"We're building Faith for a new generation."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/24/mirrors-edge-2-will-be-focussing-on-first-person-combat-says-dice-general-manager/

Mirror's Edge 2 will also be "focussing on first-person combat", says DICE general manager

"What I can say is that if the last game focussed on first-person movement, it was definitely shown in the movie here that the DICE team will be focussing on first-person combat as well, to really nail and refine that," Troedsson told CVG."

"Fans of the game will just have to wait and see until we talk more about the actual game is and the vital mechanics of it," Troedsson said. "We've shown the combat and movement now, but there's so much more to talk about. What I can say is, this is not just going to be the same game as the last one. We're building Faith for a new generation."

RIP in peace Mirrors Edge

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

So they're ruining it :(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I feel like this game is more about evading and getting rid of of your pursuers rather than stopping in the middle of platforming to do a whole "press A to awesome" move.

Oh well. As long as it's all properly optional. Doubt it though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Isn't the point to not kill people? it goes against her character? I mean the gunplay was awful in the first... but why would you enphasis it -_-;

oh right... EA... DICE... and the console audiance that only plays shallow shooters!.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#6 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

alright!!!! More FPS in Mirrors edge!!!! That will make it stand out from FPS'

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I love how negative you guys all are. They aren't going to turn it into some combat based FPS. This is just your typical PR jargon that all companies say when trying to make headlines.

The combat in Mirror's Edge was pretty weak so if you did find yourself stuck into a fight you had to battle the clunky controls which was just frustrating especially given how smooth the movement controls were. Fixing that will in no way compromise the experience and will probably make it even more fluid and fast.

The game is also going to be more open world/sandbox than the previous title. So they have yet to elaborate on that.

Mirror's Edge 2 is being built by a much smaller and more focused team than other DICE games. I believe I heard they only have a total of 37 people working on it internally while their Battlefield games have nearly 300. They aren't going to turn Mirror's Edge, their baby, into some shooting/combat game. They fought EA just to make the game in the first place and they are giving it special care.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

This game will probably end up being awful, but I will get it anyway, simply because I loved the first one.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I love how negative you guys all are. They aren't going to turn it into some combat based FPS. This is just your typical PR jargon that all companies say.

Except the negativity is kinda warranted ;)

Pretty much all franchises become mainstream as they itterate. Dead Space, RE, Splinter Cell, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Thief, just to name a few.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's no surprise that people (especially system warriors) become jaded.

They should certainly strengthen the combat elements, but there's a tangible risk that they will receive heavier emphasis.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@MlauTheDaft said:

Pretty much all franchises become mainstream as they itterate. Dead Space, RE, Splinter Cell, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Thief, just to name a few.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's no surprise that people (especially system warriors) become jaded.

They should certainly strengthen the combat elements, but there's a tangible risk that they will receive heavier emphasis.

Negativity isn't warranted at all. It's just cynical people trying to look superior by bashing anything that isn't the status quo or bashing anything that isn't 100% pure innovation.

Developers can't win. I have no idea why game developers even bother making games when their own fanbases constantly turn against them for either making a game too different than what they wanted or too similar to the last one.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PurpleMan5000

I liked how weak the combat elements were in the first game. You are a small woman running from guys with guns. Combat should be a last resort, imo, and making it easy to just take everyone out would defeat the entire point of the game, imo.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I have faith. Day one buy by default.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Dammit EA...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I liked how weak the combat elements were in the first game. You are a small woman running from guys with guns. Combat should be a last resort, imo, and making it easy to just take everyone out would defeat the entire point of the game, imo.

If you listened to their E3 video of it, they are changing her combat to be about utilizing speed and momentum to drive force into her kicks and takedowns. They are trying to make her move and fight more naturally for a woman her size. There was nothing in the videos that indicated Faith would just be brawling with people. A lot of the takedowns were coming off of sprinting jumps, bounding off of walls, or jumping down onto somebody.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

So they're ruining it :(

how can you jump to conclusions like that if the same team is designing the system? Maybe it will take a different approach to combat that works.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jebus213
@Wasdie said:

This is just your typical PR jargon that all companies say when trying to make headlines.

History says DICE PR jargon is usually telling people what they WANT to hear... This is not what people want to hear.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Negativity isn't warranted at all. It's just cynical people trying to look superior by bashing anything that isn't the status quo or bashing anything that isn't 100% pure innovation.

Developers can't win. I have no idea why game developers even bother making games when their own fanbases constantly turn against them for either making a game too different than what they wanted or too similar to the last one.

I actually agree with you, but that's pretty much humanity in a nutshell. the Youtube comment sections are cesspools regardless of the topics.

I expect that it's mostly just trolling in sw, but things generally quickly turn sour when people can't be held directly accountable. The dying optimist in me however, tends to think that the fans often mean "EA" when they say "Dice".

Don't let it get to you man ;) Sentiments like these pretty much killed my programming career before it ever took off.

Edit:

Excuse my rather poorly worded initial post. English is a secondary language and I did'nt get any sleep last night.

(Constructive) criticism is warranted, hateful comments and negativity are definitely not; especially not in the entertainment industry.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Lol at RIP Mirror Edge or they ruining it. Nailing and refining the combat could mean bringing it up with the parkour in pace, as said before that they are utilizing speed and momentum more.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Isn't the point to not kill people? it goes against her character? I mean the gunplay was awful in the first... but why would you enphasis it -_-;

oh right... EA... DICE... and the console audiance that only plays shallow shooters!.

I hated mandatory combat sections with machine-gunners near the end of the original. To make matters worse, they had infinite ammo and never reloaded!!!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Wasdie said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

I actually agree with you, but that's pretty much humanity in a nutshell. the Youtube comment sections are cesspools regardless of the topics.

I expect that it's mostly just trolling in sw, but things generally quickly turn sour when people can't be held directly accountable. The dying optimist in me however, tends to think that the fans often mean "EA" when they say "Dice".

Don't let it get to you man ;) Sentiments like these pretty much killed my programming career before it ever took off.

Edit:

Excuse my rather poorly worded initial post. English is a secondary language and I did'nt get any sleep last night.

(Constructive) criticism is warranted, hateful comments and negativity are definitely not; especially not in the entertainment industry.

I think developers should just make the game they want to make, not listen to feedback during the development process, and hope for the best. At the same time, they really shouldn't come out and criticize a beloved game that they made and say that they are going to fix something that lead in large part to their previous title being great. If it ends up being as Wasdie described, then fine. As I said, I loved the first game so DICE has earned a purchase from me for Mirror's Edge 2. There is a fine line between improving the combat and completely ruining everything that made the first game great, though. If it gets to the point that you can easily disarm people and take out large groups, this game could turn into Mirror's Creed very quickly. It makes sense that fans of the original would be worried about this.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jebus213

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think developers should just make the game they want to make, not listen to feedback during the development process

What are you talking about? They already do that...

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@Wasdie: do you honestly expect that a fan base of thousands, if not millions will have the same opinion or want the same thing?

Game makers knows that a game is made for a group of people with different preference, not a for a fan base with the exact same taste. They know they can't please everybody so they do what they think is best.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000

@Jebus213 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think developers should just make the game they want to make, not listen to feedback during the development process

I was mostly referring to Wasdie's "Developers can't win" comment. I don't think developers should be seeking consumer feedback in the first place. They know how to make games, and their consumers don't. If they do a good job, the game will sell well and they will be rewarded handsomely.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jebus213
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Jebus213 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I was mostly referring to Wasdie's "Developers can't win" comment. I don't think developers should be seeking consumer feedback in the first place. They know how to make games, and their consumers don't. If they do a good job, the game will sell well and they will be rewarded handsomely.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

You want them to make games while not knowing what their consumers want. Okay.... Lets see how that works out in todays generation.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000

@Jebus213 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Jebus213 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

You want them to make games while not knowing what their consumers want. Okay.... Lets see how that works out in todays generation.

How many people were crying out for a first person platformer where you are a total wimp and run away from all the people with guns? I don't think any people were, yet Mirror's Edge was made and it was great.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Bigger tits confirmed.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Dunno why my taste is different than others. I only enjoyed the non combat (platforming) part of the first Mirror's Edge.

Anyway, I got used to having my favorite franchises ruined for my taste (Colin McRae to Dirt, MK2 to MK3, etc..). So I don't know.. let's see. I hope they won't add too much combat.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jebus213
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Jebus213 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Jebus213 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

How many people were crying out for a first person platformer where you are a total wimp and run away from all the people with guns? I don't think any people were, yet Mirror's Edge was made and it was great.

Lets see....2008?

There were tons of advertisements and the commercial ran on TV for months and the main song was great. Also the graphics and art style looked great and very appealing at that time. The game was released only a couple years after parkour got especially popular outside of France and other western European countries. When you look at Mirrors Edge how would a game like this not look appealing?

So yeah, if they don't look for direct feedback they usually go off of what they know or what they think appeals to the masses.

It's about money, they're a business, they don't pull shit out of their asses and sell it which is what you think they should do.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Combat is first game was awful, hope they improve that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I love how negative you guys all are. They aren't going to turn it into some combat based FPS. This is just your typical PR jargon that all companies say when trying to make headlines.

The combat in Mirror's Edge was pretty weak so if you did find yourself stuck into a fight you had to battle the clunky controls which was just frustrating especially given how smooth the movement controls were. Fixing that will in no way compromise the experience and will probably make it even more fluid and fast.

The game is also going to be more open world/sandbox than the previous title. So they have yet to elaborate on that.

Mirror's Edge 2 is being built by a much smaller and more focused team than other DICE games. I believe I heard they only have a total of 37 people working on it internally while their Battlefield games have nearly 300. They aren't going to turn Mirror's Edge, their baby, into some shooting/combat game. They fought EA just to make the game in the first place and they are giving it special care.

I loved the original. To the point of calling it my "game of the generation".

Any indication to me that they are going for "mainstream appeal" is going to cause me to be very cynical and negative. I won't judge till I get the final product, but still, this isn't very encouraging.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Can we have killstreaks? I think it'd be great if after killing 10 enemies they let you call an AC130 to clean the path

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wasdie  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:

I loved the original. To the point of calling it my "game of the generation".

Any indication to me that they are going for "mainstream appeal" is going to cause me to be very cynical and negative. I won't judge till I get the final product, but still, this isn't very encouraging.

It's not encouraging that they are going to spend some time focusing on making sure the combat is up to par with the movement mechanics?

Just re-watch the E3 video they showed of their prototypes. It's clear they aren't changing the focus of the game to combat, but rather trying to make the combat work better with the movement mechanics in the game. In Mirror's Edge you almost always had to come to a stop to engage in combat and it was very clunky. This would just frustrate me as there were times combat was unavoidable and the combat had an entirely different feel than the rest of the game.

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#33 XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

As long as I enjoy it as much as I did the first, they can do whatever they want to it.