Was Dreamcast more powerful than PS2? Why did it fail?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="Wings_008"]i think the ps2 was a little more powerful, but the DC had a lot more games by the time the ps2 was launched, and better games even, it's just that SEGA had a bad reputation which fended off fans and caused the console to fail so it's true after all, the Dreamcast did not fail, we failed the Dreamcast Wings_008

Nope, the dreamcast just failed.

..said the cow

lol nice try, its ok though, maybe in some alternate dimension teh dreamcast didnt suck ***.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Dreamcast was amazing. I hate that it failed though. Easily better than most offered today imho.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I'm actually surprised there isn't more Dreamcast love in this thread. People on the net have historically seemed to have so much positivity for it and I don't get it.

AmateurCEO
It's been ten years. Only the most diehard fans tend to keep on beyond that point. Most of what made the Dreamcast so great has either faded away or found a new home. Not to mention the units themselves are probably starting to dwindle.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HuusAsking

well dreamcast was not more powerful then ps2 , it barely ran any of its games for us to say that

the only game i know it had was unreal tournament and that game looks better on ps2 and even more better on pc

the reason it failed is obvious

but ill tell you

1 high price

2 little third party support

3 sega already struggling since the failed cd 32x add-ons and the gamegear and the saturn , this was destined to fail

4 there was no room for 4 consoles

and 5 lets see what else was wrong

thos outdated media type they used it only held about 4 gig just about the same as gamecubes mini disc

which is pretty bad considering gc only used a mini disk

mariokart64fan
(1) is incorrect since the Dreamcast launched pretty cheap: only $200 IIRC (the PS2, for comparison, launched at $300). (2) and (3) I'll give you. (4) is debatable; more like (2) and (3) meant it couldn't keep up. As for the PS2 being considerably more powerful, that's debatable, too. The hardware may have been underpowered on paper, but it was notably more efficient (take note: few GPU chips other than PowerVR--especially then--are smart enough to skip unseen parts of the rendering).
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Nope it failed simply because Sega lacked the money to support it any further and it was easy to pirate the hell out of. The DC had plenty of games. Even an AAAA. It would of had more if it survived any further.

myke2010

^^This.

Sony probably spent more on advertising the PS2 then Sega spent in total on the Dreamcast. It's hard to compete when your competition can outspend you 3-4 times over.

It's not for Nintendo. ;)
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I dunno. I don't think their was anything better looking on the PS2 than Shenmue at the time. An Shenmue was ported to the XBOX and not the PS2. I wonder why. :roll:

Crossel777
Maybe because Sega still felt bitter at Sony?
Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

2 questions as in topic. Want some answers!

While I could EASILY go into specs, the answer to your question is :

PS2>>>>Dreamcast as far as Power (Polygons, Textures, etc.). The only thing the DC had was easy AA.

It failed due to the Saturn fans and earlier fans not wanting to go for it again, and early launch. They needed to hit 5 MILLION Install base to help it succeed, but people lost trust in SEGA at that point (After Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn). People that bought that Saturn felt Burned. Also, the PS2 having DVD playback, and coming off the amazing PSOne success a huge thread.

You know what, here is a fantastic series I love to watch, and it's not as detailed as I could write about, but it will help you out Mr. Krinkles.

PLAYVALUE LINK. AWESOME WATCH!

Let me know what you think of this video anyone who watches it. I dug it up for any who read my post. :)

Not exactly. This is when Sony really started to toss around theoretical numbers to skew a power difference. While I still think the PS2 had a little more real world power, the DC's architecture was an extremely efficient architecture. The DC used was was called a tiling based architecture. It would only draw pixels visible to the camera. To give an example, say you drew a box on the screen with 9 boxes sitting behind it that you can't see. The DC would only draw the first box(actually only the front of the first box) since it was the only one the camera could see, while the PS2 would draw all 10 boxes in their entirety. Now if the camera moved over to the side where all boxes were visible to the camera, the PS2's extra power would make it faster than the DC when their rendering load was the same. So the real world power between the two varied greatly, and was directly proportional to the amount of pixels that are overlapped in relation to the camera. It's fair to say the DC worked smarter, not harder. Now current hardware does advanced Z culling that would have taken away much of the advantage of a tiling architecture(Z culling does the same basic thing, just on a per pixel basis, so it computationally is a little more taxing than doing it on groups of pixel or "tiles").
Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Released too early, so too many of the games were PS1 ports as opposed to full on next gen games. Sega were going for an arcade in the home theme but too many of their games were pretty shallow as a result. Shenmue was terrific and the sonic games on there were chock full of features but things like Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi were not really designed to be played for hours on end and gamers pick up on that.

I blame sega overall. Good console. Bad tactics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

So much stupidity and false facts in this thread...

For example:

thos outdated media type they used it only held about 4 gig just about the same as gamecubes mini disc

which is pretty bad considering gc only used a mini diskmariokart64fan

What a nonsense, the GD-ROM can hold only about 1 GB of data (you can read on thewikipedia it's 1,2 GB, but that's wrong), which is less than a GC disc, which holds up to 1.36 GB.

Also, there's no way in hell Dreamcast is more powerful than Playstation 2...

AmateurCEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 AmateurCEO
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="AmateurCEO"]

I'm actually surprised there isn't more Dreamcast love in this thread. People on the net have historically seemed to have so much positivity for it and I don't get it.

HuusAsking
It's been ten years. Only the most diehard fans tend to keep on beyond that point. Most of what made the Dreamcast so great has either faded away or found a new home. Not to mention the units themselves are probably starting to dwindle.

Fair enough. Although I would say that classic Nintendo systems continue to have a strong niche fan base. Also, way to make me feel old. :)
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#62 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No, it deffinately wasn't more powerful than the PS2. I've never seen any one who said it was...

And it failed for a couple of reasons. First of all, people had lost faith in Sega after the Saturn turned out to be a huge disappointment. And they never really had that much support. Ea didn't make any games for the Dreamcast, and that hurt Sega a lot.

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Wait the DC is more powerful than the PS2? Wow i always thought it was like a PS1.5, especially the games it ran.

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

SolidTy

PS2>>>>Dreamcast as far as Power (Polygons, Textures, etc.). The only thing the DC had was easy AA.

It failed due to the Saturn fans and earlier fans not wanting to go for it again, and early launch. They needed to hit 5 MILLION Install base to help it succeed, but people lost trust in SEGA at that point (After Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn). People that bought that Saturn felt Burned. Also, the PS2 having DVD playback, and coming off the amazing PSOne success a huge thread.

You know what, here is a fantastic series I love to watch, and it's not as detailed as I could write about, but it will help you out Mr. Krinkles.

Let me know what you think of this video anyone who watches it. I dug it up for any who read my post. :)

A lot of what they said made sense. One thing Sega could never grasp was that you need to be happy with your console for the whole gen, you can't release upgrades or different versions, no one wants it and it just splits your user base.

I remember being interested in the Dreamcast but I started reading rumors about a new version which could play DVDs so I thought i'd wait, and in that time, the console died anyway.

Not having EA on side is a big problem, because specific sports titles are crucial to success in both Europe and NA. Madden and Basketball in NA and not having Fifa in Europe is just console suicide. Dreamcast also lacked PES.

There are people who just play football games (and for some it's their main focus for games) in Europe its THAT important. If EA and Konami suddenly decided to stop supporting either the X360 or PS3 with football games in Europe, the other console could be declared the winner for that region then and there.

digi-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 digi-demon
Member since 2010 • 803 Posts
PS2 shifts more polys than DC and its GPU is faster - hence it is more 'powerful' when programmed properly. Consider this, these improved tech specs didn't automatically make its games look or play any better than any other format, most games that were out on launch were abysmal, Fantavision was one of the highlights for god sake! - but like always its down to the Developers/Programmers to show what power is under the hood and by mid 2003 PS2 games were graphically much better. Again, not sure what Shenmue 1/2 would have turned out like on PS2? no real game similar enough to Judge...suppose PS2 Yakuza is a vaguely similar style of game by the same company on theoretically 'superior hardware' - but in comparison terms IMO it can't compete presentation wise. That tech info about the GD Rom capacity @ approx 1GB is correct, miss the CUBE & DC's zippy load times - have to install games these days to get anything like those speeds, DVD drives & BluRay are still to slow.
SLI_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SLI_Gamer
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts

ps2 was superior hardware wise, it was pretty much like 2 gpus + the psone chip. Onlinewise dreamcast was even after dead more played than ps2.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

Darth_DuMas

A lot of what they said made sense. One thing Sega could never grasp was that you need to be happy with your console for the whole gen, you can't release upgrades or different versions, no one wants it and it just splits your user base.

I remember being interested in the Dreamcast but I started reading rumors about a new version which could play DVDs so I thought i'd wait, and in that time, the console died anyway.

Not having EA on side is a big problem, because specific sports titles are crucial to success in both Europe and NA. Madden and Basketball in NA and not having Fifa in Europe is just console suicide. Dreamcast also lacked PES.

There are people who just play football games (and for some it's their main focus for games) in Europe its THAT important. If EA and Konami suddenly decided to stop supporting either the X360 or PS3 with football games in Europe, the other console could be declared the winner for that region then and there.

The thing is that all the "PS2 is more powerful" fans are forgetting that the PowerVR in the Dreamcast is considerably more efficient for a given clock. Picturing them as engines, the Graphics Synthesizer may have had more horsepower, but the PowerVR had higher fuel efficiency. One of the most notable features of the PowerVR was its ability to skip parts of the rendering that would never be seen: either because they were blocked by something in front or because they were off-screen. The Graphics Synthesizer had no such ability, and the ability only reached modern PC GPUs in recent years.

Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

In some aspects the dreamcast was more powerful, in others it was weaker. It failed because people bought into sony's hype. Hilariously, some people still buy into it.

topgunmv

what hype? it had the better games by far? Xbox had no games, gamecube onlyhad a few.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

One thing I've never understood is why people say that the Dreamcast is better than textures. If it is, then why do almost all of it's games seem to struggle with textures in comparison with the PS2? I don't get it.

topgunmv

Look it up on wikipedia.

I seriously dont believe that the DCwould ever achievegraphics like MGS3.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

In some aspects the dreamcast was more powerful, in others it was weaker. It failed because people bought into sony's hype. Hilariously, some people still buy into it.

Ultizer

what hype? it had the better games by far? Xbox had no games, gamecube onlyhad a few.

1) It was the successor to the smash success PlayStation; many of its landmark titles were sequels to popular franchises on the PS1 (FF10-12, GT3&4, MGS2&3, etc.). 2) It was the first console with a built-in DVD player at a time when DVD was just hitting its prime.
digi-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 digi-demon
Member since 2010 • 803 Posts

Being a sucessor to a critically sucessful piece of hardware does not guarantee it being superior to others in the market - the release of the N64 proved this.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
1. Doesnt matter but no. I dont think it was. 2. Bad games selection, bad controller, no dvd, bad company rep, No support from EA.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Sega lost their customer base with an all-too-frequent turnover of hardware and lack of 3rd party support (mostly due to the devs being unable to keep up with the new hardware). That's why the Dreamcast failed.

Sony learned a valuable lesson with the ps2, that the home console can, and should, be more than justa game playing device. People responded that they wanted versatility, and Sony continues to cater to that.

As for which was more powerful, I have no idea. Tech aspects should surely be easy to find on the web.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

The first answer is easy...... No.

The second could be harder if I cared to get into but I don't so the simple answer is......

Sony's money & influence ( no EA games for DC :evil: ) and of course the Cows !!!

:P

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_DuMas"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

HuusAsking

The thing is that all the "PS2 is more powerful" fans are forgetting that the PowerVR in the Dreamcast is considerably more efficient for a given clock. Picturing them as engines, the Graphics Synthesizer may have had more horsepower, but the PowerVR had higher fuel efficiency. One of the most notable features of the PowerVR was its ability to skip parts of the rendering that would never be seen: either because they were blocked by something in front or because they were off-screen. The Graphics Synthesizer had no such ability, and the ability only reached modern PC GPUs in recent years.

Wait, hold on. This ability to skip parts of rendering was one of the improvements Rockstar did with GTA VC on the PS2, which was why it looked better than GTA3. Maybe the GPU in the PS2 was'nt far ahead of the DC's GPU in terms of power. But the PS2's CPU was.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="Steppy_76"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="mr-krinkles"]

Not exactly. This is when Sony really started to toss around theoretical numbers to skew a power difference. While I still think the PS2 had a little more real world power, the DC's architecture was an extremely efficient architecture. The DC used was was called a tiling based architecture. It would only draw pixels visible to the camera. To give an example, say you drew a box on the screen with 9 boxes sitting behind it that you can't see. The DC would only draw the first box(actually only the front of the first box) since it was the only one the camera could see, while the PS2 would draw all 10 boxes in their entirety. Now if the camera moved over to the side where all boxes were visible to the camera, the PS2's extra power would make it faster than the DC when their rendering load was the same. So the real world power between the two varied greatly, and was directly proportional to the amount of pixels that are overlapped in relation to the camera. It's fair to say the DC worked smarter, not harder. Now current hardware does advanced Z culling that would have taken away much of the advantage of a tiling architecture(Z culling does the same basic thing, just on a per pixel basis, so it computationally is a little more taxing than doing it on groups of pixel or "tiles").

NV G80's "Early-Z is a more fine-grained occlusion culling method that looks at a calculated Z value of a fragment before it hits the pixel pipeline"(1). 1. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2116/7
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#77 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="TBoogy"]NO, the PS2 was more powerful.

But it was not the "10 times more powerful" that Sony claimed before it's release (we all know how Sony hypes specs). I hate that they lied, and got people to wait for the ps2 (or sell their Dreamcasts after the ps2 came out).

This coupled with:

1. The fact that the Dreamcast had way better games before it crashed. The first year of the PS2 was just as bad or worse than 1st year PS3.

2. The fact that Sony fanboys were just as annoying then as now (maybe even more)

= made me dislike Sony, something I still struggle with. I have a hard time letting go...garland51

Well, we can safely say that karma finally caught up with Sony & their fanboys for this gen.

Outside of not being able to brag about being in first place...not really. PS3 still has an impressive line up.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#78 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

More powerfull than the PS2 it wasn´t,better games than the PS2 until it died,it had.

[spoiler] Damn,I sound like Yoda :P [/spoiler]

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

So much stupidity and false facts in this thread...

For example:

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]...

which is pretty bad considering gc only used a mini diskWESTBLADE

What a nonsense, the GD-ROM can hold only about 1 GB of data (you can read on thewikipedia it's 1,2 GB, but that's wrong), which is less than a GC disc, which holds up to 1.36 GB.

Also, there's no way in hell Dreamcast is more powerful than Playstation 2...

Are you from Czech Republic? If so, then welcome, neighbour. I've never seen you before, my Slavic brother. Stick around. And you're absolutely correct with your explanation about GD-ROM and GC Disc.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

it was ahead of its time for sure, but i belive the ps2 was more powerfull though. Even if the GCN and xbox where more powerfull then the ps2 though

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="Darth_DuMas"]

Martin_G_N

Wait, hold on. This ability to skip parts of rendering was one of the improvements Rockstar did with GTA VC on the PS2, which was why it looked better than GTA3. Maybe the GPU in the PS2 was'nt far ahead of the DC's GPU in terms of power. But the PS2's CPU was.

Hmm...I believe you're talking about the model culling techniques introduced into the Renderware-based engine used in Vice City. It's engine-specific and may have weaknesses, but I can see where you're going there. Now enlighten me further. Just how much better is the 333MHz Emotion Engine compared to the 200MHz SH-4 used in the Dreamcast?
brianBeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 brianBeezy
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

I wonder if the PS2 at the time could even handle Shenmue 1&2.

hakanakumono

Uhm, obviously yes? We're talking about the difference between 1998 hardware and 2000 hardware.

Actually Shenmue 2 on xbox dosn't really look any better than Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast--a testiment to dreamcast's true power, having played the game on both...I think it looked better on Dreamcast. No one knows what Dreamcast would have been able to do given more time. Soul Calubur DC still looks more amazing than Tekken tag or even 4 on PS2, maybe five is a bit better, maybe.

direct comparison between Shenmue 2 on DC vs xbox (the system said be stonger than PS2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRLKGZxUNDM

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

More powerfull than the PS2 it wasn´t,better games than the PS2 until it died,it had.

Arach666

This.

It launched with a AAAAe

It had the best version of MvC2

Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Rez, Grandia 2, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena, Powerstone, PSO, and many more.

The system was loaded with AAA quality for the two years it existed.

And to people that are wondering why some games like Shenmue went to the Xbox. After the Dreamcast died Sega became a software-only developer (duh), and basically sent all their different franchises to the other systems. There's no bias, it was basically just them cutting a piece of the pie for everyone. I'm not sure of all the technicalities of it all though.

Virtua Fighter found it's home on the PS2, Gamecube got Sonic Adventure and Skies of Arcadia, and the Xbox had the best of all with Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, and Jet Set Radio Future.

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

[QUOTE="myke2010"]

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Nope it failed simply because Sega lacked the money to support it any further and it was easy to pirate the hell out of. The DC had plenty of games. Even an AAAA. It would of had more if it survived any further.

Rockman999

^^This.

Sony probably spent more on advertising the PS2 then Sega spent in total on the Dreamcast. It's hard to compete when your competition can outspend you 3-4 times over.

It's not for Nintendo. ;)

The N64 wasn't the colossal failure the Saturn was. Nintendo still made a nice little profit that gen.

brianBeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 brianBeezy
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

ps2 was more powerfull than dreamcast in terms of doing things more than once.

dreamcast games looked pretty on paper but in motion they didnt look and feel as good as ps2 games.

btw, GOW2 > anything on Dreamcast

ZoomZoom2490

MGS2, MGS3, SoTC, GT4 sure but DC only produced game for 2 years in the states 1999-2000. let's go back and try some games from that time frame and see how DC stands up. and what year did GOW 2 come out in again?

all games no later than 2000 say hello

Image 20and DOA 2 came out out PS2 a year later than DC..guess which version was superior?Image 20Image 28Image 81Image 1Try compairing this to FFX and realize it blows it out of the waterImage 173Image 145Image 175Image 196Image 200Image 233
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

mr-krinkles
no and lack of a dvd player.
gammon56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 gammon56
Member since 2009 • 779 Posts

mr-krinkles
Because graphics dont make a game or a system its the game play. omg! don't tell cows though they'll kill you if you say it too much
jetslalom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jetslalom
Member since 2010 • 574 Posts

topgunmv

the playstation brand did more for gaming than any other console brand, if it wasnt for sony we would still be playing side scrollers. ps1 had the best games, ps2 had the best games, and now ps3 has the best games. every1 else just copies

gammon56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 gammon56
Member since 2009 • 779 Posts
[QUOTE="jetslalom"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

the playstation brand did more for gaming than any other console brand, if it wasnt for sony we would still be playing side scrollers. ps1 had the best games, ps2 had the best games, and now ps3 has the best games. every1 else just copies

Because you're not a fanboy at all.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

jetslalom

Nintendo. End of Argument.
Cow_tipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Cow_tipping
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

topgunmv

yeah and now people buying xbox 360 hype

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

Dreamcast failed for the following reasons:

1) Piracy was bliss on it. You didnt need to mod the console what so ever

2) Sega gave up far too quickly on their ideas (DreamEye)

3) Sony overhyped what the playstation 2 would be

4) Support went very fast to playstation 2 litterally destroying the DC

5) Sega themselves didnt produce enough titles fast enough

6) Sega made the Sega Satarn and Sega 32x. Both lacked support. More of a reason to think Dreamcast wouldve been the same

Its a shame, i still have my dreamcast and love it.

Cow_tipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cow_tipping
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

i remember a couple of years ago i was able to get a dreamcast for $20

to think that i was one of those that got the original dreamcast at launch for $200

to me a big thing that hurt the dreamcast was no EA games and playstation 2 had a madden game at launch that was good unlike the madden that launched with the xbox360 that lacked so many features

after EA others followed kind of like how wall mart stopped selling hd dvd's and others followed

not sure about this but also i think sega was using some technology from MS and that might have been what lead MS to join the console war and that left sega with out tech they needed for another system which is why they stopped making systems after dreamcast

one last thing that i remember the system had issues as well dreamcast was known as a easy system to develop for but yet tons of games had glitches and issues some games had to get re-released with a sticker that said "new" and i remember there was legal copy of games that would work on my dreamcast not but work on friends dreamcast

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
[QUOTE="Martin_G_N"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]The thing is that all the "PS2 is more powerful" fans are forgetting that the PowerVR in the Dreamcast is considerably more efficient for a given clock. Picturing them as engines, the Graphics Synthesizer may have had more horsepower, but the PowerVR had higher fuel efficiency. One of the most notable features of the PowerVR was its ability to skip parts of the rendering that would never be seen: either because they were blocked by something in front or because they were off-screen. The Graphics Synthesizer had no such ability, and the ability only reached modern PC GPUs in recent years.

HuusAsking

Hmm...I believe you're talking about the model culling techniques introduced into the Renderware-based engine used in Vice City. It's engine-specific and may have weaknesses, but I can see where you're going there. Now enlighten me further. Just how much better is the 333MHz Emotion Engine compared to the 200MHz SH-4 used in the Dreamcast?

I would guess quite alot, at least in terms of calculations. DC's 1.4G.flops vs PS2's 6G.flops. The Xbox had 1.5G.flops, and the GC had 1.9G.flops. Not just had it a higher clock than the DC, but it was also more powerfull per clock. The bandwidth was alot higher aswell. It was the Emotion Engine that kept the PS2 in the fight against the Xbox and GC's much better GPU's. It was the fastest CPU last gen.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts
LOL does it matter TBH they both looked horrible compared to the GC and Xbox
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

because graphics dont make a game

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

topgunmv

Sony had reason to hype debatablythe greatest gaming system to date. So no its not funny or odd that ppl got exited for ps3s hype.

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

same reason ps3 is failing to the wii, casuals :/

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#99 Willy105  Online
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts
The Dreamcast was not as powerful as the PS2. And a console's power does not relate to success. In fact, being the most powerful usually guarantees it won't be #1.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

how that console got anywhere with only 1 thumbstick is mind boggeling.

warmaster670

At that time developers didn't really know how to properly exploit the dual analog configuration anyway. Most late PS1 and early PS2 games merely used the left stick as a substitute for the d-pad and often ignored the right stick entirely.