Was this the fastest console war ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It was over before it began. PS4 and Xbone launched at the same time yet PS4 already has a 2:1 sales advantage that is growing every month. PS4 is selling 1 million units a month while Bone is only selling 400k.

Titanfall came out and did nothing. PS4 even outsold Bone in America in march despite M$ giving Titanfall away for free and discounting the system by $50-100 all month long.

It will only get worse for them in the months ahead with PS4 having exclusive marketing rights to the biggest 3rd parties such as Watch Dogs, Destiny and Batman Arkham Knight plus exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered and The Order 1886. Not to mention MLB 14 The Show just came out and is the only choice baseball fans have now.

The poor Wiiu was dead on arrival and PS4 quickly surpassed it within a few months.

Was this the fastest console war ever? Some may say the 6th gen was but we did have to wait a year to see what M$ and Nintendo would do. This time Sony launched head to head with M$ and a year after Nintendo and still blew them away.

Where does M$ go from here? Should they leave the industry and stop making consoles? Should Nintendo go handheld only or 3rd party?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

PS2 era seemed over before it began, so no.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Considering these consoles have potential to sell 70+ million in their life cycle. Yeah it's over......

When Sony was selling 60k PS3's in NPD a month it was over for them...SMH

Listing multi-plats like their exclusives. Win.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

#LOLNathanDrakeSwag

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i don't know why you guys would be surprised.

a hundred dollar difference is a huge deal to most people that buy things.

after last gen i would think sony dudes would be the first ones to know what a big deal a large price difference is.

after all, sony went from 70% market share to 30% over $100.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 B4X

How do you guys type this garbage with a straight face?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Microsoft is Sony's bitch.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shewgenja

#The360wasafluke

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@Riverwolf007 said:

after last gen i would think sony dudes would be the first ones to know what a big deal a large price difference is.

There wasn't a $100 difference in March. There were discounts for Bone all over the place that made it even cheaper than PS4 and it still lost. The Titanfall bundle was $450 everywhere the entire month, some retailers went as low as $399 and some even threw in a free year of gold and it still did nothing.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By B4X

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

There wasn't a $100 difference in March. There were discounts for Bone all over the place that made it even cheaper than PS4 and it still lost. The Titanfall bundle was $450 everywhere the entire month, some retailers went as low as $399 and some even threw in a free year of gold and it still did nothing.

Dude it was still a 450 - 500 dollar entry fee? With live gold. Is that a 399 dollar entry fee? The actual price of the system will have to hit 399 before you see any true results. When the customer sees 450-500 it doesn't matter wtf is packed in.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NathanDrakeSwag

@b4x said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

Dude it was still a 450 - 500 dollar entry fee? With live gold. Is that a 399 dollar entry fee? The actual price of the system will have to hit 399 before you see any true results.

Including Titanfall essentially made the console $390.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By B4X

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@b4x said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

Dude it was still a 450 - 500 dollar entry fee? With live gold. Is that a 399 dollar entry fee? The actual price of the system will have to hit 399 before you see any true results.

Including Titanfall essentially made the console $390.

Read my edit. A potential customer still sees the 450-500 price tag. It doesn't matter if any game was packed in. It's still a big fat 500 dollar entry fee staring them in the face. They see that number and keep walking. It has to be 399 dollars on the box.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Only about 11 million Xbox One and PS4s have been sold thus far; that's less than 15% of the 160 million plus that PS3 and 360 sold, so we are still only at a small fraction of what these consoles have the potential to sell over the next 5 to 8 years. A lot can happen in that time; just look at how PS3 which got it's ass kicked in the first half of the generation started making a comeback in the second half.

And of those 11 million sold, most are from hardcore gamers that are passionate enough about video games to pay the high prices, but there is a larger market of casual gamers than there are hardcore and they are the ones that are really going to decide who wins this generation, but they aren't going to jump into next gen until the prices drop and the big franchise games are exclusively next gen. And with Kinect, multimedia features, Xbox's reputation as the best place to go for playing online with friends, and their focus on the most popular game genre, shooting games, Xbox has more going for them to appeal to the casual gamers who will really decide the winner when they jump into next gen after the prices drop, so counting Microsoft completely out after only 6 months and only 11 million units sold to hardcore gamers is stupid.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I say the shortest war between the PS2 and the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast died before the war even started.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It may seem so, but it isn't over yet. You've got to give it at least until the really big hitters come out. Even though the entirety of the Xbox division is in disarray, even so being, someone there just has to realize there is some desperation at hand. I own a ps4, but lets say ms ships an Xbox One Halo 5 bundle for the same price as a ps4. Would I buy it? No question, and I think a lot of people would.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I wouldnt write Microsoft off just yet. They will likely have something up their sleeves.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

M$ doesn't need Actual games, they are doing just fine getting our Hopes up. After E3 the Xbox One that I own will be stronger than the PS4 as M$ promised me. Also I can't wait for the next Forza, Halo game and will buy it instantly because they come out consistently each year and will feel left out if I don't buy so

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

MS has already won. Cows just don't know it yet.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

What I was going to say. PS2 was fastest in history.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cainetao11

@hitmanactual said:

Microsoft is Sony's bitch.

LOL that would imply they own them. Sony cant even afford their own company. MS can buy that Japanese train wreck at any point in open market trading.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Epic-gamerz

@cainetao11: so you hate Sony just because they are Japanese? Oh I bet you're one of those liberals who only support buying American made products.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Kinda early for this. There are always shifts in the market. Who knows what the landscape will be like in 2016. Sony could have a huge blunder that effects their sales and make the xbone look better. What if psn goes down again and even worse hacks happen like what happened with target? People could be hesitant to buy a ps4. Just an example but point is you can't predict the future.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

^^

This gen isn't over TC, even if you're talking only console sales instead of games. We've seen consoles come back from considerably farther back than the XB1 is now.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shewgenja

@NFJSupreme said:

Kinda early for this. There are always shifts in the market. Who knows what the landscape will be like in 2016. Sony could have a huge blunder that effects their sales and make the xbone look better. What if psn goes down again and even worse hacks happen like what happened with target? People could be hesitant to buy a ps4. Just an example but point is you can't predict the future.

Yeah, no one predicted the PS3 would catch up or surpass the XBox360 but then Kinect happened and the rest was history.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cainetao11

@epic-gamerz said:

@cainetao11: so you hate Sony just because they are Japanese? Oh I bet you're one of those liberals who only support buying American made products.

Don't bet much, pal. Rather be liberal who wants to buy American, than a conservative who wants to employ foreigners. That makes a ton of sense. I have owned every PS. I don't hate any company. I do support buying American made products, that's wrong? And the X1 isn't American made, it may be designed by an American company, but like the PS its made in China.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

How about 5th gen? That was over with "$299". 8th gen reminds me of that, the generation was won at an E3 conference before it even began.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Epic-gamerz

@cainetao11: see I was right. You are an American who hates seeing over seas product take over America. Well good year for you the PS4 is doing great in America

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

#The360wasafluke

not really, it was in 2nd place with og xbox

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It was over before it began. PS4 and Xbone launched at the same time yet PS4 already has a 2:1 sales advantage that is growing every month. PS4 is selling 1 million units a month while Bone is only selling 400k.

Titanfall came out and did nothing. PS4 even outsold Bone in America in march despite M$ giving Titanfall away for free and discounting the system by $50-100 all month long.

It will only get worse for them in the months ahead with PS4 having exclusive marketing rights to the biggest 3rd parties such as Watch Dogs, Destiny and Batman Arkham Knight plus exclusives like The Last of Us Remastered and The Order 1886. Not to mention MLB 14 The Show just came out and is the only choice baseball fans have now.

The poor Wiiu was dead on arrival and PS4 quickly surpassed it within a few months.

Was this the fastest console war ever? Some may say the 6th gen was but we did have to wait a year to see what M$ and Nintendo would do. This time Sony launched head to head with M$ and a year after Nintendo and still blew them away.

Where does M$ go from here? Should they leave the industry and stop making consoles? Should Nintendo go handheld only or 3rd party?

ps2 and wii i think was faster. xb1 still has a chance. its still close

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

I don't think you're stereotyping liberals correctly

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

MS is more secure than Sony. I can't ignore overall system financials any longer. It's also like people forgot about how the last generation preceded...

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@lostrib said:

@epic-gamerz said:

Haha basic understanding of politics fail.

On topic...I cant believe how many people are feeding this troll.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@always_explicit said:

@lostrib said:

@epic-gamerz said:

If he gets fat enough, maybe he'll have a massive heart attack

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@lostrib said:

@always_explicit said:

@lostrib said:

@epic-gamerz said:

If he gets fat enough, maybe he'll have a massive heart attack

We can only hope...Even then I fear he will mindlessly stab away at the keyboard until something equally nonsensical comes out. I dont think SW will ever be safe from Swag. I wouldnt even mind if it were funny. Trolling used to be an art.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@b4x said:

How do you guys type this garbage with a straight face?

I don't. Most of the time I'm laughing my ass off.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Not that I care because it's extremely shallow and superficial to brag about marketing rights to multiplats, not to mention hypocritical because cows somehow bashed Microsoft for having either timed exclusives or exclusive DLC or timed DLC...but isn't COD the biggest franchise ever? And MS had / has / will have timed exclusive DLC for it. And will most likely show it first during their E3. But like I said, I just pointed out a flaw in TC's thinking and don't care about this shallow crap.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cainetao11

@epic-gamerz said:

@cainetao11: see I was right. You are an American who hates seeing over seas product take over America. Well good year for you the PS4 is doing great in America

Do you always assume to the extreme?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

There was still a difference and since when does March == the entire gen?

Are cows really this stupid?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Did I stumble upon a old 360 vs PS3 thread at release or something? Because this sounds extremely familiar to what people were saying about the PS3 6 months after its launch.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

#420YoloSwaggins