we can add another embarrassing moment in Xbone pocket

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

because a 5 year old cracked Xbone live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26879185

"Xbox password flaw exposed by five-year-old boy

A five-year-old boy who worked out a security vulnerability on Microsoft's Xbox Live service has been officially thanked by the company.

Kristoffer Von Hassel, from San Diego, figured out how to log in to his dad's account without the right password.

Microsoft has fixed the flaw, and added Kristoffer to its list of recognised security researchers.

In an interview with local news station KGTV, Kristoffer said: "I was like yea!"

The boy worked out that entering the wrong password into the log-in screen would bring up a second password verification screen.

Kristoffer discovered that if he simply pressed the space bar to fill up the password field, the system would let him in to his dad's account.

"I got nervous. I thought he was going to find out," Kristoffer told television station, KGTV.

"I thought someone was going to steal the Xbox."

Free games

Dad Robert - who works in security - sent details of the flaw to Microsoft.

In a statement, the company said: "We're always listening to our customers and thank them for bringing issues to our attention.

"We take security seriously at Xbox and fixed the issue as soon as we learned about it."

Kristoffer's name now appears on a page set up to thank people who have discovered problems with Microsoft products.

The company also gave him four free games, $50 (£30), and a year-long subscription to Xbox Live."

SW told me this only happens with PSN a 5 year old just saved MS!

here 5 year old get some free cookies LMAO MS

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Did Sony thank those hackers who exposed the security flaw in PSN that let millions of customers data (held in plain text no less!) walk out of the door?

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lglz1337

@juarbles: lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Ya. .. cows shouldn't talk about this

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Odd to see so many defend security flaws that they undoubtedly have their account tied into....

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

bu bu bu LIVE is so much more securez!!!111

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

InB4CowCircleJerk

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Heil68 said:

LOL Lemmings.

They should learn about the best and most secure platform for gaming:

PC

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Irony.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

One word..... Geohotz

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Heil68 said:

LOL Lemmings.

They should learn about the best and most secure platform for gaming:

PC

Yeah they get hacked as well.....

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Odd to see so many defend security flaws that they undoubtedly have their account tied into....

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Live wasnt hacked or compromised though.....

Maybe a coding flaw.........but the service is secure.

Only his dads account couldve been compromised..........not 70 million.

And the boy was logging in online so his dad probably had saved passwords enabled (which is likely the flaw that MS is talking about, you shouldnt have the option to save passwords there)

Not the same as the PSN hack.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@underdog123x said:

Let me know when Xbox Live goes down for a month and when they get their credit card information stolen, or in the case of 90% of Playstation gamers, their parents credit card.

PSN didn't went down sony took it down to investigate on a service that was FREE..

90% of the playstation gamers is a number pulled from deep deep down your a$$..lol The PS3 didn't have a 90% online penetration...lol

And PSN didn't require a credit card either..lol I didn't have one a simple PSN card do.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@tormentos said:

@underdog123x said:

Let me know when Xbox Live goes down for a month and when they get their credit card information stolen, or in the case of 90% of Playstation gamers, their parents credit card.

PSN didn't went down sony took it down to investigate on a service that was FREE..

90% of the playstation gamers is a number pulled from deep deep down your a$$..lol The PS3 didn't have a 90% online penetration...lol

And PSN didn't require a credit card either..lol I didn't have one a simple PSN card do.

At the time of the outage, with a count of 77 million registered PlayStation Network accounts,[7] it was one of the largest data security breaches in history.[8][9] It surpassed the 2007 TJX hack which affected 45 million customers.[10] Government officials in various countries voiced concern over the theft and Sony's one-week delay before warning its users.

Still effected 77 million users making it the biggest breach of all time tomatoes.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lglz1337

@FastRobby: i could so there goes your statement

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

because a 5 year old cracked Xbone live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26879185

"Xbox password flaw exposed by five-year-old boy

A five-year-old boy who worked out a security vulnerability on Microsoft's Xbox Live service has been officially thanked by the company.

Kristoffer Von Hassel, from San Diego, figured out how to log in to his dad's account without the right password.

Microsoft has fixed the flaw, and added Kristoffer to its list of recognised security researchers.

In an interview with local news station KGTV, Kristoffer said: "I was like yea!"

The boy worked out that entering the wrong password into the log-in screen would bring up a second password verification screen.

Kristoffer discovered that if he simply pressed the space bar to fill up the password field, the system would let him in to his dad's account.

"I got nervous. I thought he was going to find out," Kristoffer told television station, KGTV.

"I thought someone was going to steal the Xbox."

Free games

Dad Robert - who works in security - sent details of the flaw to Microsoft.

In a statement, the company said: "We're always listening to our customers and thank them for bringing issues to our attention.

"We take security seriously at Xbox and fixed the issue as soon as we learned about it."

Kristoffer's name now appears on a page set up to thank people who have discovered problems with Microsoft products.

The company also gave him four free games, $50 (£30), and a year-long subscription to Xbox Live."

SW told me this only happens with PSN a 5 year old just saved MS!

here 5 year old get some free cookies LMAO MS

MS has an entire page dedicated to people who over the years discovered security flaws. This isn't new, only its the kids age that's the story. There is no such thing as a perfect security system for online transactions/accounts. There never will be. Companies are constantly updating and patching and learning about what flaws can be exploited. Kudos to the kid though.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@lglz1337: a security flaw within the closed system (i.e. logging into another person's account from the same XBox) is a little different than a network security breach.

Cows...

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Did Sony thank those hackers who exposed the security flaw in PSN that let millions of customers data (held in plain text no less!) walk out of the door?

Yeah, lets compare a 5 year old just adding spaces to gain access to "secured" accounts to an army of elite hackers that costed Sony a hell of a lot of money. Sony should be thanking those hackers for giving them financial and PR hell. /s

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#26 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

This sounds so fake.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@underdog123x said:

This 5 year old has just proven that he's more intelligent than the entire Playstation fanbase

lol

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Heil68 said:

lol TLHBO

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@tormentos said:

@underdog123x said:

lol it went down it doesn't matter the source it was down and for like 90 days at that the service as a whole wasn't up for 90 days+

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol I can't believe sheens are trying to tout.

1. its a coding flaw in the interface xbox live wasn't hacked.
2. the person that found it out him and his father turned it in.
3. before this was even posted or the story was published Microsoft had fixed the exploit.
4. the kid and dad get free games and a year of xbox live far more than what sony gave their users lies over a week, and 90 days over all of down time.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@juarbles said:

It makes sense since the xbone target audience are 4 year olds (like the challenge level of every xbone game proves) they probably didn't realize that a 5 year old could outsmart them.

it was his dads xbox kuraimen

I wonder if he realizes he can use his old account.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@clyde46 said:

they didn't do it to help them though. Those hackers even put the info on torrent sites....

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

this just proves that all xbots are little kids,

@WilliamRLBaker@StormyJoe commented so kindergarden mustve ended early for them (held back?)

still waiting on @FreedomFreeLife@FoxbatAlpha and @blackace to get out school,

get at me on your leap pads lemmings!!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

3. before this was even posted or the story was published Microsoft had fixed the exploit.

4. the kid and dad get free games and a year of xbox live far more than what sony gave their users lies over a week, and 90 days over all of down time.

i can't believe you're still trying to make sheens a thing

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

One word..... *FailOverflow

Geohot didn't do shit. He just took FailOverflow's hack and made it public.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@lostrib said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

i can't believe you're still trying to make sheens a thing

Millhouse is a meme

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@juarbles said:

@misterpmedia said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Lems are apologists to anything bad about the xbone. It's a case of stockholm syndrome for the feeble minded.

Really? Does "p2p online should always be free" "I'll gladly pay Sony for p2p" dude you morons are such hypocrites it's not even funny. I swear you could throw a lump of shit into a brown paper bag, slap a PS logo on it and cows would call it the greatest lump of shit ever created. Once you're done praising Sony for such a wonderful bag of shit, I'd like to introduce you to kettle.

Cows, the jokes of SWs

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:

@juarbles said:

@misterpmedia said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Lems are apologists to anything bad about the xbone. It's a case of stockholm syndrome for the feeble minded.

Really? Does "p2p online should always be free" "I'll gladly pay Sony for p2p" dude you morons are such hypocrites it's not even funny. I swear you could throw a lump of shit into a brown paper bag, slap a PS logo on it and cows would call it the greatest lump of shit ever created. Once you're done praising Sony for such a wonderful bag of shit, I'd like to introduce you to kettle.

Cows, the jokes of SWs

Actually the jokes of SWs is anyone that ignores negatives about their brand and ignores positives about the other. Which is most of SW actually. Brand loyalty for the sake of brand loyalty is silly.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StormyJoe

@killatwill15 said:

this just proves that all xbots are little kids,

@WilliamRLBaker@StormyJoe commented so kindergarden mustve ended early for them (held back?)

still waiting on @FreedomFreeLife@FoxbatAlpha and @blackace to get out school,

get at me on your leap pads lemmings!!

And how many accounts were hacked as a result of this bug? How many millions of people had their personal information stolen? Oh yeah, one father.

Cows...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@StormyJoe: You actually don't know that. And why defend security flaws? It was what it was. Hopefully it's fixed now. But don't excuse it for one and lambast another. Double standards blow.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StormyJoe

@LJS9502_basic said:

@StormyJoe: You actually don't know that. And why defend security flaws? It was what it was. Hopefully it's fixed now. But don't excuse it for one and lambast another. Double standards blow.

I wasn't defending the flaw itself, I was merely stating that comparing this issue with the PSN hack is ridiculous.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kingtito

@juarbles said:

@kingtito said:

@juarbles said:

@misterpmedia said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Cows, the jokes of SWs

Lol Sony gives a bunch of recent games with the service, you dumb lems were getting ripped off for a whole gen and continue to and don't even notice it. The Sony service actually is worth it but since you lems have a low standards mentallity that's all you understand and MS knows it.

Yeah sure kid. You get games for "free" for a fee that Sony chooses for you. Once you stop paying for this service those"free" games go away.

As I've said you cows would love a bag of shit if Sony slapped it's logo on it.

Cows are nothing but jokes in SWs.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingtito

@LJS9502_basic said:

@kingtito said:

@juarbles said:

@misterpmedia said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Cows, the jokes of SWs

Actually the jokes of SWs is anyone that ignores negatives about their brand and ignores positives about the other. Which is most of SW actually. Brand loyalty for the sake of brand loyalty is silly.

Ummm ok but what does that have to do with what that moron juarbles is saying?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kingtito said:

Ummm ok but what does that have to do with what that moron juarbles is saying?

I was replying to you...not jarbles. I didn't read his post. Just no high road in SW when one is so fiercely brand loyal they lose a grasp on reality....wouldn't you say?

SW has always amused me because of that. I remember some dude Alex and his posts about the graphics for grass when the PS2/Xbox era was going on. Nothing really changed.

Just the players. I've always played on all the consoles. Prior to that...I'll admit to being a Sega fan. Now...if a console has the games....I'll get it. Never at launch though.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

lol it went down it doesn't matter the source it was down and for like 90 days at that the service as a whole wasn't up for 90 days+

It was sony who took it down. And i was playing online on 25 days again so was US and EU.

The network was take down on 20th of April 2011 and back up in May 15 2011 just 25 days.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/06/playstation-store-is-back-up-and-running-after-more-than-1-month-down.html

The store was up by June 2,which is basically 42 or 43 days.? Far from your whole 90+ days latter,oh wait you are using your old ass argument you use back then,which is based on Japan store,which i already shoot down years ago,Japan suffer a Tsunami back then so it wasn't a PSN fault that it took longer to get up running when PSN went down on Japan already many millions of gamers could not access PSN because of the March tsunami you red bearded hillbilly.

Funny fact is that even that PSN was hack it is actually xbox live who has more complains about stolen accounts,money spent,theft...

http://kotaku.com/5504145/xbox-live-directors-account-hacked-are-you-next/all

Even Major nelson account was hack...lol

@FastRobby said:

And nobody could play online, what a superb service...

On a free service...

Sony put a 1 million dollar policy which no one claimed.

Sony gave 2 games + access to PSN + for people.

Pretty good if you ask me what MS gave to those who get their accounts stolen.?

@Animal-Mother said:

At the time of the outage, with a count of 77 million registered PlayStation Network accounts,[7] it was one of the largest data security breaches in history.[8][9] It surpassed the 2007 TJX hack which affected 45 million customers.[10] Government officials in various countries voiced concern over the theft and Sony's one-week delay before warning its users.

Still effected 77 million users making it the biggest breach of all time tomatoes.

Really it affected 77 million users.? I wonder how hell that was possible... Because on April 20 2011 the PS3 was 50 million units sold,not 77 not only that even if 77 million units would have been sold that would imply a 100% penetration of online user base on PS3 which isn't correct either.

The PS3 let you have multiple accounts,many people have 1 for US,1 EU and 1 Japan you can create an account for Japan even if you live on US.

So i would dare that some 20+ million maybe got affected,but 77 million is a joke,never reflected the reality.

Also since PSN doesn't require credit cards most people use PSN cards,and the other biggest story teller is that you don't saw millions upon millions of costumers claiming to be hack,in fact more people still complain about having their xbox live account hack that those on PSN,and on xbox 360 there was even a damn black market for those cards that were stolen.

http://kotaku.com/5504145/xbox-live-directors-account-hacked-are-you-next/all

Is a sad day when Major nelson claim live is a secure place,and his account get hacked..But but weak password..lol

@underdog123x said:

90% was more of an exaggeration but that's probably still too complicated a concept for your dumbass to grasp.

The service went down, weather Sony took it down or not is irrelevant, dumbass Playstation fans couldn't play online for nearly a month.

Nice attempt at rationalizing

No actually i grasped it very fast reason why i told you,that you pulled it from deep deep down your a$$..lol

Sony took it down and look at it on the bright side,at least we could play offline what the fu** could you play when your 360 RROD and was on repairs for a month..lol

Oh by the way is a free service which people got games for the problems and PSN+ access as well,not bat for my inconvenience,now what do you get when your account get stolen on xbox live.?

Oh yeah MS give you sh** and lock your account for investigation for as long as they like.

When Xbox Live user Jason Coutee found his account had been hacked and 8,000 Microsoft Points ($100) purchased, he contacted Microsoft only to be told the points could not be refunded. An offer to lock down his account for 30 days so an investigation could take place (a common practice in these situations) was turned down by Coutee, who chose to make use of his professional experience as a network infrastructure manager to conduct an investigation himself.

http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-com-security-loophope-hacks

Yeah nothing happen with my account nothing was stolen nothing was spend and i got 2 free games and a taste of PSN+,regardless of PSN or live if your account get hacked you are going to get a lock account and yeah 30 days without playing online for you on xbox live.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Lol

Sony: hacker by actual hackers.

Microsoft: hacked accidentally by a 5 year old.

Nintendo: Safest online service. B)