Watch Dogs (Wii U) | Delayed, Not Canceled

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (13017 posts) -

The Wii U version of Watch Dogs has been delayed, Ubisoft has confirmed.

The title is still on track to launch on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC between April and June 2014, with the Wii U version following at a later date.

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com following the announcement, a Ubisoft spokesperson said:

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

Source

--

Releasing it after all the other versions is just asking it to bomb, but I guess that would happen either way. Anyways, at least Ubisoft has finally given an answer about the game's status.

Thoughts, System Wars?

#2 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

Just put it out of its misery

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (38773 posts) -

Lovely.

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26142 posts) -

Which is the last thing the Wii U needs right now (well, one of the things).

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Which is the last thing the Wii U needs right now (well, one of the things).

I am sure Watch Dogs will help the Wii U's performance in the marketplace.

#6 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Get the oddest feeling it'll just get cancelled, they haven't given any reason why it's being delayed if the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are coming out still on schedule.

Unfortunately I feel like the game would have crappy sales on the Wii U anyway despite how good it'll likely be, so I could understand them just sacking it.

#7 Edited by Slashkice (13017 posts) -

Get the oddest feeling it'll just get cancelled, they haven't given any reason why it's being delayed if the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are coming out still on schedule.

Unfortunately I feel like the game would have crappy sales on the Wii U anyway despite how good it'll likely be, so I could understand them just sacking it.

They did give a reason - sales. The PS360 versions are still expected to make bank, so they're not getting resources pulled from development like the Wii U version.

#8 Edited by Chozofication (2733 posts) -

I think it's just going to get canned at some point. If it isn't already. There probably hasn't been much effort put into it like the AC ports.

#9 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

The fact that they're doing this with just one console even though its coming out on time on all the others makes me suspicious that they will be quietly dropping it later when they can get away with it. You might not hear about it except for questions about its status from hereon.

#10 Edited by _Matt_ (8842 posts) -

Well that sucks for Wii U only owners.

Any guesses on the release for Wii U?

It's odd that that is the only version getting delayed further.

#11 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3385 posts) -

No idea why anyone would want it cancelled.

#12 Edited by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -
#13 Posted by Willy105 (24499 posts) -

Delaying it would mean almost the exact same fate as if it was cancelled, since no one will buy it if it's already out for other systems. They want the title to fail.

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (29149 posts) -

Ubi should have just cancelled the inferior PS3 and 360 versions to focus on current gen.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

hahahhaa

WiiU DOA

#16 Posted by Animal-Mother (26420 posts) -

Man the Wii-U Cannot catch a break

#17 Posted by osan0 (12597 posts) -

i think one thing nintendo need to take away from this gen when it comes to 3rd parties is dont ever rely on them. partner up with them to make exclusive content, sure. you pay them money they make you content.

but dont ever rely on them.

nintendo should also be absolutley kicking themselves over this. from their perspective watchdogs has one fatal flaw...nintendo are not making it so its not exclusive.

if this was made by nintendo, shown at E3 and lauched with the wiiu i honestly think the wiiu would be in a far stronger position now. using the gamepad to hack and manipulate everything around you would make an excellent killer app for the wiiu.

alas they are not making it and the wiiu is being treated as an also ran for the one game that could have shifted hardware.

perfectly understandable from ubisoft though. times a crunching...priorties have to be set.

#18 Edited by aroxx_ab (9220 posts) -

Lol at Ubisoft, they delay Rayman Legends for WiiU 6months so they can release it on all platforms same time... but but when WiiU version need more time, does the other platforms get delayed? nope:P

#19 Edited by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

Go wii u!

#20 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4142 posts) -

a sensible decision by ubisoft. but it certainly does not help the wii u.

#21 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

I fully support ubisoft in this. It's clearly "best for business".

#22 Posted by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2077 posts) -

I see, they're being consistent and doing it just like with Rayman Legends, delaying the game so everyone gets it at the same time. Oh wait.

#23 Edited by super600 (30152 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

No idea why anyone would want it cancelled.

To use this as another reason to talk about the console negatively even though ther console has it's strengths and weaknesses.

#24 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13132 posts) -

The WiiU needs a firing squad.

#25 Posted by silversix_ (13920 posts) -

i feel sorry for those who may be waiting months to get the inferior (significantly inferior) version

#26 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2560 posts) -

@Chozofication: AC looked pretty great on the WIi U compared to the ps3/360 versions. They've stated Watch Dogs will be similar in that area.

#27 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@super600: What strengths? Ancient technology for an inflated price, with few games available and fewer coming out past archaic franchises? What strengths?

#29 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: archaic franchises that remain some of the best in their genres. Yeah totally not worthy of merit

#30 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: A fantasy. The only genre Nintendo can still claim to be the best at is 3D platformers.

Shoving mario into football boots or a go kart doesn't fool anybody any more.

#32 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: you'd think after all the quality games nintendo pumped out last year across the 3ds and wii u that people would stop spewing this nonsense.

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26142 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: A fantasy. The only genre Nintendo can still claim to be the best at is 3D platformers.

Which they haven't done in who knows how long?

#34 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: Thats not an answer. It's just indignation.

@DocSanchez said:

Which they haven't done in who knows how long?

Not that long ago if we're being honest. They did it last gen and we're not that far into this one. But they still rely too much on the mushroom kingdom and people overrate even the most basic of Nintendo games. Zelda has been outdone so many times at this point it's not even funny any more in terms of combat, exploration, and even directly.

Without nostalgia Nintendo isn't even at the races.

#35 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: yeah because it's not like a link between worlds won goty anywhere...

Oh wait

#36 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -
#37 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: Nah I got it for 3d world which is also masterfully crafted. Both games made by nintendo so whatever little snarky counterpoint you can think of is moot regarding the quality of their software

#38 Posted by jsmoke03 (12622 posts) -

dont think it would have made a difference if it was out the same day as the other versions

#39 Edited by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: You got it for one 3D platformer and claim this one game makes any point about the games library moot? Yeah....about that...

#40 Posted by handssss (1804 posts) -

basically still cancelled, they just don't have the balls to say it yet.

if they honestly do fully intend to release it, it's an extremely idiotic move. The Wii U version will likely be inferior to current gen and PC versions and barely superior to last gen systems. 3rd party on Nintendo consoles doesn't even work with a good install base and WIi U has a terrible install base. All of that means it'd already do terribly if it was releasing along with the others.

Some unspecified time later after everyone who was even interested has moved on? Might as well just burn all that development cash in a bonfire.

#41 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@handssss: Basically they are at this stage trying to keep away from controversy by saying the game is delayed so they can drop it more quietly later. Even if they did release it, it would sell like crap and wouldn't get any DLC.

#42 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: I made a point about their first party being a merit, that was it. I know even you're not that stupid to debate that

#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: No you didn't. As usual you fumbled and insulted your way through a conversation without actually bothering to argue any point.

#44 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: Oh god I'm going to have to spoon feed you aren't I:

You pointed out the wii u has nothing going for it, as if having Nintendo's first party dev teams (some of the best game designers out there) on board isn't anything to write home about.

Do you need me to go slower?

#45 Posted by DocSanchez (1520 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: You can't patronise me because quite frankly, you're a dullard. You're trying, but failing, to do so, because you are a nonentity. Now that's out of the way, you can continue. I did make a similar statement to that. I said it has few games coming out past the archaic franchises. I said Nintendo's first party is overrated and that past 3D platformers they are not at the top of any genre anymore.

To "prove" me wrong, you posted that you owned a 3D platformer on your wii u...and that's it so far. Past the usual pussyfooting around and half baked aggression you've provided nothing else.

#46 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -

@DocSanchez: again you say they're overrated, rely on nostalgia, whatever blanket excuses you can come up with. I point to a link between worlds accolades. Is zelda suddenly a 3d platformer

#47 Edited by Videodogg (12551 posts) -

There was a ( short ) time where i would care about 3rd party games on the Wii U. Not anymore. I can actually count the games i will buy on the Wii U this entire year on one hand. Watch Dogs, nor any other 3rd party port, is not on the list.

#48 Edited by superbuuman (2621 posts) -

not cancel is good, but not release on the same date as others is BOO! :P

#49 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24628 posts) -

The last time this happened the game got canceled.

Let's hope Watch Dogs still happens on WiiU.

#50 Edited by super600 (30152 posts) -

@handssss: Basically they are at this stage trying to keep away from controversy by saying the game is delayed so they can drop it more quietly later. Even if they did release it, it would sell like crap and wouldn't get any DLC.

They moved the dev team that was developing the wiiu version to the other versions to get them out quicker since those versions are probably not completely finished yet. No one knows if the wiiu version is canceled and it's dumb to infer this from what ubi said. They will most likely come back to the wiiu version when the other versions release