Watch Dogs PC screenshots released (TURD!)

• 160 results
#1 Edited by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

Link

To see all the options menu of the game, click here

And here is DSO Gaming's link to 4k screenshots of the game: link

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (38631 posts) -

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

#3 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

Don't forget to Upgrade everybody.

#4 Edited by Krelian-co (10204 posts) -

i watched the 4k screenshots, game look great, hopefully the graphics are backed by a great game.

#5 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Hmmmm, still deciding if I want to get this. Have a few more days to decide

#6 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Mosley Neesha, lol

#7 Posted by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

#8 Edited by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

Yeah, it seems like everything is out of focus--like theres a blurring effect over everything. That might be the TXAA, but I've never seen this sort of general blurriness in other games that use TXAA. And yeah, the night shots do look quite a bit better.

#9 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2166 posts) -

Looks better than Console versions (specially shadows) but not that good . Will wait for proper gameplay videos running at ultra settings before judging it .

#10 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

#11 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3595 posts) -

if they never showed all those bs videos at the reveal these screenshots wont look too bad but now this just looks complete shit compared to what it looked like before

#12 Edited by silversix_ (13868 posts) -

Is this a joke? This is truly maxed settings? I don't believe it because this looks abysmal and what was shown with nvidia tech it looked great. In other words i hope this game fails and isn't the next boring ass creed yearly spam

#13 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Looks like crap. Downgrade confirmed.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (38631 posts) -

In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

Yeah, sounds about right.

His coat is probably hella old. He should get something new. Fella can hack an entire city, but doesn't go out of his way to buy a fancy coat.

#15 Edited by scottpsfan14 (3090 posts) -

Stinks of 7th gen...

#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

I told you guys not to get your hopes too high for this.

Ubisoft are bullshit artists.

#17 Posted by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: They aren't using a 3 light setup. I don't see any rims lights in the scene. I also notice that its high contrast values with terminators in the shadows. It looks like how you would paint or light a natural setup. It also looks like an out doors scene light scheme for movies. What doesn't look natural about it to you ?

#18 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

ACIV was the same way, nothing sweetfx cant fix in 5sec though

#19 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: They aren't using a 3 light setup. I don't see any rims lights in the scene. I also notice that its high contrast values with terminators in the shadows. It looks like how you would paint or light a natural setup. It also looks like an out doors scene light scheme for movies. What doesn't look natural about it to you ?

I dunno, when I'm outside even on a cloudy day the landscape isn't washed out, nothing about this looks natural.

The lighting engine is really off, it's clear this isn't anywhere close to what was advertised.

#20 Posted by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -

Yup, looks like they had to scale back the graphics due to the inferior "next gen" consoles. Thanks for nothing Sony.

#21 Posted by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: We are talking about 2 different things my friend. Im talking about the art style and direction. Im not sure if the lighting engine is off, there is no way to tell that in a still image. Your colors don't look washed out in real life because your using your eyes and there is no filter between you and the natural hue of any item in the environment. Im saying they are trying to create a natural look to this game and you can't do that by over saturating the colors. If your basing it on his coat it could be a different type of material than you initially thought. Sunny days add a value and tint of yellow to everything when brings the chroma of colors down, on a overcast day colors that are warm have a brighter pop because the clouds act to diffuse the light from the sun and give everything a more gradual shadow and lower contrast. I think they achieved the look they are going for.

#22 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

Yup, looks like they had to scale back the graphics due to the inferior "next gen" consoles. Thanks for nothing Sony.

Wouldn't that be thanks to Microsoft?

#23 Posted by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Wouldn't that be thanks to Microsoft?

PS4 was the lead console. Thanks for playing.

#24 Edited by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

@silversix_Yep, it's ultra. lmao

btw, Not all leather is shiny. I wear leather and suede sandals (Clarks ftw--the inside is lined with lamb skin!), and they don't the rays of a thousand suns.

#25 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: We are talking about 2 different things my friend. Im talking about the art style and direction. Im not sure if the lighting engine is off, there is no way to tell that in a still image. Your colors don't look washed out in real life because your using your eyes and there is no filter between you and the natural hue of any item in the environment. Im saying they are trying to create a natural look to this game and you can't do that by over saturating the colors. If your basing it on his coat it could be a different type of material than you initially thought. Sunny days add a value and tint of yellow to everything when brings the chroma of colors down, on a overcast day colors that are warm have a brighter pop because the clouds act to diffuse the light from the sun and give everything a more gradual shadow and lower contrast. I think they achieved the look they are going for.

I'm basing it on the overall image, not just aidens bath robe.

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is an accurate representation of real life lighting, it just looks so off. Especially how it interacts with the player and npcs.

#26 Posted by lundy86_4 (42798 posts) -

The daytime shots look like absolute balls, but from what i've seen of the nighttime gameplay (with rain) it looks pretty decent.

#27 Edited by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@cfisher2833:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

Your standing in a shadow, and thats a different time of day. Also lets not forget Arma comes from an actual simulation. You guys are just looking for something to be mad at which is cool you can be mad just don't make up reasons to be mad. "I don't think its natural because the way it interacts with NPC's?" What are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense could you be more specific please?

#28 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15910 posts) -

Waiting for reviews, gameplay will make or break this one.

At this point no one is expecting a graphical powerhouse.

#30 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -
#31 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -
#33 Edited by geniobastardo (1280 posts) -

I told you guys not to get your hopes too high for this.

Ubisoft are bullshit artists.

True that.

#34 Edited by Ballroompirate (22161 posts) -

Dat rain in Sleeping Dogs was pretty dope

#35 Edited by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

@cfisher2833:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

Your standing in a shadow, and thats a different time of day. Also lets not forget Arma comes from an actual simulation. You guys are just looking for something to be mad at which is cool you can be mad just don't make up reasons to be mad. "I don't think its natural because the way it interacts with NPC's?" What are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense could you be more specific please?

I am not mad. I'll still probably pick up the game if it gets good reviews. But seriously, the lighting system is not trying to be realisitic. Just look at the absurd god rays in this vid

#36 Posted by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@cfisher2833:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

I am not mad. I'll still probably pick up the game if it gets good reviews. But seriously, the lighting system is not trying to be realisitic. Just look at the absurd god rays in this vid

I was speaking on purely the art directors approach to lighting. I was not speaking about the actual tech behind it, the way they are lighting the scenes is similar to the way the film industry recreates natural lighting. I was originally explaining why it looked bland specifically referring to the images in this thread no additional videos. That said, that video appears to be more of a tech demo we will see when the actual game is released and someone post videos. Also take into account the time of day. Twilight, Night time are considerably more interesting times of day to paint/ or film a scene even though it presents more problems. They always show this game at night, raining, and twilight because thats when it looks the best. Thats when the lighting and colors and everything is more interesting. The screen shots above look almost high noon.

#37 Edited by Ben-Buja (2769 posts) -

Let's compare to some other open world games on PC

GTA IV modded (2008 released, icenhancer came out in 2011)

Sleeping Dogs (2012)

Mafia 2 (2010)

Just Cause 2 (2010)

#38 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

Sleeping dogs was ahead of it's time according to ubisoft.

#39 Edited by Ballroompirate (22161 posts) -

Sleeping dogs was ahead of it's time according to ubisoft.

#40 Posted by lunar1122 (657 posts) -

hmmmmmmm this is disappointing. Ubisoft is pissing me off so much lately. So much bullshots.. So much downgrades. Far Cry 3 was a classic example.. If anyone is expecting "the division" to look like its reveal.. Think againnnnnnn.. That new assassins creed trailer? Dont fall for the hoax..

#41 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4410 posts) -

It looks like those shots have been made from youtube footage. They don't look legit at all.

#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (7490 posts) -

Still looks alright imo. But yea, disappointing compared to something like Black Flag, which looks amazing. It's obviously consoles fault. Master race is always trying to push while consoles pull, always pulling.

#43 Edited by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Still looks alright imo. But yea, disappointing compared to something like Black Flag, which looks amazing. It's obviously consoles fault. Master race is always trying to push while consoles pull, always pulling.

Wait, I thought you were a console gamer?

#44 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

Those ones posted look compressed by quite a bit. Compression can't distort the obvious "meh" lighting going on however, its a bit of a shame as this was a game that everyone seemed to hyped for, now its almost a dont want to know situation. Real shame.

#45 Posted by NFJSupreme (5089 posts) -

So this is what watchdogs is supposed to look like. I can dig it.

#46 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13023 posts) -

So this is what watchdogs is supposed to look like. I can dig it.

#47 Edited by uninspiredcup (7490 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Wait, I thought you were a console gamer?

Always respected you the most.

#48 Posted by musicalmac (22804 posts) -

Extra triangles cannot thrill anymore.

#49 Edited by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -

It seems to look much better at night than in daylight

#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (7490 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

Let's compare to some other open world games on PC

GTA IV modded (2008 released, icenhancer came out in 2011)

Speaking of mods, it would be interesting to see just how moddable Watchdogs is. It's Ubisoft, so, it obviously wont get support.