Want to change your N3DS SD card? You'll need a screwdriver.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Hey there kids! Going to buy a NEW 3DS? Great! Gonna buy lots of games? Super great! Did you manage to get your hands on one of dem there Majora's Mask edition New 3DS? Super ultra mega hyper fantabulous great!

Wanna upgrade your console's Micro SD Card? GREA- welp...You'll need a screwdriver first...Isn't that swell?

Link.

The most annoying thing about the new 3DS? You can't just put in a new SD card, like you could in the old system. Instead of popping off the SD card cover, like you could on the older systems, the new 3DS requires the use of tools

Full disclosure: yesterday, Nintendo provided me with a new 3DS unit, for coverage purposes. But, getting the system up and running has been a headache. Mostly, it's because the SD card slot is underneath the hood. You need to pop off the back plate of the 3DS, which you can only do with a screwdriver. According to the manual, you need a #0 screwdriver:

According to the screwdriver set that I purchased yesterday, I acquired a #0 screwdriver. But for whatever reason, it didn't work. So I ordered another screwdriver set from Amazon, in the hopes that maybe it'll have whatever size it is that I need to unscrew the top off, so I can put in my SD card, so I can play my god damn games.

BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE!!

And don't even get me started on the headaches around transferring accounts and games. Get this: you can only have your Nintendo Network ID account active on one 3DS at a time. Except, Nintendo banks on many users having multiple 3DSes. That's why they're not packing the power cord into the boxes with the new 3DS: they assume it's likely that people will already have a 3DS, so why inundate them with AC adapters? By that same logic, why can't I link my account on multiple 3DSes? I'm not saying I should be able to have multiple copies of the same game across multiple systems or whatever, but man, setting up a new 3DS shouldn't be this annoying. Then again, it sort of feels like Nintendo just being Nintendo, doesn't it?

...Now, I know Nintendo thinks that this isn't a big super duper deal. All that matters are the games, right? WRONG!

See...My question is...Why? All of these things, (No charger included with NEW console, Having to use a screwdriver just to change the SD card, can only have ONE of your NNID accounts active on ONE 3DS at a time..), are unnecessary!!

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Thank you, Nintendo.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PikachuDude860

Nintendo, your one of the best, if not THE best developer and publisher out there. But somethimes you just make me scratch my head. You just...WHY?

BTW, here is a pic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Nintendo Network ID thing is literally two year old news, man.

And I'm struggling to think of why a household might not have screwdrivers.

Again, this doesn't affect me *shrug*

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The brand new iPhone doesn't even have an slot for one.

3DS > iPhone

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@pikachudude860: This is classic Nintendo.

The Wii U under-performing has them doing things in other areas to generate profit (remove ac adapters, amiibos, etc). It really is lame about the Nintendo Network ID, but I already knew about that as I own multiple Nintendo systems and they are ass backwards on how they handle e-purchases. The changing of an SD card requiring a screwdriver is equally lame.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Nintendo being backward and hypocritical? Nah.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Wow really? who doesn't have a screw driver or $2 to go and buy one.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

I gotta agree with everyone said, this is old news indeed but it never fails to at least re-post this news to the average joe.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Fucking transfer system is gross

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PikachuDude860

@charizard1605 said:

Hmm. Wasn't aware of that being two years old. News to me.

The pic above says that you'll need a certain screwdriver in order to open the console up. It seems that you could damage the screws otherwise. I do not what kind of screwdriver that is...

I don't have a problem personally with any of this. I'm still buying a N3DS one day. But that doesn't make it "OK" to not include AC adapters and stuff. Consoles these days should have everything they need to work properly.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@pikachudude860 said:

Nintendo, your one of the best, if not THE best developer and publisher out there. But somethimes you just make me scratch my head. You just...WHY?

They're crazy. End of.

#gothirdparty #stopmakingshittyhardware #neverbuydigitalNintendogames

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

The brand new iPhone doesn't even have an slot for one.

3DS > iPhone

iPhone >>> 3DS

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PikachuDude860

@SolidTy said:

The Wii U underperforming has them doing things in other areas to generate profit (remove ac adapters, amiibos, etc). It really is lame about the Nintendo Network ID, but I already knew about that as I own multiple Nintendo systems and they are ass backwards on how they handle e-purchases. The changing of an SD card requiring a screwdriver is equally lame.

You may be on to something there. Sad thing is, I doubt that Nintendo is even making that much profit off of stuff like this.

As long as we keep getting good games, we'll just have to grin and bear it.

@locopatho said:
@pikachudude860 said:

They're crazy. End of.

All three of those wouldn't apply to Nintendo if they just did the right thing. I don't agree with them going 3rd party, but if we don't see an "Ultra NES" next gen, something seriously needs to change. New management or something. But I fear that THAT could make things worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Why can't 3DS be Vita?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@pikachudude860 said:

@SolidTy said:

The Wii U under-performing has them doing things in other areas to generate profit (remove ac adapters, amiibos, etc). It really is lame about the Nintendo Network ID, but I already knew about that as I own multiple Nintendo systems and they are ass backwards on how they handle e-purchases. The changing of an SD card requiring a screwdriver is equally lame.

You may be on to something there. Sad thing is, I doubt that Nintendo is even making that much profit off of stuff like this.

That's why I buy Nintendo, for the games. I just wish they were better in other areas so I could give them more financial support, but as it is, I avoid buying digital with them.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

they should have had a screwdriver tip on the stylus.

The Network ID account system is Nintendo's biggest sin. It's a clunky and awkward cash grab that imo backfires huge. If they had a unified account system where you could log your account on any device now or in the future, it would make dowloadable software more valuable to the consumer. They would feel more comfortable purchasing it rather than worry about if they are putting on the right device or not. Making the customer repurchase the same software over and over is just shady business practice imo.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

So? What kind of person doesn't have a screwdriver?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@darkspineslayer: What are you buying from the PSN sale btw?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I am more bugged by it being a mini SD card. Why punish consumers who have a 3DS and want to jump to the new version? It is already hassle enough transferring over but now you have to make the transfer from an SD card to a micro SD card.

SDXC are not supported unless you revert it to fat32 which is just unwieldy and unnecessary work.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By locopatho

@pikachudude860 said:

All three of those wouldn't apply to Nintendo if they just did the right thing.

They haven't "done the right thing" for decades now and I don't expect they ever will. They'll always be backwards and gamer and dev unfriendly.

At this point I just want to buy my Nintendo games on Steam, I give up on them as a console maker.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

No charger? Stupid. Shitty transfer system? Stupid. Need a screw driver to remove an SD card you'll probably only ever do once or twice? Meh. Dont see the big deal.

JeremyGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JeremyGTS
Member since 2014 • 40 Posts

Good! My kids swapped SD cards in our 3DS's and I had to re-download everything again. Do you people cry about everything?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I almost never change or touch my SD card. Who doesn't have a screwdriver anyway?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

@Blabadon said:

Why can't 3DS be Vita?

because it has games

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

I almost never change or touch my SD card. Who doesn't have a screwdriver anyway?

I think the point is why the fv%k do you need a screwdriver to change a memory card?

Sheep continue to amaze.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@thedude- said:

I am more bugged by it being a mini SD card. Why punish consumers who have a 3DS and want to jump to the new version? It is already hassle enough transferring over but now you have to make the transfer from an SD card to a micro SD card.

SDXC are not supported unless you revert it to fat32 which is just unwieldy and unnecessary work.

This. I got a 32GB card especially for my 3DS, and I have about 7 or 8 digital games on there. I was already annoyed at the micro SD thing - since I have plenty of SD cards already, but I don't have a 32GB micro SD. Nintendo just making one bad decision after another. Basically they are making sure it's not worth my effort to upgrade, and at this point it's probably not (since I'm not a big handheld gamer anyways).

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Pretty annoying and yeah the archaic account system has been done to death. Still going to get one, just not sure when.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

lol, good point. My Droid Maxx don't have one either. Plus I have a screw driver

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Many households got "normal" (- /+) screwdrivers but maybe not these "special screwdriver" that is needed here...

Wouldnt surprise me if we see Nintendo start selling screwdrivers as well...

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kaze_no_Mirai

@aroxx_ab: Looking at the pictures.. they look pretty "normal" doesnt even mention any special kind.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

So just put a 64 gig micro SD card when you get your 3DS and boom! wont ever have to do it again for maybe years

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@aroxx_ab: Looking at the pictures.. they look pretty "normal" doesnt even mention any special kind.

Reading the article it sounds like it something other than the ordinary...or why did he had to buy new ones two times

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@thedude- said:

This. I got a 32GB card especially for my 3DS, and I have about 7 or 8 digital games on there. I was already annoyed at the micro SD thing - since I have plenty of SD cards already, but I don't have a 32GB micro SD. Nintendo just making one bad decision after another. Basically they are making sure it's not worth my effort to upgrade, and at this point it's probably not (since I'm not a big handheld gamer anyways).

They have not been good with memory management since the GC. I suspect they are keeping it locked under mini screws to reduce piracy. The SD card input is where pirates find ways to hack the system, get free games.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

This is a none issue. If you or your child don't know how to operate a screwdriver, well, you probably should be playing video games. If you cannot afford a screwdriver, you really cannot afford a Nintendo 3DS. I have plenty of screwdrivers laying around my house, as do many people. The memory card in the 3DS is used more like permanent storage than a traditional memory card, think Nintendo 64 or GameCube memory cards, so you won't need to remove it that often, if at all.

The larger issue here is that it does not come with a power adapter which is pretty shitty of Nintendo, especially when you consider that GameStop requires a power adapter to trade in your existing 3DS, meaning you simply cannot use your old one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Nintendo is on a roll!

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

@RR360DD: Well, to be fair...the iPhone is beyond terrible.

On topic, every time i read something new about this N3DS i remember why i don't even want to be near one of them, so many fails with this revision.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

You actually made a thread implying that the use of a screwdriver is an arduous task.

This is where stereotypes come from.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Easy for me, use to this kind of stuff...much more easier than replacing screen on diepad or crackpad. Yea the no inclusion of AC adapter with New 3DS is BS tho. :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

"Grinning and bearing" is what's allowing companies like Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and Capcom get away with MUCH of the shit they do.

@locopatho said:

They're crazy. End of.

Um... shouldn't that mean that you shouldn't be doing this below?

@locopatho said:

At this point I just want to buy my Nintendo games on Steam, I give up on them as a console maker.

Yeah, that's not contradictory at all. :roll:

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

It's a completely normal screwdriver. It's actually really easy, and you'll only have to do it once (if ever).

The whole system transfer process took a while for me - maybe an hour all up. Then again, i had something like 16gb of downloaded games to transfer, so...probably my fault.

Once you transfer the data, the New 3DS will be set up exactly like your old one. Themes, friends list, folders, downloaded games, save games...they'll all be in their correct spots.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Doesn't really bother me. Naturally the old way would be way better, but needing a screwdriver isn't the worst thing ever.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kaze_no_Mirai

@nintendoboy16 said:

I think he was talking about eShop vs Steam

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho

@nintendoboy16 said:
@locopatho said:

They're crazy. End of.

Um... shouldn't that mean that you shouldn't be doing this below?

@locopatho said:

hahahaha are you seriously this fucking dumb!?

I'll spell it out, JUST FOR YOU.

"Don't buy current digital games on Nintendo's current SHIT system. DO buy them on sane systems like Steam, PSN or XBLA!"

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I see no problem with this. I've had to take apart consoles to make them work again. A couple of screws to replace the memory card is no issue to me. It also ensures that kids won't be losing those tiny memory cards. Sounds like a good deal in the long run. 1 Swap to a 32 GB card and it fixes all problems for the lifetime of the machine.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho

@bunchanumbers said:

I see no problem with this.

Well yeah, it still has a Nintendo logo on it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I don't know if it's humanly possible to be more boneheaded than Nintendo if you TRIED.

Honestly, you'd have to make a serious attempt to be so obtuse. Why I don't support Ninty anymore. Everything they do comes with a caveat, and usually one that negates anything even remotely positive. I really can't see such a level of incompetence existing without a conscious decision to be so. To think such decisions being made intentionally is frightening.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

If I could do this with my Tamagotchi when I was a kid I think my adult self can handle the task.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

I think he was talking about eShop vs Steam

Even so, buying on Steam wouldn't make buying Nintendo games on there ANY less of a Nintendo related purchase/download

@locopatho said:

hahahaha are you seriously this fucking dumb!?

I'll spell it out, JUST FOR YOU.

"Don't buy current digital games on Nintendo's current SHIT system. DO buy them on sane systems like Steam, PSN or XBLA!"

The vague hashtag that just says #neverbuydigitalNintendogames doesn't tell me anything further other than give me the idea of "never buy anything digital from Nintendo", which could mean never buy their stuff on ANY digital service period (like if you're boycotting them like I currently am EA products since 2013, temptations to play DA:I aside) and no, the #gothirdparty and #stopmakingshittyhardware alongsidedidn't specify what you're saying either, because if they were to play that game of chance, they might go retail (and the less I say my views on IF they do that, the better for both of our sanity).