Virtua Fighter 5 is the PS3's first #1game in Japan (none yet for the X360)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arredondo
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/14/103,1171451422,67107,0,0.html

This ranking data is straight from Famitsu's website.

Achieving in a few months what the X360 hasn't done in a year, Virtua Fighter 5 becomes the first PS3 game to shoot right to the top of the charts in Japan. Sony critics have tried to spin the numbers up to this point, but in the end it's the scoreboard that counts.

In related news, Gears of Wars had a brief apperance at #7, but is no longer in the top 10 it seems. How is the software for Sony and Microsoft's systems faring so far in the land of the rising sun?

#1 Japanese Sales Ranking Achievement Points

PlayStation 3: 1 point

XBox 360: 0 points

Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
Great. Now let's see if this will get PS3 sales higher than the PS2s.
arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arredondo
Great. Now let's see if this will get PS3 sales higher than the PS2s. fatzombiepigeon
Which is another thing the X360 hasn't done over there after a year's release.
ghlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ghlu
Member since 2006 • 108 Posts
I saw the news on a japanese blog. it also mentioned that VF5 sold around 50K in its first week, not too impressive for such a high profile game. I actually expect it to be much higher :( And so Wii Sports become the first platinum hits in Japan..
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
[QUOTE="fatzombiepigeon"]Great. Now let's see if this will get PS3 sales higher than the PS2s. larshaun

No it hasn't. But that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 sales over there keep slumping. They've gone from 25000 weekly to around 18000.
arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arredondo
[QUOTE="larshaun"][QUOTE="fatzombiepigeon"]Great. Now let's see if this will get PS3 sales higher than the PS2s. fatzombiepigeon

No it hasn't. But that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 sales over there keep slumping. They've gone from 25000 weekly to around 18000.

That doesn't change the fact that all consoles have had drops in sales since Christmas. In fact, just about every product ever made in human history sells less after the Christmas season.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
lol.

Xbox 360 losing in achievement points.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
I can't think of anything sadder than saying your choice of purchase is the better because it's selling more in Japan.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
And if this were Japan, that would mean something.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thinicer
I think it's pretty funny that Sony fanboys are getting excited about sales of what soon will be a multi-plat fighting game in another country. I guess since the news has been so grim lately they will take what they can get.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sdifjds
Member since 2003 • 1088 Posts
I think it's pretty funny that Sony fanboys are getting excited about sales of what soon will be a multi-plat fighting game in another country. I guess since the news has been so grim lately they will take what they can get.thinicer
Silly. it has nothing to do with that. People wouldn't even be mentioning this if LEMMINGS hadn't been saying VF5 was doing poorly. You might want to re-evaluate your thinking as to who was being desperate.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/14/103,1171451422,67107,0,0.html

This ranking data is straight from Famitsu's website.

Achieving in a few months what the X360 hasn't done in a year, Virtua Fighter 5 becomes the first PS3 game to shoot right to the top of the charts in Japan. Sony critics have tried to spin the numbers up to this point, but in the end it's the scoreboard that counts.

In related news, Gears of Wars had a brief apperance at #7, but is no longer in the top 10 it seems. How is the software for Sony and Microsoft's systems faring so far in the land of the rising sun?

#1 Japanese Sales Ranking Achievement Points

PlayStation 3: 1 point

XBox 360: 0 points

larshaun

JAPAN. Key country there. MS won't win in Japan. We know that. For laughs and giggles, what is the Wii vs PS3 breakdown?
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

I don't see why this Japanese sales crap is important.  These are the people who play girlfriend sims like they're going out of style. 

This game's going to be great - I think everyone can reach that conclusion.  So who cares how it's selling across the pond?

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thinicer
[QUOTE="thinicer"]I think it's pretty funny that Sony fanboys are getting excited about sales of what soon will be a multi-plat fighting game in another country. I guess since the news has been so grim lately they will take what they can get.sdifjds
Silly. it has nothing to do with that. People wouldn't even be mentioning this if LEMMINGS hadn't been saying VF5 was doing poorly. You might want to re-evaluate your thinking as to who was being desperate.

Yes, it's very sad that people are bringing up titles and getting excited about them when they are games with nothing more than AA or A potential and when they probably won't buy them anyway.

Given the dearth of games currently available on the PS3, I can understand why. That's why VF5 is being brought up all the time because there is nothing else to bash or praise right now.
donut349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 donut349
Member since 2003 • 3951 Posts
Too bad I live in the US... :?
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Yes, it's very sad that people are bringing up titles and getting excited about them when they are games with nothing more than AA or A potential and when they probably won't buy them anyway.

Given the dearth of games currently available on the PS3, I can understand why. That's why VF5 is being brought up all the time because there is nothing else to bash or praise right now.
thinicer

So I assume it was the same case for those brinigng up Gears of War and Twightlight Princess eh?

Sad Indeed.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thinicer

[QUOTE="thinicer"]

DementedDragon

So I assume it was the same case for those brinigng up Gears of War and Twightlight Princess eh?

Sad Indeed.

Yes, we all know that VF5 ranks among Gears and Zelda in hype and popularity since it's such a huge franchise that can single-handedly move consoles into peoples' living rooms.
fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts
Naysayers owned.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Thats great for VF. I really was starting to wonder what the hell was wrong?...........
DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
San Andreas was top the other week. :)
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Yes, we all know that VF5 ranks among Gears and Zelda in hype and popularity since it's such a huge franchise that can single-handedly move consoles into peoples' living rooms.
thinicer

No one is saying it does, but that's what you're making it out to be.  By saying this is the only noteworthy game PS3 fans can get excited for.   

Avatar image for XtinctionAgenda
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XtinctionAgenda
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts

In Japan:

VF5 = 49,500 WK#1 (675,000 PS3s)

DOA4 =60,000 WK#1 (80,000 360s)

/thread

arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 arredondo
Links supporting your numbers please.
Avatar image for XtinctionAgenda
XtinctionAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XtinctionAgenda
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts
http://www.vgcharts.org
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
Yea and the Wii is kicking both the PS3 and 360's arses, next?
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts
i wish i lived in japan so i could care... :lol:
arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 arredondo
http://www.vgcharts.orgXtinctionAgenda
As one sided as system war debates can be, I do respect those who can at least use facts to support their points. While DoA4 came out at the end of the holiday period, you were right about the sales shown at vgcharts... I tip my hat to you. It's interesting that starting the second week, DoA4 sales dropped very quickly, down to less than 1K units in a short period of time. Can VF5 hold on to solid sales past this first week? We'll see. I also see that vgcharts is showing that Microsoft has finally hit 9 million worldwide sales to consumers. I wonder when they will finally hit the 10 million sales mark they set before Christmas?
chrisoff_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chrisoff_1
Member since 2003 • 4138 Posts

In Japan:

VF5 = 49,500 WK#1 (675,000 PS3s)

DOA4 =60,000 WK#1 (80,000 360s)

/thread

XtinctionAgenda

have you seen the drop in sales numbers in japan at the moment? it would help to know when DOA4 had its release in japan it makes all the diffrence

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]http://www.vgcharts.orglarshaun
As one sided as system war debates can be, I do respect those who can at least use facts to support their points. While DoA4 came out at the end of the holiday period, you were right about the sales shown at vgcharts... I tip my hat to you. It's interesting that starting the second week, DoA4 sales dropped very quickly, down to less than 1K units in a short period of time. Can VF5 hold on to solid sales past this first week? We'll see. I also see that vgcharts is showing that Microsoft has finally hit 9 million worldwide sales to consumers. I wonder when they will finally hit the 10 million sales mark they set before Christmas?

Actually, VGcharts is crap, MS hit 10.4 million over the hollidays.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

[QUOTE="XtinctionAgenda"]http://www.vgcharts.orglarshaun

vgcharts are not valid, as their numbers are not fed by ms, sony nor ninty...

the 360 is at 13 million...

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

I think it's pretty funny that Sony fanboys are getting excited about sales of what soon will be a multi-plat fighting game in another country. I guess since the news has been so grim lately they will take what they can get.thinicer

lol, yea i'm just waiting for the 360 version to come out :)