We need more "Classy" Video Games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

The reason why the gaming industry has a bad reputation among the adult population, is due to how uncivilized and stupid video games are today. They are filled with linear FPS action games with no sense of story or emotion at all.

I'm not saying we should completely get rid off these games, but we need an alternative, and as of right now. We don't have an alternative.

We need more games like "(Old School) Final Fantasy" or Games based of movies like "The Phantom of the Opera" "legend of the fall" Why are we forced to play dumbed down action games? Why are video game creators so afraid of making us feel something? the only game to do this recently is the last of us, but how many times do we get a last of us? Only once.

I mean, who would honestly sit them self through a battlefield 4 campaign? it's worse than torture.

#2 Posted by lamprey263 (22438 posts) -

Final Fantasy is classy? News to me.

#3 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3233 posts) -

We need more games like DOA Xtreme 2. Boobies!

#5 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Holy shit your threads are incredibly stupid and awful.

So are your posts, Yet i don't point that out.

Oh wait. I did.

#6 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

I'm talking about the Old school Final Fantasy Games, such as FF6 or FF9

the new ones are horrible.

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (45773 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

Oh wait. I did.

Right, because your posts are sooooo good.....wait, they aren't.

#8 Posted by mems_1224 (45773 posts) -

To uneducated weebos it is apparently. lol

#9 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

Oh wait. I did.

Right, because your posts are sooooo good.....wait, they aren't.

I don't care. I'm trying to bring up a point here. The gaming industry has stooped to a new low, and if you don't agree with that, then scram.

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

You don't have any examples where the class goes beyond cutscenes ? Because there sure aint nothing classy about Final Fantasy and TLOU's gameplay. Unless if you just want the industry just to seem classy.

#11 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Let's just forget the emotional impact the Final Fantasy 6 or 9 or even 7 had on people.

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (42658 posts) -
#13 Posted by mems_1224 (45773 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Let's just forget the emotional impact the Final Fantasy 6 or 9 or even 7 had on people.

Plenty of games still have an emotional impact. In fact there are probably more games that do that now more than ever.

#14 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6192 posts) -

We need more games like DOA Xtreme 2. Boobies!

I agree. Very classy.

#15 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Plenty of games still have an emotional impact. In fact there are probably more games that do that now more than ever.

I'm not discrediting those games though. I am only calling out games like battlefield/gta/call of duty, those games are what's wrong with the gaming industry.

#16 Edited by mems_1224 (45773 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

@lamprey263 said:

I'm not discrediting those games though. I am only calling out games like battlefield/gta/call of duty, those games are what's wrong with the gaming industry.

Whats wrong with the industry exactly? There is something for everyone now.

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (6880 posts) -

Buy a pc.

#18 Posted by Elpresador-911 (156 posts) -

tc likes men

#19 Posted by lostrib (31672 posts) -
#20 Edited by edwardecl (1788 posts) -

I do agree to some extent though, there needs to be games with deeper stories, Silent Hill 1 & 2 are the best examples I can think of for emotional impact.

Final Fantasy was far too Japanese for me to understand half of it, I've played them from 7 - 10 (did not finish 13 because it was crap). Stories didn't seem all that great, good games though well apart from 13.

A serious version of GTA might be cool though. The constant making fun of things does seem to get old after a while.

#21 Edited by lostrib (31672 posts) -
#22 Edited by foxhound_fox (86922 posts) -

Revengeance is excessively classy.

Dat sombrero.

#23 Edited by Blabadon (25213 posts) -

Yes, as a medium, video games are shit at displaying classier moments. I agree. Even our mos compelling narratives are filled with violence.

I don't know how the old FFs were, but some sort of eloquent display would be more than welcome.

#24 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

PC is what you're looking for.

@Sweenix said:

We need more games like "(Old School) Final Fantasy" or Games based of movies like "The Phantom of the Opera" "legend of the fall" Why are we forced to play dumbed down action games? Why are video game creators so afraid of making us feel something? the only game to do this recently is the last of us, but how many times do we get a last of us? Only once.

#25 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

Classy you say? Doesn't get classier than this.

#26 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6192 posts) -

Classy you say? Doesn't get classier than this.

GOTY 2013

#27 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15794 posts) -

I play a lot of FSX (and other flight sims). I doubt it has a bad reputation among the adult population. In fact, I believe most who play it are all adults. Lockheed-Martin had to had its own customized version of FSX called Prepar3D.

http://www.prepar3d.com/

#29 Posted by lostrib (31672 posts) -
#30 Posted by Elpresador-911 (156 posts) -
#31 Edited by lostrib (31672 posts) -
#32 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12815 posts) -

Super Punch Out: she's gettin" an abortion. Placenta Wars.

I'd buy a WiiU.

#33 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8155 posts) -

Final Fantasy classy? But what can you expect from Sweenix who's probably never played a single decent game in his lifetime. Even SNIPER had more class. That being said he's right nonetheless. There are plenty of classy indie games, though. However, in the mainstream world they're hard to come by. I think video games are superior entertainment form but inferior art form.

#34 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3633 posts) -

Maybe they will make an Anchorman 2 game... "You stay classy planet earth."

#35 Posted by Heil68 (42675 posts) -

Get the PS4, we all know SONY is synonymous with world class gmaing.

#36 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

Bravely Default is coming out on the 3DS next month, which is like the old school Final Fantasy games but with a modern twist. Yet another amazing game the PC is going to miss out on.

#37 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Okay, I'm officially calling it: Games Can't Have Class, atleast not without Leeching it from other Classy mediums.

#38 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8592 posts) -

I feel like the best way to have video games taken seriously is for them to advance and push forward in what makes them unique from other media. Aspects such as gameplay and player interaction should be the major focus. If there is a story, tell it through your actions and the level design around you.

For that reason I believe Metroid Prime is one of our strongest uses of the medium. It's all player interaction and immersion. It's you and the world and you have to make sense of it all.

#39 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3371 posts) -

Play Catherine, that game really goes in depth on psychological relationships and libido.

#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

@ Pikminmaniac

EXACTLY !

Can you believe TC's 1st choice was Final Fantasy ? Its just wrong

#41 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16404 posts) -

I think there's enough variety in the game genres available. Sure if all you pay attention to is what's heavily advertised then yeah games look pretty dumb. but there are plenty of "mature" games out there to balance out the "stupid" ones.

#42 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

I know what you mean by "classy" and not really we don't. This thread stinks of inferiority complex. You're trying to appeal to a group of people that would never take gaming seriously anyway. That old fart that still thinks gaming is just super mario and shrugs the moment he hears the word "video game". He knows nothing about games and appealing to him results in shallow movie games that focus on muh feelings, daughter/wife simulators.

There is no need for this begging, video games are the biggest entertainment industry in the world already. Matters little what some old fart thinks.

#43 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

@ edidili

Don't forget the Cutscenes !

#44 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@mems_1224 said:

Oh wait. I did.

Pretty accurate.

#45 Edited by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

If you're looking for developers taking risks with themes, storytelling, mechanics and whatever, then you're doing it wrong if you're only searching amongst AAA titles.

#46 Posted by TheEroica (13035 posts) -

We need more of this to achieve classy...