Was Ni No Kuni the best JRPG of last gen?

• 104 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I know, I know, some will say Xenoblade. But Xenoblade's gameplay was pretty meh and the graphics were atrocious. The controls were meh and the concept of pressing an action like slash forward, slash back, slash sideways, is boring. Also, the camera was a pain in the arse (I'm not even British, but I like that spelling). Also, the graphics in Xenoblade was on par with ps2 hardware. Xenoblade comes no where close to Studio Ghibli's master work. And finally, the story and the concept was just better. Ni No Kuni's protagonist was far more interesting and Drippy is easily one of the best sidekicks of all time. I rest my case, SW. Agreed?

*also, Ni No Kuni's sidequest system is far better. Xenoblade has way too many repetitive and annoying tasks. Ni No Kuni's merit system provides a great incentive and there's also not nearly as many to do.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Dear Lord, no.

I'll say Lost Odyssey, although I still need to finish Tales of Vesperia.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I havent played Ni No Kuni, but I would have to go with LO or ToV.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

i still need to play that. It's been sitting on my desk since Dec

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

No.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'd have to say lost odyssey, xenoblade, or ni no kuni. I think lost odyssey would probably get my vote though. Game is seriously underrated. Unless persona 4 for vita counts that is.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

inb4 the usual suspects rant about how overrated Xenoblade is.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Does me heart good to see people giving Lost Odyssey its props

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Indeed it was, but only if Valkyria Chronicles had never released.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Ni no Kuni is really great but I think Xenoblade probably takes this.

@GreySeal9 said:

Who the hell thinks Xenoblade is overrated? o_O

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

Ni no Kuni is really great but I think Xenoblade probably takes this.

@GreySeal9 said:

Who the hell thinks Xenoblade is overrated? o_O

Just stay awhile and you'll see. lol. Xenoblade's excellent reception makes a few people on this forum really butthurt for some reason.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It was at least the best looking JRPG of last gen for sure

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

You jerk, you made me break out my computer for this one. >:(

@SolidGame_basic said:

I know, I know, some will say Xenoblade. But Xenoblade's gameplay was pretty meh and the graphics were atrocious. The controls were meh and the concept of pressing an action like slash forward, slash back, slash sideways, is boring. Also, the camera was a pain in the arse (I'm not even British, but I like that spelling).

Simple minded people will no enjoy Xenoblade: Like If you only played as Shulk, or only used the Shulk/Sharla/Reyn trio. And you obviously didn't use the Classic Contoller which has that second analog stick. dude the Wii + Nunchuck method is crap. So, your reasons are invalid and you didn't allow yourself to experience the game properly.

Ni No Kuni's battle system was pretty sub-par at best. The AI needed work: you're teammate's will drain their precious MP gauge. The tactics menu needed a "Healer", "Warrior" or "Buffs". Because stupid Esther would always cast the dumb spell to increase speed which cost (not to mention it was incredibly useless), and if you had her on "conserve MP" she wouldn't heal. Also, if you were charging a spell and another enemy executed a "trick", then your spell gets interrupted, regardless if you were hit by it or not. The endgame spells are incredibly useful, but once the bosses started spamming their tricks, you couldn't use them anymore. So dumb. This game's battle system needed more testing and work. Not to mention that the pets were completely inferior to Oliver.

Also, the graphics in Xenoblade was on par with ps2 hardware. Xenoblade comes no where close to Studio Ghibli's master work.

Yes, Xenoblade Chronicles was limited by technology. But its environments were much more memorable than any of Ni No Kuni's most memorable places. (Gaur Plains, Satoryl Marsh, Agnirahta)

And finally, the story and the concept was just better. Ni No Kuni's protagonist was far more interesting and Drippy is easily one of the best sidekicks of all time. I rest my case,

Xenoblade's Story was meant to be epic. It had many "shocker" moments that pushed me to keep going. From what it sounds like, you have never finished the game, so you cannot even talk about story-telling.

SW. Agreed?

*also, Ni No Kuni's sidequest system is far better. Xenoblade has way too many repetitive and annoying tasks. Ni No Kuni's merit system provides a great incentive and there's also not nearly as many to do.

Well duh, Xenoblade was built around being an MMO. Nothing wrong with that. People don't know how to tackle the vast amount of sidequests that the game has implemented. You're supposed to go accept all the sidequests in the area and tackle them out as you're exploring the area. And go complete them on your spare time.

Ni No Kuni's sidequests aren't that great either, most of them are boring-as-hell fetchquests and hunt X, the same as Xblade. But with Xblade's sidequests comes more variety.

To conclude, Xenoblade is a game of "Put in work, get reward". You put in the work to understand the battle system, you'll find it more enjoyable (I liked playing as Seven the most, oh wait, you probably don't know who that is ;D). You put in the effort to complete the game, you'll find yourself enjoying the story because it really takes the audience on a roller coaster ride. You put in the effort to sidequests, you are rewarded with new artes, new skill trees and new areas to explore.

I'm noticing a trend between the number of people who don't like the game are also ones who hasn't gotten past the Bionis Knee.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

for me it's Ni No Kuni

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bbkkristian

Xenoblade Chronicles is also more significant to the genre of JRPGs. You can thank the people who supported it and Operation Rainfall we got other JRPGs like Bravely Default (which was also published by Nintendo). Also, The common perception of JRPGs on the mainstream changed for the better after Xenoblade, being the first highly rated JRPG in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The only JRPGs I played last gen were Ni No Kuni and FFXIII so yeah, for me it was

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

It's great to see Lost Odyssey getting a lot of love. My favorite JRPG last gen and one of the best RPGs that gen period.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

If you mean HD jrpg then yes but on consoles it was xenoblode and if over all PSP and DS had dozens of better jrpgs

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

Wouldn't say it's "overrated" but it's a pretty standard JRPG that got elevated to a lot of exposure due to being released in a gen with very little note-worthy JRPGs and on a platform with 0 of them. Had that game been released on the PS2 between 2005-2008, no one would have given two shits about it.

My answer is The World Ends With You but since no one else seems to be picking a handheld game I'll say Dark Souls. Honourable mention to Valkyria Chronicles.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

Xenoblade Chronicles is also more significant to the genre of JRPGs. You can thank the people who supported it and Operation Rainfall we got other JRPGs like Bravely Default (which was also published by Nintendo). Also, The common perception of JRPGs on the mainstream changed for the better after Xenoblade, being the first highly rated JRPG in years.

wasn't Ni No Kuni actually a bigger sales success than Xenoblade? can't wait for the sequel! and yes, I'll also be playing X

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Dear Lord, no.

I'll say Lost Odyssey, although I still need to finish Tales of Vesperia.

You'll say what???? Ugh, such a terrible game.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bbkkristian

@SolidGame_basic: yes, it was, but Xenoblade was Very limited print. It was not expected to sell well, but the contrary happened it sold almost it's entire shipment, (until it's reprint later the next year after declared a success in the states). Then there was a scarcity of copies able to be found which drove up the price exponentially.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Far from it. Pretty asethetics marred by the battle system, lack of varitey in tedious sidequests that had a lot of backtracking, lack of voice acting --people praised drippy's VO, but it only left me yearning for the large chunk of the game that wasn't voiced--, redundancy in text, pacing was off -- it takes a little over half the game to get the warp ability to fast travel and without that ability back tracking was very annoying--, balancing issues with Oliver's Spells and the Dinocercous in late game -- which actually made the battle system a little bit less irritating because the characters could just plow through everything at that point--, Oliver's world was pointless from an exploration and gameplay perspective, and let's not forget the terrible AI partners and almost unavoidable special attacks that enemies sometimes did.

It was a pretty game. It had charm. It wasn't the greatest RPG of the generation that I thought it would be.

JRPGs I found better last generation were:
Xenoblade
Eternal Sonata
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

For god sake no.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Tales of Xillia are miles better.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles exists,so no.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Solid but i enjoyed more Valkyria Chronicles.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Indeed it was, but only if Valkyria Chronicles had never released.

I like VC, but I also like me some LO

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I didn't play many JRPGs last gen, but I found Ni No Kuni to be quite bad and it all stems from its atrociously sloppy, AI infested combat system.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Damn, when you see people naming Lost Odyssey as one of last gens top JRPGs, you know it was a bad gen for the genre.

The game certainly had some redeeming qualities, but overall it was such an average game.

That said, it's one of the better jrpgs I played last gen lol.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

*raises hand* yup it sure is.Not to say the game is bad but it enjoyed other jrpgs more.I found the cast to be as enjoyable as watching paint dry and same goes for the story.I did like the world itself and combat though.Anywho on topic my answer is nope.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

Really? oh come dude this game wasint like some god like figure that changed everything.Im also sure there were other games in operation rainfall.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bbkkristian

@finalfantasy94: Xenoblade got the highest remarks, The Last Story got good remarks too, and Pandora's Tower was just too late and got average marks.

Please tell me other noteworthy jrpgs released from 2009-Xenoblade's release that got a 8.5 or above

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: Xenoblade got the highest remarks, The Last Story got good remarks too, and Pandora's Tower was just too late and got average marks.

Please tell me other noteworthy jrpgs released from 2009-Xenoblade's release that got a 8.5 or above

So to be noteworthy or worth a dam it has to score higher then a 8.5?what kind of logic is that

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bbkkristian

@finalfantasy94: fine, name a JRPG that received positive remarks along with mainstream attention? I would like a list of five or more because of your aggressive attitude. :)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tales of Vesperia was, easily. Ni No Kuni is a good game though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: fine, name a JRPG that received positive remarks along with mainstream attention? I would like a list of five or more because of your aggressive attitude. :)

Xenoblade didint get mainstream attention.When I think of the word mainstream I think of something like COD where you can ask anyone and they know what it was the majority of the time.Xenoblade doesint fit that bill.It did get high scores but thats not the same as mainstream attention.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bigboi500

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Xenoblade didint get mainstream attention.When I think of the word mainstream I think of something like COD where you can ask anyone and they know what it was.Xenoblade doesint fit that bill.It did get high scores but thats not the same as mainstream attention.

Getting mainstream attention just means it garnered national attention, not necessarily a house hold name. Xenoblade did get national attention.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 finalfantasy94

@Bigboi500 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bbkkristian said:

Xenoblade didint get mainstream attention.When I think of the word mainstream I think of something like COD where you can ask anyone and they know what it was.Xenoblade doesint fit that bill.It did get high scores but thats not the same as mainstream attention.

Getting mainstream attention just means it garnered national attention, not necessarily a house hold name. Xenoblade did get national attention.

It did? All it got attention from was jrpg gamers who wanted the game to come over and did operation rainfall which also had other games on the list.Then it got high scores.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Oh God no. It's not even in my top 3.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

no, Persona 5 was the best JRPG of 7th gen

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Ni no Kuni, valkyria chronicles and Xenoblade

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Xenoblade WAS one of the better console JRPG releases of the 7th gen, but that mostly has to do with the fact that almost all other console JRPGs were mediocre, bad, and/or downright weeaboo drivel. Xenoblade, in itself, was "good", but hardly amazing.

I haven't played Ni No Kuni myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also one of the better JRPGS this gen just by looking at it and from the mostly positive things I've heard of it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bbkkristian said:

It did? All it got attention from was jrpg gamers who wanted the game to come over and did operation rainfall which also had other games on the list.Then it got high scores.

It was generally accepted as the JRPG of the gen from a lot of websites. It made headlines for what Gamestop did with it (selling new copies as used). It made headlines for almost not releasing in the US. Lots of mainstream attention.

I bought it new day one with the art book, but I didn't enjoy what I played of it, though.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bbkkristian
@finalfantasy94 said:
@Bigboi500 said:

IGN:

Xenoblade Chronicles Review (9/10)

Why You Should Care About Xenoblade Chronicles

Should You Buy Xenoblade Chronicles or The Last Story

The Xenoblade Chronicles Journal

Take Control of Xenoblade's Cover

Xenoblade Chronicles Confirmed for United States

Nintendo's Missing Games: Europe is Being Watched

NVC: Nintendo's Missing Wii Games (IGN Podcast)

Nintendo Will Not Release Missing Wii Games in North America

This was on the front page for some time: Challenging the Champions Is Xenoblade Chronicles the Best JRPG of All Time

Compare this to... Drakengard 3:

Drakengard 3 Review

Drakengard 3's Opening Cinematic Revealed

Drakengard 3's Collectors Edition Revealed for Europe and Australia

Dragoon Dragon 3, Drakengard 3 is coming West

Xenoblade Chronicles got A LOT of attention for a traditional JRPG. It had an article on the front page quite often since before its release in Europe and again a few months later for NA.

EDIT:

Lets compare to Fallout New Vegas: (im tired of linking, just google w/ ign)

Review

GameStop Midnight Release Article

'Comprehensive' Fallout: New Vegas Patch Incoming

TGS: Getting Punchy in Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas -- Betting on a Caravan

Fallout: New Vegas Achievements Revealed

Fallout: New Vegas Has Robot Sex

Why There Are No Ladders in Fallout

Fallout: New Vegas and The Strip

Wayne Newton Survives for Fallout New Vegas

New Vegas Enjoying A Bigger Fallout

E3 Coverage

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 finalfantasy94

@Bigboi500 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@bbkkristian said:

It was generally accepted as the JRPG of the gen from a lot of websites. It made headlines for what Gamestop did with it (selling new copies as used). It made headlines for almost not releasing in the US. Lots of mainstream attention.

I bought it new day one with the art book, but I didn't enjoy what I played of it, though.

Didint know that stuff counted as mainstream attention.Just felt like regualr old gamer news.Like I said before I actually liked the combat system.Thats why im interested in playing X cause the combat looks cool but at the same time kinda eh about it since the same people who gave me the characters and story from xenoblade and like I said I found both very boring.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

Does me heart good to see people giving Lost Odyssey its props

my pick as well, although I haven't played Ni No Kuni to compare it to.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Not even close.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bigboi500

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Didint know that stuff counted as mainstream attention.Just felt like regualr old gamer news.Like I said before I actually liked the combat system.Thats why im interested in playing X cause the combat looks cool but at the same time kinda eh about it since the same people who gave me the characters and story from xenoblade and like I said I found both very boring.

It's received every bit as much (or more) mainstream attention as any Final Fantasy title ever has.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By finalfantasy94

Thanks for the links though to be honest it shows ones of the reasons I find it so overrated.People saying its one of the gods jrpgs when it personally didint do much for me.I find it actually funny it winning a characters catagory,but hey its their opinion.