VITA Slim coming to the US! Borderlands 2 + 8GB for 199$!!

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

Links:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vita-slim-confirmed-for-us/1100-6417646/

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/new-ps-vita-model-coming-to-north-america

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/10/5399090/new-ps-vita-north-america-borderlands-2-bundle-spring-2014

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/systems/psv-borderlands-2-bundle.html?CMP=soc_us__hw_SlimVita_BL2Bundle_Announce_FB_2_10_14

Story

GS's version:

Sony confirmed today that the PlayStation Vita Slim, a lighter, smaller version of the Vita handheld will be coming to the US sometime "this spring."

We've had hands-on with the device since it's European launch last week, and we also have a photo comparison between the OLED original and the LED update right here.

We'll have more details as Sony makes them available.

IGN's version:

Today, Sony revealed that the new PS Vita Model -- the so-called "Slim" design -- will be coming to North America this Spring. Additionally, a Borderlands 2 bundle will be available upon launch.

Little else is known about the new PS Vita Model when it comes to its North American launch, such as pricing or a specific release date. However, Sony did show-off the Borderlands 2 bundle's box. Presumably, PS Vita Slim will also be available on its own.

Vita's slim model was originally revealed last summer and launched in Japan soon thereafter, boosting Vita's profile in the east. Earlier this year, it was revealed for Europe, and has been available there as of February 7th.

PS Vita Slim is 15 percent lighter than the original PS Vita, as well as 20 percent slimmer. It also has a gigabyte of built-in memory. Unfortunately, it also replaces its OLED screen with an LCD screen. You can read our full review of PS Vita Slim here.

@TwistedShade said:

Here's what has been reported sounds like it could be an affordable bundle at that price.

Also 2K tweeted Borderlands 2 would launch in March but they ended up retracting it.

Update: Polygon has reported that the PS Vita Slim bundle withBorderlands 2 and the 8GB memory card will cost $199.99. It also appears as though Borderlands 2 on Vita will work with your PS3 save files and include 6 of the previously released DLC packs. We’ll post more details about the PS Vita Slim and Borderlands 2 on Vita as they become available.

@TwistedShade said:

Polygon Updated their story! Quoted below.

American Borderlands 2 bundle will contain a black Wi-Fi-enabled handheld, along with a downloadable copy of the game and an 8 GB memory card. The six included add-ons are Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, the Psycho and Mechromancer character classes, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1 and the Collector's Edition Pack. You can see an image of the bundle below, as well as a trailer.

Bundle features:

All-in-one Borderlands®2 Limited Edition PlayStation®Vita Bundle includes the new PS Vita Wi-Fi system, Borderlands®2 Full Game Digital Voucher, and 8GB Memory Card.

Six (6) Borderlands®2 DLC packs including, Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty, Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage, the Psycho Character Class, Mechromancer Character Class, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1, and Collector’s Edition Pack.

Play with your friends with up to four (4) person cooperative multiplayer.

Borderlands®2 features:

DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR PS VITA SYSTEM

Enjoy the full Borderlands®2 experience optimized for the PS Vita platform. Shoot your way through Pandora in four-player co-op and easily navigate the maps, inventory, and items using the touchscreen. Continue your adventures at home using the cross-save feature with the PS3™system.

All-New Characters and All-New Classes

Step into the role of six all-new characters and classes, each wildly different from one another with unique skills and abilities. Dual wield rocket launchers with Salvador the Gunzerker. Turn invisible and stab your foes in the back with Zer0 the Assassin. Fire off otherworldly powers as Maya the Siren. Drop machine gun turrets as Axton the Commando. Sick your pet robot on a group of enemies as Gaige the Mechromancer. Bash skulls and set them on fire as Krieg the Psycho.

Dynamic Co-op

Share your adventures with friends by dropping in and out of a campaign session on your PS Vita system without ever having to restart the game. On top of that you can even take your new gear from any game to any other!

World Connected Story

You will find yourself left for dead in the frozen tundra of Pandora as you begin your quest of revenge and redemption. Expose the evil surrounding the Hyperion Corporation and take on the perpetrator of a universe-wide grand deception -- the nefarious Hyperion CEO, Handsome Jack. (Oh, also: he's stolen credit for the opening of the first Vault.)

New Badass Gun System

An entirely new take on the groundbreaking procedural system means millions upon millions of possible weapons. The variety and style of guns in Borderlands®2 is staggering, and you’ll see tons of new and innovative ways to engage foes on Pandora. Fire, electricity, corrosive acid, and much more will all be at your disposal as you fight your way through the Hyperion Corporation’s forces!

87 Bazillion...Everything

In addition to the new gun system, you will lust after procedurally generated shields, grenades, Alien Artifacts, class mods and much, much more. And you thought the original Borderlands had a ton of loot!

Brand new environments on Pandora

Hunt through entirely brand new areas of Pandora that are more alive than ever! From the arctic tundra, through the dangerous grasslands, past the mysterious corrosive caverns to beyond, you’ll be surprised by the unpredictable world of Pandora at every turn!

Brand new enemies

A whole slew of new enemies are out there to kill you in Borderlands®2. Hulking, gorilla-like Bullymongs, vicious predatory Stalkers and the Hyperion mechanical army, run by Handsome Jack, are just some of the new enemies you will be facing off against on Pandora. New strategies will be needed for every fight, as enemies now interact and aid each other to ensure you don’t get far in the world of Pandora.

---------------------------------------

About damn time! Not sure what took them so damn long!

Lock if old.

--

Updated with IGN's version of the story (more details).

More info, courtesy of @TwistedShade .

Even MOAR info, again thanks to @TwistedShade :P

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (28796 posts) -

But will it have games?

#3 Posted by NotBlabadon (15 posts) -

About damn time

#4 Posted by TwistedShade (3128 posts) -

IGN's article is more fleshed out.

Sony has said it'll be coming along with Borderlands 2, and there will also be a bundle with the two.

#5 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

But will it have games?

Allow me to quote myself from an earlier thread:

@Desmonic said:

Remember kids: VITA HAS NO GAMES! :O

I mean it just got OlliOlli, Danganrompa and Toukiden but yeah, no games and all that jazz.

#6 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

IGN's article is more fleshed out.

Sony has said it'll be coming along with Borderlands 2, and there will also be a bundle with the two.

Oh cool, I'll update the OP. Thanks! :)

#7 Edited by lundy86_4 (42687 posts) -

I'm just glad I picked up the OLED version, despite the issues with individual pixel lighting. Still, this will hopefully bring down the cost of the Vita, for those who want it.

#8 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22320 posts) -

On one hand it sucks that it's loosing the clear oled. On the other I hear LED screens have a longer life so it might be better for the long run

#9 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5917 posts) -

Whoooopidie dooooo!

#10 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

But will it have games?

That's my question.

#11 Edited by TwistedShade (3128 posts) -

Here's what has been reported sounds like it could be an affordable bundle at that price.

Also 2K tweeted Borderlands 2 would launch in March but they ended up retracting it.

Update: Polygon has reported that the PS Vita Slim bundle withBorderlands 2 and the 8GB memory card will cost $199.99. It also appears as though Borderlands 2 on Vita will work with your PS3 save files and include 6 of the previously released DLC packs. We’ll post more details about the PS Vita Slim and Borderlands 2 on Vita as they become available.

#12 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

Off-topic: GS now notifies you when someone posts in your thread. Useful, yet spammy :P

#13 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -
#14 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I've noticed a pattern with Sony. Whenever they announced something for the Vita in Japan like this, it usually comes out 6 months later in US. Same with last price cut.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

Nooooooooooo! RIP in peace OLED model, you were the greatest thing ever ;(

Polygon has reported that the PS Vita Slim bundle withBorderlands 2 and the 8GB memory card will cost $199.99. It also appears as though Borderlands 2 on Vita will work with your PS3 save files and include 6 of the previously released DLC packs. We’ll post more details about the PS Vita Slim and Borderlands 2 on Vita as they become available.

This is not only great news, as it confirms cross compatibility for Borderlands 2, but more importantly, it appears as though they are actually pricing the Vita sensibly. Great job! I hope it starts selling more now, even if it is the pleb NOLED model

#16 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Off-topic: GS now notifies you when someone posts in your thread. Useful, yet spammy :P

You can turn it off in preferences, yo

@mrintro said:

I've noticed a pattern with Sony. Whenever they announced something for the Vita in Japan like this, it usually comes out 6 months later in US. Same with last price cut.

That's because sadly, SCEA doesn't give two shits about Vita. You will notice they have the least or worst advertising for it, the least promotions and bundles, and they are always last with any new Vita SKU or accessory. SCEA has also not had a single studio under them work on the Vita since Sony Bend who created Uncharted Golden Abyss nearly two years ago, for launch.

It's sad, really, it could do so much better if they paid more attention to it.

#17 Posted by TwistedShade (3128 posts) -

@Desmonic: Not at all.

Kind of glad I got a Vita now, wouldn't have been able to last the temptation of waiting until supposedly March.

#18 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -
#19 Posted by TwistedShade (3128 posts) -

Polygon Updated their story! Quoted below.

American Borderlands 2 bundle will contain a black Wi-Fi-enabled handheld, along with a downloadable copy of the game and an 8 GB memory card. The six included add-ons are Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, the Psycho and Mechromancer character classes, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1 and the Collector's Edition Pack. You can see an image of the bundle below, as well as a trailer.

#20 Posted by osirisx3 (1717 posts) -

lol I was about to import one from Japan thanks for posting TC you saved me time and money.

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

Please, for goodness's sake, I hope this wonderful system starts selling now. The Vita deserves so much better than it got, plus hey, as a handheld gamer, I would rather have two thriving handhelds than just one :P

#22 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

Wow, that's an awesome bundle really. You are getting 9GB (Vita comes with 1GB out of the bat) + Borderlands 2 with 6 of the DLC's (sure we don't know how the game will look/play, but still)! Plus with PS Now looming it becomes a very solid deal.. if they really do price it 199$ they might just have a fighting chance!

Won't 3DS numbers, but will probably sell more than 10 million units during it's lifetime :P

#23 Posted by TwistedShade (3128 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Wow, that's an awesome bundle really. You are getting 9GB (Vita comes with 1GB out of the bat) + Borderlands 2 with 6 of the DLC's (sure we don't know how the game will look/play, but still)! Plus with PS Now looming it becomes a very solid deal.. if they really do price it 199$ they might just have a fighting chance!

Won't 3DS numbers, but will probably sell more than 10 million units during it's lifetime :P

Bear in mind the unboard memory of the slim is deactivated if a memory card is inserted, this is the same as the 12GB PS3's which makes that memory unusable after you insert a new HDD.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

It's not 9GB, the 1GB cannot be accessed if you insert a Memory Card. It's like having a partition on your computer that you can't access as soon as you access the other one.

And yes, now it might sell. I hope it does. Bring it, Sony.

#25 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Vita: "Handhelds are dying Sony, What would you have me do?"

Sony: "Endure, Master Vita. "They'll hate you for it, but thats the thing about being a handheld, You can be the outcast. You can play the games that nobody else can run on the go, the right games.

#26 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

It's not 9GB, the 1GB cannot be accessed if you insert a Memory Card. It's like having a partition on your computer that you can't access as soon as you access the other one.

So it's really the same BS they pulled with the 12GB PS3? FFS Sony... why do you always spoil your second move XD

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

So it's really the same BS they pulled with the 12GB PS3? FFS Sony... why do you always spoil your second move XD

Meh, it would have been an issue if they hadn't included the 8GB with it. But they are, so it's pointless to whine xD

#28 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@charizard1605: Still, 9 > 8 :P

Really hope all this info comes true! It could also possibly imply a price drop in the memory cards (or at least the 8GB one).

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: Still, 9 > 8 :P

Really hope all this info comes true! It could also possibly imply a price drop in the memory cards (or at least the 8GB one).

The info is true, Sony has already confirmed it bro

#30 Edited by lostrib (31957 posts) -

Although how much of that 8GB will be taken up by Borderlands 2+DLC?

#31 Edited by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Although how much of that 8GB will be taken up by Borderlands 2+DLC?

I assume around 5ish GB.

#32 Posted by NotBlabadon (15 posts) -

But will it have games?

You have no idea how badly I wanted to respond to your posts in XboxDone's shitty thread.

#33 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@charizard1605: Nice! Hopefully things will go well! :)

@lostrib: I'd say the possibilyt of it taking more than 4GB is very real... Big game + plenty of DLC. We'll see.

#34 Edited by SolidTie (8 posts) -

Yes! Thank you Sony!

#35 Posted by MonsieurX (28796 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

But will it have games?

You have no idea how badly I wanted to respond to your posts in XboxDone's shitty thread.

Go ahead?

#36 Posted by NotBlabadon (15 posts) -

@notblabadon said:

@MonsieurX said:

But will it have games?

Go ahead?

No, it's okay. I know you too well Monsieur, we're both too knowledgeable to argue this shit seriously

#37 Edited by kuu2 (6824 posts) -

So how does this thing work?

One last thing can this project to a TV?

Can I download games or do the have to come on physical media, how big is the internal storage and can I upgrade it, and are these basically PS3 games? Thanks for your feedback.

#38 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Can I download games or do the have to come on physical media, how big is the internal storage and can I upgrade it, and are these basically PS3 games? Thanks for your feedback.

What? You sure you're not mistaking the Vita 2.0 (aka Vita Slim) with the Vita TV? :P

This is just the Vita (with all it's functionalities), with a different screen and at a more competitive price (199$ with game + 8GB card).

#39 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2945 posts) -

This is a good deal, but man I bet the game and the DLC will eat up all the damn memory card space.

#40 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5917 posts) -

Sony: when it doesn't sell well, make a slim version.

#41 Edited by kuu2 (6824 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@kuu2 said:

What? You sure you're not mistaking the Vita 2.0 (aka Vita Slim) with the Vita TV? :P

This is just the Vita (with all it's functionalities), with a different screen and at a more competitive price (199$ with game + 8GB card).

Was on my mobile so the questions got mixed up.

Can I download games or do they have to come on physical media, how big is the internal storage and can I upgrade it, and are these basically PS3 games? Thanks for your feedback.

One last thing can this project to a TV? As in does it have HDMI output capabilities. I travel a lot and being able to hook up to my hotel tv would be nice.

#42 Edited by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Desmonic said:

@kuu2 said:

Was on my mobile so the questions got mixed up.

Can I download games or do they have to come on physical media, how big is the internal storage and can I upgrade it, and are these basically PS3 games? Thanks for your feedback.

One last thing can this project to a TV? As in does it have HDMI output capabilities. I travel a lot and being able to hook up to my hotel tv would be nice.

You can download or buy the physical version for Vita games (PSOne/PSP backlog is obviously all digital).

This new model comes with 1GB of internal memory, which you can expand with memory cards (this new bundle comes with an 8GB card) though you lose the internal 1GB (for example it won't 8GB + 1GB, it'll be only either the 1GB or the 8GB if you use the memory card). Most of the games are small enough that you can manage yourself pretty well with an 8GB card, though some of them are quite big. UC is over 3GB for example, and Borderlands 2 will likely cross the 4GB barrier. Best option is to buy the physical copy of these larger titles and just download the rest.

Graphically speaking these are very close to PS3 level games, if not equal in some cases (think 2006-2008 PS3 level, not 2012-2013 PS3 level) and for the most part work just as well.

It doesn't have any self projecting capabilities nor does it have an HDMI out, though since Sony is now using regular USB cables for the new model it may or may not be possible to use an adpater or for Sony to later release one. But no, it does not have that capability out of the box.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

It's a handheld. No TV out. Games come on both cartridges and digitally. It needs proprietary storage to save and store data, You are getting 8GB with this bundle.

A lot of PS3 games are also available on Vita thanks to the Cross Buy program, but the Vita also has a lot of other games- most of these are admittedly shared with other platforms (360, 3DS, and PC being the most common), but it also has a lot of its own great exclusives.

#44 Posted by Ghost120x (3656 posts) -

Damn. I have too many games to get in march to afford another oled vita before they get rare. The games keep coming and so fast it's hard to keep up. :(

#45 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16452 posts) -

Am I the only one curious about how BL2 will fit in the handheld format? I can't tell if it'd be really cool or if it won't translate well... Also, the only way, for me at least, to make it worth it is to make it the GOTY Edition with all the DLC and such.

#46 Edited by kuu2 (6824 posts) -

@charizard1605: Thanks Char!

And you also Des didn't see your response at first.

#47 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

Seriously, what is with Sony not sending the colored portables to the US?

#48 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

@mbrockway: I hear they are somewhat allergic to money, thus these odd decisions. Go figure, huh? :P

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (54559 posts) -

Seriously, what is with Sony not sending the colored portables to the US?

They can't bring them here even if they want to- the Vita sells so little, retailers don't want to stock multiple SKUs (which is what different colors would be), I imagine it's a struggle just getting them to stock the one unit that they do.

If they can only have one or two colors, it's better to have them be neutral colors like black or white than something more potentially divisive like lime green.

#50 Edited by darkspineslayer (19370 posts) -

So it's got a price drop, bundled with a respectable memory card, and actually has games for those who care to look.

By all respects, this fixes the major flaws with Vita. It's just a question of if the market isn't completely on mobile games now.