Was last gen this slow early on?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by SecretPolice (21485 posts) -

Like last gen, MS comes outta the gate kicking ass and taking names with killer games whilst Sony offered few games and tons of excuses with massive cow butt hurt for the first two years but alas, cows just never learn. :P

#102 Edited by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

I think Microsoft has always had the better launch line-up. The Xbox 360 was spanking everyone's ass (only ting letting it down was the RROD) and the PS3 had a start from hell that not even Kratos could pull them out of.

I loved my Xbox 360 all day, everyday and will never forget it's extensive library of games and playing Gears online for like a year straight, absolutely hooked on it. After that the PS3 took the spot light (though they took their sweet time) with some awesome exclusives and improvements.

Near launch and onwards I think the Xbox 360 dominated and was the better console for most of the war, but damn did the PS3 catch up and arguably surpass the Xbox 360 near the end with their own library. Last gen was amazing, and the current generation of consoles have a high standard to match.

#103 Edited by tonitorsi (8297 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Like last gen, MS comes outta the gate kicking ass and taking names with killer games whilst Sony offered few games and tons of excuses with massive cow butt hurt for the first two years but alas, cows just never learn. :P

Jk. You should post more. One of the few MS supporters that I liked in this place, tbh.

#104 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2870 posts) -

So much complaining. "there is not enough games", and after "omg my game backlog is sooo long". Calm down people, there will be more than enough games, new ips, graphics will eventually become even more "next Gen", etc etc.

#105 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@sandbox3d said:
@SolidTy said:

I think every system at launch blows, and I'm there every gen. People just don't notice as they were too young and create the same threads every new generation.

Overall, sure. A system with a small library does blow.

However, last gens launch window was easily the worst to date and this gen is looking to be similar thus far.

Consoles used to launch with a killer app either day 1 or within the launch window. Then about 3 to 6 months in, other quality exclusive titles start popping up. It's really not the same these days. I could list examples from previous generations, but if you've been gaming as long as you say then you should already know.

It's understandable of course. Game development these days is a much more involving process. A studio can spend just as much time getting their engine up and running as it used to take for them to develop an entire game. You just don't see major hit titles within a year of release like we used to back in the day with series like FF, MGS, Zelda, etc..

These days it takes a console a year or more to look even remotely worth while. Back then a console would be firing on all cylinders 1 year in.

How is Wii launching with Wii Sports and Zelda, and 360 with Kameo, Perfect Dark, COD2, Project Gotham 3, Condemned, and Oblivion a few months later "the worst" launch window? I just don't understand what you guys standards are. If a bunch of AA and AAA games aren't good enough, what are you exp[ecting?

I'm using the word 'worst' comparatively. And I'm not expecting anything.

My post is fairly straight forward so I'd rather not repeat myself just to answer your questions.

Your post was fairly wrong to be honest. There have been far worse launches then those consoles so no, they aren't the worst.