Was Titanfall A Failure?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Titanfall A Failure? (248 votes)

Yes 60%
No 40%

This is, I suppose, an interesting question. Titanfall came out earlier this year amidst much hype, and then... it disappeared. Completely. Literally, no one talks about it, not even to criticize it. Its mindshare was absolutely zero.

Was Titanfall a failure? Let's consider the question from various parameters:

• Review scores: Titanfall seems to have done well here, with an overall Metascore of 86, which includes a 9/10 on this very site. This wasn't any world breaking success or anything on this front- and compared, especially, to Zampella and West's last major game (Modern Warfare/2), is a dramatic step down, but it's a reasonable success here.
  • Sales: Things get much messier here. Six months since its initial release, we have no numbers whatsoever for this game. We know that it sold 900,000 in the US on the Xbox One... and that's it. Microsoft won't give us numbers, EA won't give us numbers, Respawn won't give us numbers, third party agencies like NPD won't give us numbers. There is a distinct lack of any commentary on this game's sales performance, apart from various representatives from EA saying 'it did well,' which, if it did, where are the receipts? Why hide the numbers?
  • Online population: Amusingly enough, the game, which can only be played online, seems to have dwindled out as far as the online population goes. To be specific: on PC, the game is a ghost town. You can't find any games without much difficulty, and this is in spite of some major and aggressive Origin sales for the game (at least two in six months) as well as free weekends (also at least two in six months). It's slightly better on Xbox One and Xbox 360, but it's not even the most popular, or the second most popular, shooter on those systems- Call of Duty and Battlefield are both ranked higher.
  • Did it help the Xbox One? This was supposed to be one of this game's primary functions. EA and Microsoft both positioned Titanfall as a major system seller for the Xbox One. When the Xbox One began to fall clearly behind the PS4 right after its launch, people pointed to Titanfall as the game that would reverse (or at least stall) the trend, and help the Xbox One regain momentum. And yet... this did not happen. There was no noticeable increase in Xbox One sales once Titanfall launched. In fact, Xbox One sales fell after the launch of Titanfall in the US (which is the game's and the console's strongest territory), and this was in spite of some aggressive bundling, pricing, and promotions of the game and the console.
  • The biggest game of this year: This ties directly into its sales performance, I guess, but Microsoft billed Titanfall as 'the biggest game of this year' in its press releases leading up to the game's launch. By any metric- review scores, sales, online population, hardware boosts- the game failed at living up to its billing. It is clear that a game like Destiny, for example, or even Smash Bros. 4, will easily beat this game on all of those fronts. Even Mario Kart 8 beat Titanfall on all of those fronts. What was supposed to be the biggest game of this year became barely a blip that didn't even leave any lasting mark on the gaming landscape.
  • The intangibles: There are three intangibles to consider- this game, the next game from the makers of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, was supposed to be one of those games that would reinvent the FPS genre, reconceptualize how we approach shooters. This game, like Halo with FPSs, and Gears of Wars with TPSs, was Microsoft's bid to go for three out of three as far as defining shooter titles being exclusive to the Xbox goes. And finally, this game was supposed to earn the Xbox One (and itself) some major, major mindshare. People would keep talking about the Xbox One, because Titanfall would be the big thing in gaming, and hey, that was only on Xbox One. Each would help the other grow. Except... again, it failed on all these three 'intangible' parameters as well. The game's mindshare, as mentioned above, was absolutely zero. The game changed nothing as far as first person shooters go. And certainly, it being the defining shooter of its generation, or being exclusive to Xbox One, are both laughable notions as far as this game goes. It seems to have, then, failed with the intangible parameters as well.

In my estimation, then, Titanfall was a resounding failure. It may have been a modest sales and reviews success (just barely, at that), but on the whole, on any scale, tangible or intangible, absolute or relative, the game seems to have failed. I don't know what EA, Respawn, or Microsoft expected from Titanfall, but what ultimately happened to it was certainly not it, I am assuming.

What do you think? Did the game fail?

• 
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#101 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Not really. I think people had too high of expectations for it. It's a new IP in an oversaturated market. It did well all things considered.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

i would say it was mildly successful. it made EA lots of exclusivity cash but who knows how Respawn fared from that deal.the inevitable multiplat sequel will define this IP

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#103  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i want to be fair to this game because i had gigantic expectations. i received a titanfall bundled xb1 and is still my only AAA game (i have the f2p and games for gold offerings) and i even bought 1 year subscription to xbox live (i swore i wouldnt but decided i should give in since psn plus is a thing i have to pay for to play online).

its a good game...but its not a very engaging game for me. there is no single player campaign which was a big disappointment. the bots dont do anything...its not satisfying to slay them. not enough pilots and the game changes once titans are in the map...its no longer the same type of game. I personally dont like vehicles in my fps, and even though i went in with an open mind and gave it a chance, the titans havent changed my mind. i love infantry only type fps so titanfall doesnt appeal there for me.

maybe having more than 6 v 6 in a map would make things better, maybe doing something to the titans. I dont really know but something drastic needs to be changed for this ip to excel. Right now this is a 7.5 game that is good for a while, but not a system seller im going to a midnight launch to line up for

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#104 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@Wasdie: In terms of a new IP, it did well. From that perspective it was a success.

I still voted that it was a failure though. The game failed to meet any of the expectations it set. That means it was a failure. I still maintain that they spent more marketing the game than they made back from it.

I do believe the series will be successful though. They need to hit more platforms, they need to add more guns, modes, maps and higher player counts to the next game. It was a good step and it definitely moved the genre forward.

All that said, the new Call of Duty looks like it's taken a few notes from Titanfall. I've only watched a single trailer but I am actually interested in getting this new one.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@charizard1605: Titanfall game play wise and what it has going for it is in no way a failure.

Where Titanfall does fail was the release and content. I got the game for free with my X1 if I hadn't I'd of been disappointed. It feels like a big demo/beta of something really great to come. It needed more weapons, customization, it launch with plenty of maps but I felt like I was always playing the same 4 maps over and over, more game types, maybe a hardcore mode.

There is a good recipe sitting there in Titanfall and it is fun but it could be so much more and that's it's failure!

It's no Haze by any means ;)

SLjustshowedup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SLjustshowedup
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@charizard1605: no people n he meant those who wanted a single player campaign those who kinda hated on it n never took it for what it was

I think the Main problem was the setting n not letting or making it easy to select how many players (6vs6) n letting it be 12 vs 12 n match making I mean it has some just not easy to do n at times it seems to short n goes back in to another game in quick paste

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@-Damien- said:

yup it's the biggest failure in gaming history. it's the most overhyped and most advertised game and yet only achieved relatively mediocre sale number result

pretty sure none of that is true

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The honest answer is that it probably made some money, so it wasn't a "failure." It did not live up to the hype, though. It was nowhere near the hype it was granted and it's probably a good thing that it did as well as it did considering it should have been a $40 game at launch objectively speaking.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

In the sense that it didn't meet expectations yes it was a failure. It was hyped to be the next COD or Halo and it simply didn't work. This was the game that was supposed to sell alot of Xbox ones.

Regardless it is a fun title on its own merrits and its certainly an enjoyable game for any Xbox owner. But it just goes to show gameshow awards are hardly everything.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Comparing the "next gen" first person shooters, I think Killzone is the real failure. They had 3 chances to get it right and they couldn't especially the recent one on the most recent console. Titanfall from a new studio, with a new IP, built for the new console hardware in mind, did a great job. It sold well and scored well, that's success right there. Also I think when there's a new system, making new IPs can be challenging since there are more fans that finds comfort with familiar franchises. Titanfall did well despite that.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

For a brand new IP in an oversaturated market, it did really well.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:

i want to be fair to this game because i had gigantic expectations. i received a titanfall bundled xb1 and is still my only AAA game (i have the f2p and games for gold offerings) and i even bought 1 year subscription to xbox live (i swore i wouldnt but decided i should give in since psn plus is a thing i have to pay for to play online).

its a good game...but its not a very engaging game for me. there is no single player campaign which was a big disappointment. the bots dont do anything...its not satisfying to slay them. not enough pilots and the game changes once titans are in the map...its no longer the same type of game. I personally dont like vehicles in my fps, and even though i went in with an open mind and gave it a chance, the titans havent changed my mind. i love infantry only type fps so titanfall doesnt appeal there for me.

maybe having more than 6 v 6 in a map would make things better, maybe doing something to the titans. I dont really know but something drastic needs to be changed for this ip to excel. Right now this is a 7.5 game that is good for a while, but not a system seller im going to a midnight launch to line up for

ur opinoin is very much like mine, we may both be in luck. respawn announced a 6 vs 6 pilot only mode without titans/bots. now if they make it 12 vs 12 it could be really good. i just hate the damn bots

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#113  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Considering the unreal amount of tremendous hype the game had prior to its release, yes, it was a flop. Was it a normally hyped game and it would be a successfull game but it definitely didnt live to the hype.

Lems made fun of cows last gen for "not buying their games" but now it seems the tables have turned against them once again. This whole gen has been a slap with white gloves to lems faces. Everything they bragged about last gen (namely indie games) "arent important" now and everything they bashed the PS3 for last gen is happening to their Xbone. This gen sure is delighting me

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: It's 8vs8.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It was successful to me. It wasn't as huge as most people thought it would be, but I'm sure it will have legs over the next year. Because the first game was done on the XB1 console, the sequel should be better and easier to create for the console.

If cows think this game is a failure KZ:SF & Knack must be the biggest failures for the PS4. KZ:SF was hyped more then Titanfall before it launched. The game flopped like a dead fish out of water.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 sibu_xgamer
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

@blackace said:
KZ:SF was hyped more then Titanfall before it launched.

Are you sure you live on planet Earth or are you just shamelessly lying?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 blackace

@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

If you were on these forums when KZ:SF was announced, you would know.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@blackace said:

It was successful to me. It wasn't as huge as most people thought it would be, but I'm sure it will have legs over the next year. Because the first game was done on the XB1 console, the sequel should be better and easier to create for the console.

If cows think this game is a failure KZ:SF & Knack must be the biggest failures for the PS4. KZ:SF was hyped more then Titanfall before it launched. The game flopped like a dead fish out of water.

In your freaking fantasy island is was...

Never was Killzone SF more hyped than Titanfall,it wasn't even close not only MS spent a huge amount of cash promoting the game,but journalist drank kool aid by the gallons on the game,remember the whole awards crap on E3 Titanfall the most awarded game of E3.? Hell did Killzone even won something or was even nominated.?

Hell sales wise Killzone sold 2.1 million in 2 months,that was better than what Titanfall did on xbox one,hell that is what Titanfall has now like 2 millions and like 400k where bundle free with the xbox one,sales wise Killzone was actually more successful on PS4 than Titanfall was on xbox one,and killzone wasn't half as advertized as Titanfall was.

And Knack are you fu**ing for real.? The game was doom crap the moment it was show,unlike Titanfall which was hyped to be what the next Call of Duty killer.?

Like always you are so full of sh** is not even funny...lol Knack..hahahaha

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 tormentos
@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

He is shamelessly lying he does it all the time,he even bring Knack which was deem as crap by basically every one..lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

@blackace said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

You're fucking drunk, seriously.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 tormentos
@blackace said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

I was and yes you are shamelessly lying,Killzone never was hyped like Titanfall,even less by the media which saw it again just like another killzone.

Unlike Titanfall which was the most awarded E3 game remember.?

And boy how you lemming use to ride those awards..lol

Now you want to pretend the game wasn't hyped,and that killzone was hyped more,lol silly lemming stop lying to your self..lol

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 sibu_xgamer
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

@blackace said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

Well I think when people were talking about hype they were talking about worldwide hype no this forum hype. No way KZ was more hyped than TF, TF was shown everywhere all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#124 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Titan what?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

Morons

The game beat EAs expectations

Trends show The game moved toward 2 million xboxones, I would argue without that game there would have been trouble.

The game is the best selling game on the Xbox One.

Officially announced combined numbers have the game over 3 million.

The game is still talked about.

The game is still selling, and in some countries, the only reason people are still buying the x1.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By TigerSuperman

Not only that, at over 3 million pacters prediction of 6-10 million is realistic.

The game estimates selling over 2 on X1 alone.

Game still has not gotten a holiday season yet either.

If it was a failure it would not lead the tier 2 launch.

No profits were lost at EA quite clearly according to them and their reports.

Ms is still making the game a lead part of future launches and deals. Clearly the game must be moving thing.

Yet people in this thread thinks the game somehow flopped?

Over 3 million in 4.5 months without including recent sales is not living up to sales hype? With nearly all of that on Xbox One? Really? In fact it may have been just 4 months, but point still stands.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#127 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Needs more bots.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By blackace

@tormentos said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

@blackace said:

He is shamelessly lying he does it all the time,he even bring Knack which was deem as crap by basically every one..lol

You were one of the gamers hyping KZ:SF as being better then Titanfall even though it won zero awards at the E3. I didn't say Knack was hyped. I said Knack was a complete flop like KZ:SF. lol!! Get your facts straight. KZ:SF was hyped as the best next gen launch game ever and next-gen graphic king on here almost every week. Also Titanfall has already sold over 2 million units on the XB1 and that's with less XB1 sold then PS4's. Almost 40% of XB1 owners own Titanfall compared to about 25% for KZ:SF with PS4 owners. I'd say that's pretty successful for a new IP launch title. Titanfall scored better then KZ:SF on here and on your Metacritics (that you like to run to when your games flop on GS.).

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

not a bad game with friends, boring to play alone though

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

People expected a COD like experience with mechs, didn't really "click" but it was a nice first try. It took a handfull of games before they hit paydirt with modern warfare. Part 2 should be improved greatly.

I think people bought the game, maybe it didn't live up to the inflated hype and they went back to plants v zombies garden warfare, battlefield 4, cod ghost.

Maybe it was a failure in EA's mind because they expected the next COD, but if held up to the same standards as other games then it was a decent success.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 TigerSuperman

@mr-powers: game is putting all the CODs before mw, and is paying with its first year.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#132 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

They should do a Steam release, and put it on half price.....bound to make them tons of cash not joking.

EA didn't spend millions on Origin to continue using steam as a sales partner.

Not the point. They'd make cash doing what I stated.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot by going back to steam.

Does the extra profit per sale and getting more exposure to the Origin store offset the cost of running Origin and not being on steam? Only EA can answer that but they're in it for the long game.

Also notice how BF 4 has more players than every steam required CoD combined.

That's because CoD is shit and PC gamers know it. There are better PC orientated FPSs.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I would ass-ume it atleast broke even. It however was not the system seller that MS hoped it would be.

Strange that there are no real numbers anywhere. Just that it did "well."

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 TigerSuperman

@Boddicker: uh? Real numbers have the game at 3 million, over 2 on Xbox One with an announcement of it being the best selling game on Xbox One.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@tormentos said:
@cainetao11 said:

LOL hilarious and true imo. But that may be a little too intelligent for a couple of cows that are calling failure for the very reason of hype. In truth its a failure to them because its not on PS. They will never admit to this, instead say things to the effect "Titanfall 2 will be; keep that junk off PS4". But had it been, the tune would be a different one.

Which is why lemming like you think the game isn't a failure because is not on PS4,but if the game was on PS4 like Destiny is it would be just another game of the bunch.

The game failed because.

1) Failed to meet the sales hype.

2)It fail to meet the score hype across the net.

3) It failed to make the xbox one outsold the PS4 like many predicted.

Well... I absolutely hate to admit this, but I cannot rebut your points. TitanFall has not sold as well as predicted (including my prediction), it did not score AAA as many predicted (I don't think I made a score prediction, other than it will score above a 7), and it has not appeared to be a system seller (again, that I predicted). I still like it a lot, though.

So, you won that round...

Well to be fair anything you say is wrong by default so it's not shocking, if there is anyone clueless about things is you, you just hyped it because "muh xbone"

Shut your pie hole. Your post is another example as to why I say that that you are a couple of IQ points shy of a primate - although I might be insulting chimpanzees with that opinion. I "hyped" it because of all the pre-release awards (75), and previews saying how great it was.

This is par for the course for you: you make a stupid comment, and I point out why it is stupid; and once again clearly demonstrate why I and practically everyone else just rolls their eyes when we see your posts.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#136  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I get into games on the PC consistently, and I don't have map packs. It takes longer to get a full room (it used to be instant), but it usually takes half a match before a room fills up, and then it's golden from there. So this ghost town thing is wrong, factually, objectively.

Otherwise it being a "failure" to me is false. I don't give a damn about the Xbox One (especially for anyone who played it on PC, why would we give a ****?), and as a shooter I think while it lacks impact, it actively is able to stand for something. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but it's a lot like the recent Wolfenstein game. Not only do they take care of the little things, but they show that there are plenty of ways to make things in this genre that feel fresher. And In Titanfall's case it almost all revolves around your movement and how you navigate the map, and the synergy that has with the design make up of the maps you play on. From a pure pace standpoing it's completely different from how the likes of Halo and Call of Duty and Battlefield do business.

All in all it was a good game, a good start. As far as it "living up to the hype" that's bullshit analysis to me, because if we were being cold heart honest about it not many games have ever lived up to the "HYPE'. That shit is usually blown our proportion, and being a winner of E3 awards has had a bit of a trend lately. Failure I think is wrong given what success it did have, and I think they've put themselves in a position to let Titanfall 2 be a beast, has to be a PS4/Xb1/PC game, and not a cross gen game though.

But if they want to actually be the next big thing in the genre, first they need to push the envelope a bit more. Go crazy town with some of those Titans, and more importantly it needs a variety of maps and game modes, but frankly **** single player. Don't waste your time and effort on that garbage. The games entire concept is built around multiplayer, man up, trust your game to carry a multiplayer experience, and I'd say they would do fine.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 tormentos

@blackace said:

You were one of the gamers hyping KZ:SF as being better then Titanfall even though it won zero awards at the E3. I didn't say Knack was hyped. I said Knack was a complete flop like KZ:SF. lol!! Get your facts straight. KZ:SF was hyped as the best next gen launch game ever and next-gen graphic king on here almost every week. Also Titanfall has already sold over 2 million units on the XB1 and that's with less XB1 sold then PS4's. Almost 40% of XB1 owners own Titanfall compared to about 25% for KZ:SF with PS4 owners. I'd say that's pretty successful for a new IP launch title. Titanfall scored better then KZ:SF on here and on your Metacritics (that you like to run to when your games flop on GS.).

lol So now you remember the awards which killzone won non,so you own your self once again...

Actually knack didn't flop it was never hyped,and Killzone may have flop score wise but sales wise it deliver pretty good,considering that Killzone went head to head wiht BF4 and Ghost and still sold 2.1 million units in 2 months,while Titanfall sold 2 million in 5 months when it was alone because BF4 and Ghost were pass its hot time when Titanfall arrived in March.

Graphics wise Killzone mop the floor with Titanfall,and sales wise beat it to on xbox one..lol

I don't know but by the time Killzone SF sold 2.1 million was by January 15 2014,by that time the PS4 was like 4.6 million units sold,in fact it was 4.2 by the start of January,so basically killzone reach 2.1 million with close to a 50% penetration on PS4 by that time higher than Titanfall,oh and Killzone wasn't been given free to new owners like Titanfall was which make those 2 million sales even worse 400K or more of those Titanfall sales were free given free since February...lol

@TigerSuperman said:

Morons

The game beat EAs expectations

Trends show The game moved toward 2 million xboxones, I would argue without that game there would have been trouble.

The game is the best selling game on the Xbox One.

Officially announced combined numbers have the game over 3 million.

The game is still talked about.

The game is still selling, and in some countries, the only reason people are still buying the x1.

Yeah that what EA claimed,it is well know it didn't 3 million across PC,360 and xbox one is a joke,Ghost sold more than that on 360 alone.

From those 2 millions like 400K or more were free copies included in the free titanfall promo that started on February 2014 and that lasted over March as well.

Remember $449 titanfall and Kinect included.?

@TigerSuperman said:

Not only that, at over 3 million pacters prediction of 6-10 million is realistic.

The game estimates selling over 2 on X1 alone.

Game still has not gotten a holiday season yet either.

If it was a failure it would not lead the tier 2 launch.

No profits were lost at EA quite clearly according to them and their reports.

Ms is still making the game a lead part of future launches and deals. Clearly the game must be moving thing.

Yet people in this thread thinks the game somehow flopped?

Over 3 million in 4.5 months without including recent sales is not living up to sales hype? With nearly all of that on Xbox One? Really? In fact it may have been just 4 months, but point still stands.

By this holiday no one would even care about Titanfall,specially not with COD advance warfare around.

More like 3 millions in 5 months across 3 platforms.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

They should do a Steam release, and put it on half price.....bound to make them tons of cash not joking.

EA didn't spend millions on Origin to continue using steam as a sales partner.

Not the point. They'd make cash doing what I stated.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot by going back to steam.

Does the extra profit per sale and getting more exposure to the Origin store offset the cost of running Origin and not being on steam? Only EA can answer that but they're in it for the long game.

Also notice how BF 4 has more players than every steam required CoD combined.

That's because CoD is shit and PC gamers know it. There are better PC orientated FPSs.

Like what? And can you objectively prove that these shooters are better?

Reason CoD isn't more popular is the matchmaking.

PC's biggest exclusive of the year Divinity Original Sin currently has less players than Black Ops 2.

If we count all the CoD shooters from steam and game monitor we see that CoD currently has as many players as the Arma series.

All the steam Cod's have more players than Insurgency and Red Orchestra 2.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Almost all game populations and mindshare dwindle over time. Nobody ever talks about Infamous: Second Son (heck, and an expac came out), Mario Golf, Animal Crossing, Pokemon X/Y, etc. Titanfall is still the best selling Xbox One game.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#140  Edited By dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

it has a higher metacritic score than any ps4 exluisve. The xbone version alone sold over 2 milion copies, include x360 and pc and you got 3 milions. The highest selling next gen game is cod ghosts on ps4 with 2million something.

So id say it was a whooping success.

Ponies be mad they cant have it.

@tormentos

"failed to spark xbox one sales over the PS4."

Ps4 10 million sales...exlusive game sales, at a million something.

xbone 5 milion sales, not confirmed titanfall sold 2 million something.

Seems to me titanfall was more influentual on xbone than any ps4 exlusive and it wasnt even a exlusive to begin with.

86>80 of infamous.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 blackace

Titanfall has the higher score and the higher sales % for the number of XB1 sold. I'd call that a success. Read all of El Tormo's damage control and get a good laugh.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

@blackace said:

Titanfall has the higher score and the higher sales % for the number of XB1 sold. I'd call that a success. Read all of El Tormo's damage control and get a good laugh.

@blackace said:

Fucking edits but anyways, LOL

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

@Boddicker: uh? Real numbers have the game at 3 million, over 2 on Xbox One with an announcement of it being the best selling game on Xbox One.

And?

I can only assume you got those numbers of vgchartz, though I have little doubt that they are correct. Most AAA titles like Titanfall need to sell atleast 2-4 million copies just to break even. It's what's inherently wrong with the AAA sales model.

Respawn already moving on and talks of shutting down the servers speaks volumes.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By tormentos

@dakan45 said:

it has a higher metacritic score than any ps4 exluisve. The xbone version alone sold over 2 milion copies, include x360 and pc and you got 3 milions. The highest selling next gen game is cod ghosts on ps4 with 2million something.

So id say it was a whooping success.

Ponies be mad they cant have it.

@tormentos

"failed to spark xbox one sales over the PS4."

Ps4 10 million sales...exlusive game sales, at a million something.

xbone 5 milion sales, not confirmed titanfall sold 2 million something.

Seems to me titanfall was more influentual on xbone than any ps4 exlusive and it wasnt even a exlusive to begin with.

86>80 of infamous.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/29/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-exceeded-2-1-million-units-as-of-january-15/

2.1 million as of January 15 exactly 2 months after and vs BF4 and Ghost,it took Titanfall 5 months to reach 2 million and 400,00 were basically given away free with the xbox one purchase,unlike Killzonbe SF 2.1 millions sold.

Sales wise Killzone >> Titanfall on xbox one..

Hell Killzone sold 2.1 million on a 4.6 million user base..hahaha That was on January 15 it should be like 2.6 million now or more..

TLOU 95 >>>>>>>>>>> Titanfall 86...lol

Call me when the xbox one get a 95 game...lol

@blackace said:

Higher score than what.?

TLOU has higher score,and Killzone has more sales as well,hell would not be surprise to see TLOU selling better to.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

The Xbox One isn't even available in many regions, so Titanfall selling so much is definitely a success story. If and when the Xbox One is available at more regions, I'm pretty sure Titanfall will continue to sell.

anderswhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 anderswhk
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

This is basically the route shooters go today. They all play the same, and as such no one cares about them a few months after release. Then it's on to the next hypetrain.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 tormentos

@gago-gago said:

The Xbox One isn't even available in many regions, so Titanfall selling so much is definitely a success story. If and when the Xbox One is available at more regions, I'm pretty sure Titanfall will continue to sell.

And in the regions it is not it sell like complete sh**...

The xbox brand isn't that strong outside US and you people still can't accept that.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I don't think so. Doesn't it have a 1 in 3 attach rate for Xbox One owners? Seems pretty good to me.

It's success was thwarted by the Xbox One selling poorly during the first half of the year. It didn't help that when they announced the price drop they announced it a month or so in advance. Sales were terrible in the months following Titanfall's release, so the hype was killed.

I bet that if they were to repackage Titanfall with Xbox Ones (with all DLC) for the holidays it'd sell well again. I know a few people who bought Xbox Ones for the game, and they said it was awesome.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#149 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

I had a chance to play it at FanExpo today and I have to say this, Titanfall isn't a bad game. It is well designed, Titans are not overpowered, and it feels very light and arcady.

Charizard's argument is this, and this goes beyond subjective enjoyment. Is Titanfall a good return for investment? It depends on who spent all that money on marketing and advertising. We don't have the data to say conclusively, and considering Microsoft's general solution to problems (it's the same cure Magic Johnson used for AIDS), it will probably not be a big deal in the long run.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#150 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@tormentos: This gen sure it is last gen for lemming anything under 90 was bad,Resistance scored than same 86 and people tag it as trash and generic.lol

Why do you continually use a group you deride, Lemmings, as ammunition? Did you agree with that take of 86 being trash for Resistance? Then why perpetuate it?