This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chronic276
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

Hey all

I'm looking into buying either a Vita or 3DS. I'm presuming these topics have come up quote often. But I'm looking for some more recent input.

The Vita strikes me quite a fair bit due to the library of PSP games that you can download from the store. The trophy system and just the plain out look of it. I'll be primarily using it for playing RPGs / JRPGs whilst on the move as my work involves a lot of travelling.

If I could have some opinions of what to go for. Why I should go for it and what are the top games they have to offer that would be great.

I'll be buying the console tomorrow.

Cheers

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

PS VITA

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

What games are you interested in and what genres? Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either but the 3DS pales in comparison to the Vita in terms of overall quality of games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Depends on what games you like. 3DS is a good choice if you absolutely love Nintendo games and don't mind playing the millionth reiteration of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. The first party games on the 3DS pwn the Vita's first party but the Vita has caught up quite a bit (3DS also had the benefit of getting a year's start). Vita has a lot more variety of games to play and also gets the added benefit of getting indie games. With Vita you also get cross functionality with PS3 and PS4.

PtothaWHAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PtothaWHAT
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

I'd say the PS Vita. Really good system.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

vitameanslife...

if you are alive you need the vita. vita signifies life.

if you are dead...get the 3ds.

inb4dalock

Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chronic276

Cheers for the replies so far!

@Blabadon - As stated in the OP. Mostly going for the JRPG / RPG genre. Loving the look of FF X on the Vita a lot! Will be an amazing blast from the past. But then also games such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default etc on the 3DS are calling my name. But as also stated, the online store for the PSP provides an absolute tonne of games that I'll end up playing too. So far I'm on the Vita side of things.

@SolidGame_basic - Yeah that's the thing, Nintendo games aren't quite as striking for me as they were 10 years ago. Pokemon on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart and the X/Y versions look remarkably good. But still no original Red and Blue. (I miss them days!) The only real topics i could find on comparing the two systems were from around a year ago, all egging on the 3DS. So it kind of threw me off a little, but I'm thinking the Vita's more down my street...

Cheers for replies - Keep 'em coming! :D

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@Chronic276 said:

@Blabadon - As stated in the OP. Mostly going for the JRPG / RPG genre. Loving the look of FF X on the Vita a lot! Will be an amazing blast from the past. But then also games such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default etc on the 3DS are calling my name. But as also stated, the online store for the PSP provides an absolute tonne of games that I'll end up playing too. So far I'm on the Vita side of things.

@SolidGame_basic - Yeah that's the thing, Nintendo games aren't quite as striking for me as they were 10 years ago. Pokemon on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart and the X/Y versions look remarkably good. But still no original Red and Blue. (I miss them days!) The only real topics i could find on comparing the two systems were from around a year ago, all egging on the 3DS. So it kind of threw me off a little, but I'm thinking the Vita's more down my street...

You sound exactly like me. We must be from the same age group lol. FFX on the Vita is awesome by the way. I can't believe I played that over 10 years ago. At least it makes the game sort of refreshing.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

I'd say get both. They both have great jrpgs

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Both

(get 3DS first, follow it up with a Vita purchase a few months later)

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Chronic276 said:

Ahh, alright. Well, the very best JRPG and RPG between both, Persona 4 Golden, is on the Vita.

The 3DS does have more (J)RPGs, but much more niche ones and lots of flaws. I can't reasonably recommend Etrian Odyssey to anyone, nor would I recommend Bravely Default without noticing how much the second half of the game apparently sucks. Other games, like Pokemon X/Y, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Fire Emblem Awakening, are fun, but really, really pale in comparison to their past iterations. If you haven't played any of those series before, those games aren't bad starts (or re-entries in the case of Pokemon), but there are much better versions out there, especially on systems like the DS, GameCube, Wii, and all.

So yeah, if you're looking into the PSP library as well, go for a Vita. Definitely a solid buy, just make sure you get PS+ as well.

Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chronic276

@kingjazziephiz - They do have great RPG's, - that's the thing. I'm not going for both, - at least not yet when they're quite expensive and I only have one set of hands lol. Cheers though :)

@SolidGame_basic - Hey, yeah we must be in around the same age group. FF X is a selling point for me, so going for the Vita I think.

Cheers

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

Also don't forget that the Vita has a new model coming out next month that comes with a free game (Borderlands 2). The only thing is that it doesn't have an OLED screen like the original (which may or may not be a big deal to you).

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

There's only one system that will have a portable smash this year. It's not even a contest.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

The 3DS is the system for you if you love JRPGs. You also have the almost endless library of DS titles, and Eshop. So If you missed the DS era its even more of a bonus reason to pick up the 3DS.

You can't really go wrong with either system. Only concerning thing about the Vita is that Its usually one of the worst selling system on the market, while the 3DS is one of the best. So you know where all the developers are going to run too.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@TrappedInABox91 said:

The 3DS is the system for you if you love JRPGs. You also have the almost endless library of DS titles, and Eshop. So If you missed the DS era its even more of a bonus reason to pick up the 3DS.

You can't really go wrong with either system. Only concerning thing about the Vita is that Its usually one of the worst selling system on the market, while the 3DS is one of the best. So you know where all the developers are going to run too.

There's no JRPG on the 3DS that comes close to Persona 4 Golden.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

3DS then a Vita. Both worth the purchase.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

figure out which one has the games you want

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

If you like original JRPGs and Nintendo games: 3DS

If you're feeling nostalgic and want to play remakes of older games, or you really like indie games: PSVita.

Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chronic276

Cheers for the input everyone.

Going to go for the Vita tomorrow and then grab a 3DS at some point in the future as I don't need both right now. Found a good deal with the Vita, FFX and Killzone Mercenary.

Thanks again

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@bbkkristian said:

If you like original JRPGs and Nintendo games: 3DS

If you're feeling nostalgic and want to play remakes of older games, or you really like indie games: PSVita.

I have a 3DS and I want to know what great JRPGs there are? Cause the ones I tried like Etrian & Shin Megami Tensei 4 were both extremely niche to me. I would take the PSP's JRPGs over the 3DS. Heck currently I'm playing Lunar Silver Star Harmony and Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together on my Vita.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I wasn't including PSP and DS in my comparison. If I included those two, you may as well get a DS or PSP because they both have many, many more masterpieces than this current gen.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@PtothaWHAT said:

I'd say the PS Vita. Really good system.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have both, just do some research on the games you want. My favorite games on the 3DS are 1st party titles, but it has a good mix of 3rd party stuff worth your time.

If you do already have PS+, I'd definitely lean towards Vita. A bunch of games to play with your Vita purchase instantly. It's pretty rad.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KBFloYd

@lostrib said:

figure out which one has the games you want

yup...TC is a moron...

doesnt even know what system he wants then posts on system wars of all forums to get an opinion lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Vita is the better hardware, but I feel the 3DS has the better library, especially with DS BC taken into account. Either one I imagine will offer a satisfying experience. But I guess it depends on what kind of games people want to play.

Chronic276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chronic276

@KBFloYd - You're the only one that complained to where I posted this. Yeah I'm unsure what console I want, hence me asking for opinions (Use your head). Do you not think that I've looked through the games and had a look to see what I'd like best, and if that was the case then I wouldn't be here if one stood out to me more than the other. Pft. Kids these days..

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I prefer my ViTA .... I prefer the last gen games and ports over the nintendo first party... simple sad reality.... the 3ds is a terrible device to use for anything.... the only reason people buy it is cheap and mario... not bad reasons as such.

But I'd take ffx, dissidia games, tearaway and remote play with my PS4 over those.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

vita has no games and best ones are japan only

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Either system is great. Both systems have great jrpgs. Vita depends more on if you like indie and if you have played most of the ones it has to offer already.

3DS has a lot of games, but the only really good ones are Fire emblem, Legend of Zelda Atbw and Animal crossing. Pokemon and Mario kart 7 are worse then previous versions.

That said they are both great and you can't go wrong with either. If you do want a vita and live in Northa america wait until the slim comes out so you can either get a slim or take advantage of the price drop on the original model.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

PS Vita with PS+ (if you can justify the added cost)

If not, then 3DS XL (Target is offering a $40 gift card with a purchase of any 3DS XL variant - online orders only, I presume)

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

SlayDS.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You can't go wrong with ether, personally I'd find a list of all the 3DS and Vita games, then see which one has the majority or games that intrigue you and go from there.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KBFloYd

@Ballroompirate said:

You can't go wrong with ether, personally I'd find a list of all the 3DS and Vita games, then see which one has the majority or games that intrigue you and go from there.

perfect answer that youd think a grown man could figure out himself.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Obviously the Vita.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

@Ballroompirate said:

What if OP is a little girl?

Loading Video...

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

If theres someone choosing Vita then explain why and list the ports.

@osirisx3 said:

vita has no games and best ones are japan only

This.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KBFloYd

@ConanTheStoner said:
@KBFloYd said:

@Ballroompirate said:

What if OP is a little girl?

lol

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

You can't really make a bad choice here. Both have great RPGs of varying flavors both in their own catalog and even more in the large catalog of titles they can play from the previous gen (PSP and DS).

Go with your gut.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PS Vita because of better hardware and games.

Only get the 3DS if you really need a nintendo fix.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

vita. games are flooding right now.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Vita if you want Fighting Games and Pretty neat RPGs.

3DS if you want Awesome RPGs and an awesome 1st Party.

Both actually have awesome Back catalogs of PSP (for Vita) and DS (for 3DS) titles

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Both

(get 3DS first, follow it up with a Vita purchase a few months later)

agreed

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I don't know much about the Vita library, but 3DS is excellent, and it surprises me how many people are voting Vita over 3DS in this thread. I wonder if it's a trend to support the underdog, especially a Sony one. Well, I'll offer some balance...

Here are some good 3DS RGPs:

Bravely Default (and Bravely Second if/when it comes out outside Japan)
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon X/Y
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Etrian Odyssey 4
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 (whenever it releases)
Paper Mario Sticker Star Story
The Dempa Men (1 and 2)
Code of Princess

And some others I'm sure

There's tonnes of other good games outside of this genre for 3DS. Good luck deciding.

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46 zanelli  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

@Chronic276: You must have over 500 posts to make a topic in the System Wars forum.