VG journalism is going down hill.

• 59 results
#1 Posted by lightleggy (15904 posts) -

Really, it just keeps going down...I miss the good old day without inflated scores, or when editors would never allow for a biased review to go live (I'm looking at CP gone home review).

Great video about this issue

thoughts on this?

#2 Posted by lostrib (34263 posts) -

I'm more annoyed by although ones who now get "offended" by everything in games

#3 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Going? It's already fell off the hill and is drowning in a river of shit as we speak.

#4 Posted by Animal-Mother (26529 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#5 Edited by B4X (3564 posts) -

This article is brought to you from Microsoft, Sony, or the money hat.

Blah, blahhh, blah. FUD Hyperbole. The end.

#6 Posted by lightleggy (15904 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Yes that issue is also mentioned in the video. It's just some sort of strategy to get more views or attention. Really, you should NOT let your personal views get in the way of your job, that's not professional at all.

Like how Patricia Hernandez from Kotaku always nitpicks every single game in search for anti feminist or homophobic messages just to write a huge article about how said game is horrible because it doesn't respect society.

#7 Edited by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

with twitch, youtube and demos who needs reviews anymore? The only use reviews have these days is for bragging right in SW.

After playing a bit of Xenoblade and MGS4, 2 games with 90+/100 on Metacritic I couldn't care less about reviews. I liked MGS4 for what it was, fan service, but as a game? It was trash.

And what about FF13? 80+/100 on Metacritic. lol

And what about Killzone 2? The game was decent but nowhere near a a 90+/100 quality game.

#8 Edited by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

I think the D-list internet celebrity factor is playing into it. Some aren't as much journalists as much as they are personalities who review games as well. Happens the most on IGN, the way some of the articles are written sometimes are nothing resembling legitimate journalistic articles. Very casually written and not much depth or insight.

Back when internet reviews and these websites were pretty new, the reviewers were held to a higher standard and more was expected out of their top writers, imo. Used to get ridiculously in depth, multipage reviews that really delved into specifics about almost EVERY factor of the game, rather than just random, cherry picked arguments to justify whatever score they wanted to give it.

#9 Posted by Nightflash28 (2062 posts) -

I absolutely agree. Gaming journalism has and continues to go down the drain. GS is a perfact example for that. The site used to be so great, but it has become full of incredibly badly written articles that just rechew what the devs tell them, often don't even offer any information and when the author makes an attempt at critical thinking, we get BS articles like McShea's "Rainbow Six offended me because the hostage was female".

A bit off the mark: I disagree a lot with the scores that the linked video threw around. Bioshock Infinte was one of my favourite games last year. I don't know why shortly after release it was suddenly so cool to hate this game. From the opening sequence until the very end I was totally immersed in Columbia. Any game that can grab me like that deserves at least an 8.

Also: really? They had to pick Last of Us? There are so many games that are so crazily overscored (look at CoD getting 9's almost every single year for doing the same thing over and over). Last of Us was a fantastic experience. Game of the year? Perhaps not to all, but honestly it's up there.

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

i just stick to giany bomb. everyone else is mostly terrible

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

Going?

They are at the bottom hand-shoveling their way through the dirt trying to get deeper.

#12 Posted by donalbane (16189 posts) -

T'was ever thus, and ever thus shall be.

#13 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

The hell is this? I hate every freaking video game: the musical?

#14 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#15 Posted by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

They simply aren't objective enough, nor are the publicaitons they work for. Half the time they are marketing arms for the publishers/console manufacturers, the rest of the time they are too busy creating news (whether by being outraged at this or that, or otherwise grandstanding/editorializing rather than reporting and critiquing the games).

#16 Posted by TheEroica (13299 posts) -

When you begin associating the concept of being out of touch, agenda mongering or being just plain unresearched and stupid with numerous gaming journalists you know you're not in good shape.

I'd love to see just the facts... and I'd like to see a gaming media that understands that their personal opinions and agendas about the ethics and values of gaming isn't interesting nor valid.... but that's just me.

#17 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17319 posts) -

I think back to the first Assassins Creed and now Watch Dogs and Titanfall. Games that got these huge scores but now...no one really likes or admits to liking anymore. Seriously wtf.

#18 Edited by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

I think back to the first Assassins Creed and now Watch Dogs and Titanfall. Games that got these huge scores but now...no one really likes or admits to liking anymore. Seriously wtf.

I still like the first Assassin's Creed.

>_>

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Was gaming journalism ever good ?

Your 1st mistake was thinking the score is anything other than subjective bias.....

Its always been a stupid way to critique a game.

#20 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3355 posts) -

When you begin associating the concept of being out of touch, agenda mongering or being just plain unresearched and stupid with numerous gaming journalists you know you're not in good shape.

I'd love to see just the facts... and I'd like to see a gaming media that understands that their personal opinions and agendas about the ethics and values of gaming isn't interesting nor valid.... but that's just me.

Sounds good to me as well.

Facts/clearly subjective impressions along with footage tells a whole lot.

TotalBiscuit might not be everyone's cup of tea, but his "wtf is" videos make it rather easy to get impressions. You're certainly not being sold anything.

#21 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21520 posts) -

#22 Posted by sibu_xgamer (329 posts) -

The main example of this is Gamespot. When one of the biggest video game sites in the world hires a troll like Tom McShea as a reviewer then you know the market is pretty much crap.

#23 Edited by uninspiredcup (7792 posts) -

About the closest thing you will get to good journalism is angry pc gamers tell you how shit console gaming is.

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6896 posts) -

About the closest thing you will get to good journalism is angry pc gamers tell you how shit console gaming is.

That doesn't come close to resembling good journalism. It's just bad trolling.

#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (7792 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That doesn't come close to resembling good journalism. It's just bad trolling.

They actually make really valid arguments.

- Movie games

- DLC

- Preoder bonus

- Season Pass

- Free2play micro-transactions on top of fully prices game

- Dumbed down fps

- The death of strategy and adventure games

- Withholding graphics

- Simplified game-play

- Online racism

It seems like they are the hero we deserve. I admire them deeply. Especially the ones who act like they are better. Obnoxiousness is a well known sign of intelligence.

#26 Posted by inb4uall (5338 posts) -

Learn to troll better.

On topic I get my reviews for youtubers now. People like total biscuit who aren't complete idiots.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Nightflash28

Maybe all that subjective immersion made you blind to Bioshock Infinite's many many short commings !

#28 Edited by Krelian-co (10359 posts) -

why would you say that?

#29 Edited by uninspiredcup (7792 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Learn to troll better.

On topic I get my reviews for youtubers now. People like total biscuit who aren't complete idiots.

This being the fellow who attempted to sell Takedown: Red Sabre to everyone

#30 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

Not really they always sucked

#31 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@uninspiredcup

I agree with all that except "Oversimplified Gameplay".... Especially considering PC Gaming is not known for its diverse selection of genres......

#32 Edited by uninspiredcup (7792 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@uninspiredcup

I agree with all that except "Oversimplified Gameplay".... Especially considering PC Gaming is not known for its diverse selection of genres......

My friend, they generally mean in terms of titles that are held back to pander. Which (as a console gamer) I can agree with. We are guilty of this. Or rather, Publishers are for assuming we lack intelligence. Or rather, we are, for letting the Publishers assume we lack intelligence.

One of the many admirable things about pc gamers, they take a stance, constantly. They even helped console users when they hacked Sony. Really impressive stuff.

We could learn much from the hardcore pc gaming community. Too passive.

#33 Posted by inb4uall (5338 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Learn to troll better.

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Compared to the gamespot editors and writers I find him to be much more reliable. Again, learn to troll better.

#34 Edited by uninspiredcup (7792 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@inb4uall said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Learn to troll better.

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Compared to the gamespot editors and writers

Gamespot spotted it was shit right away. In fact I personally (who sadly bought the title) spotted and recorded it within 15 minutes.

It appears the attitude you have adopted here, is what is commonly called an "apologist". You like him, so you give him a free pass, for what is essentially, complete and utter incompetence. Gamespot, being much easier to dislike, does not. It's a very bias and unfair viewpoint.

#35 Posted by LordQuorthon (5282 posts) -

That song made me want to choke a puppy.

#36 Posted by Roler42 (587 posts) -

You're at least 4 years late

#37 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Your 1st mistake was thinking the score is anything other than subjective bias.....

#38 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4367 posts) -

gaming journalism is beyond terrible

i pay little attention to it

#39 Edited by jsmoke03 (12734 posts) -

wait, you think game journalists have no bias? lol

#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Same. I hate it even more when they make up shit to get offended by

#42 Edited by CyberLips (1814 posts) -
#43 Posted by parkurtommo (26448 posts) -

Meh. Doesn't really matter what they do, we'll always need them for their convenient coverage of events and game releases. Reviews are important if you're somewhat undecided with a purchase, but that can also be dealt with by watching people just play the game. I think reviews are still more than relevant.

But yes, there seems to be a lot of bias and maaaybe some corruption going on. But I think Gamespot is one of the better places in that sense.

#44 Edited by GreySeal9 (24054 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

with twitch, youtube and demos who needs reviews anymore? The only use reviews have these days is for bragging right in SW.

After playing a bit of Xenoblade and MGS4, 2 games with 90+/100 on Metacritic I couldn't care less about reviews. I liked MGS4 for what it was, fan service, but as a game? It was trash.

And what about FF13? 80+/100 on Metacritic. lol

And what about Killzone 2? The game was decent but nowhere near a a 90+/100 quality game.

Having the expectation that review scores should line up with your personal opinions=immature.

#45 Posted by thomasmcshea (19 posts) -

we get BS articles like McShea's "Rainbow Six offended me because the hostage was female".

Hey, I take offense to that. That article took a lot of work to make.

#46 Edited by thomasmcshea (19 posts) -

we get BS articles like McShea's "Rainbow Six offended me because the hostage was female".

Hey, I take offense to that. That article took a lot of work to make.

#47 Posted by GreySeal9 (24054 posts) -

Game journalists>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the cynical tards and manbabies on these forums.

#48 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6133 posts) -

If I were to have a proper response to this topic, it would resemble the size of the Unibomber's Manifest.

#49 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4695 posts) -

Welcome to the early 2000s bro. Gaming journalism has been a complete joke for a long time now.

I do agree with some of the above comments though. The overly sensitive politically correct circle jerk has reached a boiling point recently.

#50 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

The moment politics and personal agendas started creeping in, gaming journalism was dropped into a vat of acid and it's been dissolving away ever since.