VOTE: Best First Person Shooter Last gen! CLOSED RESULTS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

Half Life 2

Crysis

Red Orchestra 2

Metro: Last Light

Black Mesa

Left 4 Dead 2

SCORE BOARD SO FAR:

COD4MW: 900 points

Halo 3: 880 points

Killzone 2: 850 points

#102 Edited by danjammer69 (4108 posts) -

@Jakandsigz:

1. CoD4

2. CoD 2 (Freakin' awesome single player)

3. BFBC2

4. CoD WaW (Game had an amazing atmosphere)

5. Battlefield 3

Not sure what's going on with you lately Jak, but your threads are actually getting better. When you keep the fanboy shit out of it you seem to be a decent contributor to GS.

#103 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Half Life 2

Crysis

Red Orchestra 2

Black Mesa

Left 4 Dead 2

@Jakandsigz said:

SCORE BOARD SO FAR:

Somebody's mad they don't see their precious Half Life 2. ;-)

#104 Edited by SolidTy (42443 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Hmmm...

1. Half Life 2

Tough list as I had a list of 20 I narrowed down, and I'm certain I'm forgetting something. I enjoyed COD2, Deus Ex, Battlefield Bad Company, BF3, Halo3, Killzone 3, and various others I had to cut. I would have put in Portal and Portal 2, but I wasn't sure if they qualified as "FPS".

HL2 is 2004 change your list.

Alrighty, Done.

1. Killzone 2
  2. Left 4 Dead 1
  3. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  4. Resistance FOM
  5. Bioshock
  6. Resistance 3
  7. COD4: Modern Warfare 1
  8. Borderlands
  9. Metroid Prime 3
  10. Halo Reach
#105 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

Somebody's mad they don't see their precious Half Life 2. ;-)

Weird, I showed a gif of someone laughing. Your internetz must've gotten messed up showing a picture of someone being mad

Half Life 2 can't be on the list because it was released before 2004. But it wasn't on any previous best of gen lists either, so I would say it counts for this gen.

Anyway, I was laughing because I played all three of those games and they are nowhere near the best FPS of this generation :-)

#106 Edited by LustForSoul (5843 posts) -

1. Halo 3

2. COD4

3. COD Blops 1

4. Battlefield Bad Company 2

#107 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

Team Fortress 2

#108 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -
  1. FEAR (If it counts
  2. L4D 1
  3. L4D 2
  4. Killzone 3
  5. Killzone 2
#109 Posted by Ripsaw1994 (94 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: Odst was terribad. Other than that i kinda agree

#110 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10324 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: Odst was terribad. Other than that i kinda agree

your opinion is your opinion - I saw ODST as a phenomenal new direction of the series with an open world and Firefight.

New Mombasa as a dreary, utterly ravaged wasteland populated solely by the Covenant, the Rookie and the city Superintendent AI was so well realized.
Beautiful new direction for the series. The music created such a great somber and hopeless mood that when it would pick up for story set pieces...you could actually feel hope in the otherwise dark and hopeless city.

#111 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15034 posts) -
  1. halo 3
  2. COD2
  3. HL2 Ep2
  4. left 4 dead

#112 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Killzone 2, spent years playing that on and offline. Good to see it up at the top of the list where it belongs.

#113 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

Why the hell would you say Left 4 Dead but not Left 4 Dead 2 when Left 4 Dead 2 has all L4D content + extra L4D2 contact...

CLEARLY, FREAKS ARE FREAKS

#114 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

1.COD4MW

2.killzone 2

3.Bioshock

#115 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Half Life 2

Crysis

Red Orchestra 2

Black Mesa

Left 4 Dead 2

@Jakandsigz said:

SCORE BOARD SO FAR:

I didn't count Black Mesa as a trade-off, just replace that.

#116 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Half Life 2

Crysis

Red Orchestra 2

Black Mesa

Left 4 Dead 2

@Jakandsigz said:

SCORE BOARD SO FAR:

Hl2 is 2004 also.

#117 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -
#118 Edited by Chozofication (2761 posts) -

Killzone 2 was pretty special, at the time.

#119 Edited by DillonShwing (565 posts) -

I think the fact that Killzone 2 is winning is a testament to how many Sony fanboys are on System Wars.

#120 Posted by MBirdy88 (7689 posts) -

That is f*cked up no one in existance thinks killzone 2 was the best shooter of last gen... not critics, not users.

its this stupid forum and the cow circle jerk.

FFS the multiplayer had the worst level of hit registration delay I have ever seen how it got to production is a joke. the story was boring, bland and grey. only reedeeming quality was the modes on multiplayer.

#121 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

Far Cry 3

Crysis/Warhead

Bioshock

Hard Reset

Killzone 2/3

I prefer Battlefield 2 (PC) over the last 4 though. Battlefield 2 released shortly before the 360. I still consider BF2 as previous gen and not 2 gens back.

#122 Edited by _Matt_ (8866 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

That is f*cked up no one in existance thinks killzone 2 was the best shooter of last gen... not critics, not users.

FFS the multiplayer had the worst level of hit registration delay I have ever seen how it got to production is a joke. the story was boring, bland and grey. only reedeeming quality was the modes on multiplayer.

You sound mad there, bro, chill.

Killzone 2 was a brilliant overall package this last gen, and it seems that a lot of system wars feels the same way. Nothing about cow circle jerk at all, in fact most cows don't seem to have even posted in this thread.

#123 Posted by _Matt_ (8866 posts) -

@blackace:

@blackace said:

1. Halo 3

2. Borderlands

3. Bioshock

4. Halo Reach

5. CoD4: MW

6. Portal 2

7. Dead Space

8. Killzone 2

9. Resistance 2

10. Borderlands 2

Interesting list, sir, while I completely disagree with you about the Halo's, that's not what I'm most interested in in your list.

I'm wondering, why did you prefer Borderlands 1 over 2?

#124 Posted by MBirdy88 (7689 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Killzone 2 was a brilliant overall package this last gen, and it seems that a lot of system wars feels the same way. Nothing about cow circle jerk at all, in fact most cows don't seem to have even posted in this thread.

Absolute tosh. the game is barely played. this coming from someone who played it alot, and got that stupid "top 4%" achievement in MP. (trophy whoring phase) it was dying when it was out.

#125 Edited by _Matt_ (8866 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Absolute tosh. the game is barely played. this coming from someone who played it alot, and got that stupid "top 4%" achievement in MP. (trophy whoring phase) it was dying when it was out.

Sure, it's barely played now, but at the time it was highly populated. Nice one getting that trophy though, I gave up with that one.

#126 Posted by CRUSHER88 (1150 posts) -

1. Bioshock

2. COD4, MW

3. F.E.A.R.

4. Unreal Tournament 3

5. The Darkness

6. Borderlands

7. Bioshock Infinite

8. Halo 3

9. Killzone 2

10. Rage

#127 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Jakandsigz:

a trade-off for what ?

Metroid Prime 3, and you still have HL2 on your list.

#128 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Every time I read the first part i laugh on this part,

#129 Posted by MBirdy88 (7689 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Sure, it's barely played now, but at the time it was highly populated. Nice one getting that trophy though, I gave up with that one.

It never had the fraction of the user base of even a single platform on Battlefield 3/4 let alone CoD. I was talking about "at its prime" ...

@MBirdy88 said:

Every time I read the first part i laugh on this part,

good.

#130 Posted by stuff238 (616 posts) -

1. Resistance

2. Killzone 2

3. Halo Reach

4. Killzone 3

5. CoD4

6. CoD MW2

7. Halo 4

8. Bioshock

#131 Posted by Couth_ (10013 posts) -

CoD4, Halo 3, Killzone 2

#132 Edited by handssss (1821 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

so the numbers of players being low immediately makes the case that it isn't a good game? let's use reason for a second. the 1st game didn't do so good critically and was a ps2 title. killzone 2 drops last gen and was a surprise hit. but even if it had high player numbers, it's a console fps. If you know anything about those, you know they typically don't survive very long and you'll have the fanbase move on to the sequel as soon as it releases.

Halo 3 is an exception, but to be fair, its successors are utter failures as far as MP is concerned.

#133 Edited by danjammer69 (4108 posts) -

Damn. I can't believe that Killzone 2 is currently leading.

I like the KZ games and all, but this really comes as a surprise.

#134 Posted by MBirdy88 (7689 posts) -

@handssss said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

so the numbers of players being low immediately makes the case that it isn't a good game? let's use reason for a second. the 1st game didn't do so good critically and was a ps2 title. killzone 2 drops last gen and was a surprise hit. but even if it had high player numbers, it's a console fps. If you know anything about those, you know they typically don't survive very long and you'll have the fanbase move on to the sequel as soon as it releases.

Halo 3 is an exception, but to be fair, its successors are utter failures as far as MP is concerned.

A polished turd is still a turd, bland and grey, yet another sony franchise mostly about its graphics. I shouldn't be suprised that this forum hyped this up. it seems linear games with console pushing graphics are all thats needed. but I don't believe for a second that Killzone 2 is most peoples "best shooter of the last gen" in the "gen of shooters" .... absolutely ridiculous.

dont hide behind "population not = quality" excuse here.... it had neither. not the popularity, not the gameplay, not the lag free multiplayer.... you shoot someone and 2-3 seconds later they die, and no it was not my internet... how a game can even release with that kind of net code or design is beyond retarded.

and that single player... god... so long and dry.

this is a cow circle jerk. only this forum would result in Killzone 2 winning such a poll.

#135 Posted by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

1.Killzone 2

2.Bioshock

3.Counter Strike Global Offensive

4.Killing Floor

5.Battlefield Bad Company 2

6.Left 4 Dead

7.Left 4 Dead 2

8.Halo 3

9.Team Fortress 2

10.Killzone 3

#136 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

mwahaha! that's right my children. Killzone 2 is the best fps this gen. you're casual halo and cod just don't hold a candle to the hardcore epicness that is kz2.

the domination has won... and you love it. B-)

#137 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MBirdy88: cry more. kz2 is aaa on Metacritic. only you casuals whine about it because it's not an easy twitch shooter. deal with it. kz2 best fps last gen.

#138 Edited by MBirdy88 (7689 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@MBirdy88: cry more. kz2 is aaa on Metacritic. only you casuals whine about it because it's not an easy twitch shooter. deal with it. kz2 best fps last gen.

yea... I got to the top 4% of the week by being a scrub ... sounds... legit.

it was an easy shooter... it wasn't twitch... but it was frigging easy. and a mess.

Its funny reading all the ridiculously positive reviews.... graphics this, graphics that... i mean cmon, in the top 3 it says "only rival is modern warfare" .... it had nothing on it. nothing at all.

#139 Edited by mems_1224 (46521 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@MBirdy88 said:

lol killzone 2 was horrible. i can't remember the last time i played a fps game with controls that bad. it was probably on the n64

#140 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@mems_1224: so a game is bad cause you are bad at it? casual confirmed. kz2 aaa on meta and 9 from gs. not that you ever played it. that is, casual boy. B-)

#141 Posted by mems_1224 (46521 posts) -

@mems_1224: so a game is bad cause you are bad at it? casual confirmed. kz2 aaa on meta and 9 from gs. not that you ever played it. that is, casual boy. B-)

cool story bro

#142 Posted by foxhound_fox (87640 posts) -

Holy fuck that is a depressing top-3.

#143 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@mems_1224: I thought so... and I do love to tell it, around the SW campfire. Stay casual, and butthurt. :-)

#144 Edited by cloudff7tm (3975 posts) -

1. Team Fortress 2

2. Farcry 3

3. Halo Reach

#145 Posted by Couth_ (10013 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

yea... I got to the top 4% of the week by being a scrub ... sounds... legit.

it was an easy shooter... it wasn't twitch... but it was frigging easy. and a mess.

Its funny reading all the ridiculously positive reviews.... graphics this, graphics that... i mean cmon, in the top 3 it says "only rival is modern warfare" .... it had nothing on it. nothing at all.

A mess? KZ2 was one of the most balanced and polished games I played last gen. Perfectly balanced classes, guns and maps. No host latency/advantage that plagued CoD all gen, And it had the most accurate hit boxes i've ever seen: a headshot was always a fckng headshot no fcking questions asked.

Even still I think CoD4 is the best MP of the entire gen and was just the most fun. But the series has a bad rap by forum neckbeards for how casual it is and how every game got progressively worse and way more noob friendly.. All the CoDs that came out after kind of make people forget how good 4 was

#146 Posted by Bazooka_4ME (2536 posts) -

1. Bioshock

2. Halo 3

3. Killzone 2

4. COD4

5. Crysis

#147 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MBirdy88:

Got any proof of that 4%? What's your psn id so I can see if you have the valor medal trophy

How about the gold trophy for the elite run?

A mess? Confirmed never played it.

#148 Posted by darkkillerr (361 posts) -

I think the fact that Killzone 2 is winning is a testament to how many Sony fanboys are on System Wars.

and they have a terrible taste

#149 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@DillonShwing said:

and they have a terrible taste

meta aaa

gs 9

#150 Edited by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

COD4 slightly edges out KZ2 for me. R3 I felt had the best single player campaign however.