Warren Spector reaches a new low. Epic Mickey 2 is terrible.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by runbleduck (578 posts) -

Finished the demo for both 3DS and PS3 version. The 3DS version is especially terrible: long boring unskippable intro; slow, simplistic gameplay that has tons of interrupting moments where you have to take out the stylus and fill/erase out a shape on the touch screen to make a platform or barrier on the top screen appear/disappear. Slight variation of this occurs every couple seconds of walking forward.

The PS3 version feels like it's a port of the first game. The camera, when using the dual analog controls, is slightly better, but overall it still sucks. Camera stuttering still occurs, and many times the context sensitve button inputs does not register.

Deus Ex: Invisible War -> Epic Mickey -> Epic Mickey 2

#2 Posted by locopatho (20360 posts) -
I didn't really like the first one so not too surprised. People put too much emphasis on one guy when it takes a whole team to make a great game.
#3 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
The platforming on the 3DS is fine. It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.
#4 Posted by TecmoGirl (3965 posts) -

I didn't even know it had been released. But if true, that's a shame. I still remember when the concept art of the first game were first released -- thought it was end up being one of the best games ever. Now nobody even talks about it.

#5 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -
Cool demo story, bro.
#6 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised, since I hated the first game.

#7 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -
That sucks. Hopefully its not as bad as you say. I was looking forward to this game
#8 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I didn't have good impressions of the PS3 demo. I was always way more hyped for the 3DS version though. I'll try out the 3DS demo when it hits the eshop. As long as it provides a decent amount of Castle of Illusion nostalgia and has decent gameplay I'll be satisfied with it. Doesn't need to be spectacular. Just needs to be a competent platformer and bring back fond memories of Castle of Illusion. It's pretty much the only 3DS game coming out for a while that I actually have some interest in.

#9 Posted by TheEroica (13692 posts) -
Cool demo story, bro. santoron
This ^^^ I think the demo and the concept were both fine. Looking forward to cooping this with my sons. Good positive family game with some thought. Im in.
#10 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

The first one was pretty bad, so I wasn't expecting much from this one either.

#11 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

The first one was awful. Warren Spector is becoming the new Peter Molyneux. The way he talks about and hypes these games is ridiculous.

#12 Posted by Slashkice (13231 posts) -

3DS demo was just bad aside from the presentation. I didn't complete the PS3 demo since I bailed once I saw they were forcing co-op on me. :>

#13 Posted by Wanderer5 (25721 posts) -

Power of Illusion could have been fine if the painting didn't get get so tedious and interrupt the gameplay so much. Also yeah that opening cutscene is dreadfully long that you can't skip.>.> Haven't played EP2's demo yet, but I not excited for it, plus I don't like the sound of forced co-op.

#14 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -
I'll just wait and see.
#15 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

yeah but he worked on the Rocky and Bullwinkle RPG and that's pretty awesome

#16 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Man he used to make all sorts of epic stuff back in the day

#17 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.OreoMilkshake
Ouch, that's harsh :?

#18 Posted by silversix_ (14781 posts) -
First was bad, the sequel is bad, what's new?
#19 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.yellonet

I don't like you.

#20 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

The first one felt like an N64 era game. Not a good one either.

I didn't even know they were attempting a sequel.

#21 Posted by Big_Pecks (5345 posts) -

It got a 2nd chance at life and flopped. Just let it die in peace.

#22 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
Their first mistake IMO was going with the title "Epic Mickey." It was not only self-congratulatory sounding, but also bland and completely uninspired. They literally just took the name the press was calling it ("Warren Spector's epic Mickey game"), and ran with it. Turns out, it was not nearly as epic as people were hoping, and it all around just wasn't that hot.
#23 Posted by dracolich55 (2343 posts) -
Man, what happened to this man? Once the creator of one of the best games of all time (System Shock 1 and Deus Ex). RIP, Warren Spector the gaming god.
#24 Posted by lazerface216 (7517 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.yellonet

castle of illusion is classic...

#25 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.lazerface216

Not sure if sarcasm, but I really enjoyed that game in its day. Lots of fun.

Still, I'd be disappointed paying full price for a game that plays like that now.

#26 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

Man, what happened to this man? Once the creator of one of the best games of all time (System Shock 1 and Deus Ex). RIP, Warren Spector the gaming god.dracolich55

What happened? He lost the teams that actually had the talent to make those games. Spector is nothing more than a designer, and without a good dev team his ideas aren't worth sh*t.

#27 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that's considered a compliment :P

#28 Posted by Jankarcop (9615 posts) -

From Deus Ex to Epick Mickey 2......consoles...do you now realize how evil you truely are?

#29 Posted by lazerface216 (7517 posts) -

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="yellonet"]Ouch, that's harsh :?

sandbox3d

Still, I'd be disappointed paying full price for a game that plays like that now.

no sarcasm. had it for the genesis as a kid so the nostalgia kicks into overdrive.

#30 Posted by lazerface216 (7517 posts) -

From Deus Ex to Epick Mickey 2......consoles...do you now realize how evil you truely are?

Jankarcop

:twisted:

#31 Posted by locopatho (20360 posts) -

Jankarcop
Every Deus Ex game is on console too. Not to mention the series is improved since he left (Human Rev > Invisible War)
#32 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

sandbox3d

I'm just gonna say I disagree and leave it at that. I had enough of these arguments in the lead up to the release of Rayman Origins.

#33 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

sandbox3d

It's not a full price game.

#34 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

OreoMilkshake

It's not a full price game.

Oh cool, I didnt mean to emphasize on that. I guess what I would say is I would not pay for a game like that at all these days. I loved it then, but it did not age very well at all.

#35 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

burgeg

I'm just gonna say I disagree and leave it at that. I had enough of these arguments in the lead up to the release of Rayman Origins.

I'm not sure what you mean? I have nothing against 2d games. As a matter of fact I LOVE 2d games. 2d platformers are probably my favorite genre. I just don't think the gameplay of CoI holds up too well.

#36 Posted by AznbkdX (3221 posts) -

Pretty much expected this game not to do well.

Epic Mickey had a good premise, but its gameplay failed. Probably very similar to this game as well (mind you I haven't seen much of it so take this with a grain of salt).

I wouldn't count the man out yet though. Most of the talent is the team after all.

Plus he's had a fairly nice track record before doing the EM series.

#37 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

I'm not sure what you mean? I have nothing against 2d games. As a matter of fact I LOVE 2d games. 2d platformers are probably my favorite genre. I just don't think the gameplay of CoI holds up too well.

But it's not the basic gameplay mechanics themselves that don't hold up. A well done 2D platformer in the same vein of COI would be more than worth playing today. If it's good enough, it's worth paying full price for even if the basic mechanics are based on those from an early 16 bit title.

#38 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]It plays like the Mickey games on the Genesis and SNES.burgeg

I don't like you.

I don't like you either those Genesis games were awesome.

#39 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]I'm just gonna say I disagree and leave it at that. I had enough of these arguments in the lead up to the release of Rayman Origins.

burgeg

But it's not the basic gameplay mechanics themselves that don't hold up. A well done 2D platformer in the same vein of COI would be more than worth playing today. If it's good enough, it's worth paying full price for even if the basic mechanics are based on those from an early 16 bit title.

I guess I need to check it out for myself. I'm not opposed to "dated"gameplay(or even graphics). I still regularly play 8 and 16 bit games. I just remember trying to play the COI about a year ago and it didnt feel good at all. Not like popping in SMB3, SMW, Yoshis Island, etc..

I took Oreos post as it literally feeling like CoI. If that's the case then I wouldn't want it. If its just the same rough idea, but more refined then I might like it.

#40 Posted by runbleduck (578 posts) -
First was bad, the sequel is bad, what's new?silversix_
The sequel appears to be worse: just like the first game but with forced, shoehorned co-op mode.
#41 Posted by runbleduck (578 posts) -
and to think they had over 500 staff members working on this game. The game's budget is probably over 100 million dollars. This is going to be an epic bomb alright--even more so than the first.
#42 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

I guess I need to check it out for myself. I'm not opposed to "dated"gameplay(or even graphics). I still regularly play 8 and 16 bit games. I just remember trying to play the COI about a year ago and it didnt feel good at all. Not like popping in SMB3, SMW, Yoshis Island, etc..

I took Oreos post as it literally feeling like CoI. If that's the case then I wouldn't want it. If its just the same rough idea, but more refined then I might like it.

I played it a few months ago and still enjoyed it after getting used to the controls again. The stages are very creative and fun. And personally I wasn't a fan of SMB3. Never played it back in the day though, so the nostalgia was completely absent when I played it. I can actually go back and enjoy SMB1 more than 3 simply because I have the nostalgia for it so the fond memories help me ignore the dated aspects. Ah nostalgia, how useful you are...

#43 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Why are you trying to skip the intro the first time you play it?
#44 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

Cool demo story, bro.santoron

Demos = About 95% of the finished, full game.

#45 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

The first one sucked anyway.

#46 Posted by Wild_man_22 (614 posts) -

Played the demo on XBl and it wasn't a very good demo to show what the game is all about I think. Plus the controls felt kind of off. The right stick controls the camera and brush which felt really awkward especially with how much you need to adjust the the camera at times. I wonder if it'll play better with a Wii remote or not. I still don't know why they added voice acting however Oswald and his girlfriends voices are horribly annoying, and so is the Navi/Guide character(can't think of his name atm). I miss the animated cutscenes as well.

I'm pretty excited for dreamrifts game though. I really liked Henry hatsworth and Monster Tale. Hopefully the 3ds game turns out great at least.

#47 Posted by KBFloYd (13794 posts) -

Why are you trying to skip the intro the first time you play it?Sali217

because trhey don't care about the game...they just want to play it so they can go on a forum and talk trash about it.

#48 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

This is the very last big game from Disney, after it it's all mobile and social, so I doubt they put enough effort and resources into Epic Mickey 2. Disney simply wants to get out of console market ASAP.

#49 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8971 posts) -

This is the very last big game from Disney, after it it's all mobile and social, so I doubt they put enough effort and resources into Epic Mickey 2. Disney simply wants to get out of console market ASAP.

AdrianWerner
I don't want Warren Spector to become Disney's slave...Doug Church, the second most important person from Origin Systems / Looking Glass is now at Valve. Ken Levine, third mord important person from the same circle has also relatively stable future at Irrational Games :(
#50 Posted by hippiesanta (9884 posts) -
Warren Spectator is Arrogant .... he deserve that bad treatment