VG247: Cheaper XBONE model to be released later this year

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Hows about drop mandatory Kinect, keep discs and keep it to $400/£299. That would be an appealing console compared to the....thing no one outside of NA seems to want. Poor MS are getting their bums thoroughly and hilariously kicked in good ol' Yurop, lawlzers.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

@kinectthedots said:

@2ndwonder said:

@Shewgenja said:

@2ndwonder:

That's simply not true. The Emotion Engine was a pretty crazy chip. Even to this day, PC emulators have a pretty hard time running a lot of PS2 games because of that.

You don't think sony blocked it on purpose? If they didn't why are they converting ps2 games for the ps3 on the store?

But it is, just go youtube it. It's against the rules to discuss how. I'm sure you've heard of firmware 3.55. All ps3 models except for the superslim are able to "go back" to that firmware. That's all I can say on the matter.

Dude stop with the stupid fanboy conspiricy theories.

The PS2 emulation HARDWARE was expensive to put into PS3's at the time and it did raise the cost of the console. You are talking about something completely diffentent in a pathetic attempt to make a point about something no one is talking about.

You are talking about SOFTWARE emulation. The cost of the PS3s with software emulation was already reduced below the initial $600 launch BECAUSE they saved moeny by takeing actual PS2 HARDWARE out of the price making the console!!! Any argument you are making about removing software emulation from the PS3 has nothing to do with the discussion because Sony had already reduced the price of the console when they removed the PS2 hardware from PS3.

Get it? Now stop trying to mix two diffrent arguments together, Firmware had nothign to do with the cost of PS3 consoles, PS2 hardware added in the cost of every PS3 did.

There is no fanboy conspiricies here. I hold no loyality to a piece of plastic.

Apparently you don't know how to read things and you just jump into something without any knowledge of what was going on before.

Taken from my first post in the topic.

"Not to intentionally go off topic with this, but this poked out at me."

If no one was taking about this I wouldn't have brought it up, simple as that. And no, it wasn't a pathetic attempt. I think the pathetic thing here is that you went out of your way to jump into something I was discussing with another person, to defend it, when I wasn't saying anything bad about it. Who is the fanboy now?

Of course they "saved" some money by taking that out, but it wasn't needed from the get go.... The reason the ps3 was $600 was "mainly" because of the blu ray, not the ps2 hardware. :/ If you want to see what they took out, I'll gladly show you. And I can do it right now. I've got 6 ps3s, 4 of them which are different from one another and 5 of them are broke. Owner since 2007.

If you read right I never mentioned anything about the firmware affecting the cost. That firmware I mentioned, proves that it was blocked. All ps3s, except for the superslim can play ps2 games, with or without the extra ps2 hardware that was in the first batch of the ps3s. Again, this has nothing to do with cost. You brought that up.

2ndwonder writes: "Again, this has nothing to do with cost. You brought that up."

In his first post

2ndwonder wrote:"Cutting the B/C from the PS3 saved them nothing."

Kinnectthedots writes...lololol

NEXT

2ndwonder writes: " I wasn't saying anything bad about it. Who is the fanboy now?"

in his first post

2ndwonder wrote: "It was more of them tricking you into thinking it saved them something."

Kinnectthedots writes...LMFAO

The PS3 was $600 mainly because of the Bluray drive, however when they removed the PS2 hardware they were able to dorp the price of the PS3 dropped and the BD drive was never removed...fancy that.

Any more contradictions and misinformation you'd like to add before we conclude?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts
@2ndwonder said:

@Shewgenja said:

Well, when Sony had to cut out B/C from the PS3 to save production costs and accelerate price drops

Not to intentionally go off topic with this, but this poked out at me. Cutting the B/C from the PS3 saved them nothing. It was more of them tricking you into thinking it saved them something. Because in actuallity, all ps3 models can play ps2 games with or without the stuff they took out.

All for the sake of selling HD re-releases

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@2ndwonder said:

@Shewgenja said:

Well, when Sony had to cut out B/C from the PS3 to save production costs and accelerate price drops

Not to intentionally go off topic with this, but this poked out at me. Cutting the B/C from the PS3 saved them nothing. It was more of them tricking you into thinking it saved them something. Because in actuallity, all ps3 models can play ps2 games with or without the stuff they took out.

What a bunch of BS and misinformation, and from a mod no less. Surprise? Not at all.

Let me dispel your ignorance and fanboy conspiracies with links and facts to put any more of your objections firmly to rest.

"Emotion Engine was a custom CPU that was built specially for PlayStation 2. A lot of PS2 exclusives relied heavily on it. It was not easy to emulate it and hence Sony even included it in earlier PlayStation 3 models to keep Backward Compatibilitysupport for PS2 intact in PS3.

The emotion engine was dropped later from PlayStation 3 and Sony instead worked on emulating it and provided Backward Compatibility for PS2 through Software Emulation. It took them years of development to finally create a Software Emulator for PS2 that had some decent compatibility."

http://gearnuke.com/kitase-emotion-engine-ps2-ps2-really-high-performance-graphics-machine/

"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the details of the reduced backwards compatibility of the PlayStation 3 game console to be sold in PAL regions. Apparently, the company will offer a different version of the console with lower production costs due to a removed chip, which combines graphics processor and microprocessor used in the PlayStation 2, for those countries.

“The Emotion Engine [and Graphics Synthesizer chip] has been removed and that function has been replaced with software,” said Nick Sharples, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in London. That has a “slightly detrimental effect” on compatibility, he added in an interview with Digit Online web-site.

The original PlayStation 2 game console used so-called Emotion Engine (a 128-bit RISC processor working at 299MHz) with integrated RDRAM controller as central processing unit (CPU) as well as Graphics Synthesizer graphics processing unit. Later on the EE and GS were incorporated into a single chip, which is currently used in slim version of the PS2 and for backwards compatibility in the PS3 sold in Japan and the U.S. According to analysts, the EE+GS chip costs $27, whereas 32MB RDRAM is unlikely to cost more than $5. But despite of about $30 added cost amid higher prices of the PlayStation 3 for PAL regions, Sony’s shareholders reportedly insisted on removing the piece of silicon from the console, which is sold for at least $241 less than its manufacturing costs in the U.S."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070226073502.html

When anything else "pokes out at you" just go back further in your cave and save everyone from your misinformation.

I'm not gonna post links from 2007 and then tell someone to go back into a cave.
If you want to be stuck in 2007 and not believe me, then do so.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@2ndwonder said:

@kinectthedots said:

@2ndwonder said:

@Shewgenja said:

What a bunch of BS and misinformation, and from a mod no less. Surprise? Not at all.

Let me dispel your ignorance and fanboy conspiracies with links and facts to put any more of your objections firmly to rest.

"Emotion Engine was a custom CPU that was built specially for PlayStation 2. A lot of PS2 exclusives relied heavily on it. It was not easy to emulate it and hence Sony even included it in earlier PlayStation 3 models to keep Backward Compatibilitysupport for PS2 intact in PS3.

The emotion engine was dropped later from PlayStation 3 and Sony instead worked on emulating it and provided Backward Compatibility for PS2 through Software Emulation. It took them years of development to finally create a Software Emulator for PS2 that had some decent compatibility."

http://gearnuke.com/kitase-emotion-engine-ps2-ps2-really-high-performance-graphics-machine/

"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the details of the reduced backwards compatibility of the PlayStation 3 game console to be sold in PAL regions. Apparently, the company will offer a different version of the console with lower production costs due to a removed chip, which combines graphics processor and microprocessor used in the PlayStation 2, for those countries.

“The Emotion Engine [and Graphics Synthesizer chip] has been removed and that function has been replaced with software,” said Nick Sharples, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe in London. That has a “slightly detrimental effect” on compatibility, he added in an interview with Digit Online web-site.

The original PlayStation 2 game console used so-called Emotion Engine (a 128-bit RISC processor working at 299MHz) with integrated RDRAM controller as central processing unit (CPU) as well as Graphics Synthesizer graphics processing unit. Later on the EE and GS were incorporated into a single chip, which is currently used in slim version of the PS2 and for backwards compatibility in the PS3 sold in Japan and the U.S. According to analysts, the EE+GS chip costs $27, whereas 32MB RDRAM is unlikely to cost more than $5. But despite of about $30 added cost amid higher prices of the PlayStation 3 for PAL regions, Sony’s shareholders reportedly insisted on removing the piece of silicon from the console, which is sold for at least $241 less than its manufacturing costs in the U.S."

When anything else "pokes out at you" just go back further in your cave and save everyone from your misinformation.

I'm not gonna post links from 2007 and then tell someone to go back into a cave.

Believe you?

Who are you but a SW poster with mod priviliges. Your argument, if we can call it that, doesn't hold any more weight than any other poster here. Either argue with facts or get called out for inventing BS. I bought facts to the table and you brought your "them tricking you" conspiricy theory.

You obviosly don't have any facts to add and support your claim so it is best you discontinue your silly attempt to push what ever it was you were trying to say here.

Good day.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@2ndwonder said:

@kinectthedots said:

@2ndwonder said:

@Shewgenja said:

Believe you?

Who are you but a SW poster with mod priviliges. Your argument, if we can call it that, doesn't hold any more weight than any other poster here. Either argue with facts or get called out for inventing BS. I bought facts to the table and you brought your "them tricking you" conspiricy theory.

You obviosly don't have any facts to add and support your claim so it is best you discontinue your silly attempt to push what ever it was you were trying to say here.

Good day.

One of your so called facts dates to 2007. Which this is now 2014, correct me if I'm wrong on that.

As I stated before they all have b/c. And you don't need emotion engine or software emulation.
http://i60.tinypic.com/15pfu2o.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/20thxzt.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/sv2ufa.jpg

Somethings can't be posted here.....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@TheEroica: its amazing how many people I know are talking about liking that now. So when MS announced x1 with drm it was all bad, but selling a console with no disc drive essentially eliminating used games is ok? People hat change, yet that's all life is made up of, LoL.

For me, it's never been about the proposal of relying on DD to provide our games... shit Steam is the worlds greatest gaming service bar none, to me.... but where MS lost my "day 1" money is in the confusion and misguided attempt to police the games we buy... As an old time gamer, I still have a place in my heart for physical media, but im ready to let it go for a more streamlined methood like DD. I just don't want there to have to be an internet connection constantly pumping through machine to boot the game. THATS where I draw the line for myself and gamers everywhere. That's a direct policing of the games I play. I dont need to trade em, re sell em or whatever.... just dont take away my rght to play what I have purchased.

that said... A white, 1tb Xone with no disk drive at 399$ sounds very tempting.... I hope we get the option sooner than later.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The first generation Playstation 3 had both the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesizer. This is the only PS3 that had full backwards compatibility. The first revision took out the Emotion Engine but still had Graphics Synthesizer and had limited backwards compatibility as a result. After that, they scrapped the hardware and software emulation altogether. Turns out, the Playstation 2 had a pretty exotic architecture. PC emulators to this day struggle with a lot of games.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I think they'll have one with 250gb hdd, but by then external storage will be available.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stizzal13 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

No shit. Did people think it was going to be $499 forever?

Hopefully it'll make their loss even bigger or be that ridiculous discless model.

If they took away the Kinect and blue-ray player, then I would consider getting one when the library ramps up...maybe...

To be honest, I would love to see a cheaper, discless PS4 (but that is not going to happen). I do not like to deal with physical media.

Just because you don't...doesn't mean others are against physical media. I want physical media for everything.

I am the same way. I don't trust companies keeping the keys to my product purchases for all eternity