VG247: Xbox One Price Cut 'Middle Finger' To Early Adopters

  • 121 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

Three months after release, Microsoft’s panic price cut is an insult to its most loyal fans. And as an added kick in the jewels they get to see later adopters pick up Titanfall for free.

Microsoft took a lot of people off guard today by announcing a price cut in the UK on the Xbox One, a games console it only released last November.

Critics, analysts, fans, marketers and everyone else with a throwaway opinion had been calling out Microsoft for its overpriced console since it first revealed the price point at E3 last year, but it was still a shock to see the company slash £30 off the machine and throw in a copy of Titanfall to boot.

Yep, Titanfall. The most anticipated game on the console. Possibly the most-anticipated game of the year. The one many had been holding off buying the console for. At the risk of repeating myself, now you can pick up the console for less and the game for free.

Surely none were more shocked than the early adopters of the Xbox One, those dedicated fans who bought the machine on day one. These are the fans who not only helped push the console to more than 3.9 million units shipped worldwide but also hoovered up the first batch of high-profile releases, no matter how they reviewed.

Clearly, sales of Microsoft’s Xbox One are lagging behind Sony’s PlayStation 4 in the UK. There’s no other way to assess such an immediate and drastic price cut less than three months after release. It’s a panic move from Microsoft.

It cannot let Sony get ahead and stay ahead this early in the console lifecycle otherwise it remains in second place for years. And in a race that only has two competitors, second place is first loser.

This may be Microsoft levelling the playing field with Sony, but it does so at the cost of pulling the rug out from under the asses of its most loyal supporters.

Obviously people buy a console on day one for many reasons, and no-one forced them to drop £429 on their hardware of choice.

But neither did they expect to see the price cut so quickly and have to fork out £50 for a game later adopters are now going to get for free.

When Microsoft cut the price of the original Xbox in 2002 (for the same reason – sluggish sales) it offered two free games to early adopters and an extra controller. So far, there has been no such “thank you package”.

Indeed, Microsoft’s latest backtrack for its games console – of which there have been a ludicrous amount – is more of a “fuck you package” to the fans it should be grateful to for supporting it so far in this console war.

I really, really hope Microsoft has some sort of 'Ambassador Program' arranged here. They did it with the original Xbox, and they let fans have a game for free; Nintendo did it with the N64 (and allowed full refunds), and 3DS (and gave away twenty free games), so if Microsoft does not want to lose even more goodwill, they need to pacify early adopters.

SOURCE

#2 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

Is this only in the UK?

#3 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

You know, I'm kind of split on this kind of thing. The thing is, they were willing to pay the original price on Day 1. They knew they could've waited, but they wanted to show their support. So will they really mind?

#4 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9828 posts) -

Only in the UK....but I will be mad if it happens in the states anytime soon.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

Is this only in the UK?

So far, yes

@mrintro said:

You know, I'm kind of split on this kind of thing. The thing is, they were willing to pay the original price on Day 1. They knew they could've waited, but they wanted to show their support. So will they really mind?

I'm on board with you for that in that people who bought it for that price clearly thought the system was worth their money, right?

But the thing is, with a price cut this early, Microsoft stands to piss them off. I mean, even if I am an Xbox fan, why would I buy the next Xbox at launch if I know a major price cut is just about three months away, you know?

So the least Microsoft could do would be to pacify the fans, especially since early adopters not only had to pay more for the console, they also have to pay full price to buy the biggest game for their console that newcomers now get for free.

#6 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Is this only in the UK?

So far, yes

@mrintro said:

You know, I'm kind of split on this kind of thing. The thing is, they were willing to pay the original price on Day 1. They knew they could've waited, but they wanted to show their support. So will they really mind?

I'm on board with you for that in that people who bought it for that price clearly thought the system was worth their money, right?

But the thing is, with a price cut this early, Microsoft stands to piss them off. I mean, even if I am an Xbox fan, why would I buy the next Xbox at launch if I know a major price cut is just about three months away, you know?

So the least Microsoft could do would be to pacify the fans, especially since early adopters not only had to pay more for the console, they also have to pay full price to buy the biggest game for their console that newcomers now get for free.

Microsoft probably should do something if they don't expect the Xbone to be the last console they every release. I don't think they need to go as far as Nintendo did with the Ambassador program, but they should probably consider giving all current owners a free year of XBLG or something.

#7 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

NONE and I mean None of the latest consoles are worth their asking price currently.

#8 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

Glad I waited :p
Let's hope this price cut comes to other territories.

#9 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

I really don't think this price cut will help MS much, anyway, especially in Europe, where PC gaming is bigger than it is in the US. The only system seller the console is getting this year is going to be a whole lot better on the PC.

#10 Posted by finalstar2007 (24926 posts) -

lol Microsoft

BUT you gotta also realize 399 EU is like $700 so its still expensive either ways and they wont change the US price one bit only in xbox fans dreams they would.

the sudden change in price must mean its doing terrible in there even worse than the 3DS price drop

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Is this only in the UK?

So far, yes

@mrintro said:

You know, I'm kind of split on this kind of thing. The thing is, they were willing to pay the original price on Day 1. They knew they could've waited, but they wanted to show their support. So will they really mind?

I'm on board with you for that in that people who bought it for that price clearly thought the system was worth their money, right?

But the thing is, with a price cut this early, Microsoft stands to piss them off. I mean, even if I am an Xbox fan, why would I buy the next Xbox at launch if I know a major price cut is just about three months away, you know?

So the least Microsoft could do would be to pacify the fans, especially since early adopters not only had to pay more for the console, they also have to pay full price to buy the biggest game for their console that newcomers now get for free.

Microsoft probably should do something if they don't expect the Xbone to be the last console they every release. I don't think they need to go as far as Nintendo did with the Ambassador program, but they should probably consider giving all current owners a free year of XBLG or something.

I honestly don't think they will do that, but maybe just give away a full Killer Instinct package or something. Just, anything.

#12 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

The discount is $60 in the US (Xbox One Titanfall bundle is $499). I feel a bit disappointed but not much. I have also already played several games on the XB1 since launch day - Ryse, DR3, Forza 5, FIFA 2014, Tomb Raider, and Plant vs Zombie (which will be released tonight digitally). I am also using the XB1 TV features and SmartGlass. So, I think that I got my money worth getting the XB1 early.

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

They knew the risks when buying a launch console. They shouldn't get anything.

#14 Posted by always_explicit (2702 posts) -

If you purchased the X1 day one as I did you did so with the knowledge that a price cut was inevitable. Its ridiculous to get angry about an inevitability. My concern isnt with the price I CHOSE to pay. My concern is that the product I bought receives ongoing support and provides value for that money. By MS reducing the price they are going to encourage consumers to buy....the more consumers buy the more incentive MS has to provide the aforementioned support and value.

The cheaper this console gets the better.

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

They knew the risks when buying a launch console. They shouldn't get anything.

They aren't entitled to anything, but if Microsoft cares at all about keeping them as loyal customers, they probably should get something. This console just launched in November.

#16 Posted by Desmonic (13382 posts) -

Late brah. Already a thread :P

I'm guessing they offer some game for free digitally. Let's give them a couple more days.

#17 Posted by Netret0120 (2027 posts) -

TLHBO

But honestly, I would be pissed if i was an early adopter.

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

Only in the UK....but I will be mad if it happens in the states anytime soon.

Sucker!!

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Late brah. Already a thread :P

I'm guessing they offer some game for free digitally. Let's give them a couple more days.

I know there is a thread on the price cut, but none on this article, bro =p

#20 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

Any one who bought an XBone in these first months should have known they were going to be used as a fap rag. That's the price you pay for following the hype.

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13382 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Late brah. Already a thread :P

I'm guessing they offer some game for free digitally. Let's give them a couple more days.

I know there is a thread on the price cut, but none on this article, bro =p

Pfft, semantics lol

#22 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

Any one who bought an XBone in these first months should have known they were going to be used as a fap rag. That's the price you pay for following the hype.

This is not just true of Xbox One, to be fair. It's true of buying anything at launch, whether Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, or any consumer electronic, really.

#23 Posted by kingtito (4851 posts) -

So a price cut is giving the middle finger to the early adopters? Did anyone actually expect it to stay at it's launch price? Didn't Sony cut the price of the PS3 twice in the 1st year? It's asinine to think MS wasn't going to cut the price, especially if it wasn't selling well in a particular region.

How anyone would see this as an F U to the early adopters is beyond me. Product not meeting your expectation, you drop the price. This concept is not new nor is it exclusive.

#24 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Any one who bought an XBone in these first months should have known they were going to be used as a fap rag. That's the price you pay for following the hype.

This is not just true of Xbox One, to be fair. It's true of buying anything at launch, whether Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, or any consumer electronic, really.

Agreed. You buy something Day 1 to have the bragging rights or to be the first of your friends with the shiny new toy. That being said, Microsofts miscalculations sure have a way of sapping that "new console smell" right out of the living room lol

#25 Edited by -Damien- (5268 posts) -

TLHBONED

#26 Edited by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Any one who bought an XBone in these first months should have known they were going to be used as a fap rag. That's the price you pay for following the hype.

This is not just true of Xbox One, to be fair. It's true of buying anything at launch, whether Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, or any consumer electronic, really.

Agreed. You buy something Day 1 to have the bragging rights or to be the first of your friends with the shiny new toy. That being said, Microsofts miscalculations sure have a way of sapping that "new console smell" right out of the living room lol

Yeah lol... which is why they should extend an olive branch, I think. To kind of pacify pissed off early adopters.

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7163 posts) -

MS should offer early UK adopters a digital copy of Titanfall or something. I'd be a little peeved if I were an early adopter, but them's the risks.

#28 Edited by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

I guess getting your ass kicked everywhere caused this. Good for them, MS admitting they are lacking behind.

#29 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9828 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Only in the UK....but I will be mad if it happens in the states anytime soon.

Sucker!!

Nah I love the Xbox One but at least give it a full year before a price drop, otherwise it is kind of a screw you to the people that supported MS.

#30 Edited by hamster3_3 (130 posts) -

How can you be mad about a product you bought getting a price cut? It's always going to happen. You can't expect a refund or something free.

#31 Edited by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Only in the UK....but I will be mad if it happens in the states anytime soon.

Sucker!!

Nah I love the Xbox One but at least give it a full year before a price drop, otherwise it is kind of a screw you to the people that supported MS.

Supporting.. MS.. You make it sound like a charity banquet or something LOL! God this is the best day ever!

#32 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

They deserve it for supporting an anti-gaming machine. Microsoft is just treating them for what they are: filthy anti-gamers. That's Microsoft's target audience.

#33 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9828 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Shewgenja said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Only in the UK....but I will be mad if it happens in the states anytime soon.

Sucker!!

Nah I love the Xbox One but at least give it a full year before a price drop, otherwise it is kind of a screw you to the people that supported MS.

Supporting.. MS.. You make it sound like a charity banquet or something LOL! God this is the best day ever!

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

#34 Posted by Icarian (1474 posts) -

Is this a surprise? When do people finally learn not to adopt early? You will always pay more for less. So, sorry, can't feel sympathy for you.

#35 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

the x1 was selling for nearly $700us in uk. of course it needed a price cut...

middle finger to early adopters... every single person knows damn well if they wait they can get something cheaper...

#36 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3815 posts) -

@kingtito said:

So a price cut is giving the middle finger to the early adopters? Did anyone actually expect it to stay at it's launch price? Didn't Sony cut the price of the PS3 twice in the 1st year? It's asinine to think MS wasn't going to cut the price, especially if it wasn't selling well in a particular region.

How anyone would see this as an F U to the early adopters is beyond me. Product not meeting your expectation, you drop the price. This concept is not new nor is it exclusive.

^^^^^ideal m$ customer right here people. doesnt care m$ offering discount just 3 months after release, he is just happy m$ is making money haha

#39 Posted by kingtito (4851 posts) -

@kingtito said:

So a price cut is giving the middle finger to the early adopters? Did anyone actually expect it to stay at it's launch price? Didn't Sony cut the price of the PS3 twice in the 1st year? It's asinine to think MS wasn't going to cut the price, especially if it wasn't selling well in a particular region.

How anyone would see this as an F U to the early adopters is beyond me. Product not meeting your expectation, you drop the price. This concept is not new nor is it exclusive.

^^^^^ideal m$ customer right here people. doesnt care m$ offering discount just 3 months after release, he is just happy m$ is making money haha

Nope doesn't bother me at all. Price drops happen and they happen all the time. This isn't new and I wasn't stupid enough to think it wasn't going to happen. No different that people paying premium prices for the PS4 on ebay just to be an early adopter.

What's lame is people like you trying to claim ownage for a price drop. SWs is getting dumber and dumber

#40 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

#41 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24844 posts) -

Sometimes, being an Early adopter works.

I can play GBA games on my 3DS.

#42 Posted by V3rciS (2212 posts) -

What xbox? Still no good reason to buy one.

#43 Posted by Chutebox (36572 posts) -

Heh, I just bought mine used with 2 games, extra controller and plug n play kit for 500. So this doesn't bother me at all.

#44 Posted by 35cent (891 posts) -

This was inevitable. The original price was higher than the PS3's launch price I think. I'm surprised they even launched it at £430. I'll still wait until the end of the year at the earliest to pick one up though. Don't have the cash or the conviction to buy it now.

#45 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9828 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

If you give any company money for a product or service you are supporting that company or service, that's just common sense. It has nothing to do with emotion.

#46 Edited by Chutebox (36572 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

You buying a companies merchandise is you supporting them. It has nothing to do with emotions, especially to a company.

#47 Posted by StormyJoe (4849 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

No emotional investment? HA HA HA HA!!! Dude, you are one of the biggest super-moo-cow-trolls on this site, and you are going to tell people you have no "emotional investment"?

What a bunch of bullshit.

#48 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3815 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

So a price cut is giving the middle finger to the early adopters? Did anyone actually expect it to stay at it's launch price? Didn't Sony cut the price of the PS3 twice in the 1st year? It's asinine to think MS wasn't going to cut the price, especially if it wasn't selling well in a particular region.

How anyone would see this as an F U to the early adopters is beyond me. Product not meeting your expectation, you drop the price. This concept is not new nor is it exclusive.

^^^^^ideal m$ customer right here people. doesnt care m$ offering discount just 3 months after release, he is just happy m$ is making money haha

Nope doesn't bother me at all. Price drops happen and they happen all the time. This isn't new and I wasn't stupid enough to think it wasn't going to happen. No different that people paying premium prices for the PS4 on ebay just to be an early adopter.

What's lame is people like you trying to claim ownage for a price drop. SWs is getting dumber and dumber

u wouldnt survive in business with that mentality. even m$ offered free games to early original xbox adaptors after a early price drop because most people are casual/semi-casual gamers who feel ripped off and are unlikely to buy early from the company again which is why companies offer them something like nintendo ambassador scheme. price drops happen but they are not supposed to happen 3 months into lifecycle and those who buy of ebay do so knowingly, u think early adopters expected price drop after 3 months?

#49 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

No emotional investment? HA HA HA HA!!! Dude, you are one of the biggest super-moo-cow-trolls on this site, and you are going to tell people you have no "emotional investment"?

What a bunch of bullshit.

Just because you are a corporate fap rag doesn't mean everyone else is.

#50 Edited by StormyJoe (4849 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

When you buy something from a company are you not supporting them?

Nope. Just getting a machine that plays games. I have no emotional investment in the process. If you support anything, support the developers that make the games.

No emotional investment? HA HA HA HA!!! Dude, you are one of the biggest super-moo-cow-trolls on this site, and you are going to tell people you have no "emotional investment"?

What a bunch of bullshit.

Just because you are a corporate fap rag doesn't mean everyone else is.

Whatever, man. You just made me laugh by insinuating you don't have "no emotional investment" in the PS4. Maybe if I was new to this forum, I might "possibly" believe you on face value; but come on, that's like the Pope saying he is agnostic.