Was Titanfall A Failure?

Posted by charizard1605 (56054 posts) 24 days, 12 hours ago

Poll: Was Titanfall A Failure? (224 votes)

Yes 59%
No 41%

This is, I suppose, an interesting question. Titanfall came out earlier this year amidst much hype, and then... it disappeared. Completely. Literally, no one talks about it, not even to criticize it. Its mindshare was absolutely zero.

Was Titanfall a failure? Let's consider the question from various parameters:

• Review scores: Titanfall seems to have done well here, with an overall Metascore of 86, which includes a 9/10 on this very site. This wasn't any world breaking success or anything on this front- and compared, especially, to Zampella and West's last major game (Modern Warfare/2), is a dramatic step down, but it's a reasonable success here.
  • Sales: Things get much messier here. Six months since its initial release, we have no numbers whatsoever for this game. We know that it sold 900,000 in the US on the Xbox One... and that's it. Microsoft won't give us numbers, EA won't give us numbers, Respawn won't give us numbers, third party agencies like NPD won't give us numbers. There is a distinct lack of any commentary on this game's sales performance, apart from various representatives from EA saying 'it did well,' which, if it did, where are the receipts? Why hide the numbers?
  • Online population: Amusingly enough, the game, which can only be played online, seems to have dwindled out as far as the online population goes. To be specific: on PC, the game is a ghost town. You can't find any games without much difficulty, and this is in spite of some major and aggressive Origin sales for the game (at least two in six months) as well as free weekends (also at least two in six months). It's slightly better on Xbox One and Xbox 360, but it's not even the most popular, or the second most popular, shooter on those systems- Call of Duty and Battlefield are both ranked higher.
  • Did it help the Xbox One? This was supposed to be one of this game's primary functions. EA and Microsoft both positioned Titanfall as a major system seller for the Xbox One. When the Xbox One began to fall clearly behind the PS4 right after its launch, people pointed to Titanfall as the game that would reverse (or at least stall) the trend, and help the Xbox One regain momentum. And yet... this did not happen. There was no noticeable increase in Xbox One sales once Titanfall launched. In fact, Xbox One sales fell after the launch of Titanfall in the US (which is the game's and the console's strongest territory), and this was in spite of some aggressive bundling, pricing, and promotions of the game and the console.
  • The biggest game of this year: This ties directly into its sales performance, I guess, but Microsoft billed Titanfall as 'the biggest game of this year' in its press releases leading up to the game's launch. By any metric- review scores, sales, online population, hardware boosts- the game failed at living up to its billing. It is clear that a game like Destiny, for example, or even Smash Bros. 4, will easily beat this game on all of those fronts. Even Mario Kart 8 beat Titanfall on all of those fronts. What was supposed to be the biggest game of this year became barely a blip that didn't even leave any lasting mark on the gaming landscape.
  • The intangibles: There are three intangibles to consider- this game, the next game from the makers of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, was supposed to be one of those games that would reinvent the FPS genre, reconceptualize how we approach shooters. This game, like Halo with FPSs, and Gears of Wars with TPSs, was Microsoft's bid to go for three out of three as far as defining shooter titles being exclusive to the Xbox goes. And finally, this game was supposed to earn the Xbox One (and itself) some major, major mindshare. People would keep talking about the Xbox One, because Titanfall would be the big thing in gaming, and hey, that was only on Xbox One. Each would help the other grow. Except... again, it failed on all these three 'intangible' parameters as well. The game's mindshare, as mentioned above, was absolutely zero. The game changed nothing as far as first person shooters go. And certainly, it being the defining shooter of its generation, or being exclusive to Xbox One, are both laughable notions as far as this game goes. It seems to have, then, failed with the intangible parameters as well.

In my estimation, then, Titanfall was a resounding failure. It may have been a modest sales and reviews success (just barely, at that), but on the whole, on any scale, tangible or intangible, absolute or relative, the game seems to have failed. I don't know what EA, Respawn, or Microsoft expected from Titanfall, but what ultimately happened to it was certainly not it, I am assuming.

What do you think? Did the game fail?

#151 Posted by joel_c17 (2829 posts) -

All PS4 and Wii U owners vote as failure

Gamers who owns many system, played Titanfall knows it´s not failure.

TOTALLY WORTHLESS TOPIC. WE ALL KNOW IT´S NOT FAILURE. NO NEED TO TALK HOW IT FAILED WHEN YOU NOT EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME(LIKE MOST SAYS IT HAS BAD GAMEPLAY, AND YET THAT PERSON NEVER EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME)

in fact Titanfall is best selling Xbox One game. Titanfall outsold Call of Duty, Forza, Battlefield, Dead Rising 3.

Titanfall on Xbox One alone has outsold Killzone Shadow Fall so far

I played it on pc - its a failure

#152 Edited by uninspiredcup (7855 posts) -

The Totalbiscuit recently put out a video about media hyping games. Incredibly true.

Titanfall was very much this feels. A game created by assholes who made lots of money, with assholes banking on it making lots of money, with assholes being obligated to promote it with fake person awards.

Reality managed to win.

#153 Posted by cainetao11 (16896 posts) -

@PraetorianMan said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd how PvZ Garden Warfare's PC player population seems to absolutely dwarf Titanfalls player population? I'm going on conjecture here, I don't have actual numbers.

This raises a rather interesting question. Why?

People say Titanfall didn't sell well because of no SP campaign. PvZ makes even less of an attempt to have a story or real SP component.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well on PC because it is Origin exclusive... but PvZ is also Origin exclusive...

So, why? Is PvZ actually a better shooter? Are people just sick of modern/future shooters? Does PvZ's free DLC actually count for *THAT* much?

PvZ actually managed to appeal to a market without much competition- the casual, family friendly shooter market, a market where there is literally nothing else as of right now. Titanfall? Titanfall was entering the military-sci/fi shooter market, a market with Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Gears of War, Killzone, Resistance, and on and on and on. It was always going to have a harder time.

My 8 year old nephew can play PvZ. His parents wont let him play Titanfall. I am gambling other parents felt this way.

#154 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

It failed to do what MS wanted it to do which was level the playing field to the PS4

#155 Posted by Seabas989 (10110 posts) -

It faded away. Looks fun but it wasn't the next GeOW or MW.

#156 Posted by charizard1605 (56054 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PraetorianMan said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd how PvZ Garden Warfare's PC player population seems to absolutely dwarf Titanfalls player population? I'm going on conjecture here, I don't have actual numbers.

This raises a rather interesting question. Why?

People say Titanfall didn't sell well because of no SP campaign. PvZ makes even less of an attempt to have a story or real SP component.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well on PC because it is Origin exclusive... but PvZ is also Origin exclusive...

So, why? Is PvZ actually a better shooter? Are people just sick of modern/future shooters? Does PvZ's free DLC actually count for *THAT* much?

PvZ actually managed to appeal to a market without much competition- the casual, family friendly shooter market, a market where there is literally nothing else as of right now. Titanfall? Titanfall was entering the military-sci/fi shooter market, a market with Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Gears of War, Killzone, Resistance, and on and on and on. It was always going to have a harder time.

My 8 year old nephew can play PvZ. His parents wont let him play Titanfall. I am gambling other parents felt this way.

Indeed, it's also probably a shooter that more parents feel comfortable letting kids play, than the other games listed above.

#157 Posted by Nightflash28 (2069 posts) -

Was it a failure? No.
Was it a flop? yes.

Titanfall was hyped like the 2nd coming of Christ, bfore it came out people praised it to be THE next huge game, the saviour of the Xbox 1, etc etc. But Titanfall came and went. It didn't boost Xbox One sales as much as people expected it would.

It did sell well, it did receive great scores, so no failure. But it didn't meet the ludicrous expectations people built themselves up for it, so in my eyes it flopped.

#158 Posted by Omega-316 (783 posts) -

The game itself is okay. Not releasing it on the PS4 is what made it fail. Let this be a lesson to who ever else that bends over for M$ for some extra money.

#159 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@gago-gago said:

The Xbox One isn't even available in many regions, so Titanfall selling so much is definitely a success story. If and when the Xbox One is available at more regions, I'm pretty sure Titanfall will continue to sell.

And in the regions it is not it sell like complete sh**...

The xbox brand isn't that strong outside US and you people still can't accept that.

Almost 1/2 of 360 sales came from outside the US.

Oops.

#160 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7503 posts) -

It wasn't a complete failure but it turned out to be a average FPS with average sells. The game was hyped beyond belief and underperformed. There is a reason you barely hear anyone talking about the game anymore.

#161 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

Oops.

Almost half my ass..

Please numbers and link..

And what make you think the the biggest portion of those sales come from place MS hasn't release yet.?

UK is their second biggest market,and they are already there and losing as well.

Countries like Japan will add little and that is what you refuse to see.

#162 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

Oops.

Almost half my ass..

Please numbers and link..

And what make you think the the biggest portion of those sales come from place MS hasn't release yet.?

UK is their second biggest market,and they are already there and losing as well.

Countries like Japan will add little and that is what you refuse to see.

Here you go. While vgchartz.com really can't be used for actual sales numbers, it's accurate enough for general figures.

NA: 47.34. Rest of the world, 35.77

37.55/83.11 = 43%

#163 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

Here you go. While vgchartz.com really can't be used for actual sales numbers, it's accurate enough for general figures.

37.55/83.11 = 43%

Really.? Vgchartz.? lols...

So is accurate enough for general figures..

Interesting it say there the PS3 surpassed the xbox 360..hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

83.38 PS3 vs 83.11

How is 47 million vs 35 million almost half.

Also the xbox 360 is not the xbox one,period no matter how much you people try to imply it,the xbox one didn't have a shortage and it has sold 5 million by july,the xbox 360 did have a shortage that lasted until april and still sold 5 million units by july as well,from January to July the xbox 360 has actually outsold the xbox one almost every month in time frame.

Oh and look where the biggest chunk comes from EU which the xbox one is already release on.

#164 Posted by WiiMan21 (8158 posts) -

It did well, however the game was highly repetitive after a week and holds no replay value what so ever.

#165 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

37.55/83.11 = 43%

Really.? Vgchartz.? lols...

So is accurate enough for general figures..

Interesting it say there the PS3 surpassed the xbox 360..hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

83.38 PS3 vs 83.11

How is 47 million vs 35 million almost half.

Also the xbox 360 is not the xbox one,period no matter how much you people try to imply it,the xbox one didn't have a shortage and it has sold 5 million by july,the xbox 360 did have a shortage that lasted until april and still sold 5 million units by july as well,from January to July the xbox 360 has actually outsold the xbox one almost every month in time frame.

Oh and look where the biggest chunk comes from EU which the xbox one is already release on.

Yes. While I don't know if 83.38 is accurate, "low to mid 80s" is about all I could say with any certainty about the figures. Be that as it may

How is 47 million vs 35 million almost half? Because 43% is "almost half".

Your "360 is not Xbox One" paragraph has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand. Focus.

#166 Edited by clone01 (24530 posts) -

Not a failure, necessarily, but I think MS put a lot of stock into a pure multiplayer game.

#167 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/29/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-exceeded-2-1-million-units-as-of-january-15/

2.1 million as of January 15 exactly 2 months after and vs BF4 and Ghost,it took Titanfall 5 months to reach 2 million and 400,00 were basically given away free with the xbox one purchase,unlike Killzonbe SF 2.1 millions sold.

Sales wise Killzone >> Titanfall on xbox one..

Hell Killzone sold 2.1 million on a 4.6 million user base..hahaha That was on January 15 it should be like 2.6 million now or more..

TLOU 95 >>>>>>>>>>> Titanfall 86...lol

Call me when the xbox one get a 95 game...lol

@blackace said:

Titanfall has the higher score and the higher sales % for the number of XB1 sold. I'd call that a success. Read all of El Tormo's damage control and get a good laugh.

Higher score than what.?

TLOU has higher score,and Killzone has more sales as well,hell would not be surprise to see TLOU selling better to.

Wow.. you're an idiot. Titanfall with higher score then KZ:SF which was it's direct competition. Higher then all the non-Indie exclusives on the PS4. Even Infamous SS has a lower Metacritic score then Titanfall. TLOU is a PS3 game remastered so it could be milked on the PS4. It's not even a next-gen game. lol!! Keep trying and failing miserably. Sure KZ:SF has more sales then Titanfall. 1. It's been out 5 months longer then Titanfall. 2. It was a launch title and was the only game worth getting on the PS4 as launch. 3. It's not a new IP 4. There are more PS4 sold then XB1, so it will obviously have more sales. Doesn't change the fact that Titanfall outscored it and has a better sales % vs units sold then KZ:SF. Call me when you finally get a real brain and stop embarrassing yourself.

#168 Posted by jsmoke03 (12763 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

i want to be fair to this game because i had gigantic expectations. i received a titanfall bundled xb1 and is still my only AAA game (i have the f2p and games for gold offerings) and i even bought 1 year subscription to xbox live (i swore i wouldnt but decided i should give in since psn plus is a thing i have to pay for to play online).

its a good game...but its not a very engaging game for me. there is no single player campaign which was a big disappointment. the bots dont do anything...its not satisfying to slay them. not enough pilots and the game changes once titans are in the map...its no longer the same type of game. I personally dont like vehicles in my fps, and even though i went in with an open mind and gave it a chance, the titans havent changed my mind. i love infantry only type fps so titanfall doesnt appeal there for me.

maybe having more than 6 v 6 in a map would make things better, maybe doing something to the titans. I dont really know but something drastic needs to be changed for this ip to excel. Right now this is a 7.5 game that is good for a while, but not a system seller im going to a midnight launch to line up for

ur opinoin is very much like mine, we may both be in luck. respawn announced a 6 vs 6 pilot only mode without titans/bots. now if they make it 12 vs 12 it could be really good. i just hate the damn bots

that 8 v 8 looks promising, but i hope they shrink the maps down because of it

#169 Posted by Wickerman777 (1154 posts) -

I think it's done about as well on X1 as it could have but considering how good of a port I've heard the X360 version is I'm surprised by how low sales have been on that platform.

#170 Posted by TigerSuperman (1984 posts) -

@tormentos: You're trying to hard.

First of all your Killzone Comparison does not make any sense because Titanfall got to 2 million in less than 5 months. Titanfall was also bundled a lesser period of time and not at launch like Killzone. not even comparable.

The game will sell this holiday I have no idea why you think MS would still be pushing the game if you think it was barely going to sell because of Advanced warfare. Not only that, it will be having cheap ass sales at that point. I would say around 5 million at the LEASt by the end of this year for Titanfall if not more. 6 million is completely dooable.

@Chutebox said:

@blackace said:

Titanfall has the higher score and the higher sales % for the number of XB1 sold. I'd call that a success. Read all of El Tormo's damage control and get a good laugh.

@blackace said:

It was successful to me. It wasn't as huge as most people thought it would be, but I'm sure it will have legs over the next year. Because the first game was done on the XB1 console, the sequel should be better and easier to create for the console.

If cows think this game is a failure KZ:SF & Knack must be the biggest failures for the PS4. KZ:SF was hyped more then Titanfall before it launched. The game flopped like a dead fish out of water.

Fucking edits but anyways, LOL

Pretty sure a new Ip selling 3 million in just at around 4 months and over 2 of that on one console, becoming the best selling game on that console, passing a game that was bundled with the console since launch, IS pretty damn huge.

#171 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

As the latest shiny entrant in the "Yet another (annualized?) arcade shooter" it succeeded in bringing arcade pew pew fun for the sizable section of FPS diehards that migrate from game to game every month or two, at least for awhile. The critical and user reviews were generally positive, so I'd call that a success at delivering a decent game.

It failed in every other fashion, sometimes spectacularly. EA lives to brag about sales, and that they have been almost silent on the matter is damning. Even when given away (and in many cases with a price cut) in bundles it failed to generate even a modest sales surge for the struggling XBone. It failed to show off the XBone's capabilities, instead causing some embarrassment when the (intentionally?) delayed 360 version was shown to hold up so remarkably well. It failed to showcase MS's "Cloud" secret weapon as anything new or unique to the gaming world, contrary to the prerelease PR hype. And probably most damning, it failed to position itself long term as a heavyweight competitor in the FPS arena. Maybe future iterations will expand its popularity, but right now the franchise is definitely sitting in the shadows of Battlefield and CoD.

#172 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29106 posts) -

Game was kind of mediocre. But it wasn't a failure in the sense that it got good reviews and sold generally pretty well.

#173 Edited by Speak_Low (949 posts) -

Titanfall's impact wasn't as huge as EA or MS wanted, but it's not a complete failure (calling the resulting sales effect a failure might be better than calling the game itself one).

If Titanfall the game was a failure, then so was MK8. Higher install base, much-hyped, expensive marketing campaign and free game offer, and the Wii U is back to a pathetic 80k a month in NA.

I wouldn't call MK8 a failure (because it has sold 2-3 million and people like it) so why call Titanfall a complete failure when it's not that far behind in Xbox One sales, is a new IP from a new studio, and many gamers like it as well?

#174 Posted by CleanPlayer (9787 posts) -

In my opinion, Titanfall was a failure. It was hyped up to be the future of online shooters, and while it's parkour-fast-always-on-the-move gameplay was appealing, I really couldn't stand how it was an only online game. Where was the single player experience? WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE KILLING EACH OTHER WITH MECHS? HOW EXPENSIVE IS THIS WAR? These questions should have been answered, and also I think the game would have been much more popular if it was available on the PS4 as well.

#175 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@blackace said:

Wow.. you're an idiot. Titanfall with higher score then KZ:SF which was it's direct competition. Higher then all the non-Indie exclusives on the PS4. Even Infamous SS has a lower Metacritic score then Titanfall. TLOU is a PS3 game remastered so it could be milked on the PS4. It's not even a next-gen game. lol!! Keep trying and failing miserably. Sure KZ:SF has more sales then Titanfall. 1. It's been out 5 months longer then Titanfall. 2. It was a launch title and was the only game worth getting on the PS4 as launch. 3. It's not a new IP 4. There are more PS4 sold then XB1, so it will obviously have more sales. Doesn't change the fact that Titanfall outscored it and has a better sales % vs units sold then KZ:SF. Call me when you finally get a real brain and stop embarrassing yourself.

Why are you comparing a MULTIPLATFORM to exclusives on PS4.?

Then see you exclude indies which is even a bigger Joke,towerfall is higher rated you know.

But seeing you parade Titanfall as if it was anything more than a multiplatforms is a joke,even more when you trying to downplay TLOU for been a multiplatform while defending Titanfall which is on more platforms than TLOU..hahaha'

Yeah Because Titanfall scream next gen right.? 792p with crap ass graphics and is cross gen as well..

So basically you are downplaying TLOU for all the reasons you should downplay Titanfall,cross gen,not exclusive did i miss something.?

lol

Killzone SF reach 2.1 million units in 2 MONTHS 2 FREAKING MONTHS.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/29/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-exceeded-2-1-million-units-as-of-january-15/

2 months it took killzone on a 4.6 million user base,Titanfall is 5 months old and has less than 2.1 million sold,so basically in 5 months Titanfall hasn't been able to do what killzone did on 2 months..lol

Excuse me but Killzone went head to head with BF4 and Ghost which are way more popular than Killzone will ever be,unlike Titanfall which was alone since Ghost and BF4 were pass their hot zones by March 2014 because they already were 5 months on the xbox one.

Titanfall isn't a fu**ing exclusive so comparing it to killzone it totally stupid,now compare it to TLOU which is also a multiplatform oh yeah it doesn't serve your fu**ing best interest because score wise TLOU wipe the fu**ing floor with Titanfall and unlike Titanfall it wasn't the one of the biggest let down ever recorded since Shenmue..lol

TLOU 9.5 >>>>>>>>> Tityanfall 8.6 deal with it...hahahah

But but but TLOU is a cross gen multiplatform lol so is Titanfall..lol

#176 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@blackace said:

#177 Posted by mbrockway (3399 posts) -

I have never been able to play a single game on the pc version. I completed the tutorial, seemed fun, but it never freaking connects me to a game. I get to a lobby, then it drops me. Waste of money.

#178 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

37.55/83.11 = 43%

Yes. While I don't know if 83.38 is accurate, "low to mid 80s" is about all I could say with any certainty about the figures. Be that as it may

Your "360 is not Xbox One" paragraph has nothing to do with the subject matter at hand. Focus.

That moving goal post..lol

First of all your Killzone Comparison does not make any sense because Titanfall got to 2 million in less than 5 months. Titanfall was also bundled a lesser period of time and not at launch like Killzone. not even comparable.

The game will sell this holiday I have no idea why you think MS would still be pushing the game if you think it was barely going to sell because of Advanced warfare. Not only that, it will be having cheap ass sales at that point. I would say around 5 million at the LEASt by the end of this year for Titanfall if not more. 6 million is completely dooable.

Pretty sure a new Ip selling 3 million in just at around 4 months and over 2 of that on one console, becoming the best selling game on that console, passing a game that was bundled with the console since launch, IS pretty damn huge.

Titanfall has 2 million as of august 23rd so yeah 5 freaking months +...

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72891/titanfall/

lol.

Titanfall was bundle in February and was given FREE don't you get it FREE not a cent was charge for the game to people who bought an xbox one between February 24 and basically the end of march...

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/deals/xbox-one-titanfall-edition-console-pre-order-price-standard-edition/

So like 400K of those 2 million were free copies of the game been bundle,by the way Killzone wasn't bundle free on PS4 Killzone Bundles were $460 dollars..hahahaa

So not only Killzone was not given away it beat Titanfall even that 400k of titanfall were given free..lol

Oh please dude Titanfall didn't even make it into the top 10 last NPD,by this holiday it will be forgotten,COD and even Halo CC,and SSO will make xbox one owners not even care about that game mark this words Titanfall is already forgotten this holiday it will do sh**.

Titanfall's impact wasn't as huge as EA or MS wanted, but it's not a complete failure (calling the resulting sales effect a failure might be better than calling the game itself one).

If Titanfall the game was a failure, then so was MK8. Higher install base, much-hyped, expensive marketing campaign and free game offer, and the Wii U is back to a pathetic 80k a month in NA.

I wouldn't call MK8 a failure (because it has sold 2-3 million and people like it) so why call Titanfall a complete failure when it's not that far behind in Xbox One sales, is a new IP from a new studio, and many gamers like it as well?

MK8 was a total failure...On wii it sold some 40 million copies...It was an astronomical failure.

It is a failure because it was hyped to hell and beyond,even killzone sold better and sony didn't spend half of what MS did nor receive a undeserved boost from the media on E3 2013 like Titanfall did.

#179 Posted by dakan45 (18556 posts) -

@tormentos: You have absolutly no proof of how much titanfall has sold by now nor if the bundles counted. Also TLOU is a hd port, so yeah call me when you figure those things now and eithe console actually has a exlusive.

#180 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (735 posts) -

I think Titanfall is awesome personally. However...I didn't think so at first. This may sound crazy to some of you but...I like the Xbox One version better than the PC version. I initially got Titanfall for PC the week that it came out and enjoyed it for about a week or two then rarely played it again. I recently bought an Xbox One though after the price drop and got Titanfall on sale for $25. I love it on Xbox One. I feel like its more at home than it felt on PC and people actually play it - the PC community is basically dead. And also I've got a couple of friends with Xbox One's who play Titanfall so it's always more fun playing with people you know. So I'm still liking it...Whatever to all the haters.

#181 Posted by paraskhos_basic (1243 posts) -

I really liked the game.But i feel titanfall 2 would be better.

#182 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6384 posts) -

I would say that it did fail. The expectations for it (being the people WHO made MW1, WHO pretty much redefined the online MP9 it failed.

It did not drive consoles, nor was it the console seller it was created to be. It was overhyped and it underdelivered.

Atlest if you look at it from a platform standpoint, I think MS burned themselves really bad on that game.

As for Respawn or even EA, it might not have been as bad a failure if a failure at all, although worth noting that looking on Origin the older BF4 commands a higher pricetag despite being older. Which may be somewhat telling (That Titanfall drops so fast in Price).

As a Whole it was halfbaked, not a bad proof of concept, but it never felt "complete" If there is another Titanfall some changes would be made, but therein lies an important question, how many really wants a sequal to it? That might show if it failed or not.

#183 Edited by jsmoke03 (12763 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

37.55/83.11 = 43%

That moving goal post..lol

@TigerSuperman said:

Titanfall has 2 million as of august 23rd so yeah 5 freaking months +...

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72891/titanfall/

lol.

Titanfall was bundle in February and was given FREE don't you get it FREE not a cent was charge for the game to people who bought an xbox one between February 24 and basically the end of march...

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/deals/xbox-one-titanfall-edition-console-pre-order-price-standard-edition/

So like 400K of those 2 million were free copies of the game been bundle,by the way Killzone wasn't bundle free on PS4 Killzone Bundles were $460 dollars..hahahaa

So not only Killzone was not given away it beat Titanfall even that 400k of titanfall were given free..lol

Oh please dude Titanfall didn't even make it into the top 10 last NPD,by this holiday it will be forgotten,COD and even Halo CC,and SSO will make xbox one owners not even care about that game mark this words Titanfall is already forgotten this holiday it will do sh**.

@speak_low said:

MK8 was a total failure...On wii it sold some 40 million copies...It was an astronomical failure.

It is a failure because it was hyped to hell and beyond,even killzone sold better and sony didn't spend half of what MS did nor receive a undeserved boost from the media on E3 2013 like Titanfall did.

you guys are better than that....be better than vgchartz

#184 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

within the first nine days of launch, global sales of inFAMOUS Second Son exceeded 1 million units

Considering the hype and Infamous SS releasing in the same time frame with none of the marketing blitz, hype and expectations it's comical that people act like it wasn't a complete wash out.

Titanfall did NONE of what the Billion$$$ marketing and fanboy hypers predicted or expected it would do. There are posters here who still have Titans falling on PS4s for their user ID's lol.

It was supposed to crush all games on the PS4, be a system selling on the level of the original Halo, and be an undisputed GOTY better than TLOU and lol the game couldn't even manage to get a 9.0 rating on MC. It's funny that the main people saying its not a failure are the same people who were hyping it to the moon.

#185 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

@blackace said:

@tormentos said:

TLOU has higher score,and Killzone has more sales as well,hell would not be surprise to see TLOU selling better to.

Wow.. you're an idiot. Titanfall with higher score then KZ:SF which was it's direct competition. Higher then all the non-Indie exclusives on the PS4. Even Infamous SS has a lower Metacritic score then Titanfall. TLOU is a PS3 game remastered so it could be milked on the PS4. It's not even a next-gen game.... Call me when you finally get a real brain and stop embarrassing yourself.

"TLOU is a PS3 game...t's not even a next-gen game"? but you are arguing for Titanfall here?

No, It looks like you're the idiot with double standards based on brand names and crippling fanboy bias.

#186 Posted by hehe101 (606 posts) -

If titanfall was a fail infamous must of been an abomination

#187 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10342 posts) -

Titanfall did NONE of what the Billion$$$ marketing

billions of dollars in marketing? You can't be serious.

#188 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

@blackace said:

@tormentos said:

Wow.. you're an idiot. Titanfall with higher score then KZ:SF which was it's direct competition. Higher then all the non-Indie exclusives on the PS4. Even Infamous SS has a lower Metacritic score then Titanfall. TLOU is a PS3 game remastered so it could be milked on the PS4. It's not even a next-gen game.... Call me when you finally get a real brain and stop embarrassing yourself.

"TLOU is a PS3 game...t's not even a next-gen game"? but you are arguing for Titanfall here?

No, It looks like you're the idiot with double standards based on brand names and crippling fanboy bias.

much ownage, very wow

#189 Edited by Quaker-w00ts (1584 posts) -

I don't think it was a failure as much as a disappointment to me. After buying it two weeks ago for $20 i figured that the entertainment value would out weigh the money. two weeks later Respawn talked about "moving on," which left me really disappointed.

"moving on" after only 5 months leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, like Titanfall was supposed to be a easy,fast-cash in with a few updates to keep up the facade.

#190 Posted by lazerface216 (7495 posts) -

yeah, the buzz is definitely in the grave with this game. no one talks about it anymore, it's like it fell off the face of the earth. there was a thread on GAF talking about the ghost town it is on pc. i'm sure it still has a decent community on the xbox one, but what else do they really have to play?

#191 Posted by PsychoLemons (2044 posts) -

Yes and no. It's just that people's expectations were too high.

#192 Posted by clr84651 (5365 posts) -

It wasn't a failure. It was on a failure console.

#193 Posted by TwistedShade (3151 posts) -

I'd say it was a failure. I don't think sales were anywhere near what EA was hoping for and I bet the lacking sales of the Xbox One contributed towards that. I'm sure it was a failure in Microsoft's eyes because it didn't give the Xbox One that huge boost they were gambling it would.

#194 Posted by blamix99 (1684 posts) -

no, i don't think so. it's a success but not a huge success

#195 Edited by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

not a failure...imo

just not as big as they hoped. maybe the new 8 vs 8 will change that?

also for speaklow....mario kart 8 pushed the wiiu ahead os the ps3 and ps4 in japan...before that..the ps4 and ps3 were outselling it....so it did what it was supposed to do in japan.

it just didnt work as well for the rest of the world....however it did sell more than titanfall overall.

#196 Posted by Malta_1980 (11215 posts) -

I got the PC version and believe its a good game... I wish it had more players (12v12 or 16v16) with larger maps, but overall its a fun game..

#197 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@blackace said:

@tormentos said:

Yep Blackace double standard is a joke,TLOU is bad for the PS4 for been an HD port but Titanfall isn't for been cross gen and on more platforms than TLOU is..

Some lemming actually believe that Titanfall is xbox one exclusive and threat it as so..lol

#198 Posted by bjvill (148 posts) -

I enjoyed Titanfall for the 360 and was impressed they could pull it off on that system. If it had been Xbox one exclusive, they might have been able to do more with the game, but it still wouldn't have sold me on that console.So contrary to the pre-release hype, it is not a system seller.

#199 Posted by which_wich (167 posts) -

With all the hype the Lemmings gave it hell yeah it was a failure. "Have you seen Titanfall?"

#200 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

Do a lot of people still play this game? I'm looking to get something on my new Xbox one, and this is $35 bucks on amazon. That's a good deal, but the game will be worthless to me if there is barely anyone one playing in what is essentially an online only game.