 2%

Of the upcoming, unreleased, but conclusively announced Wii U exclusives that we know of right now, which one are you looking forward to the most? And why?

#51 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Or... it could be that you've confused sub-genres and think MK is a racing sim instead of, you know, an arcade racer.

Arcade racers are the only kind of racers that I like. It could just be that the blue shell is a shitty mechanic. Because it is.

Disagree.

#52 Edited by Life-is-a-Game (552 posts) -

X .. Mario Kart 8 .. SSB

#53 Posted by charizard1605 (55613 posts) -

Charizard officially the new Jakandasigz making 5 threads a day.

Anywho Bayonetta 2.

Please. You're just making reasons to call me out at this point.

I've been here seven times longer than Janadsigz,and you know that.

#54 Posted by charizard1605 (55613 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Smash bros isn't an exclusive

Two different games

what is the hold that Mario Kart has on people?

What exactly is your issue with it?

inb4 more fucking blue shell whining

#55 Edited by Pffrbt (6492 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Or... it could be that you've confused sub-genres and think MK is a racing sim instead of, you know, an arcade racer.

Arcade racers are the only kind of racers that I like. It could just be that the blue shell is a shitty mechanic. Because it is.

Disagree.

How is an item that does absolutely nothing to help the player using it and only serves to punish the player in first place for being good, all while being completely unavoidable and often just giving the player in second or third a lucky win not a shitty mechanic.

#56 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

I would seriously consider a Wii U if they got exclusive remakes of Resident 2, 3 and/or Code Veronica GameCube style. Will never happen so I am not looking forward to any Wii U games.

#57 Posted by mems_1224 (46291 posts) -

Meh, nothing on the Wii U interests me. Im starting to think that Nintendo home consoles just aren't for me anymore and thats really sad. I haven't enjoyed a NIntendo home console since the N64

#58 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:
@Bigboi500 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Disagree.

How is an item that does absolutely nothing to help the player using it and only serves to punish the player in first place for being good, all while being completely unavoidable and often just giving the player in second or third a lucky win not a shitty mechanic.

Because it's an arcade racer. MK has never been about pure driving and racing skill, otherwise it wouldn't have all the crazy and random power-ups. It wouldn't have spewing lava and bullet bills racing toward you, or short cuts, or trains, or water swirls, or stomping dinosaurs...

If you want to have your superior driving skills acknowledged and rewarded, play Forza or GT.

#59 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34129 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Pffrbt said:
@Bigboi500 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Disagree.

Because it's an arcade racer. MK has never been about pure driving and racing skill, otherwise it wouldn't have all the crazy and random power-ups. It wouldn't have spewing lava and bullet bills racing toward you, or short cuts, or trains, or water swirls, or stomping dinosaurs...

If you want to have your superior driving skills acknowledged and rewarded, play Forza or GT.

just because Mario Kart is an arcade racer doesn't mean we can't complain about aspects within the game that bothers us. That and practically everything you list is something that can be avoided or learned, except the bullet bill item, so they are not at all comparable to the blue shell (which IS avoidable, but to a very small extent). What makes the blue shell so irritating is that it punishes a person for being good, and thus is practically a buzzkill (much moreso than any other type of item). It would be like if some FPS game added a mechanic where your character spontaneously combusts if he gets a killing spree. It's pretty much Nintendo flipping the bird to the people that are actually the most dedicated to their friggin product. While I realize Mario kart's random nature, no other aspect within the games has such a frustrating intent or purpose behind it to me like the blue shell.

And honestly, I wouldn't even mind the blue shell if it could be turned off, or if any items could for that matter, like in Smash bros.

#60 Posted by Pffrbt (6492 posts) -

Being an arcade racer does not justify idiotic design choices that serve no purpose other than shitting on the person in the lead. There are tons of arcade racers out there that don't do this. SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed being the best example. It has all kinds of stage hazards and weapons but it always gives the player a chance to avoid something if they're good enough. This is what makes it fun and feel like a real race.

Mario Kart doesn't, which is why it generally sucks. The game will shit on you for being in the lead and then will continue to shit on you to the point that whoever wins is almost completely random. And there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to hope everyone else is either incredibly bad or is somehow having worse luck than you are.

#61 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2560 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Mario Kart 8 (duh).

It's a driving game drunk people and children can play without being terrible, unlike the highly realistic simulator-types.

As for the topic, sadly, my most anticipated Wii U title is Hyrule Warriors. It's embarrassing, I can admit that. But as console-neutral as I am, I am 100% a diehard Zelda fanboy, and anything with the Zelda name will be a day 1 purchase.

#62 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16256 posts) -

I guess it would be Smash Bros. If you asked this question a couple weeks ago, I would have said Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze hands down. That game may remain the best game the console gets in its lifetime quite honestly.

Agreed. I bought a console last year, when the NSMBU bundle launched, and I bought it with Wind Waker, 3D World, ZombiU and Pikmin. But DKC and Mario Kart were the real reasons I got one.

#63 Edited by bulby_g (1018 posts) -

Definitely X! Then probably Mario Kart for a bit of local MP fun.

#64 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8708 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Sweenix said:

Smash bros isn't an exclusive

Two different games

@Pikminmaniac said:

What exactly is your issue with it?

inb4 more fucking blue shell whining

It's mostly the rubberbanding effect of the items that really messes with the game. There's a lot of luck involved. Far more than I care for. I still enjoy the series for the time trials, but with the return of coins and the addition of gliding, I feel that things are getting worse as the games progress.

P.S. Explain to me how the blue shell isn't one of the worst ideas in gaming then... I

It helps no one and only screws up people that are succeeding. Nobody benefits from that thing so how could anyone in their right mind even remotely like it? It's pretty much impossible to defend that thing.

#65 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16545 posts) -

all of them

#66 Posted by cainetao11 (16645 posts) -

Hyrule warriors.

#67 Posted by PonchoTaco (1945 posts) -

Super Smash Bros.

Can't wait to have buddies over and play this all night!

#68 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

Mario Kart 8 all the way. Hoping E3 will have some nice reveals, GOD knows Nintendo needs it.

#69 Edited by jdc6305 (3792 posts) -

I don't have a WiiU yet I'm probably going to wait until black Friday this Nov. I'm in no hurry to run out and get one. I still have plenty of PS3 games to play for now. I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 2 the most. Although I can't wait for a Zelda or Metroid announcement.

#70 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7105 posts) -

Dat X. There aren't many details at the moment, but if it's anything like Xenoblade, I'm going to play the fuck out of it.

#71 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

You guys can complain all you like, that's your choice. Doesn't mean your right in doing so, however. Claiming it's "shitty mechanics" and that "everyone agrees it's bad" is straight up bullshit. The games sell in the millions, and there are plenty of people who are fine with the design choices.

It's kinda like going in to Titan Fall and complaining about the mechs being unfair to the soldiers on the ground. It's futile.

#72 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5228 posts) -

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

You forgot The Legend of Zelda Wii U.

#73 Posted by charizard1605 (55613 posts) -

Unannounced

#74 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5228 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Unannounced

It's as unannounced as Uncharted 4 as they said they're working on it and will show it at E3.

#75 Posted by charizard1605 (55613 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Unannounced

It's as unannounced as Uncharted 4 as they said they're working on it and will show it at E3.

Okay, but Zelda doesn't have a name, nor a release date, it actually doesn't have anything.

At least that's not the case with Uncharted.

#76 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5228 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Unannounced

Okay, but Zelda doesn't have a name, nor a release date, it actually doesn't have anything.

At least that's not the case with Uncharted.

You're right, my bad.

Still, Uncharted 4 doesn't have a release date either.

#77 Posted by blackace (20082 posts) -

None. I don't have a Wii U.

I'm looking forward to Sony & Microsoft's masterpieces whenever they come.

This ^ ^ ^, for the most part. If Nintendo ever gets the system under $200, I'll be getting Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and X first.

#78 Posted by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

SSB > X > Bayonetta > everything else.

I would be excited for FEXSMT, but we haven't seen anything.

#79 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8708 posts) -

You guys can complain all you like, that's your choice. Doesn't mean your right in doing so, however. Claiming it's "shitty mechanics" and that "everyone agrees it's bad" is straight up bullshit. The games sell in the millions, and there are plenty of people who are fine with the design choices.

It's kinda like going in to Titan Fall and complaining about the mechs being unfair to the soldiers on the ground. It's futile.

Give me at least one decent argument in support of the blue shell and I might start listening. Otherwise I can't think of one reason that such an item should exist in any game. A game should never become randomly futile. It nullifies your interaction with the game and what are video games but interactive media?

#80 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -

MK8 is my anticipated game of the year on any system.

#81 Edited by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

Project X for sure.

#82 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7105 posts) -

Good players find ways to minimize its damage though, and the complainers make it out to be worse than it actually is.

If you're that good, you should be far enough ahead to keep your lead. You can also avoid it in certain situations, or take out others when it hits you.

I agree. If you're good, you'll find a way to minimize the damage or make a comeback. I've never viewed the blue shell has an annoyance. It's just another mechanic that assists in how random and unpredictable Mario Kart is. The game isn't solely dominated by skilled players - luck factors in and this creates a more balanced experience that players of all skill levels can enjoy. You're never 100% down and out unless that's what you're trying to do. There's that chance that you can get a powerful item to bring you back up and give the guy in first a run for his money.

#83 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

The soldiers on the ground have tools for dealing with mechs and gaining a mech itself is a reward based upon skill over the other players. The blue shell is a reward for currently losing the race and the only defense against it is not to be winning.

It's like if in football the losing team is arbitrarily given free opportunities to score field goals for the sake of "giving them a fighting chance."

If your argument for a game mechanic is simply "I don't think it negatively affects anything" rather than how it enhances the gameplay then it's a game design flaw.

#84 Posted by Kuromino (1260 posts) -

Such a shame that I'm not into racing games or fighting games.

X is the one that I'm looking forward to the most. Also looking forward to Bayonetta 2.

#85 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

The soldiers on the ground have tools for dealing with mechs and gaining a mech itself is a reward based upon skill over the other players. The blue shell is a reward for currently losing the race and the only defense against it is not to be winning.

It's like if in football the losing team is arbitrarily given free opportunities to score field goals for the sake of "giving them a fighting chance."

If your argument for a game mechanic is simply "I don't think it negatively affects anything" rather than how it enhances the gameplay then it's a game design flaw.

My argument is that the game is not about pure skill. The people whining about the blue shell simply aren't very good at the game, so when they get ahead, by the smallest of margins, they get hit with the blue shell and lose. Some of us can get very far ahead, so when we get hit with it, it's inconsequential.

The devs put the blue shell in the game so that excellent players couldn't run away with the game, and give casual players a chance at victory. It's not a design flaw--it's meant to help casual players, and frustrate mediocre/good players, but simply annoy great players.

#86 Edited by Animal-Mother (26420 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Charizard officially the new Jakandasigz making 5 threads a day.

Anywho Bayonetta 2.

Please. You're just making reasons to call me out at this point.

I've been here seven times longer than Janadsigz,and you know that.

And? I can't speak my mind? Isn't what this place is about? I'm just pointing out observations that's all.

Also if you forgot the name of the place i'll remind you. It's System Wars.

Not Happy Fun Time Zone

Not the great agreement center

Not The I have to agree with what everyone says arena

Not The hey I really like what you have to say palace.

It's a place for people to have discussions. Sorry if i'm merely pointing out an observation that bothers you. Last night you had seven threads on the FP, tonight you have 4. Like I said it highly reminds me of jakandasigz. Also in the first 5 posts of this thread someone mentions to cool it with the threads. If that's not enough for you to see where i'm coming from sorry you'll just have to either reject or deal with my opinion. I'm not saying it's fact but it is my opinion after all.

Also X looks pretty solid.

#87 Posted by jg4xchamp (47102 posts) -

Bayonetta 2>Nintendo's lame ass shit.

That bow+kilgore combos, already got some ideas.

#88 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34129 posts) -

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

My argument is that the game is not about pure skill. The people whining about the blue shell simply aren't very good at the game, so when they get ahead, by the smallest of margins, they get hit with the blue shell and lose. Some of us can get very far ahead, so when we get hit with it, it's inconsequential.

The devs put the blue shell in the game so that excellent players couldn't run away with the game, and give casual players a chance at victory. It's not a design flaw--it's meant to help casual players, and frustrate mediocre/good players, but simply annoy great players.

So AT BEST the blue shell annoys players? That doesn't sound like a good mechanic to me. How is annoying players a good thing?

#89 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

So AT BEST the blue shell annoys players? That doesn't sound like a good mechanic to me. How is annoying players a good thing?

Well you're not a Nintendo developer, so you wouldn't understand what they intend for their players. EVERY game has annoying things in them, they're called enemies that give you something to fight against. Games like Titanfall have bots in it along with people to keep it from being too easy. I'd suspect the blue shell is a similar road block.

You have several options moving forward:

Get over the blue shell and play the games

Don't play Mario Kart if it's too difficult for you

Continue to complain about it on the internet and hope someone cares

#90 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Well you're not a Nintendo developer, so you wouldn't understand what they intend for their players. EVERY game has annoying things in them, they're called enemies that give you something to fight against. Games like Titanfall have bots in it along with people to keep it from being too easy. I'd suspect the blue shell is a similar road block.

The bots in Titanfall are a resource players use to acquire a Titan. They're nowhere near the same in terms of game mechanics. If players could spend coins on more powerful items in Mario Kart then that would be something comparable but it's not.

It's great if you're comfortable with the blue shell for casual play but for people looking to play Mario Kart online competitively then it should be a mechanic that is removable when queuing online, just like people who play competitive Smash Bros turn items off and only play on stages with flat surfaces. Anything else is simply too arbitrary to test actual skill.

If you don't really care for this topic anymore then agree to disagree, w/e, but using the whole "devs always know better than you" argument is bullshit logic and I know you're a bit more of an intelligent poster than that.

#91 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -

I'm into games that have mechs and if the game ends up having a good story then X is a game I am willing to play.

#92 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

The bots in Titanfall are a resource players use to acquire a Titan. They're nowhere near the same in terms of game mechanics. If players could spend coins on more powerful items in Mario Kart then that would be something comparable but it's not.

It's great if you're comfortable with the blue shell for casual play but for people looking to play Mario Kart online competitively then it should be a mechanic that is removable when queuing online, just like people who play competitive Smash Bros turn items off and only play on stages with flat surfaces. Anything else is simply too arbitrary to test actual skill.

If you don't really care for this topic anymore then agree to disagree, w/e, but using the whole "devs always know better than you" argument is bullshit logic and I know you're a bit more of an intelligent poster than that.

I just get sick and tired of people complaining, and then asking me for answers when there's no questions to be asked. I'm also tired of other posters picking up where the first one left off, then the third poster picking up where the second poster left off, and so on. I'm also tired of posters like pfrrbt trying to act like everyone agrees with his perspective, and the constant complaints (did I mention that?) and prevalent negativity.

I mean the developers work hard on these games, and the self-entitled knit pick and whine, demand change when they don't understand the reasons for decisions that are over their heads, and rarely if ever give praise.

I appreciate what you said, and normally I have a higher tolerance for these discussions, but I'm sick of getting tag-teamed relentlessly when I know my opinion and arguments are valid (not perfect).

#93 Posted by widdowson91 (1235 posts) -

From the games on that list I had to choose X, purely because of how much I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles.

#94 Posted by Pffrbt (6492 posts) -

The people whining about the blue shell simply aren't very good at the game, so when they get ahead, by the smallest of margins, they get hit with the blue shell and lose. Some of us can get very far ahead, so when we get hit with it, it's inconsequential.

What the fuck are you talking about. You can't control when you get hit by the blue shell. Whether or not you're far enough ahead when you get hit is pure chance.

#95 Posted by Pffrbt (6492 posts) -

What an amazing collection of bad arguments.

#96 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8708 posts) -

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

So the only scenario in which the blue shell is good is if you are far superior than everyone else you are playing? What if you are playing against other Mario kart players that are really good as well? Does that mean if you got together the best Mario Kart players in the world the results would be completely random because none of them can get a unbelievably huge lead on the others?

#97 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The people whining about the blue shell simply aren't very good at the game, so when they get ahead, by the smallest of margins, they get hit with the blue shell and lose. Some of us can get very far ahead, so when we get hit with it, it's inconsequential.

What the fuck are you talking about. You can't control when you get hit by the blue shell. Whether or not you're far enough ahead when you get hit is pure chance.

No. If you're got enough skill, and are lucky enough to avoid other items you can get very far ahead of the pack. Myself and plenty of other players have been hit by multiple blue shells and still manage to win regularly.

#98 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

So the only scenario in which the blue shell is good is if you are far superior than everyone else you are playing? What if you are playing against other Mario kart players that are really good as well? Does that mean if you got together the best Mario Kart players in the world the results would be completely random because none of them can get a unbelievably huge lead on the others?

We all just accept the fact that random shit happens in a game with random power ups. You can be the greatest player in the world and still lose, or the worst player and still win (on a rare occasion). That gives casuals incentive to play, and (generally) allows good players to still excel at the game. That's pretty good game design.

#99 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8708 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:
@Bigboi500 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@Bigboi500 said:

We all just accept the fact that random shit happens in a game with random power ups. You can be the greatest player in the world and still lose, or the worst player and still win (on a rare occasion). That gives casuals incentive to play, and (generally) allows good players to still excel at the game. That's pretty good game design.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still feel something that devalidates your input in a video game is a huge sin in design, but I guess that's just me. I usually am the one that's raving about Nintendo's expert game design, but this I just can't get behind.

#100 Posted by Bigboi500 (29203 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still feel something that devalidates your input in a video game is a huge sin in design, but I guess that's just me. I usually am the one that's raving about Nintendo's expert game design, but this I just can't get behind.

The Souls games' are much like that, they invalidate your input by letting other people invade your game and kill you. But yeah, I'm tired of arguing about it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.