We're in for a real treat graphically this gen

#1 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Now I love graphics. They can be eye candy, gorgeous and set a tone for an entire game.

If this is what graphics look like now, imagine what they'll look like by the end of the life cycle.

This isn't a Graphics king thread but more of discussion of the best looking games we've seen right now this generation and what we're possibly in for in the next 7-10 years. So if you got screens post em. I think Second son has some of the best particle effects out there and for an early next gen it looks fantastic and is just soaking in colors. Dark Souls II has flashes of just desolate nothing sometimes as well as a very eerie vibe as well. The landscapes can change from hopeful to desolate in the blink of an eye. (Modded on PC of course)

All Second Son Screen shots were pulled of MY PS4. These were made with the photo mode updated in a couple weeks ago. Just out of curiosity do any other games have modes such as this as I love turning awesome games into Wallpaper machines

#2 Edited by GotNugz (653 posts) -

games will continue to look better as the years roll by. Expect a shorter generation though like 5 or 6 years. The hardware should have been better though I was expecting 3-4 teraflop gpu power minimum.

#3 Posted by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

@GotNugz said:

games will continue to look better as the years roll by. Expect a shorter generation though like 5 or 6 years. The hardware should have been better though I was expecting 3-4 teraflop gpu power minimum.

Ya think? I mean devs utilize these hardware and as good as PC gaming looks don't they ever never really utilize all the hardware because it advances so fast?

#4 Edited by cfisher2833 (1553 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@GotNugz said:

Ya think? I mean devs utilize these hardware and as good as PC gaming looks don't they ever never really utilize all the hardware because it advances so fast?

That's not how it works. It's not like each time Nvidia or AMD releases a new line of GPUs they fundamentally change the nature of the GPUs to a point where someone who knows how to code for older ones will be lost on newer GPUs.

#5 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GotNugz said:

That's not how it works. It's not like each time Nvidia or AMD releases a new line of GPUs they fundamentally change the nature of the GPUs to a point where someone who knows how to code for older ones will be lost on newer GPUs.

Well of course not because there's a baseline for all of it. Anyways lets get on topic

#6 Edited by SolidTy (42171 posts) -

I think the game is prettier than those screens. I would recommend you zoom in on a chain he swings sometime or the clothing textures...it's a pretty game.

It's a shame the gamers can't see all the details that went into this game. I got the Platinum on this game weeks ago as I did with every Infamous game...it's a fun ride.

#7 Edited by SelfReflect (116 posts) -

Yep if you have a PS4 you are in for a real treat

The PS4 is a beast

The amount of power the PS4 offers for the price its at is simply amazing. Just bananas. Power per dollar NOTHING touches the PS4. PS4 is one of the greatest values ever, especially if you add the value of PSN+

Love my PS4

Infamous Second Son is truly stunning. Its open world, and still looks like CGI. Infamous is the best looking game in existence period. I cant even imagine what Uncharted is going to look like.

The future shines extra bright with PS4. Greatness was there when I bought it and more greatness awaits

IF YOU have an xbone though....then lol...yeah...tough luck

The xbone couldnt even do CROSS gen games at 1080p. Thats just down right pathetic

And Ryse, the game some point to as graphically impressive was extremely linear and scripted to push the graphics it did on the xbone...to boot it was still SUB HD and had frame rate issues

The xbone is proving more and more how under powered it is.

The future LOOKS awful for the xbone. Xbone is a horrible investment

The xbone is way too under powered. The fact Microsoft had the aduacity to charge 500$ for it is insane and anti-consumer to the core

#8 Edited by DeathLordCrime (141 posts) -

Pretty particle effects but I'm not sure if I dig the LOD for this game

#9 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

The issue I take is that so much emphasis is being put on graphics but a lot of the time the gameplay isn't anything we haven't seen before. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it seems to me that this place is fulled with graphics whores.

#10 Posted by lawlessx (46463 posts) -

The issue I take is that so much emphasis is being put on graphics but a lot of the time the gameplay isn't anything we haven't seen before. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it seems to me that this place is fulled with graphics whores.

exactly the reason why i haven't brought any of the next gen consoles yet. im still waiting for something to impress me in terms of gameplay

#11 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

Ya this gen is going to be great looking. I'm hoping on getting a 780ti kingpin to help run it all. I'm pumped to see where these new engines can take us.

#12 Edited by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

you are in a treat graphically every gen if you are a PC gamer.

#13 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

@lawlessx: Right? I mean the games look pretty... But none of them look like something that'd be worth 60 bucks. Not to me.

#14 Edited by SelfReflect (116 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

This just seems like a spin or damage control

The thread is about graphics NOT gameplay

Go mention gameplay in a thread thats about gameplay. This isnt that thread

Aslo, Infamous Second Son has the best graphics of any game ever , and its gameplay is amazing so your point falls flat to begin with

Games CAN HAVE BOTH. PS4 games surely will have both

However u do have a point in regards to Ryse and the xbone. Ryse has some of the worst gameplay of any AAA game in recent memory. Things look bad for the xbone

#15 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Gameplay is very important. I think we'll see similar systems for a bit of time and the indie stuff will really drive new gameplay mechanics over the years to come.

#16 Edited by SelfReflect (116 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

exactly the reason why i haven't brought any of the next gen consoles yet. im still waiting for something to impress me in terms of gameplay

I understand that point when it comes to the xbone

The xbone cant even do CROSS gen games at 1080p and thats downright PATHETIC

Xbone is insanely under powered. Its future looks bad

BUT......games like Infamous prove just how much a beast the PS4 truly is...and Infamous is a launch window game...games will look even better on PS4.....the PS4 is a legit next gen console

EDIT

I see that you said youre still waiting for games to impress you gameplay wise

what exactly are you expecting?

Gameplay thats never been done before?

If thats the case, you will be waiting forever.

#17 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Yeah I was in for a treat with the 360 and the PS3 as well..... Please stay on topic.,

#18 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2314 posts) -

Hmmm , so another topic about infamous' graphics .?

Graphics have become better on consoles but not what we had expected to be honest and it doesn't matter when gameplays are becoming shallow .

It is sad that linear games like BF4 are running at sub HD and same is rumored about Witcher 3 . I don't think this generation will define 1080p for consoles , which is sad .

#19 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Graphics have become better on consoles but not what we had expected to be honest and it doesn't matter when gameplays are becoming shallow .

General graphics appreciation dude. I've come a long way as a gamer as have many of us. Why not appreciate what we have?

#20 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

@selfreflect: Wow, someone's gotten their panties in a tizzy. Calm down you goddamn motherfucking assmunch. I see no issue with bringing up the fact that people around here focus far too much on graphics. I miss actually talking about games, so I don't see the issue here. Plus, all the hype is behind graphics but I have yet to see a game that actually impresses me with its gameplay potential.

That's all, jackass.

#21 Edited by WallofTruth (1426 posts) -

Here are some really nice screenshots of modded Crysis, GTA IV and Minecraft.

#22 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -
#23 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

Stroll for like 5 minutes in this thread. If you've got the dosh you can get the graphics now. Some examples...

#24 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: It's just disappointing to me that so many people get worked up ver a game being pretty. It seems rare that we get news (at least first news) about a game's gameplay before we get info on its graphics. That has me worried.

Take for instance, The Order. It looks pretty, and has a cool setting and what are they doing with it? Making another cinematic TPS action game.

#25 Edited by SelfReflect (116 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@selfreflect: Wow, someone's gotten their panties in a tizzy. Calm down you goddamn motherfucking assmunch. I see no issue with bringing up the fact that people around here focus far too much on graphics. I miss actually talking about games, so I don't see the issue here. Plus, all the hype is behind graphics but I have yet to see a game that actually impresses me with its gameplay potential.

That's all, jackass.

You sure do talk tough over the internet you anonymous internet loser

You also seem like your about to pop a blood vessel. Youre irrate. Youre raging. I can see you throwing your keyboard right now

This is a GRAPHICS thread so go take your self elitest gameplay shitck some where else

This thread isnt for that dickface

This is about GRAPHICS. You must be a Nintendo fanboy or xboner DOING MAD damage control

#26 Edited by charizard1605 (55659 posts) -
#28 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4539 posts) -

Yep. I'm not really into most of these early titles, but their visual fidelity has me excited for things to come. We're already off to an impressive start and in a few years we're going to see some real lookers.

And I don't know why some hermits have to be so uptight about this. This only boils over into better looking PC games in the long run as well. The better visual output we get from consoles, the less held back the games will be on PC.

As for the pretty graphics, shallow game remarks. Yes that does suck, but this has been a thing for a looooong time now. And out of all these nice looking games with crap gameplay there is always going to be the games that do justice to both. It's always been this way.

#29 Posted by SelfReflect (116 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

General graphics appreciation dude. I've come a long way as a gamer as have many of us. Why not appreciate what we have?

Seriously, whats up with people in this thread COMING into a thread about GRAPHICS just to obnoxiously bring up gameplay and complain?

Whats wrong with these people ?

#30 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Yes indeed we are in for a treat. BTW, these aren't dev bullshots, these are my own personal pics I took while playing Infamous. All I did was change the camera angle in photomode.

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (55659 posts) -

@I_can_haz: Really pretty pictures man :)

inFamous looks like a beautiful game

#32 Posted by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

@Wasdie That thread on gaf is awesome

#33 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

@selfreflect: What exactly is the issue? Without bringing up other outside topics that are related to graphics, this is basically just jerking off over pretty things.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (55659 posts) -

@selfreflect: What exactly is the issue? Without bringing up other outside topics that are related to graphics, this is basically just jerking off over pretty things.

Yo, let it go. You're talking to the most rabid fanboy in the history of this board, one who has gotten banned at least a (literal) dozen times and keeps coming back. You're not gonna get anywhere with him.

#35 Posted by farrell2k (5751 posts) -

Boy, you console owners have so much sub 1080p gaming to look forward to...

#36 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

@charizard1605: If you look above you'll see I got pretty intense. I wonder if he knows that I wasn't actually being serious.

But yes I suppose I should let it go, eh? Might go back to messing with him.

#37 Edited by The_Stand_In (370 posts) -

Infamous is the best looking game in existence period.

Lol, no.

#38 Posted by cainetao11 (16663 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I think the game is prettier than those screens. I would recommend you zoom in on a chain he swings sometime or the clothing textures...it's a pretty game.

It's a shame the gamers can't see all the details that went into this game. I got the Platinum on this game weeks ago as I did with every Infamous game...it's a fun ride.

Platinum pretty quick dude. Nice job. It is the game I want when I can afford a PS4.

#39 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

@Wasdie That thread on gaf is awesome

Yeah it is. Some of those guys are pushing 8k with those screenshots. They render at 4k or 8k and downsample. The results are absolutely stunning. It's CGI quality running in real time. It's extremely impressive.

#40 Edited by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

Some PC stuff

#41 Edited by SolidTy (42171 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Platinum pretty quick dude. Nice job. It is the game I want when I can afford a PS4.

If you enjoyed the other games, you'll dig it. Strangely, the Platinum was easier this time around because Shard Collecting was less tedious, haha.

#42 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

Yeah I was in for a treat with the 360 and the PS3 as well..... Please stay on topic.,

PC was on another level though tbh.

#44 Edited by GodspellWH (381 posts) -

#45 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Jankarcop said:

Wasn't until 2007 when the vast majority of pc gamers started upgrading to the new gpu standards with gpu's being multiple times faster.

#46 Edited by DeathLordCrime (141 posts) -
#47 Posted by lawlessx (46463 posts) -

^ arma 3

#48 Posted by wis3boi (31036 posts) -

lies, we have no gens, we got it right the first time ;)

#49 Posted by Animal-Mother (26423 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Jankarcop said:

Wasn't until 2007 when the vast majority of pc gamers started upgrading to the new gpu standards with gpu's being multiple times faster.

This guy.

#50 Edited by DeathLordCrime (141 posts) -

@lawlessx

Its a very nice looking game

Some Screenshots