Was Halo 4 as good as Halo 3 and Halo Reach?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

is the franchise dead or whats going on with it?

did the game look an feel the same or no?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Halo 2 was the pinnacle of the franchise.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 4 >>> Halo Reach.

In my opinion.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

Halo 4 got the campaign spot on and it's as good as Halo 3 and Reach.

The Multiplayer was just a poor mans COD though. Everyone who liked COD was back playing COD within a month and everyone who liked Halo muliplayer went back to older halo games.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

2 > CE> Reach >> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

God no.

Halo 4 is trash.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Nope, Halo 3 is the best console game of the franchise to date.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

No, Halo Reach was the best.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

hale 3 》 halo 4 》halo reach.

loved halo 2 the most. very much enjoyed 3 then somewhat liked 4 hated reach

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I think 4 was as good as Reach. Reach had such a rich story and it was actually sad to see those Spartans die. 4 was right up there with it. Though the story was more complex, it had great moments.

I don't hate on the MP has much as others. I played it about my normal length as any Halo.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#11 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Halo 4 is now my favorite entry in the franchise. The campaign was epic and it reached heights that Bungie never achieved. The soundtrack is also one of the best game soundtracks of recent memory.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

hale 3 》 halo 4 》halo reach.

loved halo 2 the most. very much enjoyed 3 then somewhat liked 4 hated reach

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

Halo 4 had the best campaign of the three listed. For me it's Halo 4 = Halo 3>ODST>>>>>Reach. Reach was a pile. campaign was seriously bad and MP didn't do it for me.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

There was an interesting post about Halo 4 and the online community from Neogaf that's worth a read. It shows how they lost a peek online population of 400,000 down to 20,000 a year later.

Halo 4 One year later

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Definite franchise fatigue going on with Halo.

That teaser for part 5 got so little applause.

After Halo 3 and ODST I felt burnt on these games. Didn't bother with Reach or 4.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

All excellent games, but Reach was the best, and one of the best FPS I've played.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Halo 4 has a pretty bad single player. Reach and 3s were significantly better. Halo 4 boils down to Cortana yelling at you to push a button 30 different times.

The mp was fun but relatively easy. Maps were mostly better than Reach, but they have an over reliance on forge maps still.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

Better than Reach but worse than 3. This franchise need to go back to the "one game every three years" phase, that gave Halo 2 and 3 to be hyped. If they want to make more Halo games in between then they should keep doing Halo Wars or Spartan Assault because at least those games have a different gameplay formula and didn't detract from the main releases.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Everyone on here seems to hate Halo 4 on here, however I feel the opposite.

IMO 4 was better than Reach by quite a bit (campaign, balance, maps, etc.) and I'm even willing to argue that it is as good as Halo 3. Obviously Halo 2 was the peak of the franchise though, easily the most memorable Halo game ever.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Halo 4 has a pretty bad single player. Reach and 3s were significantly better. Halo 4 boils down to Cortana yelling at you to push a button 30 different times.

The mp was fun but relatively easy. Maps were mostly better than Reach, but they have an over reliance on forge maps still.

Really never understood the love for Reach's campaign. IMO it was awkwardly written and felt rushed. The final hour of the game basically boils down to a "who can have the most epic death" contest.

You're certainly right with 3 though, that was a great campaign.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Reach was by far my favorite of the entire series then Combat Evolved, Halo 2 then Halo 3.

the main problem with Halo 4 was the Promethean - who are atrocious enemies.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Halo 4 is the only halo i skipped cuz after Reach i just lost hope in Halo. BUT if i find it for like $10 i may buy it and see sup

@R3FURBISHED said:

Reach was by far my favorite of the entire series then Combat Evolved, Halo 2 then Halo 3.

dont tell me you prefer the r*tarded brutes... those were the worst enemies seen in a video game. so ugly, so boring AND have shitty weapon.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Better multiplayer than Halo 3, better campaign than Halo Reach. The Halo games are so weird. Halo 2 has the best multiplayer but worst campaign. Halo 3 has arguably the best campaign and easily the worst multiplayer. Reach is solid all around and despite its flaws Halo 4 was a good game.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Halo 4 is the only halo i skipped cuz after Reach i just lost hope in Halo. BUT if i find it for like $10 i may buy it and see sup

@R3FURBISHED said:

dont tell me you prefer the r*tarded brutes... those were the worst enemies seen in a video game. so ugly, so boring AND have shitty weapon.

Halo 2 Brutes were absolutely better than the Promethean - cause they would actually berserk unlike Halo 3 Brutes.

Spiker, Mauler and the Gravity Hammer are all awesome weapons, especially the Gravity Hammer as it can deflect projectiles in mid air.

Prometheans were absolutely horrid enemies

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@silversix_ said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Halo 2 Brutes were absolutely better than the Promethean - cause they would actually berserk unlike Halo 3 Brutes.

Spiker, Mauler and the Gravity Hammer are all awesome weapons, especially the Gravity Hammer as it can deflect projectiles in mid air.

Prometheans were absolutely horrid enemies

I haven't played Halo4 obviously but if prometheans are worst than brutes....... we have reached a new low. They should have expanded on Halo CE enemies, killing Elites was fking great.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Was Halo 4 as good as Halo 3 and Halo Reach?

I didn't think so, I was disappointed with it and I own all the Halo games. In fact, I have doubles as I have multiple 360s I LAN. The Online numbers for Halo 4 are very low in comparison to previous Halo entries, which also suggest many, many other Halo fans agree with me. I've played Halo since Day one, Xbox 2001 launch.

Also, the world's majority of the critics also agree with me that Halo 4 wasn't as good as Halo 3 or Halo Reach, as Halo 4's metascore was the first main Halo game in the franchise to not get AAA critical status. 343 tried and tried to get that magical AAA critic approval, and there were articles on this, but they couldn't pull it off. Remember, Halo 4 was developed by a new developer as Bungie left after Halo Reach. 343 was given the very successful Halo engine and Halo assets along with some Bungie talent to create Halo 4 for Xbox 360. 343 were given the keys to a well oiled monster machine when they got the Halo franchise.

AAA = 94/100 Bungie's Halo 3 : http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-3

AAA = 91/100 Bungie's Halo Reach : http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-reach

AA = 87/100 343's (new Developer) Halo 4 : http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-4

In summary, I didn't think Halo 4 wasn't as good as Halo 3 or Halo Reach. Legions of Halo fans also didn't think Halo 4 was as good as Halo 3 or Halo Reach. Finally, the vast majority of the world's professional critics found Halo 4 to be lacking if looking at the metascore.

Hopefully, those three different answers (myself, the Halo fans, and the professional critics) provide the answer you were looking for regarding Halo 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Halo 4 was trash. I have no hope for this franchise anymore.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Halo 4 was absolute garbage. The multiplayer was crap and the campaign has one legitimately great level (Infinity).

The Prometheans suck, the storyline is a bad joke that blatantly contradicts existing Halo lore, and it was really obvious that 343 had no idea what made this franchise special. Frankly, the people who hate Reach should have lost their shit with 4, because it took all of Reach's "bad decisions" and made them worse.

I was a huge Halo fan pre-Halo 4. Now I don't care about the franchise. Halo 4 is the worst thing to happen to Halo since Halo 2's campaign.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I kind of love that there are so many conflicting opinions in this topic alone about the franchise as a whole. I remember back in their time, people called Halo 2 shitty, Halo 3 boring, and Reach the best, but it seems like all of that has been somewhat reversed.

From a story standpoint, Halo 4 definitely had a more coherent narrative than I can remember in at least Halo 2 and 3. Bungie tended to tell the story mostly through short cutscenes and what was happening was rather simplistic. I like to think 4 went a little deeper in terms of writing. But I thought the Halo 4 cutscenes, while pretty, were really dry compared to the earlier games. Towards the middle and end the cutscenes were mostly Master Chief and human characters standing around and talking.

And gameplay wise, Prometheans are boring. The gun-dog things are more annoying than the Flood ever was. The knights have their moments, but combat is just brought down by every other enemy in the fight. Halo 4 is still the most fun when fighting the Covenant. I can't help but feel that the game is a little grindy too... that second level where you have to activate three things, and the layouts were all the same (no variation in enemies or surprises), I was pretty unimpressed. Although the game does get better with some standout outdoor levels, whenever you have to run around some indoor space hitting switches the game grinds to a halt for me.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DarkLink77

@Zassimick said:

Halo 4 is now my favorite entry in the franchise. The campaign was epic and it reached heights that Bungie never achieved. The soundtrack is also one of the best game soundtracks of recent memory.

Take note, System Wars:

This is what a crazy person looks like.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have all the Halo games, and I think Halo 4 is easily the best Halo game. Best campaign and most enjoyable multiplayer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77

@Sharpie125 said:

I kind of love that there are so many conflicting opinions in this topic alone about the franchise as a whole. I remember back in their time, people called Halo 2 shitty, Halo 3 boring, and Reach the best, but it seems like all of that has been somewhat reversed.

From a story standpoint, Halo 4 definitely had a more coherent narrative than I can remember in at least Halo 2 and 3. Bungie tended to tell the story mostly through short cutscenes and what was happening was rather simplistic. I like to think 4 went a little deeper in terms of writing. But I thought the Halo 4 cutscenes, while pretty, were really dry compared to the earlier games. Towards the middle and end the cutscenes were mostly Master Chief and human characters standing around and talking.

And gameplay wise, Prometheans are boring. The gun-dog things are more annoying than the Flood ever was. The knights have their moments, but combat is just brought down by every other enemy in the fight. Halo 4 is still the most fun when fighting the Covenant. I can't help but feel that the game is a little grindy too... that second level where you have to activate three things, and the layouts were all the same (no variation in enemies or surprises), I was pretty unimpressed. Although the game does get better with some standout outdoor levels, whenever you have to run around some indoor space hitting switches the game grinds to a halt for me.

It certainly tries, but it has more narrative problems than any other game in the series.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

@ProtossX said:

The franchise is far from dead. 343i has been hinting at what they are trying to do with the next halo game recently.343i did screw up on halo 4, but the game was still a pretty good game

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Halo 4 was better then 3 and Reach.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

Halo 3 was just amazing and with Bungie supporting, the franchise was at its prime. Halo Reach I like because Bungie decided to make more of a spin off and try new ideas. Halo 4 instead of looking towards the original trilogy for guidance they took Halo Reach and codified (this is an actual word I got to google and find out what it really means) it to appeal to the masses and instead lost the majority of their fanbase in 1-4 months and their newcomers they were trying to attract left as soon as Black Ops 2 came out. The other problem is instead of supporting the game they just tease a new one.

In my opinion Halo 3 was as close to perfect as it comes. It had the community, but also had developers that took serious time to recognize what was great and made sure it got noticed by putting it in a playlist, spotlight, or top 5 list. No console game to this day IMO can touch the Halo 3 in its Golden Age where community was key to the greatness.

Storywise they are all decent maybe like this

Halo 1> Halo 4> Halo Reach> Halo 3 ODST> Halo 3> Halo 2

However I had so much fun with Halo 3 due to the arcade-like feel along with coop

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

@DarkLink77: As in presentation + exposition? I really like that they chose to have the Chief finally speak to Cortana during gameplay because it turned it into conversation I could invest in, rather than battle chatter like in 2 and 3. But I will say I didn't really understand or care for the main villain... the only reason I accepted the story was because I listened to a Rooster Teeth spoilercast.

Otherwise I thought 343 handled the adventure well enough. I understood the reasons for doing whatever we were supposed to do and it flowed relatively well.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

best halo

not as boring as the other halo games
Bleh

glad bungie moved on. I never like them.

It's a poor franchise overall. I swear to god. A fanbase that exists out of people tied to previous halo games "it's the bestest one" and rule34 fappers of Cortanca.

Lick my face

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

Halo 4 got the campaign spot on and it's as good as Halo 3 and Reach.

The Multiplayer was just a poor mans COD though. Everyone who liked COD was back playing COD within a month and everyone who liked Halo muliplayer went back to older halo games.

This nails it. SP was great, MP was meh.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I cant say campaign wise because I never actually played it yet all the way through, but the multiplayer is definitely worse than Halo 3 and Reach. It feels like it is trying to be like call of duty. Weapons all feel overpowered and kill instantly, maps are boring, ordinance drops don't feel right, and less vehicles and large open battlefields like Sand Trap and Boneyard. I also don't like the personal loadouts, I much prefer the loadouts of Invasion in Halo Reach.

Im sure there are still lots of players online, but I would much rather go back to reach and halo 3 than halo 4.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77

@Sharpie125 said:

@DarkLink77: As in presentation + exposition? I really like that they chose to have the Chief finally speak to Cortana during gameplay because it turned it into conversation I could invest in, rather than battle chatter like in 2 and 3. But I will say I didn't really understand or care for the main villain... the only reason I accepted the story was because I listened to a Rooster Teeth spoilercast.

Otherwise I thought 343 handled the adventure well enough. I understood the reasons for doing whatever we were supposed to do and it flowed relatively well.

As in it absolutely massacres the canon and much of what happens makes no goddamn sense if you actually think about it for more than ten seconds.

Oh, and 343 are incredibly poor storytellers. Their idea of good storytelling is an infodump that lasts for five minutes and raises more questions than it answers.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Halo 4 was trash. I have no hope for this franchise anymore.

My sentiments exactly.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

4 was way better than 3 and Reach. The campaign was also easily the best since Combat Evolved's.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zassimick  Moderator
@DarkLink77 said:

@Zassimick said:

Take note, System Wars:

:P It's how I felt when playing the game. Honestly, every single installment Bungie produced was fun but never felt like an epic. Even with a story like Reach, they fell short of making something powerful.

And yet when I threw myself into Halo 4, I was engrossed in Master Chief's journey, and the end levels of the game sit with me as some of the most epic I've played, fighting against the waves of knights with the music swelling in the background knowing everything was at stake was fantastic.

I get why some people may not have enjoyed the game as much as the others, but it sits with me as the best in the series.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DarkLink77
@Zassimick said:
@DarkLink77 said:

@Zassimick said:

Take note, System Wars:

:P It's how I felt when playing the game. Honestly, every single installment Bungie produced was fun but never felt like an epic. Even with a story like Reach, they fell short of making something powerful.

And yet when I threw myself into Halo 4, I was engrossed in Master Chief's journey, and the end levels of the game sit with me as some of the most epic I've played, fighting against the waves of knights with the music swelling in the background knowing everything was at stake was fantastic.

I get why some people may not have enjoyed the game as much as the others, but it sits with me as the best in the series.

Hey, if you like it, more power to you.

Personally, that game killed my all-time favorite shooter franchise. I'm still a little bitter about that.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zassimick  Moderator

@DarkLink77: If it ruined the franchise I can see why. Excited for Destiny?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DarkLink77

@Zassimick said:

@DarkLink77: If it ruined the franchise I can see why. Excited for Destiny?

Day 1, dude. I believe in Bungie.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4569 Posts

Halo 3>Halo CE>Halo 2>Reach>>>>>>>4.

Halo 4 was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I was so hyped for it and looking forward to more Halo MP. Unfortunately, it paled in comparison to previous games. Most people I know went to playing CoD or older Halo games after the game released, but mostly CoD. I hope 5 returns to the greatness, but I'm afraid the series is lost and is striving on the name alone and not the quality of the game.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

You mean that shitty game with the horrid multiplayer that was worse than reach and the phrase "armor lock"

You mean the game thwas a supposed to be a sequel but may as well been a spin-off because it has no real connection to the others and RETCONS HALF THE UNIVERSE?

You mean the one with the horrid story telling only SLIGHTLY better than Final Fantasy Xiii if you take off the goggles?

You mean the game that cut features and favorites?

You mean the game that the devs said they would listen t fans or others and they never did?

You mean the game made by the team that still managed to screw up just taking Halo 1 and putting a skin over it?

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

My ranking:

3>2>1>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach

3, 2 and 1 were basically great in all aspects.

4 had a mediocre campaign with a nonsensical story, but I thought the multiplayer was great and didn't see the whole "COD angle." Although, nothing bonded the community of 4 like 3 and Reach w/ Forge and Featured Stuff.

Reach I didn't enjoy at all: glitchy online, boring story, overpowered weapons, overdependent on forge maps since the regular ones stunk and ARMOR LOCKS,