This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

Hey all

I'm looking into buying either a Vita or 3DS. I'm presuming these topics have come up quote often. But I'm looking for some more recent input.

The Vita strikes me quite a fair bit due to the library of PSP games that you can download from the store. The trophy system and just the plain out look of it. I'll be primarily using it for playing RPGs / JRPGs whilst on the move as my work involves a lot of travelling.

If I could have some opinions of what to go for. Why I should go for it and what are the top games they have to offer that would be great.

I'll be buying the console tomorrow.

Cheers

#2 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

PS VITA

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

What games are you interested in and what genres? Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either but the 3DS pales in comparison to the Vita in terms of overall quality of games.

#4 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

Depends on what games you like. 3DS is a good choice if you absolutely love Nintendo games and don't mind playing the millionth reiteration of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. The first party games on the 3DS pwn the Vita's first party but the Vita has caught up quite a bit (3DS also had the benefit of getting a year's start). Vita has a lot more variety of games to play and also gets the added benefit of getting indie games. With Vita you also get cross functionality with PS3 and PS4.

#5 Posted by PtothaWHAT (411 posts) -

I'd say the PS Vita. Really good system.

#6 Edited by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

vitameanslife...

if you are alive you need the vita. vita signifies life.

if you are dead...get the 3ds.

inb4dalock

#7 Edited by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

Cheers for the replies so far!

@Blabadon - As stated in the OP. Mostly going for the JRPG / RPG genre. Loving the look of FF X on the Vita a lot! Will be an amazing blast from the past. But then also games such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default etc on the 3DS are calling my name. But as also stated, the online store for the PSP provides an absolute tonne of games that I'll end up playing too. So far I'm on the Vita side of things.

@SolidGame_basic - Yeah that's the thing, Nintendo games aren't quite as striking for me as they were 10 years ago. Pokemon on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart and the X/Y versions look remarkably good. But still no original Red and Blue. (I miss them days!) The only real topics i could find on comparing the two systems were from around a year ago, all egging on the 3DS. So it kind of threw me off a little, but I'm thinking the Vita's more down my street...

Cheers for replies - Keep 'em coming! :D

#8 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

@Blabadon - As stated in the OP. Mostly going for the JRPG / RPG genre. Loving the look of FF X on the Vita a lot! Will be an amazing blast from the past. But then also games such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default etc on the 3DS are calling my name. But as also stated, the online store for the PSP provides an absolute tonne of games that I'll end up playing too. So far I'm on the Vita side of things.

@SolidGame_basic - Yeah that's the thing, Nintendo games aren't quite as striking for me as they were 10 years ago. Pokemon on the other hand will always have a special place in my heart and the X/Y versions look remarkably good. But still no original Red and Blue. (I miss them days!) The only real topics i could find on comparing the two systems were from around a year ago, all egging on the 3DS. So it kind of threw me off a little, but I'm thinking the Vita's more down my street...

You sound exactly like me. We must be from the same age group lol. FFX on the Vita is awesome by the way. I can't believe I played that over 10 years ago. At least it makes the game sort of refreshing.

#9 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2406 posts) -

I'd say get both. They both have great jrpgs

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (56054 posts) -

Both

(get 3DS first, follow it up with a Vita purchase a few months later)

#11 Edited by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

Ahh, alright. Well, the very best JRPG and RPG between both, Persona 4 Golden, is on the Vita.

The 3DS does have more (J)RPGs, but much more niche ones and lots of flaws. I can't reasonably recommend Etrian Odyssey to anyone, nor would I recommend Bravely Default without noticing how much the second half of the game apparently sucks. Other games, like Pokemon X/Y, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Fire Emblem Awakening, are fun, but really, really pale in comparison to their past iterations. If you haven't played any of those series before, those games aren't bad starts (or re-entries in the case of Pokemon), but there are much better versions out there, especially on systems like the DS, GameCube, Wii, and all.

So yeah, if you're looking into the PSP library as well, go for a Vita. Definitely a solid buy, just make sure you get PS+ as well.

#12 Posted by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

@kingjazziephiz - They do have great RPG's, - that's the thing. I'm not going for both, - at least not yet when they're quite expensive and I only have one set of hands lol. Cheers though :)

@SolidGame_basic - Hey, yeah we must be in around the same age group. FF X is a selling point for me, so going for the Vita I think.

Cheers

#13 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

Also don't forget that the Vita has a new model coming out next month that comes with a free game (Borderlands 2). The only thing is that it doesn't have an OLED screen like the original (which may or may not be a big deal to you).

#14 Posted by vitonemesis (3142 posts) -

There's only one system that will have a portable smash this year. It's not even a contest.

#15 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (527 posts) -

The 3DS is the system for you if you love JRPGs. You also have the almost endless library of DS titles, and Eshop. So If you missed the DS era its even more of a bonus reason to pick up the 3DS.

You can't really go wrong with either system. Only concerning thing about the Vita is that Its usually one of the worst selling system on the market, while the 3DS is one of the best. So you know where all the developers are going to run too.

#16 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

The 3DS is the system for you if you love JRPGs. You also have the almost endless library of DS titles, and Eshop. So If you missed the DS era its even more of a bonus reason to pick up the 3DS.

You can't really go wrong with either system. Only concerning thing about the Vita is that Its usually one of the worst selling system on the market, while the 3DS is one of the best. So you know where all the developers are going to run too.

There's no JRPG on the 3DS that comes close to Persona 4 Golden.

#17 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

3DS then a Vita. Both worth the purchase.

#18 Edited by lostrib (34522 posts) -

figure out which one has the games you want

#19 Posted by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

If you like original JRPGs and Nintendo games: 3DS

If you're feeling nostalgic and want to play remakes of older games, or you really like indie games: PSVita.

#20 Posted by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

Cheers for the input everyone.

Going to go for the Vita tomorrow and then grab a 3DS at some point in the future as I don't need both right now. Found a good deal with the Vita, FFX and Killzone Mercenary.

Thanks again

#21 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

If you like original JRPGs and Nintendo games: 3DS

If you're feeling nostalgic and want to play remakes of older games, or you really like indie games: PSVita.

I have a 3DS and I want to know what great JRPGs there are? Cause the ones I tried like Etrian & Shin Megami Tensei 4 were both extremely niche to me. I would take the PSP's JRPGs over the 3DS. Heck currently I'm playing Lunar Silver Star Harmony and Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together on my Vita.

#22 Posted by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: I wasn't including PSP and DS in my comparison. If I included those two, you may as well get a DS or PSP because they both have many, many more masterpieces than this current gen.

#23 Posted by FinalFighters (1392 posts) -

I'd say the PS Vita. Really good system.

#24 Edited by SolidTy (42451 posts) -

I have both, just do some research on the games you want. My favorite games on the 3DS are 1st party titles, but it has a good mix of 3rd party stuff worth your time.

If you do already have PS+, I'd definitely lean towards Vita. A bunch of games to play with your Vita purchase instantly. It's pretty rad.

#25 Edited by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

@lostrib said:

figure out which one has the games you want

yup...TC is a moron...

doesnt even know what system he wants then posts on system wars of all forums to get an opinion lol

#26 Edited by lamprey263 (23176 posts) -

Vita is the better hardware, but I feel the 3DS has the better library, especially with DS BC taken into account. Either one I imagine will offer a satisfying experience. But I guess it depends on what kind of games people want to play.

#27 Posted by Chronic276 (99 posts) -

@KBFloYd - You're the only one that complained to where I posted this. Yeah I'm unsure what console I want, hence me asking for opinions (Use your head). Do you not think that I've looked through the games and had a look to see what I'd like best, and if that was the case then I wouldn't be here if one stood out to me more than the other. Pft. Kids these days..

#28 Posted by MBirdy88 (7706 posts) -

I prefer my ViTA .... I prefer the last gen games and ports over the nintendo first party... simple sad reality.... the 3ds is a terrible device to use for anything.... the only reason people buy it is cheap and mario... not bad reasons as such.

But I'd take ffx, dissidia games, tearaway and remote play with my PS4 over those.

#29 Posted by osirisx3 (1756 posts) -

vita has no games and best ones are japan only

#30 Posted by inb4uall (5351 posts) -

Either system is great. Both systems have great jrpgs. Vita depends more on if you like indie and if you have played most of the ones it has to offer already.

3DS has a lot of games, but the only really good ones are Fire emblem, Legend of Zelda Atbw and Animal crossing. Pokemon and Mario kart 7 are worse then previous versions.

That said they are both great and you can't go wrong with either. If you do want a vita and live in Northa america wait until the slim comes out so you can either get a slim or take advantage of the price drop on the original model.

#31 Edited by Basinboy (11057 posts) -

PS Vita with PS+ (if you can justify the added cost)

If not, then 3DS XL (Target is offering a $40 gift card with a purchase of any 3DS XL variant - online orders only, I presume)

#32 Edited by tonitorsi (8297 posts) -

SlayDS.

#34 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

You can't go wrong with ether, personally I'd find a list of all the 3DS and Vita games, then see which one has the majority or games that intrigue you and go from there.

#35 Posted by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

You can't go wrong with ether, personally I'd find a list of all the 3DS and Vita games, then see which one has the majority or games that intrigue you and go from there.

perfect answer that youd think a grown man could figure out himself.

#36 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Obviously the Vita.

#37 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

@Ballroompirate said:

What if OP is a little girl?

#38 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (952 posts) -

If theres someone choosing Vita then explain why and list the ports.

@osirisx3 said:

vita has no games and best ones are japan only

This.

#39 Edited by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Ballroompirate said:

What if OP is a little girl?

lol

#40 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

You can't really make a bad choice here. Both have great RPGs of varying flavors both in their own catalog and even more in the large catalog of titles they can play from the previous gen (PSP and DS).

Go with your gut.

#41 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

PS Vita because of better hardware and games.

Only get the 3DS if you really need a nintendo fix.

#42 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2414 posts) -

vita. games are flooding right now.

#43 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24917 posts) -

Vita if you want Fighting Games and Pretty neat RPGs.

3DS if you want Awesome RPGs and an awesome 1st Party.

Both actually have awesome Back catalogs of PSP (for Vita) and DS (for 3DS) titles

#44 Edited by jake44 (1968 posts) -

Both

(get 3DS first, follow it up with a Vita purchase a few months later)

agreed

#45 Posted by trugs26 (5296 posts) -

I don't know much about the Vita library, but 3DS is excellent, and it surprises me how many people are voting Vita over 3DS in this thread. I wonder if it's a trend to support the underdog, especially a Sony one. Well, I'll offer some balance...

Here are some good 3DS RGPs:

Bravely Default (and Bravely Second if/when it comes out outside Japan)
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon X/Y
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Etrian Odyssey 4
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 (whenever it releases)
Paper Mario Sticker Star Story
The Dempa Men (1 and 2)
Code of Princess

And some others I'm sure

There's tonnes of other good games outside of this genre for 3DS. Good luck deciding.

#46 Posted by zanelli (768 posts) -

@Chronic276: You must have over 500 posts to make a topic in the System Wars forum.