Were Blu-Ray discs really necessary for PS3?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Agree that some Xbox 360 games needed two discs (I think LA Noire needed 4). But only one game, to my knowledge, was a Sony exclusive solely because of the disc size: Metal Gear Solid 4. It does happen to be one of my all time favorites, but it was probably the only game this gen that truly needed a blu-ray disc, rather than being an overall trend.

Clearly dual-layered discs are a necessity for next gen, but Sony's $600 promise wasn't well vindicated here.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

No but ultimately it was a good thing for the consumer. You got a blu ray player and all your games were on one disc.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It wasn't necessary, per se, but it was a nice addition, and it did have to happen eventually. It will have a far bigger impact this gen than it did last gen.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

and thats how the 360 won in the US. blu ray was pricy. since ps3 was subsized, $600 is much better for a blu ray player than 900, but most people i bet never watch blu ray on it.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

Its not just space, but what Blu-Ray technology it able to do. Also Sony had a big hand in the development of the technology and they had to support it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Necessary to win the format war...........and a detriment to PS3s marketshare

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@drekula2 said:

and thats how the 360 won in the US. blu ray was pricy. since ps3 was subsized, $600 is much better for a blu ray player than 900, but most people i bet never watch blu ray on it.

You got that backwards. It was probably used exclusively for the BR player aspect. It was evident with the poor game sales at the beginning of the gen.

MGS4 was not exclusive because it needed BR. BR had nothing to do with it going exclusive. The game disc was filled with tons and tons of uncompressed video, audio and redundant data thanks to the slow speeds of the BR drive. Not to mention the game has massive installs, so no BR wasn't needed.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jayd02

Not really. If you do some research, the Blu-Ray disc was bound to win regardless. The technology behind the disc was much better and easier to work with as compared to HD DVD. On top of the fact that it had backing from most of the major technology companies at the time. Then it was also being backed by movie companies as well.

Some icing on the cake, Microsoft is welcome to join BDA (blu ray association) but they won't join.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

at the time of the ps3 release blu-ray players were still kinda expensive so it was a good selling point and set the ps3 apart from the 360. smart move by sony if u ask me

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the entire gen was held back by the Xbox 360 but that's not gonna happen next gen since the Sony Domination is ensured.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Personally I think we need to return to flash carts or move to digital. Disks are a thing of the past.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Gue1:

You have any idea how asinine that sounds? So if the 360 held PS3 why wouldn't the XOne hold the PS4 back again? So if you believe the PS3 was held back then you must believe it was more powerful. If it was more powerful, why didn't it dominate the 7th gen? You're claiming the PS4 is going to dominate based purely on it's power so what's going to change?

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@drekula2: This ends here.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Not really thanks to the HDDs. They really saved the Xbox 360's lack of disc space and the PS3's slow blu ray read speed.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Agree that some Xbox 360 games needed two discs (I think LA Noire needed 4). But only one game, to my knowledge, was a Sony exclusive solely because of the disc size: Metal Gear Solid 4. It does happen to be one of my all time favorites, but it was probably the only game this gen that truly needed a blu-ray disc, rather than being an overall trend.

Clearly dual-layered discs are a necessity for next gen, but Sony's $600 promise wasn't well vindicated here.

But that's only viewing it from the perspective that Blueray is only wanted/needed for large games but many people used thier console as an entertainment centre to watch Bluray movies on.

ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

And that's just the cutscenes.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

My 7.1 audio system says yes.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

It was nice to get really good compromised audio in PS3 games this gen. More importantly though, it got me a super cheap blu ray player, so as a film lover I am very glad the PS3 used Blu Ray.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

that ps3 was rocking that 2x speed drive

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

The BD disc and drive is alot better tech than the old DVD drive with the high failure rates. Thanks to BD discs, all my PS3 games are still scratch free and they work. BluRay also did great things for the movie business.

I think alot of multiplats would have had more content on disc, better audio, better graphics, and bigger and more varied gameworlds if they had more space to work with. Games really got more advanced when MS allowed mandatory install on the X360. MS really screwed up by not having HDD's with every X360's sold.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It left room for better textures for first party devs.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Fact is if PS3 didn't have Bluray many people would have bought a Bluray player that then would be obsolete to them as bought the next gen consoles that do have an has multiple uses.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

that ps3 was rocking that 2x speed drive

Yup. It is a shame it was only a 2x drive, i am glad next gen is 6x.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@jayd02 said:

Not really. If you do some research, the Blu-Ray disc was bound to win regardless. The technology behind the disc was much better and easier to work with as compared to HD DVD. On top of the fact that it had backing from most of the major technology companies at the time. Then it was also being backed by movie companies as well.

Some icing on the cake, Microsoft is welcome to join BDA (blu ray association) but they won't join.

quite alot of bullshit right there.

bluray won because Sony employed the Money hat, they paid off quite a few studios to either go hd dvd+bluray or paid them millions to go bluray exclusive, fox received 120m, and warner 400 million, along with all the other studios they paid off.

There ways literally no real difference between the 2 formats except hd dvd not needed new pressing plants and the durabus coating which can be applied to any disc medium anyways, and is required on blurays unless you want your disc destroyed by even the smallest of small scratches.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
@Gue1 said:

the entire gen was held back by the Xbox 360 but that's not gonna happen next gen since the Sony Domination is ensured.

lol so much idiocy.

@Gaming-Planet said:

It left room for better textures for first party devs.

which no 1st party devs used.

I remember the days when sheens guaranteed that Infamous would have unique textures everywhere, every building could be entered, the city size would be bigger than gta 4, and every npc would be unique.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@jayd02 said:

quite alot of bullshit right there.

bluray won because Sony employed the Money hat, they paid off quite a few studios to either go hd dvd+bluray or paid them millions to go bluray exclusive, fox received 120m, and warner 400 million, along with all the other studios they paid off.

There ways literally no real difference between the 2 formats except hd dvd not needed new pressing plants and the durabus coating which can be applied to any disc medium anyways, and is required on blurays unless you want your disc destroyed by even the smallest of small scratches.

HD-DVD was basically DVD except with some fancy stuff going on to make it more efficient right? Blu ray just decreased the wavelength of the light so that you could cram more data on the disc. Blu ray seems like the better solution to me.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Nope. Hardly anything used it as far as gaming. Just another marketing gimmick used to jack up the price of the PS3.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Bluray was pretty essential. While during the Generation most Xbox 360 games only had one disc, later on it became 2, 3, or even 4 discs for just one game, while Sony maintained the 1.

Though it did cost the PS3 with load times, but Having the entire game in one disc was worth it.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Nope totally unnecessary. If they had've stuck with DVD and shipped at $100 - $150 cheaper at launch, they would've beat 360 last gen.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

It wasn't necessary, per se, but it was a nice addition, and it did have to happen eventually. It will have a far bigger impact this gen than it did last gen.

^^agreed^^

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

wasnt necessary, but it was a good thing, ps3 pretty much introduced bluray disc and now its the standard format for next gen, everything has to start somewhere..

Demonkillua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Demonkillua
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
@drekula2 said:

There were a great deal of games that required a larger data container for games this gen. Some were split between disc at the loss of few details, but Blu-Ray was able to hold together these games on a single disc. MGS4 is just one of the few example of massive sized games that took advantage of it. L.A. Noir, Final Fantasy XIII, and Dragon Age Ultimate Edition are just a few examples. Many of the Sony Exclusive titles including the ones that were originally going to be Sony exclusive, were going to take advantage of the sheer size of the disc and lastly HD collections made it onto a single disc almost every time. It may have not been entirely necessary this gen, but I do think it was worth it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#33  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@drekula2 said:

No, guy, MGS 4 didn't NEED blu ray. Tons of uncompressed video and audio shows it could have been much smaller. Lost Odyssey was on 4 discs and I don't care. It's a cry baby, fanboy complaint, that can be killed by digital download. See, NO DISCS, tah dahhh!!

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

@jayd02 said:

Disagree, the ONLY thing Blu-ray had on HD-DVD was space, nothing more. When Warner went with Blu-ray then that was the turning point of the format war.

ptflea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ptflea1
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

blu ray was made by sony so it doesnt make sence to sell ps3 with hd dvd tech from another company. also blu ray was a reason to buy a ps3 over xbox because you can play movies in hd as well without buying a blu ray player.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Considering the fact that some Xbox 360 games come with more than 1 disc, I would say yes.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

@ELJUDEZ said:

@John_Matherson said:

And that's just the cutscenes.

Yeah, but "just the cutscenes" is pretty much the whole game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cainetao11

@Cyberdot said:

Considering the fact that some Xbox 360 games come with more than 1 disc, I would say yes.

Ok, then why not go digital download 100%? See NO DISCS at all. What a joke of a complaint

Demonkillua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Demonkillua

@cainetao11 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Ok, then why not go digital download 100%? See NO DISCS at all. What a joke of a complaint

Considering the many problems with Digital Only, it's a lot better to have a disc then none at all. It's also more convenient to have one disc then more. While at times the answer is yes to digital, to go full out digital is a huge mistake. lose internet or have poor bandwidth and your HDD fails/formats there goes everything, and that's just one example.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cainetao11

@Demonkillua said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Considering the many problems with Digital Only, it's a lot better to have a disc then none at all. It's also more convenient to have one disc then more. While at times the answer is yes to digital, to go full out digital is a huge mistake. lose internet or have poor bandwidth and your HDD fails/formats there goes everything, and that's just one example.

And yet, I have over 40 games on my PS3 and 360 HDD. If I buy another PS3/360 because I had to, all my purchase info is in my PSN or Live account, so just download again. I have had no problem getting off my a$$ to change a disc, or with my digital library. I have had problems with space in my barracks room that games are taking up though. My point, if changing a disc is a problem, then your problems are solved by never having to use any discs. But lets be real, that isn't the problem if getting up bothers a person is it?

Demonkillua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Demonkillua

@cainetao11 said:

And yet, I have over 40 games on my PS3 and 360 HDD. If I buy another PS3/360 because I had to, all my purchase info is in my PSN or Live account, so just download again. I have had no problem getting off my a$$ to change a disc, or with my digital library. I have had problems with space in my barracks room that games are taking up though. My point, if changing a disc is a problem, then your problems are solved by never having to use any discs. But lets be real, that isn't the problem if getting up bothers a person is it?

Anddd... what will you do when those services go away? The current PSN and Xbox Live won't be there forever. I've got over 100 games on my HDD, but the majority of games that I actually play are on disc. I see the point you were making, and my point is that it would be a bad idea in the long run to go full digital is all.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

It basically established the medium of Blu-ray at the cost of the PS3's remaining the king of the hill.

I'm really kind of glad they did it to be honest.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Needed? No. Useful? Yep. As a consumer that was a strong selling point. Glad they included it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Gue1 said:

LMAO!! No. Gotta love bias fanboys. They are entertaining.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

No.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jayd02

@ProjectPat187:

http://www.blueboard.com/bluray/

People also liked to write in Java. People admitted that it was easier to write on HD DVD's but the Blu-rays had more capabilities so that is the format they decided to work with. Companies picked Blu-ray mainly because of its space, not because somebody payed them off. If you believe that rumor you're a fool.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It was a complimentary 3D blu ray player. Can't argue with that. Dredd looks amazing on my TV.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

There's no comparison, blu-ray all the way.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

it was good for Sony to push Bluray but was a very bad thing for the ps3 as a game console. Bluray was the main cause that the ps3's price was always so high early on. Installing games meant that it also had little advantage over DVDs from a practical gaming standpoint. You can't underestimate the importance of keeping the cost to the consumer down. It is really amazing that the ps3 managed to come as close to the 360 as it did in terms of userbase considering that Sony was using the PS3 to push other Sony tech.